Strategically play or tactical play?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Do you play Tactically or Strategically?

Strategic.
44%
Tactically.
56%

Total votes: 18

mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by mykonian »

First thought reading this topic was that it was someone who wanted to share that they knew the difference between strategy and tactics. I guess they got the essence of it. I'm rather confused by the answers though, I think CFJ has the gist of it, but people imply they can employ strategy. As the game starts and you have gotten your role pm, neither side knows all that much really. Scum a tiny bit more, if it's an open you know the setup, you might know some players but idk, rarely you know all of them. What planning can you actually achieve beyond knowing who you'll play off?

As the day starts, and you've made the first serious decision you could plan for (RVS: Y/N), the chips fall and town starts moving into a certain direction with a certain group of people taking the majority of the responsibility for it. The more people can predict who'll get pushed, the less likely it's going to happen as people correct for weaker town. First x pages imo are chaos where both sides try to find their way. I think you are a very smart player if as town you know how to play off that and frankly I don't think you can. Strategy then is limited to risk/reward and tone changes, which is just far removed and general stuff that it imo never 50% of the choices you make in a game.

And then, the real issue. It's much easier to tailor your play to the town if you know where they are going. As scum, I get that you'd want to be strategic, knowing what will come and having days to set up the perfect response. What I don't get is why as town you'd ever let them. Town, to me, has to play a game of opportunism, where as the next post drops and if it gives a way to drop a new insight into the game, you pounce on it. Not just to bring more information, because although it seems erratic and people might not know where you are coming from (which, fair enough, isn't very well liked), every course correction you get the town to make is one scum have to make as well. Town is imo, more or less forced to live in the moment if they want to make scums life as hard as possible.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 21, LicketyQuickety wrote:how do you learn how to adopt a big picture view of the game?
I'm sorry, I have no answer.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”