Newbie 1769: Happy New Year! (Day 2)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. It is suggested, but not required, that you play your first game here. Signups Here
mattblackguy
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: December 26, 2016

Post Post #550  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm

In post 548, -Grey- wrote:Hypocrite, thy name is matt.


Yeah I did admit earlier that I sheeped Giga a little too much, but when I did sheep him it was because I agreed with what he was saying, not because I wanted him to townread me.

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #551  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 pm

In post 400, cassielle wrote:wrapping it up relatively quicklike. i got strong scumdar pings on gbT, schadd_ and rask.

schadd_ and Rask, I might work with you on.

Gigs, nowai.
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #552  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:02 pm

In post 431, Creature wrote:This looks really reckless for scum, but what bothers me is that he took 13 mins to make post 240.

What's your opinion?

Seriously? How is that even a concern?

I'm not overly keen on his slot, but that's hella nitpicky.
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

cassielle
Goon
 
Joined: January 07, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #553  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 pm

yeah, i hear you. my take on that: gbT is someone who im going to say is safe to assume i consider ultrascum, but atm im not going to back that up. im waiting on them to come in and respond to something, their slot is not on my current readlists because theyre in a quantum state for me atm. if thats weird or ugly, idc really, theyre really active (no worry of not getting an answer in reasonable time) and theyll either prove my prior hunch right or force me to reconsider things, theres nothing more and nothing less to it.

schadd_'s latest has me feeling i jumped the gun on him. rask is just blaring alarm bells all over tho.

p-edit: the reason that would matter -- if it were significantly longer, it would feel like just an offhand addendum, l'esprit d'escalier so to speak yeah? if it were shorter it would feel like "OH SHIT" correction/important addendum. 13 minutes feels calculated, like every last word was carefully considered. and the presentation of 240 is pretty slick in general for him: short, sweet, very dense.

its not a STRONG thing, imo, but its def there.

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #554  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm

In post 455, cassielle wrote:actually, excluding gbT id like a condensed prelim reads list from you creature, just for compare and contrast purposes. ill do the same:

TOWNIEST
creature
gayreen
tb
mbg
shade
schadd_
rask
SCUMMIEST

and if you could your preferred scumteam pairings.

Not seeing Gigs in this list?
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

mattblackguy
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: December 26, 2016

Post Post #555  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:09 pm

In post 540, cassielle wrote:shade feels more scummy than gayreen or even tb imo. can i get the reasoning for him being above them? i guess another way to word this is -- what do you weight more when looking for scumreads? activity, content, tone, or gut? theres good reasons to reconsider shades placement based on some of those.


I don't put too much weight into activity because it can be easily fabricated (See Rask). I guess I would say my scumreads come mostly from the type of content I see people post, and tone. If I feel someone is putting their reads out there, and is genuine with what they say (meaning they 100% believe what they are saying) then I'm more likely to town read them. It's the main reason I have a townread on schadd.

And again I try not to post if my post isn't going to advance the game at all. I don't like fluff too much, and try to avoid it when possible, which is why my post count is so much lower than many others.

cassielle
Goon
 
Joined: January 07, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #556  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 pm

In post 554, -Grey- wrote:Not seeing Gigs in this list?


In post 455, cassielle wrote:actually, excluding gbT [...] ill do the same

cassielle
Goon
 
Joined: January 07, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #557  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 pm

In post 555, mattblackguy wrote:I don't put too much weight into activity because it can be easily fabricated (See Rask). I guess I would say my scumreads come mostly from the type of content I see people post, and tone. If I feel someone is putting their reads out there, and is genuine with what they say (meaning they 100% believe what they are saying) then I'm more likely to town read them. It's the main reason I have a townread on schadd.

And again I try not to post if my post isn't going to advance the game at all. I don't like fluff too much, and try to avoid it when possible, which is why my post count is so much lower than many others.


im with all of this

main thing with shade is, his posts arent just sparse, theyre also real fake and forced (creature noticed too) and low on content. a lot of pushback at being questioned but its gt a joking tone without the outrage i expect from town.

what do you focus on most when doing scumreads then? gut, tone, content?

imo tb and gayreen pinging your scumdar for inactivity isnt very consistent here, even considering timing, shades also dropped off after an initial okay-ish showing

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #558  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 pm

First impressions:

{Creature}
{Casserole, Gigs}
{schadd_}
{ThinkBig, Shade}
{matt, Rask}

Not yet ready to put down a vote, will probably do that tomorrow.

Prepare yourselves for the upcoming onslaught.
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

cassielle
Goon
 
Joined: January 07, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #559  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

looking forward to it. also liking your list.

Aeronaut
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: September 08, 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #560  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

- VoteCount 1.11 -
With 9 players still alive, it's 5 to lynch!


[L-5] mattblackguy -
[L-5] -Grey- -
[L-5] schadd -
[L-4] Shade - Raskolnikov
[L-2] Raskolnikov - Cassielle, Creature, mattblackguy
[L-3] ThinkBig - schadd_, gigabyteTroubadour,
[L-5] gigabyteTroubadour -
[L-5] Creature -
[L-5] Cassielle -

Not Voting - -Grey-, Shade, ThinkBig

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2017-01-18 20:00:00)
Now Modding:
Newbie 1769: Happy New Year (D2)
"You are the magic Pikachu that mafiascum.net needs" - Equinox

mattblackguy
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: December 26, 2016

Post Post #561  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm

In post 557, cassielle wrote:imo tb and gayreen pinging your scumdar for inactivity isnt very consistent here, even considering timing, shades also dropped off after an initial okay-ish showing


Kinda confused. In my most recent reads list, I never said that I think shade is town, or even town-lean. Yes schadd, and shade are right next to each other on my reads list, but I read schadd as town, while I read shade more as null-scum.

[Towniest]
Creature (top town partially because everyone reads him as town) - town
Gigabyte - town
Cassielle - town
Schadd - town
Shade - null scum
Gayreen - null scum
ThinkBig - med scum
Rask - top scum
[scummiest]

So yeah I view Shade similar to how I view Gayreen although it looked like Shade has put more effort into his posts than Gayreen did.

mattblackguy
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: December 26, 2016

Post Post #562  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 pm

In post 557, cassielle wrote:main thing with shade is, his posts arent just sparse, theyre also real fake and forced (creature noticed too) and low on content. a lot of pushback at being questioned but its gt a joking tone without the outrage i expect from town.


Alright well then I think I need to read over his posts again. I just didn't get that impression when I read over his posts the first time.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #563  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Schadd's feels more of a niche read (might be harder to go into) but I can revisit and talk about him too

In post 180, schadd_ wrote:interrogating is towny, emotions are scummy. a bit more of the former, tho

Initial impression was this in his read on me, it's weird but I don't actually see why or how scum would make this judgment about interrogating vs emotions and come out overall leaning to the former. Basically it's nuanced but there's no clear malicious reason he'd fake it (if OTOH analysis makes someone look bad or tries to buddy you can see scum motive but townlean not as much). I'm not sure this is as big of a towntell as it was when I first saw it but I still think it's pretty town from him.

The rest of that post looks alright though I'm not sure how to judge, given how little existed at that point beyond gbt-creat-me (and I myself am not 100% on gbt yet, my interaction with her probably having coloured my view somewhat too).

is the second major thing, this was amazing for questioning GBT as most widely townread player, on both having too many townreads and me and then expressing a sort of almost "shock" that me and creature didn't find it strange and almost a "well I guess they probably know better?" feeling on top it at the end. The first part is "against-the-current" focus I don't think you generally see from scum, given it doesn't look like casting shade either I don't think that disrupting the status quo or something malicious was really his intention going for that either (in other words not much scum motivation fulfilled there). But then after, taking it and thinking to me and creature as SEs and that kind of consideration, I don't think I'm imagining any of that and it'd be incredibly creative for him as scum to have gone through each of those steps after the read in one thought process I feel. Rest of the post didn't/still doesn't really stick out but the others still didnt have much content at that point.

In post 489, schadd_ wrote:detail is what i used, as scum, to look like i was doing something. if you say something simple and then link to a post, then the attention is taken off of yourself. to add to this, i don't really have any grandiose reasoning for anyone, but i have given some amount of support for all of my moderately strong reads; you can probably find them if you really want to. i couldn't go through everyone without repeating myself. if you scumread me for that, cool.
incidentally, "theyre not feeling nice to me, im not liking them one bit." doesn't feel nice to me.

This is pretty much just WIFOM on the surface but coming from a newbie this reads pretty sincere. I like the "i couldn't go through everyone without repeating myself. if you scumread me for that, cool." kind of take-it-or-leave-it attitude, it looks like that feeling where you've done your due-diligence and because of that don't feel like you particularly "ought" to do anymore, which definitely isn't a scum thing. (absolutely not to be confused with apathy or straight up scum lurking though). Self-meta here too matches up with him having played scum more times than town if that makes sense.

Overall it's a little harder to get a gauge on his scumhunting but I think it's because he's had the same issue with think and former rakkar slot lurking so much. I like his questioning of gayreen being so townread and his expressed doubts there, not only do I agree but also he didn't go too far the other way or try to make him look bad on it either as I think scum might've.
.
v/la most weekends
.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #564  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Alright so that's matt and schadd, although over the very course of me doing this I feel like things have kind of shifted into an overall fuck-raskolnikov mentality this game.

So I'm not sure how much we'll actually discuss read differences now as opposed to, well.
.
v/la most weekends
.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #565  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Uhhhhhh casserole can you save me I'm in kind of a tight spot here.
.
v/la most weekends
.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #566  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Can we please wagon this instead of me, thank you all for your cooperation.

VOTE: Thinkbig

Will sheep for hire
.
v/la most weekends
.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #567  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Creature I've never pulled in a favour from you before but I'd appreciate an unvote right about soon.
.
v/la most weekends
.

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #568  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 pm

In post 472, Raskolnikov wrote:VOTE: Shade

Probably should've joined this wagon when it originally happened.

In post 286, Raskolnikov wrote:VOTE: rakkar

this is most likely the scum.

Holding onto the tell for now but it's a good one, tried and true.

What happened to this vote?
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #569  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Cass replaced rakkar.

Rakkar had the classic scumtell where you say you're excited and eager to do something but when things happen it becomes too much and you disappear. Compounded with PoE and a bit of confbiasy thinking that maybe think's partner felt demotivated.

Cass replace was pretty exceptional though.
.
v/la most weekends
.

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #570  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

In post 468, Raskolnikov wrote:Gayreen
Shade
Thinkbig

{Thinkbig, Gayreen}
{Shade, Gayreen}
Thinkbig/shade prob not

Not quite convincing, potentially wrong on someone

In either of the scenarios you're considering, I'm the common denominator in the scumteam.

Why are you voting Shade instead of me?
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

-Grey-
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 26, 2016
Location: Xanth

Post Post #571  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

In post 569, Raskolnikov wrote:Cass replaced rakkar.

Yeah, right.

Enough said.
It's not what a lawyer tells me I may do but what humanity, reason, and justice tells me I ought to do. - Edmund Burke
---
Best Performance (Town): Open 661 (fake-countered scum cop claim as VT on d1)
Best Performance (Scum): Newbie 1763 (Turned a scumread slot into obvtown for clean sweep)

cassielle
Goon
 
Joined: January 07, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #572  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 pm

im not feeling any reason to save you atm, tbh. id be suspicious of anyone who pushed this wagon to l-1 without a lot of good reasoning before that vote, yeah, but i think towns on the correct motorcycle atm. a lolhammer from out of the blue isn't gonna look too pretty for either of those last two votes either, id say thatd be indicative of scumblock

creature doesnt seem to disagree with me, either. i think youre showing a lot of floundering under what is, according to what you said about tb's wagon, pretty moderate pressure.

lets go over your schadd_ read, yeah? relax. gimme a moment to write up my thoughts before you start panicking all over the thread. if you want out of this the absolute best way to do it is to exonerate yourself, and the fastest way to do that is to go through, not hope to put the fast-moving wagon in reverse.

p-edit: also what grey's saying is a gooood point.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #573  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 pm

In post 571, -Grey- wrote:
In post 569, Raskolnikov wrote:Cass replaced rakkar.

Yeah, right.

Enough said.

How do you treat replacements -grey- ?
.
v/la most weekends
.

Raskolnikov
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015

Post Post #574  (ISO)  » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:48 pm

It's as if you think weighting a scumread on a slot with not much content low and re-evaluating it when you have a lot more isn't the right thing to do?
.
v/la most weekends
.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to The Road to Rome