The G.O.A.T

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 am

Post by Vi »

In post 9, mykonian wrote:
In post 7, Antihero wrote:i mean... i know a bunch of ppl who have good reads on a pretty regular basis. i don't think i could pick out a golden "best person ever" though, nor do i think there's much merit to doing so but that's just me /threadshitting so i'll stfu now
There's also that there were people who had their time, then came back into the fold (of mediocrity).

There are some obvious names missing from this thread.
Yeah, this. I'm flattered to be mentioned - this title didn't come from nowhere - but that was years ago with a completely different player base, a completely different site meta, and a largely different personal meta.

Being consistent across multiple games across multiple site metas is really, really hard to do - especially since in your later games people recognize you by reputation and start fantasizing about how cool it would be to shut you down Day 1, which of course hurts your ability to be good at Mafia. The best you can do is see who's on a hot streak right now, and celebrate it while it lasts.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:18 am

Post by Vi »

Also, I dedicate this post to Sotty7, because if we're bringing up skilled old-guard people, we can't leave out the person whose scum game earned her the title "That Dann Good".
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #31 (isolation #2) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:33 am

Post by Vi »

In post 28, Faraday wrote:Llamarble and CES are/were probably two of the best players on site.
Also can play both alignments effectively which is important.
Yes, this. Although Llamarble had this thing where he'd only post like once every four days and it made me etc.

Faraday should definitely be ranked over me
but that's because games fall apart when he unleashes his sexy Irish accent
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #40 (isolation #3) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:10 am

Post by Vi »

Nacho IME was hindered by posting like one line every week. Contrast Llamarble, who posted a wall every week, and CES, who posted one line almost constantly and usually when snark was required.

Also those are some very old goats coming out and I have no opinion other than that The Fonz always sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Fate had a very high win rate in his day. His games resembled flaming car crashes and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them, but credit where due.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #44 (isolation #4) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Vi »

In post 41, Firebringer wrote:Theres so many names that I have never heard of in this thread.
So sad.
This may sound harsh, but practically speaking, only the people who still play matter. All the people mith mentioned are of no value to you. The people who were listed in the first couple of posts generally don't matter. The only reason anything I've said and done matters is because I post in Mafia Discussion for some reason - and since I don't play Mafia, you can easily devalue it.

Fame is fleeting. I've seen some of the people on these lists break - literally rage-retire - in the face of new metas
and new idiots
. I've
been
one of those people on a couple of occasions. And the people who quit while they were ahead... well, has
anyone
here heard of Jitsu? Adel thought Jitsu was the paragon of win-rateage, on par with his own smug ass. Yeah, I thought so.

We all play for a while. Some of us hit it big. Then we die away. On very rare occasions someone hits it big again, but for the most part we become relegated to threads like this where we live in snapshots of the past, where we can be relevant within our bubbles.

So go play in the present, make your own reality, and don't worry about us.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #61 (isolation #5) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 58, MattP wrote:Oh and of course empire was gr8
++
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #71 (isolation #6) » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

Post by Vi »

chamber: That assumes proportional representation among generations, though. Talitha ain't gonna have a chance unless you assume mith is basically a god of scum-and-scumhunter-hunting.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #75 (isolation #7) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 am

Post by Vi »

In post 74, popsofctown wrote:Strong players are so fun to play with.
Not in quantity, but two or three at a time maybe. Games that are full of (perceived-to-be) strong players tend to be intolerable overlapping ego trips.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #86 (isolation #8) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

Post by Vi »

"different" rather than "better".

Also basing your opinion on a sample size of one game is an injustice, especially after "their time".
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #88 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:06 am

Post by Vi »

I don't agree with your premise about the site meta getting better. Some scumtells are indeed based on human nature but the game online is much more about manipulation of a system and evading capture than hiding nervous tics, especially after being scum once or twice and figuring out what your own n00btells are. From that starting point, detection techniques fall in and out of favor over time, and scumplay adapts, sometimes to things they couldn't get away with before. There is no "better" until Town actually starts winning something even resembling a majority of games.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #95 (isolation #10) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 93, BROseidon wrote:
In post 20, Raskolnikov wrote:i want to know who has the highest town winrate over a large sample of games
I think I was at like 70% in my first 20 or so games, but then I burned out and started playing like shit.

I think LLD's winrate is stupid high as both alignments, though.
I've definitely noticed a trend of looking at random Theme games and noticing that LLD was alive at endgame, and also scum.
you'd think people would figure out she doesn't draw Town
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #98 (isolation #11) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 am

Post by Vi »

As far as my own personal experience, playing infrequently as I do, I've found it might take me a day or so to acclimate to pacing and style differences, but my own posting is largely independent of the meta. I have little doubt my personal experience is unique in a lot of ways though - there aren't many older users, if any, who think about the game as regularly as I do, and there aren't any users who experience the game as the site owner.
I've never played a game with you, but do you get completely zambonid with Burden of Proficiency? Like, if I were a newb in a game with THE mith, I would subconsciously make it a personal goal to either lynch you or sheep you from page 4. Before role distribution.
that's what I did to Yos2 and like all of my ICs :shifty: and I know it's happened to me too

(this is also why I believe that optimal play involves everyone invoking his style)
Optimal play for everyone is for everyone to truthfully claim their alignment Day 1.
But that's against site rules
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #106 (isolation #12) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Vi »

And that's the problem, isn't it?
Mafia is a team game, and you don't get to choose the teams!

In any given game with a certain player, you only get like a 1/3 chance to "beat" them. And it's not just you and them anyway; unrelated stuff happens (NKs) that can stop your Fated Duel.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #119 (isolation #13) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:23 am

Post by Vi »

In post 112, SpyreX wrote:Kuribo what are your whales left I'll help you slay them.

Is bop less of a thing these days? I'm not showing up on anyone's goat list but even at my level i would gnash at getting that every game
But SpaiSpai I would much rather be in a game with you than many if not most of the people mentioned here. I think the vast majority of people who have played with you would agree. How well you play - which I'll vouch is likely at least above average from my scanty memory - is honestly less important.

@mollie let me figure out which words to use and I'll get back to you because there's a bit to unpack and I'd like to give the short non-ranty version

Pedit at some point I'm just going to stop correcting autocorrect and autocomplete and see if it makes my posts any less coherent
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #124 (isolation #14) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:25 am

Post by Vi »

In post 112, SpyreX wrote:Kuribo what are your whales left I'll help you slay them.
SPYREX, PRINCE OF WHALES
I think you really touched on it when you said that 1 of the biggest obstacles that town faces is competing egos. I wld amend the wording of this to "competing agendas" cos you can have a town herd of egotistical players but still reach some sort of common conclusion and just bicker about how you got there in the first place or who did it first and still lynch scum.

do you think that the ability to work with other pple is an experience or mebbe confidence gap? or do you think it is something else? in the spirit of transparent processing I have some ideas but they are not super fleshed out. I was wondering about your insight on this tho.

sometimes I think mafia is the art of creative storytelling I swear.
I think being able to work with people is close to a skill that's required in Mafia; the skill that's actually required is
being able to influence others to do your will
. "Working with people" has this nice cooperative ring to it that doesn't really match what, say, the SCREAMING DEATH CLAN did. And, speaking as someone who made a huge effort to work with people in my last few games (i.e. work toward a common conclusion) and got repeatedly torched for it, going pure social harmony seems to fail much more often than it succeeds.

Regardless, the ability to influence others breaks down hard when everyone has their own ideas of who's scum and won't bend from them. My last game was like seven people who were like this, and the time before that I had to deal with someone who thought he had role information on me (he very much did not but he was a fscking dumbass), and the time before that it was like four Townies in a row who decided "welp Vi is scum because <incoherent Goofball nonsense> <beard ;) > <lol Cyan just picks someone and tunnels on them, looks like ur screwed m8> <whatever else>" and all the scum had to do was act kind of nonchalant and even outstandingly reasonable as they also voted me. I don't want to say it's impossible to influence these people, but it's beyond dozens of pages of my best efforts - whether the people I'm trying to influence are actively suspecting me or not.

Whining aside, what I'm getting at is that the ability to work with other people is partly a skill to learn on your part but entirely dependent on the other person being willing to work with you. It's not an experience or confidence gap except insofar as you have to have the experience to know that working together is necessary and they need to have the healthy
lack
of confidence in their own reads to alter them.

I acknowledge that this post makes it look like I'm completely blameless and that the problems are all other peoples' fault. That is, of course, not the case (maybe I could have found nicer words to call Goofball and Thor's posts illogical on a level I hadn't seen throughout my career, idk) but even after adjusting for that I'm having difficulty coming to any other conclusion.

Side note since I don't have anyplace else to put it: I've noticed that I have a habit of defending people I think are Town, or otherwise getting undeserved hate. Not just in Mafia games, either. I've been wrong so much more often than I've been correct on these calls that I'mma stoppan that.

Post-edit: gfd I need to do something else before I stew on this all day this is why I don't play Mafia
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #134 (isolation #15) » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:09 am

Post by Vi »

...oh, right. You're one of the relatively few people I don't viscerally hate coming out of that game.

I thought about it, but given my part in how that game went down, I decided it would be better if I shut up and stopped acting like I knew anything. A year removed from the game, I would have to reread it to remember what I wanted to say to you, and like hell if I'm doing that. It's nothing personal and I've nothing against you; I just don't want to go there again.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #138 (isolation #16) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:02 am

Post by Vi »

saulres underrated himself. <_< He's another person I'd gladly play with.
Amrun, Cogito Ergo Sum, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Ghostlin, glowball, jasonT1981, Kublai Khan, lewarcher82, Llamarble, Quilford, Sotty7, Untrod Tripod (rep. by saulres), Vi, VP Baltar, XReckonerX, xvart
uh... oh oh oh, I remember this... vaguely... just not the game.

EDIT: petsPick. My wiki page says that you and glowball had some kind of off-color conversation toward the end but I don't want to dig through the archive to see it :?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #140 (isolation #17) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 am

Post by Vi »

Is it my imagination, or do you just ~happen~ to wind up in convos like that? :p

Noticeable about that player list: a relative absence of established jerks.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #199 (isolation #18) » Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Post by Vi »

Hoopla
now there's a name you see in a player list and feel terrified
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #219 (isolation #19) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 am

Post by Vi »

I agree with the above post and that SpyreX being a highly-sought fun person. And also that the worst games from pre-2015 were better than basically all of the games I've played since.

pls don't play mafia
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #221 (isolation #20) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 am

Post by Vi »

In post 220, Papa Zito wrote:By abandoning the game the children have no betters to look to.
The kids are alright. They just need time to make youthful mistakes they can learn from. Like playing Mafia.

(the size of the "pls don't play mafia" contingent at Calimeet was surprisingly large)

I mean seriously you could bring twelve of the absolute best people of all time back for a closed invitational and it would be great for the first five pages and then everyone would be like "oh. it's this shit again". Or at least that's how I'd feel, dunno about others in my age bracket.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #226 (isolation #21) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by Vi »

I think I was the only one who went the whole meet without playing a proper game of Mafia.
And I literally climbed a tree to avoid playing One Night Ultimate Alien.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”