I am opinionated about modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #24 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 am

Post by Postie »

In post 0, N wrote:(why do people have a seperate spoiler for modkills?? are you planning on modkilling people?).

I never understood this. Like, can you not just put them in the dead spoiler?
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 am

Post by Postie »

In post 22, Plotinus wrote:If someone's due for a prod in the middle of the night, is it okay to wait until you wake up at whenever you were going to wake up at to prod them? I always feel bad about being late on prods but I don't want to get up at 3am either.

Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 33, mastin2 wrote:Dead serious, if your rules are longer than a screenwidth and contain basic, redundant, and even obsolete information that's frankly unnecessary to include? I'm not reading that shit. I'm just assuming you don't have anything remotely surprising in your rules.

In contrast, if I see a short, neat, ruleset that is directly to the point and contains just the essentials? Damn right I'll read it. It's short. I have no reason not to read it.

I wasn't sure which approach to take when writing the ruleset for my upcoming game, so what I ended up doing was writing a comprehensive set of rules and then putting a tl;dr of the most important bits at the bottom. I think Ploti does something similar.

While we're on this subject though, a pet peeve of mine is mods including sitewide rules (e.g. don't quote your role PM, no trust tells, etc) in their ruleset.
Like, they're
sitewide
rules. We have a thread for them that is required reading.
And there's always a "follow the sitewide rules" rule immediately before them for extra redundancy.

Whhhhyyyyyyy
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:17 am

Post by Postie »

In post 45, Plotinus wrote:I started adding sitewide rules into my ruleset because people don't click links.

In the beginning, I only had 11 rules, but by page 4 of my first game I already needed a new one (no tiny text).

Then I had 14 rules because I needed a new one to explain a mechanic and a new one to explain that twilight lasts until the next pagetop (longer if I'm afk).

I think I started adding the "everybody already knows this but i have to include it anyway" rules to my ruleset when i started modding newbie games. I didn't have "don't talk about ongoing" in my ruleset until two newbies PMed each other because they hadn't clicked the link in "follow all site rules" and didn't know it wasn't okay. And then in the second newbie game I modded someone used to a different site meta suggested they find someone they can trust to be town and then "whisper" their roles to that person, so I had to put a pre-emptive reminder in my page 2 votecount.

I didn't have details about how to vote in my ruleset before i started modding newbie games either.

I have 22 rules now :|

Oh, yeah, in newbie games I can understand it. If ever moderate newbie games, I'll probably make a separate ruleset for them that's my usual rules + more common sense stuff. That, or I'll include a
massive
scary-looking notice telling people to read the sitewide rules above my ruleset.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (isolation #4) » Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 am

Post by Postie »

Yeah, but then the VCs don't show up in your ISO.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”