"Happy holidays" is bullshit Christian normativity.

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1339 (isolation #0) » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Post by Accountant »

Merry Christmas in advance!
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1423 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Post by Accountant »

His problem is when people are patronising about it

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1449 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Post by Accountant »

Who is Christmas meant to deceive?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1451 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Post by Accountant »

I think that I do not wish to allow Constantine's unethical actions to prevent me from enjoying a holiday.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1454 (isolation #4) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1452, -Grey- wrote:
In post 1451, Accountant wrote:I think that I do not wish to allow Constantine's unethical actions to prevent me from enjoying a holiday.
That's all well and good, as long as you realize that Jesus is not, in fact, the reason for the season.
I think that the vast majority of people who celebrate christmas in this thread do not give a flying fuck about jesus christ

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1457 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:30 am

Post by Accountant »

>tfw someone tells me what is in my mind

feelsbad

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1470 (isolation #6) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1467, DeathNote wrote:
In post 1454, Accountant wrote:
In post 1452, -Grey- wrote:
In post 1451, Accountant wrote:I think that I do not wish to allow Constantine's unethical actions to prevent me from enjoying a holiday.
That's all well and good, as long as you realize that Jesus is not, in fact, the reason for the season.
I think that the vast majority of people who celebrate christmas in this thread do not give a flying fuck about jesus christ

I do :(
Majority, not all

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1508 (isolation #7) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1505, T S O wrote:He's not lying, he's just playing psychological tricks with himself.
Do you have any evidence to support this claim? Generally when someone makes a claim about their personal life we believe it, as long as the claim is not outrageous. It's not outrageous to believe that a Jewish kid could be beaten up for being a Jew, so I believe him. What makes you think he's playing psychological tricks?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1516 (isolation #8) » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 am

Post by Accountant »

Surely you don't mean to imply that you are saying that TSQ is wrong about the reasoning for being beaten up and the real reason why he was bullied was because he was a dick?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1531 (isolation #9) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1530, Psyche wrote:Also, I feel like your characterization of real and fake Christians is vulnerable to the No True Scotsman fallacy. In fact, your characterization of "true" Christians as essentially moral saints who lack bias and are always convicted to do right misrepresents a lot about Christian theology.
This is a good point but I think a more devoted Christian who truly cares about the Church's teachings would be more likely to be fair and equitable than someone who was just going to church on sundays and relying on a shallow understanding of the bible

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1543 (isolation #10) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1533, Vi wrote:...which still circles into No True Christian...
this isn't no true christian, it's a distinction between two different types of christian and the comparison of their behaviors, concluding in the point that the distinction between their behavior means that it's a bad idea to generalize to all christians from one side's behavior

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1544 (isolation #11) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Post by Accountant »

An internal locus of control is an inherently desirable trait, so it's not religious discrimination if they only pick IoC people, and it just so happens that atheists are more likely to be ioc

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1553 (isolation #12) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1550, eagerSnake wrote:I don't know where you're from but I'm from the US. Nobody has ethics.

Here it seems like people see it as if what they're doing is unethical it would be illegal. If it's legal, it's therefore ethical.
This is a generalization

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1554 (isolation #13) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1547, eagerSnake wrote:What does a nonreligious person have to fear if they don't get caught?
suppose for a moment that God didn't exist

you have a chance to murder someone and you won't get caught

do you do it?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1555 (isolation #14) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Post by Accountant »

another way of looking at it is like this, is God the only thing preventing you from commiting crimes or murdering people any time you feel like it and think you won't get caught?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1562 (isolation #15) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:58 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1560, eagerSnake wrote:But from my experiences, people simply can't be trusted
you think people can't be trusted not to commit murder? or?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1576 (isolation #16) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:06 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1563, eagerSnake wrote:
In post 1562, Accountant wrote:
In post 1560, eagerSnake wrote:But from my experiences, people simply can't be trusted
you think people can't be trusted not to commit murder? or?
People can't be trusted for anything.

Yeah, if I had a million USD in cash, I wouldn't trust anyone NOT to murder me for it. Of course I'm not going to walk around with that much money anyway.

But that's a hyperbole and on the very extreme end of the spectrum. I'm talking more about being lazy, lying, cheating, being lustful, stealing, discriminating, etc. You just can't trust people not to do these things. Religious or not.
i liked your posts but this is textbook cynicism

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1581 (isolation #17) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Accountant »

Nonreligious means you have no religion but aren't uncertain about supernatural forces or firmly convinced that there aren't. Someone who believed in the Force or universal ki or chakra but didn't practice any religious things would be nonreligious

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1583 (isolation #18) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:49 am

Post by Accountant »

I think if we had some kind of zen master who's talking about karma and the universal life force and being one with the iris - that kind of person should be distinct from an atheist scientist

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1588 (isolation #19) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1586, eagerSnake wrote:If I had to pick one group of people to trust, it'd probably be Tibetan Monks. Even if I don't agree with them on some things, I think they're probably the best bet as far as trust goes. Plus they're harmless. If they don't agree with you, they light THEMSELVES on fire, not you.
Generalization

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1590 (isolation #20) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:23 am

Post by Accountant »

But you can interview the people in your life - such as the people you are thinking about promoting to a higher position in your company.

I hear this is a popular practuce

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1593 (isolation #21) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1591, eagerSnake wrote:Yeah I'm constantly interviewing those people- whether they realize it or not- and they're constantly failing.
Maybe the issue is that you're surrounding yourself with horrible people?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1597 (isolation #22) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1594, Garmr wrote:
In post 1593, Accountant wrote:
In post 1591, eagerSnake wrote:Yeah I'm constantly interviewing those people- whether they realize it or not- and they're constantly failing.
Maybe the issue is that you're surrounding yourself with horrible people?
Or maybe your definition of horrible is to broad and your generalizing some nice people out there?
eagerSnake said they were surrounded by untrustworthy people that they wouldn't trust not to stab them in the back if they thought they could get away with it and could gain something from it

Return to “General Discussion”