Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

Hey everyone, let's have a good game!

Two important observations from recent games:
  1. Even though I have some amount of mercy in me, I am a firm believer in Lynch All Liars. I therefore request all town players not to try stupid gambits like fakeclaiming, as those actions are highly likely to significantly hamper my ability to find scum.

2. I do not believe in a Random Voting Stage. I do believe in the principle of using votes to get discussion started, and I acknowledge that early in the game, there isn't much information to go on, but I firmly believe that voting someone over a (very) weak scumtell is better then voting someone completely randomly.
Vote: Hoopla

By using dice tags to determine who you vote, you prove (instead of merely claim) that your vote was made without any intent whatsoever. As such, your posts #5 and #6 are specifically designed not to give town any additional information. Because town needs information on the most important question of the game (who is scum), whereas scum is fully informed on that matter, your posts do not benefit town as much as they should. Why are you intentionally playing in a way that is more beneficial to scum then to town?
There is no 'a' in Michel.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:17 am

So your explanation for using a dice tag for your random vote is that you are absolutely required to use dice tags at least once during the game?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:38 am

Hoopla wrote: Michel, I ~retract~ my dice roll and will be saving it for LYLO.
Don't let that withhold you from explaining why you used them in the first place.

And to answer your question: it depends on what you're using the dice tags for, obviously. I much prefer you using dice tags for a valid reason during Lylo over you using them to determine who to vote now. It's just that I can't see "determining who to vote" as a valid reason during any point in the game.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #3) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 pm

In post 39, MariaR wrote:Here we go again
My thought exactly when I saw Cloud's post. I don't get along at all with EM's playstyle. At least this time I post a warning before it leads to a direct clash.

It is my belief that one of the tasks of each protown player should be to play as obvtown as possible. That way, mafia can't get away with actions that are obviously beneficial for them, and are forced to take actions that risk them outing themselves. Whereas if town is bullshitting "in order to draw reactions", mafia has a lot more room to manoeuvre.
Cloud wrote:-> You talk and insist a lot about scum pov, is it because you want to be townread because of it or because you are scum and have the scum pov pretty active in mind ?
It's because I want to discover who is scum based on the actions taken in this thread. The only way to do that, is to look at the actions players take, and see why they would take them from a town POV, and why they would take them from a scum POV, and determine which is more likely.
Cloud wrote:'' Because town needs information on the most important question of the game (who is scum), whereas scum is fully informed on that matter, your posts do not benefit town as much as they should.''

Couldve just been

''your posts do not benefit town as much as they should''
I wanted to make the assumption explicit, as I wasn't in the mood to answer the question "Why?".
Cloud wrote:You acknowledged that people do use the random votes even tho you dont personally like it, why do you even fos someone for doing it then ? Just because you disagree with it doesnt mean its scummy.
No, I acknowledge the existence of something called the Random Voting Stage. That name is a bit of a misnomer, though. It should actually be called Arbitrary Voting Stage. An arbitrary vote is a vote that may or may not have a reason behind it, and that therefore can be analysed. Arbitrary votes aren't great for starting discussion, but they can work. IAmInnocent and goodmorning placed arbitrary votes.

A random vote, on the other hand, does not have a reason behind its target at all. It is verifiable for everyone that it was placed on a random player. Knowing that there isn't a reasoning, they are less likely to start discussion. Hoopla used dice tags, and then voted based on her result. That's a random vote, and intrinsically anti-town.
BlackVoid wrote:By your theory, not voting at all is just as bad. Any reason you didn't comment on my and TwoFace's lack of vote?
Someone who posts strong comments, but doesn't vote, does far more to get discussion started then someone who arbitrarily votes, without commenting at all. You two at least posted comments that others could react to. The only thing people could react to in Hoopla's post was the fact that there was nothing to react to.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 am

Not a fan of the Rask wagon. At the very least, he seems to be putting some effort into scumhunting, and the wishy-washyness is more likely to come from someone who has no clue as to who is scum, IMO. Maria, you seem to have some experience with Rask. How good is he at faking towntells?

Blackvoid is making some town posts as well.

Hoopla, don't you think that your bubblyness, as Rask calls it, should have drawn more reactions then it did? Are there players in his game who you expected would comment on it, but didn't?

Also, looking over goodmorning's ISO, I don't see a lot there that's making me feel good about the slot. Better bandwagon then Rask, IMO.

Vote: goodmorning

@Hoopla, sotty: care to come back?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #302 (isolation #5) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 pm

In post 77, MichelSableheart wrote:Maria, you seem to have some experience with Rask. How good is he at faking towntells?
Maria, still waiting for an answer to this.
In post 84, Hoopla wrote:
In post 77, MichelSableheart wrote:Hoopla, don't you think that your bubblyness, as Rask calls it, should have drawn more reactions then it did? Are there players in his game who you expected would comment on it, but didn't?
I came out all guns blazing yet with no expectations about reactions at all. I know it sounds crazy, but I think I managed to pull it off.
Even if you didn't have expectations, surely you have some thoughts on the lack of reactions?
In post 184, Sotty7 wrote:
In post 156, MariaR wrote:VOTE: Sable Spread out the votes
Wrong game?
Nope, unfortunately.
In post 185, goodmorning wrote:I keep running into a problem scumreading Toffee and Victor; namely, that although they're not actually doing anything, they are genuinely better than that as Scum too.
To be quite honest, I'm having trouble discerning what you're actually doing too. My general impression is that you're posting lots of words, but few reads.
In post 234, TwoFace wrote:The "I don't care what people think about me attitude" is the attitude all players should have. If you worry about how you are perceived you can't play honest. You hold back saying things because you worry about how somebody might perceive them. If people want to think I'm scummy or even think I'm scum, let them. As long as I keep playing my game and taking my time to develop reads, I know I'm doing the best I can.
I believe the complete opposite, actually. I'm very concerned with how other players perceive me, so I make sure to make my thoughts as explicit as I possibly can. That way, players see I'm coming from a town mindset.

---

Not much time available at the moment, unfortunately. I've read up to and including page 10 now, but haven't given anything much thought. More in depth post tonight.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #321 (isolation #6) » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:15 am

In post 308, Hoopla wrote:
In post 302, MichelSableheart wrote:Even if you didn't have expectations, surely you have some thoughts on the lack of reactions?
Mmm, not really. I haven't played with many people on this list. For all they know, that's how I always am and not worth commenting on?
From reading Mafia Discussion, I know you as someone with a very good grasp on mafia theory. For you to start the game with a dice vote and follow it up with a couple of whimsical posts feels to me like you went deliberately off meta in order to provoke reactions. That everyone basically ignored it, even when you went back to more serious posting, is extremely surprising to me. It feels like more players should have responded, as it would be a good way to get some discussion started. Simultaneously, I can kind of see scum deciding not to engage an experienced player. So I really want to look for players who could have reacted, but didn't.

IAI and BBT simply didn't post at the relevant time, so it's not at all surprising that they didn't react.

Rask noticed, and attacked you over it. His reactions in the ensuing discussion feel pretty natural.

BlackVoid, Cloud and Jack focused on other points in the discussion, so them ignoring you isn't that strange.

Sotty ignoring it also is kind of logical. She knows you're just reaction fishing, doesn't think much productive will come from her discussing it, and decides to try to kickstart the game with a bandwagon instead.

I've played with Maria before, and given how she's played there, I'm not surprised that she didn't engage you. She just isn't the type to try to get serious discussion started.

The lack of actual reaction from the last three players all seem various degrees of suspicious to me:

Victor placed a random vote, without actually contributing anything useful. I've seen townies do that, but it's disappointing. Victor, why did post #35 contain nothing but a random vote? Why you didn't give an opinion on Hoopla's playstyle at the time?

TwoFace did notice, but decided to go into a theory discussion rather then engage in an "are you scum?" discussion in post #12 and #25. TwoFace, why did you decided to discuss the legality of dice voting, rather then the implications of Hoopla's use of it?

It's goodmorning's reaction that strikes me as most strange of them all. Her posts #18 and #20 acknowledge that there are early game oddities in playstyles, but flat out refuses to draw any conclusions based on that whatsoever. Goodmorning, what was the reason that you responded the way you did?

---
@Jack: I guess in the case of BBT, it's not just his general inactivity. As you mentioned, you, me, and IAI also aren't posting much. Yet in the case of IAI, it's pretty clear that he's simply not been here. And with you and me, there is some actual content in the posts we do posts. Whereas BBT's four posts are all oneliners containing unexplained reads.
---

Overall, I find it difficult to develop good reads from the last 10 pages. There's a lot of talking going on, but a lot of it is arguing on things that don't seem all that relevant, nor all that alignement indicative. Finding clear arguments for why players hold certain scumreads in all that is like looking for a needle in a haystack, easy to glance over if you're not reading in depth (and since I was reading 10 pages under time pressure, I didn't get much chance at in depth reading).

I currently have rask (attempted scumhunting in combination with what seems like genuine uncertainty) and BlackVoid (asks good, enlightening questions) as town, and I townlean Hoopla (the way she's given well founded townreads limit her options if she's scum), but not much beyond that.

@BlackVoid: if you could expand a bit on the townreads you listed in post #278, that would be great. Most of them are on players I currently have trouble reading, so knowing your thoughts there would be helpful to me.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #367 (isolation #7) » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:48 pm

In post 333, Hoopla wrote:
In post 321, MichelSableheart wrote:From reading Mafia Discussion, I know you as someone with a very good grasp on mafia theory. For you to start the game with a dice vote and follow it up with a couple of whimsical posts feels to me like you went deliberately off meta in order to provoke reactions. That everyone basically ignored it, even when you went back to more serious posting, is extremely surprising to me. It feels like more players should have responded, as it would be a good way to get some discussion started. Simultaneously, I can kind of see scum deciding not to engage an experienced player. So I really want to look for players who could have reacted, but didn't.
Hey, just because I like posting in Mafia Discussion doesn't mean I can't have a cheeky LOL with my fellow players while the stakes are low! I find it strange how you are picking apart the opening of the game so rigorously but you're finding difficult to get a read on anything in the last 10 pages.

What do you think about the Victor vs. Me/goodmorning/TwoFace thingy? I know it's a lot of unnecessary semantics, but since you care about how people are reacting to me, do you find it weird that two people volunteered to step in and argue on my behalf yet nobody did the same for Victor? On reflection I kinda do, and I suspect them more than I do Victor (who I'm still trying to work out).
I had the time to read the opening 2 pages and participated there. Furthermore, there is a variety of players interacting, and most of the posts are easy to read. As a result, it's easy to analyse those pages.

By comparison, I read page 4-10 under time pressure. I couldn't post on friday, so I really wanted to make a post on saturday morning, but I also had to leave at a specific time. To make matters worse, a lot of the posts there, the interactions between Victor and you/goodmorning/TwoFace in particular, consisted of wallposts. As a result, I know that you were arguing, but I couldn't tell you what the actual arguments were. I don't have an opinion on the interaction at the moment. I'm planning to take BlackVoid reads on them, and reread those pages with those reads in mind. However, that takes time, which I don't currently have available.
In post 326, BlackVoid wrote:@Michel, did you want me to explain my Hoopla-read as well or just those five?

Now my turn. Talk to me about your read on Sotty7 and MariaR, especially the former. Those are the two active players I don't have a townread on.
Just those five is fine. As I mentioned to Hoopla, I'm planning to use your reads to get a better grasp on the game myself, but can't right now due to time constraints.

Sotty I remember as a generally strong player, though it's been some years since I last played with her. Her play in this game confirms that assessment. She's making solid posts, I can understand the reasoning for the suspicions she voices. Overall, she hasn't given me any reason to be suspicious of her, but I can easily see scum her fake the level of townieness she's currently displaying. I'm currently townreading her, but mainly because each individual player has a better chance of being town then being scum a priori.

Maria is a bit of a spamposter. Coming from chat mafia into games with 2 week deadlines will do that for you, I suppose. As for a read on her: I don't have much on her either, sorry. The game I played with her where she was town, she completely flipped out when she felt she got unfairly pressured. The game I played with her where she was scum, I mainly remember the way she argued that a townslip made by her scumpartner could have been an intentional slip, and managed to do this in such a way that the argument was completely ignored. Nothing of the sort has happened in this game yet, so the only thing I can tell you is that her tone here seems to be generally consistent with what I saw in her town game.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #413 (isolation #8) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:05 am

In post 369, VictorDeAngelo wrote:
In post 321, MichelSableheart wrote: Victor placed a random vote, without actually contributing anything useful. I've seen townies do that, but it's disappointing. Victor, why did post #35 contain nothing but a random vote? Why you didn't give an opinion on Hoopla's playstyle at the time?
Because it was page 2 and nothing in the game seemed worth commenting on.

Traditional, the portion of the game your looking at is the least profitable in my opinion. Scum have the easiest time hiding in the opening pages of the game where everything is random. You've mentioned townreads in the post but no real scumreads yet. Do you still feel comfortable with your goodmorning vote?
The reason I'm asking the question, as should be clear from the context, is that there was something in the game that was worth commenting on: Hoopla's playstyle at the time. It's exactly the lack of comment on this that I want explained. "There was nothing worth commenting on" therefore is not a good explanation.

And yes, I'm still happy with my goodmorning vote (as I would have unvoted otherwise). The analysis of the very early game is still the best thing I have to base my vote on.
In post 372, CloudKicker wrote: Michel's excuse to sheep Bv read is weak and comes off as fake. I would totally prefer to just not out reads and then come back or form new reads with new information than to take someone elses reads and thats assuming you tr bv and sure about that read
As I mentioned, I'm planning to read those 10 pages again with Bv's opinions in mind, to see if I agree with her assessment. That's not sheeping, that's asking for help in forming opinions.
In post 373, CloudKicker wrote:
In post 367, MichelSableheart wrote: Sotty I
remember as a generally strong player
, though i
t's been some years since I last played with her
. Her play in this game confirms that assessment. She's making solid posts, I can understand the reasoning for the suspicions she voices. Overall, she
hasn't given me any reason to be suspicious of her, but I can easily see scum her fake the level of townieness she's currently displaying
I'm currently townreading her, but mainly because each individual player has a better chance of being town then being scum a priori

Maria
is a bit of a spamposter
Coming from chat mafia into games with 2 week deadlines will do that for you
I suppose
. As for a read on her:
I don't have much on her either, sorry.
The g
ame I played with her where she was town, she completely flipped out when she felt she got unfairly pressured. The game I played with her where she was scum, I mainly remember the way she argued that a townslip made by her scumpartner could have been an intentional slip, and managed to do this in such a way that the argument was completely ignored
Nothing of the sort has happened in this game yet
, so the
only thing I can tell you is that her tone here seems to be generally consistent with what I saw in her town game.
Just to precise my thought on this post, i think those reads are so weak. Instead of reading the game's content hes answered bv's questions with meta and it doesnt help anyone here to agree with his reads.

Why do you even bother outing reads that are so shit dude if its not to give the impression you actually read them. The whole meta on maria's scumslip defending thing is soo goddam irrelevant since its how maria wouldve played on something that happened THAT game bro, its not meta on her play.

All michel does is :
meta-read that is weak
, then add a
reason to doubt said read
, then out another read then another reason why its not a hard read.

VOTE: michelsableheart in the top 3 worst post of the game so far
*Explains that the only non-weak reads he has are on BlackVoid, Hoopla and rask
*Is explicitly asked for his thoughts on sotty and Maria
*Proceeds to give his thoughts on those two
*Is attacked because the reads he has on them are weak.
Like, seriously?
In post 400, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:
In post 77, MichelSableheart wrote:Not a fan of the Rask wagon. At the very least, he seems to be putting some effort into scumhunting, and the wishy-washyness is more likely to come from someone who has no clue as to who is scum, IMO.

Also, looking over goodmorning's ISO, I don't see a lot there that's making me feel good about the slot. Better bandwagon then Rask, IMO.

Vote: goodmorning
Why is wishy-washy more likely to come from town than it is to come from scum who don't want to appear to be pushing opinions too strongly?
Town doesn't know who's scum. Every post they read is new information, meaning they are likely to change opinion frequently. By contrast, scum knows who's scum. Every thought they give on someone's scummyness is fake. Believably faking changing your mind is far more difficult to do than faking consistent reads. So scum is not as likely to frequently change their mind as town is.
Also, why did you choose GM to ISO?
That was the bandwagon Hoopla and Sotty abandoned to vote rask.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #420 (isolation #9) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:58 pm

@Cloud: If BlackVoid had asked in order to get a better handle on me, I would agree with you. However, BlackVoid asked because she had weak reads on Sotty and Maria as well, and wanted help. In this case, it's more helpful if I give her what I have, as my thoughts, however weak, might help her form an opinion.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #535 (isolation #10) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 am

@Maria: I recall seeing something in the postgame of mini 1814 that you wouldn't have fought with Gerry there the way you did if he wasn't your buddy. Am I misremembering things? Asking because your interactions with BBT here seem somewhat similar to that situation.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #555 (isolation #11) » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 am

I've skimmed everything, but have thoroughly read the first 6 pages.

It seems that part of my feelings for goodmorning were caused by skimming. Posts like #112 do have solid content buried within the fluff, but that's not immediately obvious when skimming.

Such implicit content seems slightly more likely to come from town then from scum, as they're generally somewhat less concerned with how they're perceived. Therefore:

Unvote

BBT is not a bad wagon. The way he asks rask for scum ON the wagon immediately after unvoting in #97 seems like a calculated way to focus attention on others for something he did as well.

Vote: BlueBloodedToffee

Noting that Jaack and BBT are unlikely to be scumpartners, as I feel the interaction in #97, #101 and #102 is a 1-2 punch that scum wouldn't set up that early in the game. Scum would be more likely to keep a bit of distance, to safe the coordinated attack for when it's more impactful.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”