Strategically play or tactical play?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Do you play Tactically or Strategically?

Strategic.
44%
Tactically.
56%

Total votes: 18

Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think I always consider the long term regardless of alignment but I need more examples to truly show which side of the spectrum I play. This is most likely why people will say I'm 'tryharding' on D1. Yet I need more clarification of strategy and tactics. For example, what is a strategy? What is a tactic? If bandwagoning is a tactic, sure I use use tactics sometimes. Is making sure I take part of early game/rvs strategy? Then I do it too, in the same town game. Is it possible to do tactics and strategy in the same game/alignment?
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think another good point is determining if a player cares about their own scumhunting. They can scumhunt but sometimes they may slip, which would align more with mafia faking it over town who is being genuine. Since, doing work as mafia is boring. I only do work as mafia to seem town. I have been caught being lazy.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think that does factor in to what I'm saying, yes. For example, that *was* a reason for why I didn't do something that seemed like a townie thing to do. Reason was, because I was afraid it'd seem suspicious. Yet, not doing the action was what seemed unnatural to another player! I was like "Fuck, you're right". In my effort to seem pro-town, I have missed a vital component to actually doing what town truly cares about. [The action was not placing a vote on another player to make sure my town read wasn't lynched via plurality, and the other player called me out on not caring about that, or questioning me on that but didn't follow up luckily) That was more my motivation for doing or not doing something, yet it still carries off as being fake or not genuine. (Meaning, what you say is correct, it is something I didn't mention being my motivation as scum, when I was talking about how I seemed on the outside, fake)

Another time I was caught on being fake was when a player who I town read asked "Why aren't you interacting with me or asking me questions?" and I was thrown off-guard. I didn't ask because I didn't care to ask, since I was mafia. In this case, i was simply being lazy and not acting at all, in comparison to the earlier example, where I was acting but to push my win condition of seeming town to survive. in this one I was just lurking because I have posted enough and didn't need to say anything else. Again, I still seemed fake, yet this time I had a different motivation. Yet it was the same, I didn't care.

In both scenarios, i was pretending, and didn't actually care about what the town cared about. I do agree it can be situational.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”