Song Contest 92 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Post by Parama »

I'll figure out what to submit when I'm home
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Post by Parama »

sent the most sc-baity song off an album i really adore
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Post by Parama »

high points, but not my 12
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:05 am

Post by Parama »

i won't win this contest because i'm going to be cut, and then next contest someone else is going to enter something even better so that i can't win

mostly i just want my record to perpetuate into infinity
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Post by Parama »

maybe i should change to a song i know will rightside
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Parama »

probably. i dunno. tbh i don't look into the lyrics of songs that much unless i'm really curious.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:37 am

Post by Parama »

scissors.png
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Post by Parama »

everyone died bcuz of Y2k16, also because they're all too busy getting over all the musician deaths this year
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (isolation #8) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:31 am

Post by Parama »

be vewy quiet, i'm hunting wabbles
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (isolation #9) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm

Post by Parama »

in legacy years the results were in two columns and any place beneath 14th ended up in the second column, the right side of the results image
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (isolation #10) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Post by Parama »

yeah i'd be all for shorter deadlines
sure you might get less entries per contest, but you get to run two contests in the time it used to take to run one
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Post by Parama »

you can be my BF, quil
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Post by Parama »

quil doesn't give A's to anything unless it's basically perfect and anything lower than a B is a failure so he gives it an F
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #13) » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Post by Parama »

unrelated to anything, 1. i've been spinning algiers album, it's great 2. i ordered the julia holter album yesterday with my monthly music haul
anyways

Chad – Yup, I hate everything about this. Even the music is just awful. Legitimately one of the worst songs I’ve heard in a while.

Iceland – Honestly I could’ve picked basically any song of this album, Driftwood is particularly good while Butcher the Song and A Gentleman Caller are probably way too weird, while The Recluse is way too safe, this feels just right. Amazing album though that everyone should check out.

Western Sahara – Oh good, female-fronted synthpop. Just what the doctor ordered. This isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever heard or anything but it’s really repetitive and kind of obnoxious, but mostly boring. God, this is only 4 minutes long? It feels like it goes on forever.

Spain – This is pretty alright. It’s also pretty old apparently. It feels like the kind of throwback song a modern artist would try to make, except it’s not. Not fantastic or anything but passable.

China – Honestly I don’t know what to think of this. I like the kind of clunkiness induced by the triplet drums vs. the 8th note guitars, and it sounds plenty pleasant. But it doesn’t really grab me in any way. Ehh. I still enjoy it more than anything else thus far.

Burkina Faso – This is a mess. The intro doesn’t flow into the main song well at all. The drums and synth don’t feel like they belong into the same song. The singing is almost intentionally offkey. There’s barely any melody here. It’s almost constantly noisy. I kinda dig it. The singer sounds kind of like Lorde also which might help matters.

Mali – Generally pleasant and it gets decently interesting by the end but I don’t get a lot from this regardless, it’s just “nice”.

St Kitts and Nevis – Sounds like The Beatles. Apparently this is from the 80’s. I guess there’s a bit of that sound to it but it really feels like someone trying to copy The Beatles, and honestly doing a decent enough job at it, it’s got a similar sound but enough to keep it distinct.

Cote d’Ivoire – Oh, female-fronted metal. Something I’ve never been that big into. I dunno. A lot of female metal singers sound really similar. There’s a symphonic element to this, because of course there is. But I mean yeah this is pretty solid and I still enjoy it well enough. Just not that unique. But I’m a sucker for metal, even when it’s kinda bland.

all things considered, this was actually a quite solid group
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (isolation #14) » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:53 am

Post by Parama »

i do the songs in groups, i don't do them all at once
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (isolation #15) » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Post by Parama »

Wales – I don’t really like the loud, drunken percussion, just not something I have any desire to listen to. Her voice is fine and all but beyond her voice and the percussion there isn’t a lot else to this, and when I dislike one of the two major components of the song it’s hard to get too into. The glitchy breakdown near the end is really grating too.

Portugal – Like, I dunno. This is okay, but it just feels like 5 minutes of the same exact thing. There’s very little dynamic diversity to this, it’s a lot of synths with frantic drums and a nice but not particularly impressive female vocalist.

Germany – I sort of figured this was going to be some degree of rock song but the intro tricked me with a soft synth atmosphere. But then after I got what I expected. Solid power ballad kind of song but it doesn’t really stand out. If I had any emotional connection to this I’d probably love it though. But I don’t. Solid though.

Netherlands – Ahh nice it’s folk metal. Yep, definitely a folk tune with added instrumentation. I dunno, it’s impossible for me to react to this kind of stuff anymore. It’s nice but I’ve heard it all before. Too much Arjen Lucassen.

Nauru – Ahh, something I can entirely dislike before even listening to it. I know who Death Grips are. I know what kind of music they make. This song isn’t going to change my mind. And… it didn’t. What a nice waste of 4 minutes.

St. Lucia – Ahh yes, vaguely ska-influenced indie rock. It’s “fine”.

Fiji – The drums on this are the only thing giving this any energy at all, but I kind of like the contrast. This is fine but kind of feels like it never goes anywhere, doesn’t do a lot for me.

Tibet – M83 is one of those groups that I’ve probably heard something from but wouldn’t actually know, but I do know of them. Anyways this song is… okay. A nice bright energy to it, I suppose. Piano is cool. Kinda bland overall though.

USA – The intro: I’m gonna hate this aren’t I. The song kicks in: …I stand by my previous statement honestly. This is the blandest kind of chugcore, just pure pointless heaviness. The clean vocals on the chorus are kind of alright I guess. The last few minutes are kind of okay too but it’s not really that related to the main song. I’d still pick this over a few of the songs in this contest, but not most of them.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (isolation #16) » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Post by Parama »

burkina faso is such a fascinating song still, i've already gone back and listened to it several times
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #102 (isolation #17) » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Post by Parama »

yes, as far as i've seen. i was totally okay to enter casualties of cool after having entered devin townsend not that far earlier
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #108 (isolation #18) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Parama »

personally it tends to vary. There are some genres I prefer male vocals and some I prefer female, though generally I'm okay with both. One of the albums I have in the mail is a metal group with a black female singer and I'm super excited for it, lead single was amazing
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (isolation #19) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Post by Parama »

i got bored listening to songs from the last group i have so i went and checked out more georgia songs instead

none of the other ones i listened to have been particularly compelling tho, shame
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #113 (isolation #20) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Post by Parama »

Finland – I never want to listen to a “dance version” of anything, but okay. I don’t imagine I would’ve cared much for this anyways. Random rapping because that’s what pop is like nowadays, I guess. Yeah, I kind of like elements of this but not the synths and not the rapping.

Greece – Okay, and this is just a Nicki Minaj copycat. Like seriously she’s just trying to sound like Nicki Minaj, just less irritating. Also with better music. But mostly this is boring.

Republic of Kugelmugel – Oh, it’s rap.

Suriname – This is a completely fine song that stands out in no way whatsoever.

Botswana – Yeah, this is alright. Lyrically a bit repetitive. Maybe a bit noisy/cluttered/unfocused etc. It’s at least kind of interesting, which I can’t say about the last four songs. It’s kind of like Woodkid if Woodkid ever took risks or pushed creative boundaries at all.

Lithuania – This is nice. Pleasant. Vaguely engaging. Might like it more on relisten. Don’t have a lot to say about it now though.

Ukraine – “This is a completely fine song that stands out in no way whatsoever.”

Central African Republic – Oh, Wings. Yeah, this doesn’t do much for me… but it’s alright, which makes it better than most of this set.

god this set was a drag. only one or two songs worth a damn and they're prob not high points songs
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (isolation #21) » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm actually gonna do a thing

burkina faso - i've relistened to this like 5 times it gets my 12 by default even tho i don't think it's quite my "favorite"
china - this is just strange enough while still being fairly normal that it'll get decent points
cote d'ivoire - i recently heard this brand of female-fronted symphonic metal called "corset metal" and that's really funny. this actually kinda bored me on relisten, anyways
germany - yeah, this did it for me on relisten for sure. i think the chorus is repeated a tad too much but what really sells this is that final verse
netherlands - ok
st. lucia - this was actually better than my initial writeup let on, it's pretty fun
botswana - this actually got on my nerves on relisten tbh. you just can't repeat the same lyric so many times and not get annoying
lithuania - i figured this was gonna grow on me on relisten and spoilers: yes
st kitts and nevis - on second listen this just made me think i'd rather be listening to the beatles
central african republic - this actually sounds like he's just trying to be the beatles again, but with a saxophone. it's closer to listening to the beatles than st kitts at least. but it's also way too long. like damn why is this 5 minutes, it should be 3 max
tibet - that dog is rlly cute. song's still just ok. rlly repetitive
fiji - i dunno, i feel like this song expects to be carried entirely by the vocals, which are good but not good enough to carry the entire song
mali - this remains a thing that exists
suriname - i literally do not remember listening to this before. yeah this is the phase where everything is just "there" and i need to stop

only my 12 and 10 are rlly good, 8 and 7 are alright too, the rest i could leave entirely.
not a horrible contest overall but not a particularly good one either
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #124 (isolation #22) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Post by Parama »

i need to figure out some more stuff to send, i have my next entry lined up but beyond that i don't think i have a lot that SC would care for
i guess devin townsend becomes eligible again next contest, there's still several tracks i could def send from him
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (isolation #23) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:03 am

Post by Parama »

pre-rabble rabblefest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #132 (isolation #24) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Post by Parama »

i felt overall weird about this one, only two strong entries and neither enough to make me want to check out the artist more, but there was a good number of at least decent songs too.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #134 (isolation #25) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:59 pm

Post by Parama »

i give your rating scale a B-/100
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (isolation #26) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Post by Parama »

snowstorm are you burkina faso
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #140 (isolation #27) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Post by Parama »

nice

i'm p. sure i'm rightsiding this contest, awesome
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (isolation #28) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Post by Parama »

i wonder how many times i came in last

just two apparently
sc18
sc58
these are literally both troll entries so that's fair enough
there were a few times where i would've been last but someone ate a -20
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #149 (isolation #29) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:21 am

Post by Parama »

butcher the song is better for sure. but SC would've HATED it.
driftwood is my favorite lately though.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (isolation #30) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:51 am

Post by Parama »

the results are here!

...april fo
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #159 (isolation #31) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 am

Post by Parama »

all I remember about 4 degrees is that woodkid wouldn't stop singing "it's only 4 degrees"
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (isolation #32) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am

Post by Parama »

wow my 12 still has no points
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #167 (isolation #33) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:17 am

Post by Parama »

legit though art is hard would've done at least a bit better than this but it's me in a sc so it makes sense at least
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #175 (isolation #34) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 am

Post by Parama »

my next entry will right side even harder then
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #180 (isolation #35) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Post by Parama »

^yw :P

the highest I got from anyone was like a 6 lol
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #183 (isolation #36) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Post by Parama »

if I was here to win I would've snapped years ago
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”