Song Contest 103 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 am

Post by kraska77 »

In post 96, Parama wrote:can SC104 be the "metal covers of britney spears" song contest?
I'm down
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

Post by Song Contest »

Entries are posted!
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:19 am

Post by Errantparabola »

would i be allowed to share some of my emotions about my song or nah?
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:21 am

Post by Song Contest »

What, you mean reveal which song is yours? There's nothing in the rules about that. We'll make you pick a country, but it's up to you if you want to say which country/song is yours.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 am

Post by Parama »

Amorphis, nice
TDEP, hmm
Smells Like Teen Spirit, no
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 104, Parama wrote:Amorphis, nice
TDEP, hmm
Smells Like Teen Spirit, no
Stop reading my mind.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 am

Post by Parama »

I'm just gonna ignore nirvana like I ignored swans last round but for a different reason
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

OK. Doing what I usually do.

The following songs I'll keep and advance into my next round of judging!

Spain - !!! - Bend Over Beethoven
Syria - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Ecuador - The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight
Canada - Krystian Zimerman - Chopin Ballade No. 4
Fiji - Risa Taneda - Wareta Ringo
Philippines - Gallant, Tablo, and Eric Nam - Cave Me In
Hungary - Etherwood - Cast Away
Chad - Halsey - Gasoline
Finland - Seventeen - Adore U
Cote d'Ivoire - Poe - Not A Virgin
Liechtenstein - King Missile - Detachable Penis
Thailand - Khun Narin - Lam Phu Thai
Iceland - Thy Catafalque - 10^(-20) Ångström
Republic of Kugelmugel - Freddie Gibbs - Careless

I will come up some day soon and bring myself to my final ten! :D

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 am

Post by Parama »

I made the final cut
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 am

Post by ConManMick »

Alas, poor Yarrick,cut down in his prime X_X
"As everyone knows there is a special guardian angel for drunkards and lovers"
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 107, KuroiXHF wrote:OK. Doing what I usually do.

The following songs I'll keep and advance into my next round of judging!

Spain - !!! - Bend Over Beethoven
Syria - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Ecuador - The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight
Canada - Krystian Zimerman - Chopin Ballade No. 4
Fiji - Risa Taneda - Wareta Ringo
Hungary - Etherwood - Cast Away
Chad - Halsey - Gasoline
Finland - Seventeen - Adore U
Cote d'Ivoire - Poe - Not A Virgin
Liechtenstein - King Missile - Detachable Penis
Iceland - Thy Catafalque - 10^(-20) Ångström
Republic of Kugelmugel - Freddie Gibbs - Careless

I will come up some day soon and bring myself to my final ten! :D
That some day is today! Cutting four! These are the four I'll have to bid adieu:

Syria - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts (Although SO close for getting into my top ten.)
Finland - Seventeen - Adore U (I'm an asshole when it comes to judging, so the U instead of You was already a shoe in for me not wanting it to succeed.

EDIT:
NOW
Parama has made my final cut.

Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

I'm fuckin tweaking I was bouta submit Freddie Gibbs lol
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by Parama »

bby u knew in ur heart that u could never cut me
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Post by The Bulge »

In post 111, Zachstralkita wrote:I'm fuckin tweaking I was bouta submit Freddie Gibbs lol
Boii :lol:
I wanted to submit something from Pinata but i couldnt decide in time and this was my default fallback
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Spoiler: thoughts about my song, the ballade. maybe don't open if you haven't listened? idk
I don't expect a lot of people to like this. As far as classical music goes, it could seem not grand enough, like it drags on, or any number of complaints other people might have.

However, this is, in my opinion, the cornerstone of Chopin and of the romantic period, without a doubt. It's incredibly rich in every way, it takes it time, it knows what's up. I've never listened to a more emotionally impactful song, and Zimerman's interpretation is the best of the best. Playing the Ballades is a difficult task-- the range of emotions that each one encompasses is intricate and very open. The 4 pieces have been described as "programmatic" - that is, to tell a story - but Chopin would probably have disliked that description. The story is in the performance, not outside of it, in a name or tale ascribed to the piece. Each piece is a world, but it's one unique to the performer, and the difficulty lies in trying to find that for yourself.

The 4th Ballade starts off with a plot twist. It first appears that the left hand carries the melody, but it then surprise-- the right hand's soft repeated octaves were carrying the melody the whole time. I always take small pleasure in that when I listen to the piece.

The first, and main, theme is a famous one, and interesting in that it takes quite a long time to resolve. Two repeated sets of 5 notes, and then a slow, deliberate path to the key note. It's always a wonderful feeling listening to that theme. The counterpoint in this piece is also more complex than perhaps any of Chopin's other works, and it's almost ethereal in its most implemented moments.

This piece was written in 1842-43, and Chopin's health took a sharp turn for the worse during those years. He would struggle with illness for 6 more years until his death. Sometimes I wonder if, at the time of the writing of this piece, Chopin knew his days were numbered.

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

Lmao i was thinking of 2 tracks from Pinata
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 114, Errantparabola wrote:
Spoiler: thoughts about my song, the ballade. maybe don't open if you haven't listened? idk
I don't expect a lot of people to like this. As far as classical music goes, it could seem not grand enough, like it drags on, or any number of complaints other people might have.

However, this is, in my opinion, the cornerstone of Chopin and of the romantic period, without a doubt. It's incredibly rich in every way, it takes it time, it knows what's up. I've never listened to a more emotionally impactful song, and Zimerman's interpretation is the best of the best. Playing the Ballades is a difficult task-- the range of emotions that each one encompasses is intricate and very open. The 4 pieces have been described as "programmatic" - that is, to tell a story - but Chopin would probably have disliked that description. The story is in the performance, not outside of it, in a name or tale ascribed to the piece. Each piece is a world, but it's one unique to the performer, and the difficulty lies in trying to find that for yourself.

The 4th Ballade starts off with a plot twist. It first appears that the left hand carries the melody, but it then surprise-- the right hand's soft repeated octaves were carrying the melody the whole time. I always take small pleasure in that when I listen to the piece.

The first, and main, theme is a famous one, and interesting in that it takes quite a long time to resolve. Two repeated sets of 5 notes, and then a slow, deliberate path to the key note. It's always a wonderful feeling listening to that theme. The counterpoint in this piece is also more complex than perhaps any of Chopin's other works, and it's almost ethereal in its most implemented moments.

This piece was written in 1842-43, and Chopin's health took a sharp turn for the worse during those years. He would struggle with illness for 6 more years until his death. Sometimes I wonder if, at the time of the writing of this piece, Chopin knew his days were numbered.
Are you the one consistently putting in the classical music? Kudos if you have.

I feel like a lot of people are going to just throw away the classical music because you're not going to find a multitude of women showing off their breastsicles and it's not generally as catchy as today's music, but I love a lot of it. I also have respect for the skill and complexity of the music.

But you're right. This song in particular wasn't so much for me. I'd be happier with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

No. This is the only classical piece I've entered.

--implosion
provided
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 112, Parama wrote:bby u knew in ur heart that u could never cut me
I don't quite remember, but I think you said that last contest was the first one I didn't cut you. :)

Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Post by Apricity »

In post 116, KuroiXHF wrote:

I feel like a lot of people are going to just throw away the classical music because you're not going to find a multitude of women showing off their breastsicles and it's not generally as catchy as today's music, but I love a lot of it. I also have respect for the skill and complexity of the music.

But you're right. This song in particular wasn't so much for me. I'd be happier with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.
I submitted classical a few contests ago...La Campanella and the Weiniawski violin concerto were both my entries.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 119, Apricity wrote:
In post 116, KuroiXHF wrote:

I submitted classical a few contests ago...La Campanella and the Weiniawski violin concerto were both my entries.
Ah, I see.

Anyway, I'm glad people aren't ignoring classical music.

Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Syria- The Dillinger Escape Plan- Mouth of Ghosts- I’ve always felt like I was missing something everyone else was seeing with this band, this song made me understand.

Ecuador- The Decemberists- This Is Why We Fight- Great band, awesome song, one of my favorites from them.

Canada- Krystian Zimerman- Chopin Ballade No. 4- beautiful piece of music, but I’ve always loved classical music. I think it stems back to a video game I used to play on the computer that had a classical score to it.

Central African Republic- The Kinks- Shangri-La- Was this submitted by the same person who did Dire Straits last time? This is cool. It’s like multiple songs within one larger song. It’s cool to see the progression of the song too.

The Federated States of Micronesia- Cold War Kids- Hospital Beds- I’m a sucker for a good piano, and these guys do it great. I love the raw feel to the music and the power behind the lyrics.

Philippines- Gallant, Talbo, and Eric Nam- Cave Me In- Now this is good, the kind of unknown shit you listen to before they hit it big and then you can say you knew it back when. That is a voice. Both singers are good actually. Not a fan of the rapper.

Hungary- Etherwood- Cast Away- I loved this. From start to finish I was engrossed. The simplicity of the piano, mixed with the energy of the drum and bass. The ebb and flow of the tempo and the volume allowed room for each part to take center stage. Cool picture too.

Chad- Hasley- Gasoline- I dug the shit out of this song. Her cadence draws you in and then hits you with the rawness to her lyrics. I like a random cuss word thrown into music, I feel it’s more realistic to how we speak.

Uruguay- The Rural Alberta Advantage- Don’t Haunt This Place- I can imagine this being recorded in someones dining room on an antiquated piece of equipment that involves microfiche or some shit. I enjoyed that sound and this song.

King Missile- Detachable Penis- I love this song, and would be interested to find out about its inception. Listen to more of these guys, like “Jesus Was Way Cool,” beware of the weird shit though.

Republic of Kugelmugel- Freddie Gibbs- Careless- I liked this, would seek out more.

My top 10 in no order at all.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 pm

Post by kraska77 »

*cloud of cyanide descends on thread*
I appreciate the many songs with odd time signatures
Thailand gets my 12
Wow...that kpop boyband video is so cringe-inducing I just died
Still trying to decide if I love Syria's entry or not, beginning was so great but then it took a generic turn
Burkina Faso, CAR and Iceland are all great.
Uruguay too. Maybe.
Yeah that's all. I clicked random countries on the voting ballot starting 4 points bc I didn't like anything else
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:23 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 122, kraska77 wrote:I licked random countries on the voting ballot
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:43 am

Post by kraska77 »

stop

Return to “General Discussion”