Site Downtime (July 2016)

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Site Downtime (July 2016)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:23 am

Post by Kison »

Hello,

As you probably know, the site became unavailable around noon EDT yesterday. From what I understand, the datacenter hosting our server experienced extreme networking issues. The server did not come back online until about an hour ago, after which we had to repair some damaged database tables. We should have no data loss.

Unfortunately, we're relatively powerless when issues like this occur. As this is the second time in the past few months we have had extended downtime, I'll be talking to Mith to discuss moving to a hosting solution where we have more control over our machinery.

Questions? Ask away!
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #58 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:24 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 5, SirCakez wrote:Is Marathon weekend being extended?
As of now, it is not.
In post 1, BipolarChemist wrote:
In post 0, Kison wrote:Questions? Ask away!
Yeah hows life? How are you doing, man? Its been a while.
Busy, tired and full of uncertainty. I'm moving in 2 months and being pulled in 3 different directions. Thanks for asking!
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #96 (isolation #2) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:20 am

Post by Kison »

There's definitely value in the site. A lot of people visit it, it has good SEO visibility & a ton of content. That foundation is valuable and not trivial to replicate.

Would you be able to make boatloads of money monetizing it today? Probably not. But think about how basic what we have is: a message board, the onsite chat & wiki. There's a ton of room to improve:
- Better website(moving wiki content there, building face-to-face app(kind of like Fibbage), building realtime game app with simple graphics)
- Improving what we currently have: streamlining the queues, modernizing the forum gameplay, better mobile optimization

This isn't me trying to persuade anyone to buy it(I'm here because it's fun to build stuff, don't care about $), but more to get people excited about the things we can do and can build if we just get excited about and focus on it.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #160 (isolation #3) » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 146, Psyche wrote:
In post 96, Kison wrote:There's definitely value in the site. A lot of people visit it, it has good SEO visibility & a ton of content. That foundation is valuable and not trivial to replicate.

Would you be able to make boatloads of money monetizing it today? Probably not. But think about how basic what we have is: a message board, the onsite chat & wiki. There's a ton of room to improve:
- Better website(moving wiki content there, building face-to-face app(kind of like Fibbage), building realtime game app with simple graphics)
- Improving what we currently have: streamlining the queues, modernizing the forum gameplay, better mobile optimization

This isn't me trying to persuade anyone to buy it(I'm here because it's fun to build stuff, don't care about $), but more to get people excited about the things we can do and can build if we just get excited about and focus on it.
id like to help but i don't know how without being...pesky
Help me get people excited enough to participate in discussing this stuff. That's currently the greatest barrier to Having Great Things.

Return to “News”