Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 am

Post by PokerFace »

After playing some more with Ana and widow. Widow makes me play mid to long range aggressive character while ana makes me play backfield mid-long range support character. Considering how Hanzo works (make me play longe range sniper spammer, good aim not required) I really like what blizzard did with sniper classes

Hanzo has most mobility (Can always wall climb no cool down) and least defensive moves. Fact you got to draw/charge the bow makes his lack of defense even more evident

Ana has most defensive abilities and least mobility moves. ability to heal self and put enemies to sleep so you can run away

Widow has best balance of defense and mobility (Grapple has a cool down)
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:58 am

Post by PokerFace »

Builder class was handled similarly by blizzard

Torb should be most front line builder. Get that scrap, armor your friends, build and get kills at front lines

Sym is mid line builder. Give shields, turrets good for locking down certain areas not so much points or front lines

Bastion is back line gaurd. You are immobile turret after all (Seriously why isn't this guy considered builder when you select him, bliz please fix)
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 am

Post by Clumsy »

That's good to know about the Mccree thing, thank you.

I think the whole "No Builder" warning is crap. They help, sure, but I don't think it loses games for the defence team. No support/Low Damage/No tank is much more important.

On the topic of Symmetra, she really is more of a defensive character than support. I know her shielding used to be 50, and that was (apparently) too strong. So they nerfed it to 25. There was an argument that she should be still support because it is a form of healing when the shield regenerates, but that is not substantial at all. If they wanted her to be a Healer but have a different sort of healing function than the others, a suggestion I've seen is that she makes her allies' health bars like hers. As in convert half of it into Shields. They would replenish after not taking damage, not requiring Sym to be around, but only 50% of max and only out of combat. I think this would be an interesting "passive heal" for a support, and different enough from Zen and Lucio. (No idea about characters with shields already though...) But as it is, she really is a defence character. Sure, you can find uses for her on offence, but every other defence character could say that too.

On the topic of Sombra, I could see her being either support or offence. No idea what weapons would be though. Some have speculated with her revolving around information, she might have something akin to deployable cameras that act similar to a Hanzo arrow that you could place. Maybe an ability to shutdown a Rein Shield or Torb/Bastion Turret. Other than that and the stealth, I have no idea.

Think I'm going to go screw around with Mcree's FTH now.
Current game: Witch Trials Mafia, in Mini Theme Queue. 2/6 Pre-ins.

Next D&D game: In design stage.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:50 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Symetrra is a support not just for the shield but because her teleporter is effectively a delayed rez. Dead folks are back on the field sooner much sooner than they otherwise would be.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:05 am

Post by Clumsy »

Yes, the teleporter, but that's pretty much it, and in most cases, most useful on defence. Window's ult gives extreme info, but she's defence. The best comparison is with Torb. Both build turrets that work differently, both have "shields" they can give, the only thing drastcally different besides weapon is the ult. While one of the strongest ults in the game, that doesn't really sit well with me being the determining factor.

Either way though, it doesn't actually matter. You can still bring Junkrat on offence and have it work, that's pretty much the point of the game. It doesn't actually bother me, but in my mind I see her as defence.

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 503, hitogoroshi wrote:Symetrra is a support not just for the shield but because her teleporter is effectively a delayed rez. Dead folks are back on the field sooner much sooner than they otherwise would be.
I did not say symetra was not support, I just said she was a builder. She is both though probably the worst of each. This is why I mentioned some changes she should get to her shields to make her more of a support, because if you aren't warping to point A, the teleporters are practically useless. If the enemy is heading toward Last your tele's are trash. I kinda wish she could select between two different ultimates in that sense, get something more useful in that scenario though it would likely make her too powerful
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:09 am

Post by PokerFace »

Thought of how Bliz can fix Symetra. Aside from doing this:
In post 455, PokerFace wrote:
Symetra
needs changed. She gives shields and then there is nothing she can give to her team. If that team mate looses that small 25 health shield they must take cover to bring it back. While the shield is gone or at zero there is no indicator that this teamate was ever given a shield.

If you have a symetra shield and it goes down you should hear something that tells you your shield is down so you are more encouraged to take cover while it comes back. Symetra should be able to give that shield back to the teamate immediately if she sees they don't have it currently. However buffing symetra in this way will likely require her shields to have a cool down so she is unable to shield someone indefinatly from constant damage. Ana can't constant heal, she has to shoot multiple bullets. Figure out ammount of time it takes between Anas shots and make that the cool down for symetra's new shields. Also if you are symetra you should get some indicator in the hud that shows a teamate lacks a shield from a distance. Currently you get the arrows over your teamates head but can't tell they lack a shield from far away unless you see their health. And if you just forgot you gave them a shield at the start of the match and they lost it, you can't tell that when you get to them. So showing a little shield under the arrow or a shield with or without a line through it, would be a great slight cosmetic change to help actually make her a support
To improve the utility of her teleporters, make them give off health like a dispenser. I know it steals from TF2, but this way they are useful when defending last and not OP. A stationary object you have to run to, to get health does not sound that powerful and may actually help the enemy find the tele since people will be running to it to get HP.

Currently Lucio is best support character choice for KOTH. Zenny, Mercy, and Ana are tied for second. Symetra is 3rd/worst support choice for it. With these changes I think she is a viable second option.
Last edited by PokerFace on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

http://markraas.tumblr.com/ has a bunch of very silly overwatch comics

the best ones
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:22 am

Post by PokerFace »

Had a game last night where I went 22k 0d as zarya. Gold medals in everything except healing. I came very close to dying at one point. Enemy zarya used ult, enemy D.va followed it with her ult. I was caught in goldestine with my team. Shielded myself and because team was stacked behind me in the gravity ball, my shield and I absorbed the Dva ult completly. No one on the team died from it because they were so small they fit behind me as I barriered. I love my Russian Princess

Also apparently there were some unreleased patch notes with the Aug2 update. I chose to play as symetra at one point last night and I noticed the text 'No healer' on the character select screen. Instead of saying 'No support' the game now says 'No healer', and symetra is rightfully not considered a healer despite being a support. I am gonna need to do some research to see if 76 is considered a healer, if bastion is now a builder, and or if there are any other character select tip changes.
SXTLHGaiden
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:53 am

Post by SXTLHGaiden »

In post 508, PokerFace wrote:Also apparently there were some unreleased patch notes with the Aug2 update.
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatc ... 0747925082
You're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. S*Gaiden will not make long cases, write stunning insights, or sugar coat his words. He is not the man for multi-paragraph eloquence. He is, however, being honest to a fault, and it comes across in his writing.
- GreyICE
it can help the game for people to be aware that L-1 is L-Gaiden
- popsofctown
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:55 am

Post by vonflare »

zenyatta is best yatta
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:19 am

Post by PokerFace »

SXTLHGaiden wrote:
In post 508, PokerFace wrote:Also apparently there were some unreleased patch notes with the Aug2 update.
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatc ... 0747925082
Made several minor improvements to the way hero selection tips work:
The "No Builder" and "No Sniper Hero" warnings have been removed
"No Support Hero" now reads as "No Healer" (does not apply to Symmetra)
Hero selection tips are no longer displayed during team assembly in a Brawl
Ok I missed those posts about the tip changes. Glad the "No sniper" and "No builder" things are gone

Does not sound like 76 is considered a healer or bastion a builder but will test anyway when I get the chance
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:21 am

Post by Flameaxe »

The brawl is fun if you've never played rocket league before. If you have you'll just try to do rocket league things and get sad when it doesn't work
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:54 am

Post by Clumsy »

Speed boost into a regular jump+m2 just isn't the same as an ally centering the ball for you and doing an aerial score. :( Still fun to do while waiting on a group though.

Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:25 am

Post by Flameaxe »

The ultimate mechanics almost made it exceptional
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Post by PJ. »

I lost my first competitive match. First half I played D.VA had gold in everything and almost carried. Second half, we almost held but someone stole D.VA so I was on Lucio. I blame whoever took me off d.vs. I was still gold in obj, elIms, and obj elims. And got silver or gold in healing. I feel my team was p good though
Last edited by PJ. on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 511, PokerFace wrote: Does not sound like 76 is considered a healer or bastion a builder but will test anyway when I get the chance
no builder tag is gone
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm currently 2-4 in placements. but 1 was a leave and they said it was all good and it wouldn't hurt me. He rejoined right before I left though(but it was waaaay after timer went off(so I'm not sure if i got rank adjusted or not, it def counted as a loss like it said tho)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Post by PJ. »

I don't think i understand how to win a game. I get gold and silver medals in across all categories(except healing) in every game I play and I still lose basically all of them. It doesn't seem to matter what I play. I try to fill up the little tags on the side, but I basically lose no matter what. 2-6. I'm starting to be in worst player in the world territory.

2-7

3-8 so far in ranked. How do I translate gold medals into victory? What am I not grasping. I can't seem to turn play that feels good enough to beat the very worst, into an actual victory over the very worst.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Post by Clumsy »

The thing is, the way the game is made, you can't carry it yourself like other games. Even if you ult and kill 4 of the team on the point, if the rest of your team isn't doing anything, it's not going to be a cap. The biggest part I've seen is team cohesion. Even if you don't have the best mechanics, if everyone is working together well, it goes much better. Do you have a group you play with? If not, do you regularly use voice chat? And if you don't mind, what's your current rank?

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Post by PJ. »

The one game I played after placements took me from 42 to 41 in 1 fell swoop. I don't have a group. I do use voice, but I seem to be mostly talking to myself. Which is probably better than getting told shut up 41. But that's a small victory
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Post by Clumsy »

The best thing to do is to play as best you can, using voice chat, and the first time you come across someone you play well with, someone you got good communication with, add them. Play with them from that point on. Keep doing this. That's how I got my group. I actually have about 15 or so people that I play comp with, and it makes a world of difference.

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm

Post by PJ. »

Is this game really that hard to solo? Or am I just an idiot? Because the game seems to be telling me I'm consistently the best player on my team but also the worst player in the world.

Edit: which is fine. I could totally be the worst player in the world, because I'm really not sure how to convert games to wins. Not even a little.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Post by PokerFace »

vonflare wrote:
In post 511, PokerFace wrote: Does not sound like 76 is considered a healer or bastion a builder but will test anyway when I get the chance
"no builder" tag is gone
ftfy

"no builder" may be gone but is "too many builder" gone?

Have a team go all bastion and see if too many builder warning is there. see if no healer is there. Have one player switch to 76. See if no healer tag goes away. may be difficult to test without help but maybe i can talk teammates into doing it against AI on easy

This sunday I will be sitting down to play all my placement matches in a row. The no hero stacking in comp was a bad change. Should let at most 2 people play the same character or character type. That way you avoid trolls and get good games.

Having good team = wins. Carrying in TF2 is easier than in this game because 1-3 idiot among 12 on your team can be survivable. 1-3 idiot of 6 never survivable. I tried to play a comp game once, but the game got canceled. We were on offense. People on team picked Ana, Hanzo, Widow, Bastion. Yay was poorly designed team. I picked Rein thinking blocking for those 4 was best chance I had. Last guy on our team quit out. Can't say I blame him. As he quit during start up, game went into a cancellation phase. Seems dumb to cancel a game over someone leaving but given the situation I don't feel bad having that game never happen. Glad it didn't count against me. I also don't think it should have counted against who quit on our team given rest of our team was dumb or trolling. Didn't go back into comp as I wanted to avoid getting paired with that trash team again
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:59 am

Post by Clumsy »

Yeah, I have a buddy I play with that consistently takes out 2-4 people per life, yet we still lose games and fail to capture points (I play support). You can still usually win with 1 person not being too great, but 2 or 3 is a death sentence. I think the key to converting medals into wins is team co-ordination. If you take out 4 people, but your team can't push past the Rein/Bastion, you aren't going to get the point anyway.

I'm very much the opposite opinion on hero stacking, I'm extremely glad they have a 1 hero limit now. Although, when it was being discussed, 1 hero limit +1 was also a big talking point, and I would also be okay with that I think.

The Ana/Hanzo/Widow/Bastion team is a new one for me. I haven't seen teams like that in ranked, at least not recently. Was that in early early competitive? Because I see that in quick play all the time.

Return to “The Arcade”