Brexit

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Lol yeah, right.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 71, springlullaby wrote:Chilling don't you think, when governing bodies from the so called free world think referendums are their ennemies and would actively maneuver to quash them in the bud.

What does the west has to sell to the rest of the world beside the democratic ideal and freedom?
Not really, no.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Disheartening then, perhaps? At least?

BTW, even if I'm pro-europe, I think the EU in its current manifestation has a very big lot of room for improvement.
In regard to the democratic process for exemple, most rich european countries are used to direct elections. But right now, while the nations have handed over legislative power to the EU in a number of domains, there is zero effort to engage more involvement and scrutiny from the general populace. The EU governing bodies feel like distant back kitchens that would like to remain this way. Hence the understandable claim about sovereignty.

There is also a terrible lack of cultural/ideological integration, not only because of existing differences, but due to and emphasized by the mercantile priorities of the project. If you were to ask an 'european' the question 'what europe is about?', they will be very hard pressed to come up with an answer beside 'free trade'. That just doesn't foster any sentiment of adhesion.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Post by zoraster »

I don't think you have to believe the EU is perfect, democratic or even very good to realize that leaving was a dumb, dumb decision that hurts the very people who voted for it because of disinformation and false promises brought on by malfeasance of politicians who thought they could use something like this as a political pawn to shore up their right flank.

If you're sitting there as Germany or France and you don't particularly want the EU to unravel, you need to make sure that people don't think they can get just as good a deal outside of the EU as within in. And you can point to sovereignty and democracy, but the countries within the EU also have those things and can and should retain the right to act as they think prudent for their own interests if the countries they're dealing with won't engage with them on their terms -- in this case favorable special terms given to the UK.

In other words, there is a mechanism with which countries can withdraw in Article 50. You get to negotiate the terms of your removal, but if other countries can afford to they get to shrug their shoulders at your market adjustment and wipe their hands of you.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -leave-it/

"What is the EU?"

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 am

Post by mykonian »

idk. It's appealing to think: "Well, we just tell Brussels we don't need their laws, we'll do with a few less immigrants. Then we renegotiate some trade agreements and it won't be so good but then what did I ever see of that? We can cut the middleman if we just get the subsidies from London in stead of through Brussels".

But then you wake up, the pound has dropped off a cliff, Scotland is seriously thinking about leaving again and the prime minister has quit. Suddenly it's not "going to be alright" and what is happening is rather confusing. Can't exactly begrudge people for trying to figure out what's coming next, but yes, wished they had done that beforehand :(
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:11 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

CDB move to Canada
To be clear: quack
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:39 am

Post by springlullaby »

In post 78, zoraster wrote:I don't think you have to believe the EU is perfect, democratic or even very good to realize that leaving was a dumb, dumb decision that hurts the very people who voted for it because of disinformation and false promises brought on by malfeasance of politicians who thought they could use something like this as a political pawn to shore up their right flank.
That's quite true, but perhaps sovereignty is worth it in their mind.
I mean, if you ask a russian guy or a chinese if they regret staying communist back then (even if individual choice wasn't involved to the least), the answer will probably be no.

I don't think the UK's prospects are quite as dire as some of the media are making them out to be right now. The US and the EU both have interest in keeping the UK in the loop if they don't want it to come under the russian/asian/arabian spheres of influence. And there is the strong internal, political pressure the EU is facing. I don't think it is realistic to expect democratic nations to swallow the one and only way of the EU pill for much longer. In the words of Machiavelli, you need to rule by fear and by love. The EU has done very little of the latter up until now. If it doesn't reform, it will fail, and in that sense, Brexit is a good thing for the EU.

And then I don't think it is realistic to expect corporations to abandon en masse either the 9th largest economy by GPD or the EU sans UK. Where would they go to? China? Ha. Good luck with protectionism over there.

Anyway, exciting times.

ps I think this article sum it up nicely http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/upsho ... later.html
Last edited by springlullaby on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:02 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 81, SleepyKrew wrote:CDB move to Canada
rude
Trans rights are human rights.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:04 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

Nexus move to Canada
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:28 am

Post by mykonian »

heh, funny that you should say that. If you've had the Norwegian option (part of the market, free labour movement, no political influence), the swiss (part of the market, no political influence), next option is the Canada one. A special set of trade agreements between a foreign country and the EU (there's a small set of nations like that, but Canada was the first). That should be a baseline goal of the Brits to make in the two years that they move away from the EU, because otherwise they leave with no special connection at all, while they were very connected to the European market.

I'm with springlullaby in a way. The UK had a pretty good deal, which they are going to lose. Europe has nothing to gain from ruining the Brits and I don't believe it takes much to make the Brits be worse off. After that I suspect the bigger issue is what the Brits could get through parliament. It won't be popular politically, unless there are some changes, to once again pay money to Brussels or still accept the Polish labourers coming in, which really limits the options.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 am

Post by AniX »

Democracy isn't valuable in its own right. Democracy is valuable because we have concluded that it is the best way to guarantee the rights of people.

For the EU to encourage (by lack of punishment) countries to think referendums are a good idea (and hurt their populations) just to uphold some vague democratic ideal is like selling one's car to buy gasoline.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:30 am

Post by springlullaby »

Hurt their population, how?
The democratic deal is not there to guarantee anything but the usurpation of power from the masse by the few. That's what rights of the people means.
There is nothing vague about the democratic ideal. What is this misplaced cynicism and arrogance.
Is it practical to consult each individual on all topics? No. But if you think the masse is ignorant, you can only blame the elite for not doing their job at educating it.

And the Brexit situation was more of a choice between 'selling your car and your gazoline' or 'selling your car and your gazoline anyway'. Find the stronger incentive behind that.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:40 am

Post by Katsuki »

SlappyKrew move to Canada.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 87, springlullaby wrote:But if you think the masse is ignorant, you can only blame the elite for not doing their job at educating it.
That takes someone special and you know it. This is an unfair statement.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:01 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 88, Katsuki wrote:SlappyKrew move to Canada.
If the US leaves the European Union, sure.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 am

Post by springlullaby »

In post 89, mykonian wrote:
In post 87, springlullaby wrote:But if you think the masse is ignorant, you can only blame the elite for not doing their job at educating it.
Well, stupid and ignorant people exist. But you have to question the competitive advantage of intelligence and education if intelligent and educated people can't successfully make stupid and ignorant people do their biding.

;)
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:18 am

Post by Bella »

Our system is not direct democracy for a reason. Some issues are too nuanced and complex for people who are not experts in the relevant field and do not have the time to be completely informed about the issue to make decisions that have such a dramatic effect on the country. Instead, we elect people to do the specific job of being informed and if not being experts, to take advice on people whose job is to know all the nooks and crannies of knowledge about a subject so that they can make good decisions on our behalf. Of the elected representatives of Great Britain, the people chosen to be informed and make the decisions on the people's behalf, overwhelmingly supported remain. By putting it to a referendum, Cameron let the Murdoch media machine and a bunch of dishonest, sleazy former journalists (Johnson and Gove, both of whom lost jobs as journalists for lying to their readers) did what all extremist groups do, try and recruit people to their cause by blaming all their problems on a bogeyman, the immigrant, and used that to get the result they wanted.

"I could not dig; I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?" - Rudyard Kipling
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:31 am

Post by AniX »

In post 87, springlullaby wrote:Hurt their population, how?
The democratic deal is not there to guarantee anything but the usurpation of power from the masse by the few. That's what rights of the people means.
There is nothing vague about the democratic ideal. What is this misplaced cynicism and arrogance.
Is it practical to consult each individual on all topics? No.
But if you think the masse is ignorant, you can only blame the elite for not doing their job at educating it.

And the Brexit situation was more of a choice between 'selling your car and your gazoline' or 'selling your car and your gazoline anyway'. Find the stronger incentive behind that.
It is very difficult to educate self-interest/selfishness out of someone.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 am

Post by AniX »

In post 91, springlullaby wrote:
In post 89, mykonian wrote:
Well, stupid and ignorant people exist. But you have to question the competitive advantage of intelligence and education if intelligent and educated people can't successfully make stupid and ignorant people do their biding.

;)
You assume all intelligent and educated people are on the same side.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Making first, tentative investigations into jobs on the continent. But still kind of want to wait to see if anyone actually pushes the button on Article 50.
#greenshirtthursdays
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Post by mykonian »

I wouldn't doubt that, but the extent this changes life might be limited. You may be fine cdb, depending on what they arrange during those 2 years.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

It's the principle of the thing as much as anything. Britain is turning into something really quite horrible on a lot of fronts, and the symbology of this decision is very possibly the final straw for me.
#greenshirtthursdays
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 46, Tere wrote:Shellshocked and miserable and not even really able to English about this at the moment.

The BBC coverage is OK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
*hug*

You probably don't want to be at MR, strong for leave there.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 53, Fenchurch wrote:
In post 12, BBmolla wrote:Can someone explain why they did this and what it means
Why they did this:
Spoiler:

What it means:
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... yxD59VO3Nb
Yeah but look at all those attractive migrants I mean they got the pictures right there next to the headlines
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Return to “General Discussion”