Linux Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Linux Appreciation Thread

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I have recently gotten a Raspberry Pi that I have to program in C. As such I have been doing a lot of work in Linux, particularly on my laptop, which is running Ubuntu.

I really like the Unity interface, and how customizable it is with compiz. I love using workspaces, which are smoother and more stable than the multiple desktops blatantly shoehorned into Windows 10. Virtual terminals are also handy for many of the same reasons, especially considering the fact that I do a lot of work in the command line.

Vim is a bitch to learn, but the more you work with it, the more you
force yourself to
start to love it.

Actually getting SSH to work between the Pi and my Laptop felt like a miracle! It was always really clunky to try and do things like that in Windows, and I could never 100% accomplish any projects I set out to do in a Workgroup environment.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Why bother with cameras for that setup? It would probably be simpler just to hook up bead containers for each color bead and have the arm move in pre-calibrated values based on the distance from each container to the arm. Other than that the idea sounds really cool :)

But as far as the programming goes, I need to take a grayscale pixel value from a webcam and raise an array of pins based on that value for a research project. The goal is to have it done in real time at a decent framerate, which is why it's being done in C instead of Python.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:59 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

KDE is worse and GNOME is zzzzzzzzz
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Well manjaro's a new one for me
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:39 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Setting up Arch is one of the best ways to learn linux but idk how I feel about actually trying to use it
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (isolation #5) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I might have to try that again. Last time I tried using Ubuntu as my main desktop I kept running into issues with skype and flash. Now that both of those are basically dead I shouldn't have an issue anymore. I might still run into Mp3 issues though. Updating linux is still more painful than windows updates too. Hmmmm

Return to “General Discussion”