Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 365, PJ. wrote:
In post 364, Bins wrote:Favour the Shooter means the latency is favoured towards the Shooter. Therefore, some projectiles will register as hitting you even though you don't see it hit you because latency. The Shooter sees it hit you.

The fact you aren't hitting anything is just cause you're new and learning curve.
I'm hitting though. I see it hit like crazy. The bullets just don't do any damage. I'm playing D.Va. Will tee off on torbjun or bastion for like...10 seconds without any response. then I die to either turret damage or bastion shooting me 3 times.

Just got number 1 in kills and damage. Wasn't even available for MVP vote.

KOTH is fun. The attack defend games are not fun.
D.Va doesn't do damage with her guns and they're considering giving her a slight damage buff to compensate for it but her deflection and zoning is insane. she's really good at disrupting healers and giving your team cover to move to another point. but don't play her expecting to be able to out dps a torb or bastion

don't play anyone expecting to out dps a well placed torb turret or bastion. you need reinhardt shield or winston's disrupt or long range snipes to take them out
green shirt thursdays
Xayzeck
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Xayzeck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Post by Xayzeck »

In post 360, Flameaxe wrote:
In post 358, hiplop wrote:play genji
Basically this. Press e aim at bastion, laugh as he kills himself

Pharah can deal with torbjorn turrets alright too.

Basically the game centers around a lot of counter mechanics and the cheese isn't all that great once you get the right picks.
a smart bastion would wait until your e is over and proceed to wreck your ass

and level 2 torb turrets won't die in the 2 seconds of e you're deflecting its bullets.

genji works as a counter, but unless it's a level 1 turret or a dumb bastion(which is pretty common) you'll have trouble. I recommend pharah, widow or hanzo for torb.
GMT+8
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Post by PJ. »

I don't want to play anyone beside Dva. She's most kawaii.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Post by hiplop »

genji genuinely gets an advantage from using skins i think. bastions shoot me much more when I'm using skins that look nothing like genji
third best scummer of all time
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:59 am

Post by PokerFace »

Junkrat also good at wrecking torb and bastion. Arc your grenades and get them from various ranges. High dps and spam
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:21 am

Post by PokerFace »

This game does have a learning curve. I was frustrated when i started playing. Now that I am learning what counters what and when to pick what, I am having more fun.

Still I feel this game is lacking in a few areas.

1. It
requires
more teamwork than tf2.
Someone picks the wrong class, your team comp is bad against what the enemy does, you will not have fun. Its always 6v6 instead of 12v12 or 9v9 like tf2, which gives you better odds of having a medic or someone with a brain on your team.

2. Instead of playing what you want to play, I feel this game forces you to play certain things.
In tf2 if I want to play demo and test a new loadout I can do that immediately on a lot of different maps and in the situations I want to test it. If I just want to play Heavy and there is an enemy good at stopping me, I can equip different weapons to counter them back and still play as heavy, the class I want to play as, and win. The elements of tf2 can casually adapt and even allow me to mess around as shotgun heavy for the lulz. If I want to play junkrat where I feel he is good, I need the right map with the right spam ability. And if I don't get those things, I won't win or have fun. I will have to play something else that I may not want to play.

3. Casual play is not easily viable
You can have fun in more ways with worse teams in tf2 while you can never have that in overwatch. I think I like tf2 more as you can carry your team easier in there and have fun playing what you want more easily. You can have 3 snipers on your team, and you can still win in tf2. You have 3 windows on your team, you will loose every game in overwatch. You have 3 engies in tf2 against you, there are many ways to win and play against it. You are against 3 torbs, 3 bastions, or a bastion with a rein in overwatch then you are forced to play certain things to maybe win. And if the entire team does not commit to this anti opponent strategy, then you lose!

4. Rank play requires leveling up in casual play to get into.
This may be a necessary evil at the moment
as I don't want trash on my team in ranked, but if I have trash on my team in casual, how will I level and win enough to get into ranked in the first place? Ranked requiring you to be good in casual feels wrong. I feel there needs to be 3 modes of play, casual, competitive and something "in between". Getting levels in "the in between" should get you into comp and provide you with people that want to play the game decently well. And casual should be more about messing around and testing and learning the game.

5. TF2 has mostly close range encounters (and characters with shotguns) overwatch has more ranged encounters and less characters with ranged adaptability.
I feel 76 has best mid range versatility and adaptability. And I didn't come to overwatch to play COD. I feel there needs to be more characters with mid range ability. You can flank and get into situations you want to be in with tf2. Overwatch's maps are more choke and ranged oriented while not many characters built for the way I want for the range I need. Fact Turrets have greater range in overwatch then sentries in tf2 also hinders the close range characters more in overwatch than it hinders the close range characters in tf2.

Overall the game caters more to itself instead of the player. You can't always play what you want to win and have fun

In this game I want to get better with D.va because I have a legendary but I have trouble doing what I want to do and figuring out how she plays. I feel I will only learn how to play as D.va by being in a situation where she is useful. And if I don't currently know what that situation is, I don't see how I will get good with her. I may have to play with you panzer to see how you and or other Dva players use her. When do most people get on and play? I need some Dva tips

Have you tried Mei Panzer? She is somewhat kawaii. Can put up walls to block turrets and then flank behind them
Last edited by PokerFace on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:40 am

Post by PJ. »

Use shield. When they run out of bullets, or you can use something as cover, use dash. Then rock em. When ult is up, either flank a group or just use the shield-dash switch and trigger it and get as far away as possible. If it nets a kill, you get your robot back. If you are about to die with ult up, might as well trigger it because you get the robot back if it nets anything.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:51 am

Post by PJ. »

Mei not kawaii. Also her gun is stupid.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:53 am

Post by PokerFace »

Edited my post some about my gripes with overwatch

may edit it more later when I don't have to get ready for a meeting at work

When do most people get on and play? We should have a group game night
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

Post by Flameaxe »

We really need an in-house night yeah
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:42 am

Post by PJ. »

Well leveling to get into competitive is standard practice. And because you get XP every game, it's just a time release. It really doesn't matter how you are playing in these games. Just that you're playing them. +, i'm like..already level 7 I think, and I've got about an hour of in-game time.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:57 am

Post by PokerFace »

my 4th point is the item that bothers me the least. Its arguably a necessary evil and a standard practice, but I still feel it needs to be handled differently and better, especially in game that requires a lot of teamwork. Having a heavily casual place to weed out people that want to run 6 snipers in a game, and in between area to get good, and a competitive place feels like a better means of handling things. I admit no one currently does that, but this game feels like it needs that, and needs it more than anyone other game needs it
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 am

Post by PokerFace »

This post emphisizes a point I made before about 76

We associate 76 with COD because of the popularity of COD. But really I feel he has aspects of many shooters

Healing regen ability comes from Halo 3
Secondary fire explosive, think Super dragon in pefect dark
Endless sprint is cod
aim bot ultimate cod and halo

I feel instead of just 76 there should have been two prototype popular shootet guys to play with

Generic Shooter Guy 1 (Versatile shooter guy similar to 76 currently)

Primary fire assault rifle
secondary helix rockets

E/F heal thing 76 currently has

Shift take cover behind an object or wall like feature
^First shift take cover behind an object. Shooting normally pops your gun around object like in 3rd person view and shoots with low accuracy. Second shift pops your body around to shoot like how you pop out of cover in arcade shooters.
Back away or move away from wall to stop taking cover

Ult aim bot 76 currently has

Generic Shooter Guy 2 (Specialized shooter guy more geared toward cod)

Primary fire assault rifle
secondary fire aim down sights

Shift endless sprint
E/F throw grenade
passive gain grenades from corpses like how torb gets scrap and reaper gets souls

Ult radar like in halo for you and entire team to access for short time
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:13 am

Post by PJ. »

The second guy seems either really OP or really UP. depends on uptime of UAV. UAV is literally banned in competitive CoD.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:21 am

Post by Flameaxe »

PF really wants a radar ult :D

I imagine it would be comparable to widows ult duration, maybe a little shorter?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:25 am

Post by PJ. »

Yeah. Widow's is stronger/ obv, but how would the compensate? Length or short cd or both?
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Realistically, blizzard would see the radar as screen clutter and would probably avoid it. They've pushed a very minimal UI I doubt they would do much to change that.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:33 am

Post by PJ. »

How do I get the little Overwatch points to buy stuff??

pedit: yeah I the game doesn't have a built in radar so....i don't see a UAV ability ever happening(this is probably why they implemented Widow's ult the way they did.)
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:03 am

Post by Flameaxe »

You get gold from loot boxes, either as gold itself or when you get something you already own.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 am

Post by PokerFace »

I have never played competitive COD nor do I ever want to as I only liked cod when it was about WW2. Once COD 3 came out, it had shitty WW2 story line with a bunch of qt events and had horribly unbalanced mutiplayer, I swear off cod.

I feel 76 is not truly the COD guy, he feels more like halo guy. And yes there is a difference. I don't want a radar. I just feel that and aim down sights are the things 76 lacks from being truly the COD guy. Though its true 76 has infinite sprint, which is a COD thing, they added infinite sprint in Halo 4. So I guess what 76 really feels like is "Halo 4 Guy". And I hated Halo 4! If I wanted to play halo 4 I would not be playing overwatch.

Halo 4 was the worst halo. It was not quite Halo 1-3 and not Quite Halo Reach and not quite Cod. Halo 4 was a game that didn't feel like it had a true identity. It tried to please and be a variety of genres and not be just one thing. I think I'd enjoy halo 4 if it was more like halo 1-3 and not some crappy side grade to what I really want. This is why I designed two different characters there. Generic shooter guy 1 is microsoft shooters (Think gears and halo) and generic guy 2 is COD guy. 76 feels like an in between generic shooter guy that is not what I really want. I'd rather he was two different guys. I'd rather have Microsoft Guy and Cod Guy, then just the crap in between.

What I actually want is a guy with actual good mid range power in this game. 76 feels the closest to being that guy. But he is not. He's moreso something I hate then something I want to play. Overwatch in some ways forces you to play what you don't want to play in order to win. And I hate that!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:00 am

Post by PokerFace »

Soldier 76~Spartan 117. Guy that's suppose to be dead in overwatch lore but comes back. At start of Halo 4, Chief had been in cryo for years. Arbiter and the others thought he might be dead after halo 3. The two even have story connections!! If Master Chief fought 76, Chief would win. You aren't master chief, you are a crappy substitute and you ain't cod guy either. Don't be in between the two of them. Either be the classic COD guy I used to like or be the classic Halo guy I used to like! Don't be the COD that wants to be halo or the Halo that wants to be COD. When those two games try to be the same thing, they both suck!

I also want a guy that can deal a lot of damage like junkrat. But junkrat has range issues. Demoman has better range than junkrat. Shorter fuse on demoman's grenades. If demo man was in a fight with junkrat, Demoman would win.

I want an adaptable range high dps guy. Pharah feels more built for long range as you fly over people and rain down hell from above.

Overwatch gives me "a taste" of what I want, something close to what I want, but not what I really want. And it forces me to play what I don't want to play in some ways.
Last edited by PokerFace on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:51 am

Post by Bins »

finally able to play again

today will be an ok day minus the fact i got screamed at by a russian guy at work
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:37 am

Post by Flameaxe »

I'm also home and playing for a bit if anyone wants to party up (or party down)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 am

Post by PJ. »

I have to sleep, but I'll be around Sunday evening maybe, Def Monday and tuesday. I've finally decided to mess with people that aren't fabulous and found my aim was lacking a bit for genji and mcree.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:56 am

Post by PokerFace »

New Idea

Keep 76 the same and add:

Name: Maverick

Primary fire plasma rifle that over heats instead of reloads if you fire it too much
secondary fire aim down sights

Shift take cover behind an object or wall like feature
^First shift take cover behind an object. Shooting normally pops your gun around object like in 3rd person view and shoots with low accuracy. Second shift pops your body around to shoot like how you pop out of cover in arcade shooters.
Back away or move away from wall to stop taking cover

E/F throw grenade
passive gain grenades from corpses like how torb gets scrap and reaper gets souls

Ult Short period of time where your plasma gun won't overheat and you have endless pool of grenades

Now there's a guy that packs the range and power I want.
Last edited by PokerFace on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Arcade”