How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

Post by mykonian »

Its a really stupid answer, but don't get scumread. Defense, something that people talk about, does not exist. The more you try to not get lynched, the scummier you look, the more you ignore it, the more people will think you are avoiding the issues laid against you. There's no right answer, if you get run up, or suspected, at some point it's your time. It's how mobs and suspicion work, so do get started well. We can pretend we pick our lynches intelligently and adjust for information we gain through the days, but it takes a lot of effort to have people go away from the read they had about someone day 1, even if they don't believe they are tunneling.

So yes, when momentum is against you and you are the next one to go, everything you do will get complained about, if you post it'll get talked about how it's scummy this time, and that might be disheartening enough to lurk out. You won't be the only one. You can take some solace in that they are actually just scumreading you in stead of your posts, but then again, putting effort into those posts isn't worth it either: tomorrow, despite that you have become confirmed town, nobody really cares about what's in them anyway.

To a certain extent, if you focus on that, you can extend the time you live, while being suspected. It doesn't solve your problem, just shifts it to a later day, and in between they still won't listen.

So as to advice, it comes back to the first sentence. Don't get suspected. It's a weak area for everybody.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:56 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 13, Frozen Angel wrote:This is wrong though. You should always be transparent and truthful about stuff and answer the cases on you. "The more you answer the scummier you look" is stupid.
yes, doesn't make it less true.

and Thats me - who only got lynched twice in past year (about 50 games?) on MS (once as scum day 1 - when RC used a tricky tell) and once as town in lylo when I was exhusted from my teaching class and instead of defending myself I started criticizing the town!
8 years and a 50% rate of getting mislynched, of which the large majority in the first 2 days.

Otoh, as scum in that same period, the 2 times I was lynched day 2 were out of a claim situation, other lynches always more towards the end of the game.

I know pretty well what the difference is, it's in my day one play, and without delving into self meta too much it comes down to transperancy. Truth kills me personally, but obviously that goes differently for other people. Either way, after that the game really takes it's own course. You are not the determining factor in if you get lynched or not. There's too much ambiguity in how stuff gets read that what looks like perfect transparent town play can easily be explained away and dismissed as having ulterior motives. The goal is to not have too many people read into your posts that way as scum (because you always find something). As town, why would you try to tailor how people read you? :]
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #52 (isolation #2) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:05 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 34, RadiantCowbells wrote:You need to manipulate other townies when you are town and those who say otherwise are idealists who don't understand how the game works.
I'm of the opinion that this has cost you a couple of the games I have seen you in.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #71 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:43 am

Post by mykonian »

I mean, it keeps you alive if you play like scum.

But at what cost? VT's aren't survivors.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”