Donald Trump

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Davsto
Farce of Habit

Pronoun: He

Post Post #10259  (isolation #200)  » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Admitting a flaw in their candidate is a sign of weakness to some people.
"dammit davsto" - everyone"I'm never in someone's sig :(" - McMenno
On UK time, currently UTC+0

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10622  (isolation #201)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 pm

In post 10603, karnos wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4001266/The-victim-Merkel-s-welcome-culture-Death-teenager-raped-murdered-Afghan-migrant-Germany-sparks-protests-latest-backlash-against-open-door-policy.html

The savage rape and murder of a beautiful 19-year-old medical student in Germany at the hands of a teenage Afghan refugee has sparked a frenzied backlash against the 'open door' asylum policy of Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"There is nothing anybody could have done!"

Well, yeah: you could just not go in the pool (i.e., stop taking on refugees)

Ahahahahahaha using the daily mail as if it's a legitimate source ahahahahahaha you tickle me in so many ways, none of them right

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10626  (isolation #202)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm attacking the argument because it cites the Daily Mail as a source which is notoriously unreliable

Sure, I came along with a bit of a personal jab too, but I never said that anyone who did a personal attack was a terrible person and am not a hypocrite - all I did originally was mock you because you said you "didn't resort to personal attacks" in the same sentence as a personal attack.

But sure, sit and smile like you've won anyway. You deserve it for all the effort you put into this thread, as misguided as it all is.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10637  (isolation #203)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:59 pm

In post 10635, Untrod Tripod wrote:it is however a bad argument to dismiss a news item out of hand because a source is openly partisan

the political leaning of the Daily Mail has no bearing on whether or not the attack actually happened

It's not a political lean thing - many stories coming through the Daily Mail are just simply false or at least ridiculously exaggerated, as inte says above.

Additionally, my thought when people link to the DM as a source is that it was the best source they could find as chances are if there were one from a source which is more reliable they'd be linking it.

Do you get why I assume that DM sources are therefore likely bad?

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10645  (isolation #204)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm

In post 10643, Sesq wrote:The thing is that most of these papers have a very liberal bias, so if they're reporting something counter to the narrative then that's certainly something right there.

Sounds like you don't really know about British press - generally speaking, Daily Mail leans right.

Of course, it's a tabloid, so it is very much more an opinions sort of paper all written by various people who aren't really watched closely so there's a lot of varying opinions, but generally it is seen to be right leaning.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10656  (isolation #205)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:29 pm

In post 10647, Sesq wrote:
In post 10645, Davsto wrote:
In post 10643, Sesq wrote:The thing is that most of these papers have a very liberal bias, so if they're reporting something counter to the narrative then that's certainly something right there.

Sounds like you don't really know about British press - generally speaking, Daily Mail leans right.

Of course, it's a tabloid, so it is very much more an opinions sort of paper all written by various people who aren't really watched closely so there's a lot of varying opinions, but generally it is seen to be right leaning.

The UK right is also different from the US right. This isn't a good generalization tho (referring to my stuff above)

But in the terms of the Mail and similar tabloids, that is not even slightly counter to their narrative. The Mail, the Sun, etc report things like this more often than not, because they are entirely anti-migrant. Add that to the Daily Mail's already lie-filled past and you have a ridiculously unreliable source.

Are you honestly saying that just because something says something that is "counter to the narrative" of the general push of papers then it is true, or at least "there is something right there?" Is it not possible that the narrative has been established not through some left-wing collusion to ruin America and Europe through the introduction of murdering rapist migrants, but because it's close to the truth?

I'm sure if papers reported literally every rape or murder committed by any person every time it happens, you'd see a lot of news stories related to it. That's why you may feel you see so many migrant crime stories - because everyone has the capacity to be bad. No paper reports every single crime committed because it's a ridiculous waste of time. However, those with an anti-migrant bias can (and often do) report the vast majority of migrant crimes, therefore you see a lot more migrant crimes than non-migrant crimes in the news if you look at every source. Therefore, migrants could commit way fewer crimes than a native citizen, but because they are way more likely to have their news reported, they look worse.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10657  (isolation #206)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm

In post 10654, karnos wrote:It absolutely is, against the article. Davsto attacked the character of the source rather than the actual substance of the article.

No, I attacked the substance of the source in general, because it is notoriously unreliable. Pay attention.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10670  (isolation #207)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm

In post 10660, karnos wrote:
In post 10657, Davsto wrote:
In post 10654, karnos wrote:It absolutely is, against the article. Davsto attacked the character of the source rather than the actual substance of the article.

No, I attacked the substance of the source in general, because it is notoriously unreliable. Pay attention.

You attacked the source, not the argument. Call it "substance" if you want, it's still a fallacy.

Okay, I'll put it in terms that may help you understand it.

Imagine you have someone at your work, let's call him Day Lee. He's a habitual liar, and everyone knows it. Okay, not everything he says is a lie, but he tells lots of tales about times he saved someone from being mugged or his dad dying from cancer twice and lots of other bullcrap. He tells lie after lie after lie, no matter how many times he's caught out, to the point where you don't even know when he's telling the truth.

Additionally, he's really quite racist against black people. You don't like it, but he is. He frequently uses slurs and degrades them.

Now one day, he comes up to you and tells you that, on the way to work, he was beaten up violently by a black man who used lots of anti-white language against him, and that it's an example of just how terrible they all are.

Day Lee, whose past has shown him a habitual liar, comes up to you and tells you a story about something that happened, which also very conveniently happens to fit his exact worldview. Now, call it a personal attack, but is it really so fallacious to assume offhand that his story is probably bollocks?

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10677  (isolation #208)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm

wow youre right karnos that is a much better analogy than mine other than everything about it

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10722  (isolation #209)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 am

In post 10710, Tere wrote:
In post 10645, Davsto wrote:

All snark aside, would it be helpful to try to decode British press for folk in a separate aside? Perhaps even a sticky for World press including US 101?

I am getting very tired about saying guys plz Daily Mail is not a source....

I mean maybe, but karnos all but said doesn't really give a flying fornication how unreliable his source is as long as it supports his worldview and the point he's trying to push and most others who use it as a source feel the same so part of me doesn't really see the point.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10771  (isolation #210)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:21 pm

In post 10726, T S O wrote:HuffPo is actually carcinogenic.

I'm sure the Daily Mail has probably said it is at some point

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10808  (isolation #211)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm

The only issue with the term "SJW" is that a lot of more right-aligned people just use it as a catch-all derogatory term to discredit the opinion of anyone further left than they are, so now 90% of the time I see someone describing others as being SJWs I immediately disregard it unless it's actually been explained and expanded upon.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10822  (isolation #212)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:05 am

In post 10819, kuribo wrote:Like, I saw literally no shorthand-for-black people memes about Harambe. Every single meme I saw of him over six months in 2016 was about respect, admiration, missing him, him being a hero, or whipping your dick out in tribute

I was under the impression that the memes worshiping Harambe were more intended to mock those who genuinely reacted (well, overreacted) quite badly to his death.

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10855  (isolation #213)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

In post 10852, Annadog40 wrote:Not like people can go around, under or over a wall.

Can't go over it
Can't go under it
Can't go around it
Have to go through it!

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10931  (isolation #214)  » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm

In post 10928, inte wrote:also, don't strawman me

In post 10915, inte wrote:the dossier is real, what is outlined in the dossier is unverified, or potentially false

Karnos? Strawmanning? Gosh, never!

Previous
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion