Song Contest 102 (Entries up, votes due 1/17!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:45 am

Post by Parama »

both, at the same time
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:35 am

Post by Parama »

personally the 80's is like my least favorite decade of modern music and there's at least a decent bit of 60's stuff that's okay but :P
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:42 am

Post by Parama »

have i ever actually entered anything from the 80's though

distortion tones were generally crap, keyboard sounds were universally crap, prevailing style of vocals in metal was crap
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:45 am

Post by Parama »

kek

now i'm tempted to send something 80's just for the lolz
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Parama »

i mean i figure the metal bit doesn't factor in since i don't think you listen to metal at all :P
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:58 am

Post by Parama »

Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Post by Parama »

TIL davsto knows about music that came out this century
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:32 am

Post by Parama »

ended up just submitting what i tried to send last time, ok
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Post by Parama »

it's a song, but you will be booed off the site if you enter it
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (isolation #9) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:36 am

Post by Parama »

kek, swans
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:21 am

Post by Parama »

post it anyways so I can call it boring
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Parama »

In post 65, TheWayItEnds wrote:You'd call it boring and then give me 6 points anyway
yeah that's about how song contests usually go
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:53 am

Post by Parama »

Heck yeah KuroiXHF might give me 2 points
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:07 am

Post by Parama »

thanks Einar
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by Parama »

lol the swans song is 30 minutes, i already know i dislike swans & i know i've listened to it before at some point since i listened to the first disc of that album before so i'm just, gonna skip that one
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (isolation #15) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Post by Parama »

Uruguay – Nothing really to say about this. The production is pretty generic but it’s alright enough. The vibe of the song is a pleasant nothingness that stands out in absolutely zero ways. I don’t mind listening to it but I’m probably never going to think about it ever again. (AVERAGE)

Hong Kong – Gonna have to say it, I just have absolutely no use for silly music like this. Song has an okay groove, I guess, but it sounds like it’s just hitting checkboxes. Slight bass groove, check. Power chords under the chorus, check. Guitar solo, sure. Can’t stand the vocals though, at all, so it leaves a negative impression. And oooohhh my god it’s only halfway over, the heck. Yeah wow this outro is way too long. (MEDIOCRE)

The Principality of Sealand – This is exactly the kind of song that can’t really break the language barrier. Intimate piano ballads can’t really pack any emotional depth when I don’t understand a word being sung. All that leaves is a very standard piano track and a kind of interesting but not especially impressive voice. I mean, sure, it’s fine enough to listen to but I simply can’t get much out of this. (AVERAGE)

Albania – Kind of has a decent atmosphere going, but at the same time the lyrics are reeeeally repetitive and I’m not a fan of the vocal style to begin with. And it doesn’t really have any dynamics to it, just hammers in this slightly dense but also kinda chill mood for 7 minutes. Don’t mind it, but could totally live without it. (AVERAGE)

Latvia – The artist image makes me want to prepare for the worst, honestly. But the song itself is actually pretty fine, it seems. I vaguely hear guitars in the mix but they’re like, so low in the mix that they’re barely there, the focus is clearly the electronics and the vocals. As far as that goes, it’s fine. Has a solid groove to it. The drums stay a bit too constant to make the song feel like it has much of a sense of progression though. Kick, snare, kick snare. Or just kick, kick, kick during the bridge. Yeah, probably the best track so far but I’m not particularly impressed. (DECENT)

Finland – The jazzy feel of this is pretty nice and her voice actually suits it pretty dang well. As for what it is it doesn’t exactly stand out but everything works well together and it’s pretty pleasant so it’s hard to say it fails at what it’s trying to be. (DECENT)

Benin – Reggae isn’t really my thing, just in general. I mean there’s nothing really wrong with this, has a nice groove, the horns in the background are a nice touch, the female vocals are a nice counterpoint to the main vocalist. Just that it doesn’t really do anything for me. But I don’t mind it. (AVERAGE)

Spain – Okay, only a minute into this and I’m already liking it quite a bit. Tons of groove and the instrumentation is kept pretty diverse and interesting. Bass and guitar playing off each others’ groove with horns punctuating it. Less a fan of the samples serving as the vocals, just not something I’ve ever a fan of but there’s plenty here to like even ignoring them. Builds up to a nice climax at the end too. Really nothing to complain about here, it’s just a fun song. (GOOD)

as far as SCs go not off to a bad start though not a great one either
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (isolation #16) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 am

Post by Parama »

no there are only 25 songs in this contest I dunno what you're talking about
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (isolation #17) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by Parama »

swans continously fails to evoke any sort of emotion from me except boredom

I do listen to a good bit of post rock too so
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (isolation #18) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:51 am

Post by Parama »

Japan – Huh. This actually works better than it feels like it has any right to. My only gripes are that it’s a bit short to really build up as much as it probably needs to, and the singer doesn’t sound as enthusiastic as he could, but I do like this a fair bit. (DECENT)

Cote d’Ivoire – This better be from the 80 or early 90’s because otherwise the sound quality and synth quality of this is pretty inexcusable. It probably isn’t though, song itself sounds too modern. Uhh anyways. This sure is anime. I mean it’s decent enough sound quality aside but it evokes no real emotion from me and doesn’t really have anything that stands out. (AVERAGE)

Central African Republic – I always get the vibe I should like Dire Straits more than I do. Brothers in Arms is absolutely fantastic and Sultans of Swing is a cool song too. And this is… interesting, I dig the noir vibe, though the lyrics certainly don’t do more than check off all the clichés and then screw off. And it never sounds like the song quite comes alive, though it tries. It’s pretty solid but I could see room for improvement too. (DECENT)

Republic of Kugelmugel – Caaan’t say I really like how his voice sounds here at all. The funk vibe of the instrumentation is pretty nice though and there are some moments where it does come alive and get pretty interesting. Dunno if I’d seek it out but don’t mind this at all. (DECENT)

Greece – Okay, that bass groove starts out pretty cool, but… having it on loop for almost five minutes straight is actually kind of maddening? By the 3 minute mark I already kind of dislike it and by the time the vocals come in they couldn’t come soon enough. And of course it comes back in later anyways. Like, the atmosphere of the song is nice, the drumming plays off the atmosphere well, and the vocals are fine on their own, but. That bassline. Don’t. Don’t do that. Ever. Anyone. Honestly the song could’ve just been the back half of the song, with maybe a minute or so of the first half, and it wouldn’t been genuinely good, but. As it stands, I kind of never want to listen to it again. (MEDIOCRE)

Burkina Faso – It sounds nice enough and lush enough and all but, I dunno, nothing that really stands out here and compared to a lot of the other songs in this group I can’t say I really find it comparable. (AVERAGE)

USA – I like the orchestration and swell of this song, but I just simply don’t like the vocals. Some quality about his tone that just bothers me. I can’t place my finger on exactly why. Still doesn’t ruin the song or anything but I could like this more than I do and that’s unfortunate. (DECENT)

Ecuador – Aahh oh I see. It’s that specific tone of black metal rasps that are completely impossible to take seriously. It sounds like Gollum trying to do metal growls. On top of that the guitar tone is way too thin to have any kind of power & the drums are too high in the mix. In all aspects besides the vocals this is basically power metal and I feel like with a better guitar tone and clean vocals it’d be a pretty solid, driving power metal song, but as it stands it’s just kind of… (MEDIOCRE)
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #108 (isolation #19) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 am

Post by Parama »

I only got his 6 so he basically hates it
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #114 (isolation #20) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Post by Parama »

i can tell because you made it sound like mine was #1 in the writeup for it :P
though ihsahn is nowhere close to emo lol
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (isolation #21) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by Parama »

two people with polar opposite tastes
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #120 (isolation #22) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by Parama »

Azerbaijan – Music’s fine enough, decently atmospheric, and the chorus is okay too, but it’s nothing special. And it’s a rap song too so you can guess how I feel about it. I mean he’s got decent rhythm but it does nothing for me regardless. (MEDIOCRE)

Kazakhstan – Decent soul vibes to this and a nice driving feel as well. Not really my thing but I enjoy it well enough. Not much more to say. (DECENT)

Philippines – Why is K-Pop so obsessed with trying to sound like bad American pop. The only thing of note here is the whistle and it kind of doesn’t work at all. Other than that, musically it’s empty and plodding, and the vocals only sound halfway decent on the prechorus. It’s like. K-Pop Fifth Harmony. That’s not a compliment. (BAD)

Macedonia – Yeah, immediately, those youtube poop vocals are already making me hate this. And that’s like… about all this song has, actually. Musically it’s kind of okay but a bit too cheery for me, because I’m no fun. Yeah, I just don’t like this at all, fortunately it’s mercifully short. (BAD)

Iceland – I liked this album a lot more when I first heard it but this one’s still pretty great. Einar does some great clean and the chorus is just massive in the best way. Really just an all-around good song. Even if it’s like one of my least favorite entries in a while.

Belize – Can’t say I care for the vocals, the guy’s just not a very good singer. Musically though I kinda dig this, it goes a lot of places and while none of them are especially interesting it’s pretty diverse and fun. (DECENT)

Hungary – Has nice energy to it, I suppose. I don’t mind it at all but there’s not much else that stands out. It’s fine. (AVERAGE)

Canada – Yeah, I just have no use for this. (MEDIOCRE)

Mali – I listened to this twice and came away with the conclusion that it had no qualities whatsoever. But it sounded nice I guess. (AVERAGE)

that happened
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (isolation #23) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Post by Parama »

i gave exactly one song a good so i guess picking my 12 will probably be easy
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #123 (isolation #24) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by Parama »

song contests tend to be a land of disappointment. i don't think there was anything really that cool at all in all the contests last year, nothing i ended up getting an album from
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #124 (isolation #25) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Post by Parama »

wait there was starless. i got that album. so i guess there's one.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (isolation #26) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 am

Post by Parama »

dear future me finish this tonight
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (isolation #27) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 am

Post by Parama »

god that one blew hard, ugh
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #148 (isolation #28) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 am

Post by Parama »

In post 140, TheWayItEnds wrote:or.

you could say fuck it and just enter what you like.
this

I might just enter some weird dissonant metal next time cause why not

but tbh i should enter something that might actually get points
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #152 (isolation #29) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 am

Post by Parama »

nice
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #153 (isolation #30) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 am

Post by Parama »

if i win this contest ill send black metal next time
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #154 (isolation #31) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 am

Post by Parama »

if I don't win i will probably send it anyways
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (isolation #32) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Post by Parama »

In post 157, TheWayItEnds wrote:
In post 153, Parama wrote:if i win this contest ill send black metal next time
ill once again waffle between the pop artist that i cant stop listening too and the "boring" metalcore youd give 5 points too and then probably enter the metalcore like i normally do
If it helps i didnt give points to any metal this contest so
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #169 (isolation #33) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by Parama »

~kraska, who rightsided in the next contest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #175 (isolation #34) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Post by Parama »

not very good = 10/10, yes
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #179 (isolation #35) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 am

Post by Parama »

rable
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #182 (isolation #36) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 am

Post by Parama »

bl
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #188 (isolation #37) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am

Post by Parama »

rubble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #190 (isolation #38) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:19 am

Post by Parama »

i started something and i am proud

time to rightside
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (isolation #39) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 am

Post by Parama »

cancerabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #199 (isolation #40) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 am

Post by Parama »

pretty acceptable/10
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #208 (isolation #41) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 am

Post by Parama »

In post 206, Davsto wrote:tbh I think I would have scored considerably higher if not for the vocals, didn't expect that to be such a limiting factor

It never bothered me but I get how it would probably irk most people
It was more the lyrics than the vocals for me lol
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”