Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #825 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I don't understand why you would design champs that don't have to aim. It sucks :(
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #826 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Post by Accountant »

Let the symmetra hate flow through you
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #827 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Post by Accountant »

Sometimes I switch to sym even when it's strategically suboptimal because the salt gives my team a better advantage overall

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #828 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 825, DeathNote wrote:I don't understand why you would design champs that don't have to aim. It sucks :(

I find it interesting that you use the word "champs" to describe the characters of Overwatch, rather than using "heroes", which is the verbiage used for this game's characters. That seems to indicate to me that you come from a MOBA background, more so than an FPS one(though of course both are possible), which means you should KNOW why heroes exist which don't need to aim.

It's a matter of role fulfillment, in addition to making the game more accessible to a larger player base. Given the team nature of Overwatch, arguably the only role which should need consistent aim to fulfill their role is DPS. Supports and tanks are focused on big picture things, tactics, positioning, and resource management, not just fragging.

Basically, this is a silly complaint. If you want a team based game that's largely aim based, go play CS:GO. Overwatch fills a very different design space.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #829 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Post by DeathNote »

No. I don't enjoy playing a game that has champs that don't need to aim. I don't like playing symmetra or winston but I have been more so lately cause I'm not a good enough player to compete against them. I wish I was... I wish I could just kill the stupid symmetra that is jumping around me but instead, I get burned down and unable to hit her.

So I don't agree with champions like that. I think it's a stupid design.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #830 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Post by Accountant »

it's not a stupid design

you just need to get good

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #831 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Post by Accountant »

overwatch is a strategy game

Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #832 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Post by Clumsy »

It's all about counters. If Sym is giving you problems, pick a more mobile hero. Tracer can blink away, Pharah can jump jet, etc. Symmetra can't do anything against a Pharah. Or pick someone who can outduel her, like Mccree. Or Pharah. Just. Pick Pharah. Literally like trying to kill a ghost with a baseball bat.

If you're not playing DPS, stick with a buddy that can kill Symmetra if they focus you. Hard to stick to that Mercy long enough to kill her with a Hammer or a Hook in your face.

Also, I think it's important to have diversity in the types of damage being done. If I wanted 95% of the weapons to be automatic hit scan or rifle hitscan, there's CoD for that. I want grenades, and rockets, exploding mechs, granny's with sniper medicine, and edgelords with shotguns. It's part of the appeal for me. It keeps things interesting.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #833 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I'm just saying what sucks when you aren't good at the game.

In the mean time, I'm rolling in the winston/symmetra elo.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #834 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:28 am

Post by PokerFace »

I come from a background where aim is more important. Played alot of Unreal, Halo and COD back in the day and played it well. But over watch does not really stress aim as important, it stresses team work and positioning. If I did not have a background in tf2, I think I'd hate overwatch. Playing tf2 taught me those skills and probably made me less accurate since I have not needed to practice aim

If you want a "champion" that can aim and take care of sym and winston, I suggest you try mcree. I only use his flashbang when I can assure a kill or to defend myself. Flashbang then fan that hammer at their head and you can often kill sym and winston
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #835 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:48 am

Post by Clumsy »

Small nitpick, you want to fan the hammer at the biggest part of their body, FTH cannot headshot (could you imagine?)
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #836 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Hmm, I feel like fth used to be able to headshot. I didn't play mcree at all before he was nerfed, perhaps that's what I'm thinking of.

And yeah, the mcree advice is good if you're still working on your aim. Flashbank makes them a stationary target. Flashbang+4+round fth+melee=dead 200 health hero with minimum aim required. Alternatively, flashbang+headshot+body shot works too.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #837 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:11 am

Post by Clumsy »

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty bad a Mccree so I don't play him a lot. If I have to go offense I go Pharah or Soldier.

Also, the earlier you stun her with your flashbang the better. Sym damage ramps up over time while tethered, so keeping her at minimum damage longer is good for your health. Just be careful of her shield blocking the flash. If it's a 1v1 and you don't throw the flash into her shield, you should win every time. If she's jumping around you too much, just roll backwards for a better shot.

I feel bad for Winston. I really think he needs a small buff. His damage is a tickle, his shield is pitiful, and cooldown is super long.

The original reason his shield was nerfed (Used to be 1000, now is 600) is because he was being double picked in upper level play for 2 1000 hp barriers. Drop the first with both Winstons inside, doing 120 DPS (two Tesla Cannons doing 60 DPS each) 1000 damage absorbed, drop the other, 1000 more damage absorbed. Anything short of a Bastion couldn't break through that in time before they killed whoever they had jumped on.

With the hero limit now in the game (thank god), the reason for the nerf is gone. The 600 hp barrier is still around though. Poor mon- uh, scientist.

While I'm thinking about it, I really dislike the change to D.Va's health. Not for balance reasons, but rather her place in the tank line up. We have Reinhardt, medium amount of armor, but a big ass barrier. We have Zarya, the shield tank, both on her health (so it regens, making a good skirmish tank), and on abilities. We have Winston, the mobile
tickle monster
tank. Low armor, bubble shield, jumps all the time. We have Roadhog, with NO armor, but huge kill potential and his just a health tank. 600 HP, a 300 hp heal (on a fairly short CD). Then we have D.Va, the Armor tank. Most of her health pool is armor, making her strong against small arms (Sombra gun for example). D.Va was strong against those without burst, she was THE armor tank. But now she's just a medium armor tank, like Rein. I miss the high armor identity.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #838 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

That's not her identity though. She's an initiation tank, both through using her boost to dive straight to backlines with winston/flankers, and by using her defense matrix to absorb all the spam as her team follows to get those first picks. Having the extra armor didn't do anything to help her fill that role, it just made her skill floor lower.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #839 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 am

Post by Clumsy »

Identity was a bad word for me to use there: Let me try another way. Everyone has offensive signatures and defensive signatures, both active and passive. We don't really have the -armor- tank anymore.

It bothers me less on a balance/mechanical side and more of a variety kind of thing. Not a real complaint.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #840 (ISO) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:I come from a background where aim is more important. Played alot of Unreal, Halo and COD back in the day and played it well. But over watch does not really stress aim as important, it stresses team work and positioning. If I did not have a background in tf2, I think I'd hate overwatch. Playing tf2 taught me those skills and probably made me less accurate since I have not needed to practice aim

If you want a "champion" that can aim and take care of sym and winston, I suggest you try mcree. I only use his flashbang when I can assure a kill or to defend myself. Flashbang then fan that hammer or shoot at their head and you can often kill sym and winston
ftf me
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #841 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:44 am

Post by PokerFace »

Played alot of ptr last night as junkrat (So many people testing new bastion). I tested bastion too but often needed to blow up the enemy bastions or hook and cook them. I also played as the other tanks to see how they fair against new bastion. Bastion does better against tanks now and worse against squishies. New players will do better against him, tank meta will get hurt against him. Overall the changes feel fair though they may be more toward nerf than buff since there are more squishies than there are tanks. You want to track down and kill a squishy, use recon. Defend an area or beat a tank with a barrier, use sentry.

I also played a lot of ctf. I feel the best way to balance that game type in custom is to double the take/return time BUT make damage not interrupt it. This way it takes longer to grab the flag which means you have time to kill who is grabbing it, or time to knock them off it. The toucher now does not need a barrier to block for them as turrets do not immediately interrupt caps. Feels very fair. Means any character has chance at taking or defending a flag. No single character felt at an advantage against the other simply because of the flag game type. Also ties happened almost never as getting the flag was much more doable while scoring the flag was harder to do as you ultimately had less hp when you carried it as you just stood still for 5 seconds and probably got shot. Current CTF was hard to take and even harder to stop a capture, this felt balanced.

Other ways people tried to balance ctf included dropping the flag when you used abilities. If you have this setting on, the meta is Zarya, Hog, Lucio, sym, torb, Junk/bastion. Hog grabs flag. Heals and hook might make him drop it but as hook almost always kills, and heals keep you alive, hog is certain to get flag again. Zarya shields hog. Lucio speeds and heals the hunting party. Sym, torb, junk/bastion defend. The old ctf meta had a meta two it. This new meta has one. Both metas ultimately 2 tanks and a healer on offense with turret and trap defense. Game is not different enough to solve the true problem which is eliminating stalemates. Requiring your flag to be back to score has same result of no meta change, unfair character balance. And that one increases number of ties, and no one wants that
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #842 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:45 am

Post by vonflare »

dear god

THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #843 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Downloading this as we speak.

Animorph#1214. May get to play today, but may not and will probably just do tutorial stuff.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #844 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 am

Post by Accountant »

what goes through the mind of someone who picks a trash hero, does poorly and doesn't switch?

Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #845 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

" I'm never going to get better if I don't keep practicing this hero and always switch off them."
"Practicing in comp is more important than winning. If I practice in QP it doesn't count because nobody is really trying there"
"I really like this hero."

Those are probably the most common thoughts. Not that I agree with them in terms of being good reasons for bad decisions, but they're understandable, human, not stupid thoughts to have. Just indicates that the individual prioritizes their individual enjoyment/skill at a hero over getting wins.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #846 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:27 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

its frustrating when you constantly have to solo tank/heal because only two people on your team are willing to change their hero to the teams needs, but now that I'm a bit higher it is starting to happen less.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #847 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:31 am

Post by Accountant »

I'm not the time to blame others when we lose but when I'm rein and my team is zen, sombra, hanzo, genji, tracer I have to wonder

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #848 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 am

Post by Accountant »

I'm undecided if i'm more pissed at the people who have english names and dont' communicate or the people who have foreign names and dont communicate

Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #849 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:48 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

In post 847, Accountant wrote:I'm not the time to blame others when we lose but when I'm rein and my team is zen, sombra, hanzo, genji, tracer I have to wonder
if it works its fine, but when im rein with that sort of comp and have gold elims and damage it is an issue
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Return to “The Arcade”