Rock and shit

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:08 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 5, Killthestory wrote:The Police have some of the greatest classics of rock.

Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, I'm probably missing one but insert it here

One you're missing is probably Every Breath You Take.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #12 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:14 am

Post by Davsto »

Not a Police fan?

Lots of people are. They're generally considered as a pretty good band, and it's easy to see why.

Sometimes it irritates me when people act like their opinion is absolute fact, but hey, that's life.

But what really gets on my nerves is when they put other people down for disagreeing with their "correct" opinion.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #40 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Post by Davsto »

Tbh Kublai yours sounded a tad more pretentious to me
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:03 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 46, Elbirn wrote:I have a better conversation

Is it inherently flawed/douchy to criticize a subjective opinion? Can art even be bad or good?

Depends what you mean by criticise.

If someone says they like a band and you say "cool, I don't really like them because of X Y and Z reasons, but I respect that you like them" or something along those lines, that's more than reasonable.

If someone says they like a band and you say "wow they're really shit you have really shit tastes in music" or something along those lines, that's kinda crappy.

As to whether art can be bad or good, yes, it can. However, even if it is objectively bad, people can still subjectively like it, and vice versa. For example, I could probably make a competent case on how lots of modern art is meaningless, pretentious, overpriced bullshit, but some people still pay millions for it.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #92 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Post by Davsto »

I think the closest thing to a country song I listen to is Rocky Raccoon by the Beatles
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #103 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 97, PJ. wrote:And when I say big sound, I don't mean loudness or audience size. Are you English as a second language or something? Listen to stuff that's considered hard rock. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Deep Purple, Zeppelin type stuff. That classic rock sound is extinct. No one makes music like that anymore. My original point, which apparently has been written off as pretentious fuckery, is that everything out right now, is not rock. It's just not. It's not a judgement of value. It's an objective statement.

all you've proved here is that "hard rock is no longer around"

to say that there is no rock at all is pretty much entirely wrong considering how wide a range of things the "rock" title covers, and how it is an ever-evolving genre etc etc

It's like saying that "pop is no longer around" because it doesn't sound like it did in the 80s

Return to “General Discussion”