Survivor Mafiascum Rankdown (Properly Dead. Leave it dead)

This subforum is for additional threads for
ongoing
Mish Mash games. If a game has multiple active threads at once, all but the first one should be made in this forum.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1169 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:49 am

Post by Snakes »

In post 1166, kdowns wrote:
In post 1164, xofelf wrote:Nope, not just that. CC doesn't want to be a ranker anymore, so as he's already in the chat and was part of it originally, Xalxe's been offered the spot, if he says no, then someone who has preferably played/spectated/modded a majority of these games is welcome to take his spot.
/volunteer
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1185 (isolation #1) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Post by Snakes »

306? Draco (Mallowgeno) - Hogwarts

"Okay this time I call bull crap on me not getting 10 galleons...I definitely posted a paragraph and posted a pm and answered questions. This isn't easy at all to get 10 galleons..."

Draco was an okay character. He floated through the Ravenclaw tribe and latched onto the Peeves and Stan duo at the swap. During the next swap, he didn't make any strong connections and was voted out. During the game, he did just enough to survive until he didn't.

In his confessional was another story. Survivor Hogwarts had a mechanic where the players could buy items using money. This money could be earned through surviving, winning challenges and writing good confessionals. While people like Fenrir, Klick, Cephrir and Cybele were putting in lots of effort and earning the full 10 galleons, Draco's idea of a good confessional was a single post giving a one sentence answer to a couple mod questions. Needless to say, Draco often received 5 galleons for a mediocre confessional.

Instead of being disappointed and moving on, though, Draco took every 5 he received personally. He had a thread where he would complain every time he got a 5. That thread is three pages long. It sounds like this should move Draco up but there is a line between a memorable character quirk and annoying, and Draco's constant complaining was definitely annoying. Plus he didn't really add much to the season anyway.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1217 (isolation #2) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Post by Snakes »

299. Blastoise (Nicholas1024) - Sky Pillar

Squirtle
/
Pippin
:

Though he plays innocent, Squirtle definitely knows what he's doing, having connections to everyone except Chimchar, and a good alliance with both Staryu and Shinx. Completing the analogy is the small matter of the eventual first place vict-
On second thought, let's not even go there.

There are two kinds of Nich games. There are the ones where he has lots of time, stays active and emerges as a threat to win. And then there are the other games. This was one of the other games. Blastoise started off pretty good. He had a plan to improve his social game and got in the majority alliance. He survived shipwreck, and that's when the activity problems started. If you look at his confessional, you'll see a decent player who has good connections.

If you look at anyone else's confessional, you'll see a different story. His allies complained that he didn't talk to them enough and the people who weren't his allies complained that he didn't talk to them at all. It got so bad that Jal ended up coining the word "wartortled" to refer to people who don't reply to PMs.

Somehow, Blastoise made it to the merge. The first vote, he wasted an idol on himself. He was voted out during the next tribal council, not because he was a threat, but because he had the most past votes so he would get eliminated in a tie. Overall, Blastoise was someone who existed but didn't add that much to the game. He did misuse an idol and that was a little entertaining, but Nich has much more entertaining idol misplays.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1312 (isolation #3) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Post by Snakes »

In post 1293, Cheery Dog wrote:I'm pretty sure my best character would still be Courtney.
I feel like Zeno would be on par with Rex for different reasons.
Sarah Jane is also around there somewhere.

At the moment I'm just waiting to find out how far Unown's coin flip has netted him.
Well, about that...

293. Unown (Cheery Dog) - Survivor Eon

"Heads wins!"

Unown starts out on the Renbow tribe. Nobody really feels close to him and on most tribes, this would make him an easy boot. But he lucks out. Bellsprout gets threatened by Fennekin and targets him, Fennekin finds out and targets Bellsprout and this takes the target off of Unown. Unown gets swapped into Laiun. Apparently he wrote long PMs but once again, he didn't make anyone care about him. There was some drama on that tribe with Frogadier getting too close to Machoke and Froslass stray voting for Frogadier, but all this effected was what would happen in the second Laiun tribal council, which never happened. Everyone agreed on voting out Unown first and when they went to tribal council, that's exactly what happened.

Right before that, however, was The Coin Flip. During the challenge, the other two tribes are both pleading with Laiun to help them out. Unown is the only one online at the time, so he decides to settle it in the fairest way possible: by flipping a coin. It didn't
really
end up effecting the game (Wartortle's immunity was only good for one round so he would have been voted out anyway) but it was still a great moment and it was fun to watch everyone melt down.

However, Unown was still the most forgettable member of both of his tribes. Renbow was a great tribe: Fennekin was a very fun winner, Pikachu journeyed from a newbie who was a possible early boot to a legitimate threat, Wartortle was in the center of everything and put up a fight during the swap, Stunky was playing a strong game and could have gone far until he gave up his vote, and Bellsprout made the tribe a lot of fun to watch by targeting Fennekin...And then there was Unown. On Laiun, there was a lot of drama going down in the tribal council where Unown was voted out, but none of it involved Unown.

Cheery Dog has had several great performances (see the last game) and his characters are usually very rootable. While Unown was an underdog, he wasn't an underdog in the fun way. He never really got his footing in the game, had a fun moment, and then got voted out.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1388 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:41 am

Post by Snakes »

Numbers was amazing. It wasn't until she left that the game
really
got interesting.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1471 (isolation #5) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Post by Snakes »

287. Daenerys Targaryen (Xofelf) - Game of Thrones

Well my dear Tyrion, I didn't care if I made it to the end. That was the thing you kinda missed. It was never keep me safe for the purposes of getting to the end. It was getting Gilly to the end even if I had to die to do so.

We all love xof and we know she is a great player, but the Dany we got didn't live up to her potential. She started the game with her attention divided between Game of Thrones and an offsite survivor game. She was good enough to survive, but not good enough to be a fun character. In Shiidaji's character rankings, Dany places 14th out of 18. Dany's ally Brienne got voted out and Dany thought everything was okay, when she would have been in trouble had her tribe lost again.

Luckily, Dany made it to the shipwreck and met the player who would end up becoming her #1 ally: Gilly. This relationship has always felt sketchy to me. Xof has said that she didn't work with Gilly just because it was Ceph. But make no mistake, these were two players who made the final 2 together in Greece, and Dany knew who Gilly was, and Gilly knew who Dany was. Xof gets voted out of her offsite game, and she can focus entirely on GOT and she improves. She gets into a good spot on her swapped tribe, makes some allies and does some fun video confessionals.

And now it's time for the merge! In terms of gameplay, Dany gets into a good spot in the majority. As a character, Dany is a little frustrating to watch. She gushes in her confessional about Gilly and how they're planning and plotting together. If you look at Gilly's confessional, she likes Dany, but she really likes three other people, and can't decide who her #1 is. By the final 9, it looks like Gilly is going to win with everyone else competing to be her best friend, and Dany is her biggest enabler.

Unfortunately, real life hits. Xof's wifi completely gives out, and she has to mooch off neighbors, stand out in the cold, or go to the library just to PM. This really hurts her activity, and torpedoes her chances of winning. Dany realizes that she probably isn't going to win, and instead of getting voted out for inactivity or making strategic moves to separate herself from Gilly, she decides that since she probably isn't going to win, she should play for Gilly to win.
I just really want to live is basically where I'm at. Or if I have to go than Gilly needs to be safe. That's about it.
Jal:Is there anyone you believe hasn't deserved to have gotten this far?
Yeah, probably me. I haven't really done much of anything in the past few rounds.
Vote: Eddard

You're a nice guy, but I would much rather be sacrificed off for Gilly next round due to immunity than this.
Freezing my fingers off to check a vote shows either stupidity or dedication, you all decide which. But I will be , making sure however I leave things gilly will be safe if I do die off.
And then after doing what Gilly wants for the whole game, Dany makes the final 3 and is voted out by Gilly and she's...okay with it?

There's such a thing as a character staying in the game too long. If Dany had been voted out at around final 8, she would have been a fun character with some good confessionals who got screwed over by netdeath. By making the final 3, she still got screwed over, but she also made a great game more predictable by basically becoming Gilly's second vote. To be fair to Dany though, she really tried hard to get around her lower inactivity. She did all the challenges and she would stand out into the cold just to send PMs or do confessionals. That's a level of dedication I'm not sure many people at this site have. But if we're at a point where we can cut people like Danny from Season Finale for not playing to win, we can do the same thing with Dany from Game of Thrones.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1474 (isolation #6) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Post by Snakes »

Also I'm going to edit that writeup when I'm less busy. There's more to Dany than just the first tribe and the midmerge.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1579 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Post by Snakes »

280. George (Axxle)- Hogwarts

Thread Title: Welcome George; 1st Place
Thank you, thank you! I couldn't have done it without you all!

George is a classic example of a cockroach who keeps being in danger and keeps surviving. George started on Hufflepuff where he was the least connected active member, but he was more active than Ron, so he survived. At the swap, George ended up on a tribe with Lupin, who had literally never signed in since the swap so even though George wasn't in a great spot, he was kept around.

It's now the final 14, and after a fake merge, the players left in the game rank each other based on who they like. George finishes second to last. Luckily for him however, the ranking turns out to be for a swap and all the people nobody likes (plus Klick and DV) end up on the same tribe, and George is able to make it to merge. He's supposed to be in the majority but the other side has an idol. Even though there were bigger threats they could have gone after, George gets idoled out because George was the one person in the majority that the minority could all agree on.

This is also an Axxle character, which means that there's some fun shitposting in public, but other than that, there isn't much to George's character.

Now, cockroach stories are one of the most fun character arcs. But the problem that I have with George is that it's not even an interesting cockroach story. Nobody hated George, they just found him bland and boring, and George survived by having the good luck of always being on a tribe where there was someone who was less active/less social than him. There's also a much better "Nobody likes him but keeps surviving anyway" storyline in Hogwarts in Voldemort.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1743 (isolation #8) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:57 am

Post by Snakes »

Sorry for taking so long. It's finals week for me, but I'll have my cut up soon.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1746 (isolation #9) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Post by Snakes »

274. Birdo (Mykonian) - Mushroom Kingdom

Goomba is supposedly experienced, but a nice person. He wants to help me... yeah. As long as you are helping me more then yourself, we have an agreement.

This rankdown hasn't been kind to Mushroom Kingdom. That game had 30 players, and there are only five of them still around. One of them is Birdo and even after rereading the game, I'm not completely sure how Birdo hasn't been cut yet. He's (she's?) nice enough but not one of the bigger characters of the season.

Birdo starts off the game with a storyline of struggling to make allies. The few times she does manage to make allies (Toadette), they're voted out. Birdo floats through the game like this, until a couple of rounds into the merge, she wakes up and realizes that Goomba, the eventual winner of the game, is in the "driver's seat". But instead of going after Goomba, Birdo targets her secret group (though to be fair, they voted for her too). This is a double boot round, so Birdo and her secret group member Toad are voted out.

One interesting thing is that according to Petey, Birdo helped suggest that Daisy get voted out. Even though Daisy was an inactive, her elimination took five idols out of the game so that's cool.

There's nothing wrong with Birdo's character. She had some good strategic thoughts and was a cute presence, but she wasn't that interesting as a character.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #1857 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Post by Snakes »

268 - MC Jagger (SleepyKrew) - Names Are Hard

This was SK's first game after Tingle, and he did...pretty good. He was a lot more competent here but a lot less entertaining. I never met him but from reading over his confessional and rereading the spectator forums, he was mostly just there.

The early game starts off pretty good for him. He makes a good impression in the PMless opening stage of the game and makes it onto Brode Island, where he becomes one of five other people who love Simba and Doge. He plans to be loyal to them, not realizing that they have alliances with half the tribe.

But towards the end of the tribe, HTTP approaches him and lets him know that Simba sold out his alliance. This sets up an exciting storyline where Jagger and HTTP make a secret alliance and Jagger considers turning on Simba.

This would have been fun to watch, but that storyline just fizzled out. Jagger and Simba get swapped onto the same tribe, Jagger sticks with Simba and then at the next swap, he gets voted out because people see him as too close to Simba.

Return to “Frogstar World B”