Song Contest 102 (Entries up, votes due 1/17!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #104 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Imma be here later.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #105 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Post by Formerfish »

My Top 10 (in no particular order):

Central African Republic- Dire Straits: Private Investigations- Haunting piano/guitar combo, nice build in the body of the song, lulls you into a false sense of calm and then ratchets the tempo up again. Solid deep cut.

Belize- Oceana- Barracuda Capital of the World- Slow start, then it hits. I dig it. Good lyrics you can understand over a pleasing mix of instruments. I would listen to it again and seek the band out.

Hungary- Chase & Status- All Goes wrong ft. Tom grennan- I am a huge fan of these guys to begin with. A friend turned me onto them years ago. Their music gives me goosies. Then it makes me want to get my shit together and live better. And they always work with such great vocalists.

Benin- Fat Freddy’s Drop- Roady- Decent at what it is, wouldn’t mind listening if it came on, but I probably wouldn’t seek it out.

Canada- Postmodern Jukebox- Colors of the Wind- These guys put out some pretty groovy jams, this is a good rendition of the song.

The Principality of Sealand- AnnenMayKantereit- Barfub Am Klavier- Amazing voice, I wish I knew what he was saying, but at the same time I am glad I don’t.

Azerbaijan- Tre Mission ft. Thes- Stigmata- Great flow, perfect beat, good sampling, I liked it a lot.

Philippines- Blackpink- Whistle- Had me bobbing my head along with the beat, nice changes to the pace and genre even. Guilty Pleasure material for sure.

Japan- Kevin Abstract- echo- strong song choice, I would listen to more of this.

Greece- Death Cab- I will Possess your Heart- I love this song, and its one of the reasons I started listening to Death Cab.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #160 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 139, KuroiXHF wrote:To be honest, I'm having a difficult time trying to find the kind of music that people here like to listen to.

I started with a Within Temptation song and someone said that it reminds them of Nightwish (which they know, and I love) but worse. So I thought that I should try a more epic and less specific genre, so I tried Zack Hemsey and that did even worse. Now I tried a completely different route - a silly band, but with an alternate blend of guitar and brass instruments, and people aren't liking that.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm looking for music for next contest and I'm probably going with a metal band. But I feel like I'm not hitting the bar.
The way I understood this contest to be set up was that we submit songs we love, from any era and genre. In doing so we at least introduce some artists that we might not otherwise be introduced to. Don't pander to the audience, introduce them to your favorite song, or shit just one that spoke to you for a moment. Let others find what you did, or something different, or nothing. That's the beauty of music. What you like isn't the same as anyone else, or for the same exact reasons even.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #162 (isolation #3) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am

Post by Formerfish »

I heard my song on an episode of Empire, don't judge me, and it just instantly invoked a certain response in me. I don't want to sound hoaky, but it spoke to me in a way. Look up the lyrics and follow along with the message and the intensity, changes everything.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #163 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am

Post by Formerfish »

DAV, right on with the last part of your post. Good or bad I've loved reading about how people took my song. I know it's all based on personal preference, but it's cool to see what others got out of a song like that.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #231 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Thanks everyone! This was actually my first time participating after years of seeing it around. I can't wait to go home and figure out what song to do next round. I think I'm going to flip things completely and go a much different route

Return to “General Discussion”