Quota SK

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Quota SK

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:09 am

Post by The Fonz »

How would people feel about an SK role where the aim is not to survive to the end, but to carry out X number of nightkills personally? I think it might be an interesting variant, to encourage properly bloodthirsty SK play.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:17 am

Post by gorckat »

I thought most SKs had to kill each night, making survival, more or less, a side effect of them winning (even thought the actual Win Condition
is
be worded 'survival')?
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Alasdair »

SKs are usually bloodthirsty anyway that's the point of the role to have fun with night kills

SKs typically don't win games, the reward is the fun in the kill
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/AlasdairC/water.png[/img]
[color=blue][b]WATER[/b][/color]
[b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8224]THIS IS XYTHAR HE MOVED TO JAPAN TO WATCH ANIME[/url][/b]
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 am

Post by Thesp »

The Fonz wrote:How would people feel about an SK role where the aim is not to survive to the end, but to carry out X number of nightkills personally? I think it might be an interesting variant, to encourage properly bloodthirsty SK play.
I'm working on a "Townies Matter" game whereby the SK vs. Mafia win condition is based upon who kills more vanilla townies - it has a similar idea to this.
Alasdair wrote:SKs are usually bloodthirsty anyway that's the point of the role to have fun with night kills

This is a sign of bad game design and/or play strategy.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Sarcastro
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastro
Sarcastric
Sarcastric

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:28 am

Post by Sarcastro »

SKs should have a decent chance at winning the game. If they don't, you get situations like in Consulmaker, where I got to endgame as SK only to be killed by an unnkable godfather. I'll tell you from experience that that wasn't very fun.
[color=darkblue]If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.[/color]
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:29 am

Post by Alasdair »

The point of a game is to have fun, so I don't see how. Do you dispute that the win ratio of SKs is far lower than mafia and town in games with SKs? SK victories are rather rare, but they're fun as hell to play.
[b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8224]THIS IS XYTHAR HE MOVED TO JAPAN TO WATCH ANIME[/url][/b]
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:54 am

Post by The Fonz »

Alasdair wrote:
SKs are usually bloodthirsty anyway that's the point of the role to have fun with night kills

SKs to my experience are not bloodthirsty 'usually,' they are more often than not, not. I tend to think SKs ought to be played bloodthirsty unless there's compelling flavour reasons for it being otherwise, even if not required to be so by the rules, but that's a whole different matter.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:56 am

Post by Xythar »

I'm in support of anything that curtails the "I'm the SK but I'm going to ally iwth the town" play because to me that is one of the more annoying gambits currently used in Mafia. I usually make it a point to lynch any SK that claims and offers an alliance, or at the very least to block them every night if there's any chance of there being a backup SK.
50 pounds of bread
50 pounds of bread
Townie
50 pounds of bread
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:58 am

Post by 50 pounds of bread »

SK's are supposed to be super hard to play as, it's what makes the role so good. One time a guy won as an SK because he convinced us that he was a night killing vig instead of a serial killer.
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 am

Post by Mexal »

Alasdair wrote:
The point of a game is to have fun, so I don't see how. Do you dispute that the win ratio of SKs is far lower than mafia and town in games with SKs? SK victories are rather rare, but they're fun as hell to play.
SKs games are hard to win, at least that's my experience.

I won a SK game once though I wasn't that bloodthirsty. The rules stated I was only allowed to kill once every other night :(
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:42 am

Post by Mexal »

EBWOP:

On topic with the thread, I think trying to survive to the end is the great part about playing an SK. That being said, even if you lose, it's still one of the most fun roles I've ever played.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

WTH is Backup SK? Somebody's been watching Saw III too much.... :?

Does Something Awful ever give SK's additional benefits like partial NK/investigation immunity? That, applied judiciously, evens the playing field somewhat...
Retired as of October 2014.
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 am

Post by Alasdair »

Mr. Flay wrote:WTH is Backup SK? Somebody's been watching Saw III too much.... :?

Does Something Awful ever give SK's additional benefits like partial NK/investigation immunity? That, applied judiciously, evens the playing field somewhat...
yup, usually

We did do a fun game when everybody was an SK with no NK immunity, that was pretty chill
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 am

Post by Mexal »

Mr. Flay wrote:WTH is Backup SK? Somebody's been watching Saw III too much.... :?

The SK's that I have played were bulletproof. We felt that it gave them a better shot at winning the game. Of course, that hasn't stopped them from losing considering the mafia knows who they are, but still. It helped me.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 am

Post by Primate »

I won a game as SK once by virtue of getting a townie role. (I was a secret SK)

EDIT SO THIS ISN'T IRRELEVANT: I do not get why quota SK is a better idea than normal SK.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:15 am

Post by Aisar »

Yah, I actually like SKs that have no special benefits to be perfectly honest. It keeps me sharp, and I surprise myself at how good I am with that weight over my head. I once got to a Ghost of Lincoln LYLO with what essentially was an SK role and would have had the game in the bag is a terrible, terrible player (Transmission) had of been there to vote.
Show
[color=green]Earth

Member of Team chillax, Fellow brosefs (and Sisef) of the chill: Tuckfard, Braki, Golden Zucchini, Kloaked, Wuntvor,[/color] [color=blue] and Alasdair[/color]

PM me if you wish to be added to the list
Lazy
Lazy
Townie
Lazy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 am

Post by Lazy »

Aisar wrote:
Yah, I actually like SKs that have no special benefits to be perfectly honest. It keeps me sharp, and I surprise myself at how good I am with that weight over my head. I once got to a Ghost of Lincoln LYLO with what essentially was an SK role and would have had the game in the bag is a terrible, terrible player (Transmission) had of been there to vote.
Hey chief police of the serial killer patrol, don't forget Ragnarok mafia :wink:
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

50 pounds of bread wrote:
SK's are supposed to be super hard to play as, it's what makes the role so good. One time a guy won as an SK because he convinced us that he was a night killing vig instead of a serial killer.
That's the classic gambit. You get plenty of SK's who go ahead and kill a scummy-looking player N1 to set this up.

I would prefer a "Kill immunities aren't kill immunities in the endgame" clause to an SK quota to fix endgame wonkiness, but as a flavor/mechanic it would be interesting.
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2

Return to “Mafia Discussion”