Rule Addition Regarding Hiding Identity from Staff

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #51 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Post by chamber »

I haven't played mafia very much recently. But I remember when I both played more frequently and had more extensive knowledge of alts, I hated playing in games with them. It was a nightmare if I ever thought something because I knew who was behind the wheel. I suspect the mods will already be self selecting for it.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #54 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:23 am

Post by chamber »

I do feel the rule is a bit silly to have. If only because I don't think it will actually change anyone's behavior. The people breaking it will still be people that don't know better and people that are malicious. But the core idea is fine so~
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #58 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:31 am

Post by chamber »

In post 55, Rhinox wrote:The whole idea of this rule makes me uncomfortable. The stance that "anonymity is bad, people do bad things with anonymity and only bad people with something to hide need to be anonymous" is not really a stance I can agree with at all or support even if I personally don't try very hard to be anonymous and hide my real life identity. What does the site consider our identity to be anyways? Is it the email address used when creating our first accounts? The IP addresses we've logged in from? The identity/persona we created/claimed to be when the first account was created? Our real life identity?
I can't speak for the mods but I'm pretty sure all they care is that your accounts are linked so that they can ban you collectively if you break rules, and ensure game cheating isn't happening.

If you use different emails or hide your IP they explicitly said they don't care as long as accounts are linked. It's only when you do those things and don't link accounts that they care.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #62 (isolation #3) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:41 am

Post by chamber »

In post 61, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 59, zoraster wrote:There are some secondary benefits like making it easier to catch cheaters, making sure that those marked as newbies in newbie games aren't actually established users, and so forth.
its about time. I know for a fact that there are users who pretend to be newbies and nothing ever happens to them. I thought you guys encouraged it in order to feed the illusion that the active membership base is larger than what it is. so I stopped caring.

but its good that you are finally doing something about it now, I guess.
Mina has always screened newbies (And I assume previous newbie list mods do as well), but she's not omnipotent. If they hide their tracks well enough to get into a game she likely stops tracking their activity. If you see suspicious behaviour, report it.

Return to “News”