Order of Operations

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:01 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Reasonable Action Resolution is basically NAR but allowing for all the awkward cornercases that NAR doesn't handle (rather than trying to use a list-based tiebreak that doesn't work).

I've been meaning to write another action resolution system, which is
also
basically just NAR, but covering the simple cases only and not attempting to handle stupid situations like multiple Bus Drivers. The idea is to have something that spells out the common role interactions as simply as possible so that mods and players can't screw it up.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #20 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am

RAR's designed to produce the same result as NAR in all cases which work via Golden Rule. It's just intended to expand the tiebreak so that it works consistently even in weird cases.

Here's an example that requires the tiebreak in NAR: player 1 blocks player 2, player 2 busdrives player 2 and player 3. player 3 kills player 4. In NAR, if there's an unavoidable loop, the tiebreak states that bus drives beat blocks; thus player 3 gets blocked and player 2 doesn't, and thus player 4 survives. (The fact that I needed to include a self-targeting bus driver in the example says quite a bit about how NAR and RAR are almost identical. The main gain of RAR is that it handles the cases that NAR doesn't handle at all, such as cross-targeting jailkeepers.)

In RAR, we reason like this:
Does player 4 die?
- Reason for yes: player 3 tried to kill them;
- Reason for no: but there was a roleblock action
and
it was bus driven onto player 3
- Reason for yes: but the bus drive was blocked (no loop yet: we have block → bus drive → kill)
- Reason for no:
but the block was bus driven
(can't get this far as now there is a loop:
bus drive
→ block →
bus drive
→ kill)
So player 4 dies.

In RAR, you get a consistent result regardless of what form of redirection-like ability player 2 attempts to use; whether they redirect player 1, deflect themself, or busdrive themself, you get the same result. This is because RAR looks at the effects of an action, rather than the type of action.

In NAR, on the other hand, player 4 survives if player 2 is a bus driver, but dies if player 2 is a redirector or deflector. This is because it uses an arbitrary tiebreak which depends on the name of the ability, meaning that bus drives and redirects tie break in different ways.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #26 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:19 am

In post 24, kuribo wrote:I've posted it several times in the last couple years and i don't remember anyone ever noticing the acronym
I noticed it when it was posted earlier in the thread, just didn't feel the need to comment on it.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”