LexTrew
LexTrew
Goon
LexTrew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:43 am

Post by LexTrew »

In post 106, RadiantCowbells wrote:Uh, my vote isn't RVS at all thanks.

Stop dodging questions and help me read you.

In post 113, catboi wrote:
In post 96, LexTrew wrote:Shinobi strikes me as town. His frustation seems genuine and I can certainly understand it.

Lol, how? If anything, the fact that he got frustrated with an unerexplained page 1 vote makes him more likely to be scum.

Uh not really, I have seen town get frustated more often than scum. Besides it just looked like he was trying to move the game foward. But I dont like his posts in page 5 at all actually, that unvote is really scummy.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Spiffeh »

@catboi I interpreted the Shinobi 'incident' as him trying to get the ball rolling by asking what "scum line" meant, you avoiding the question for whatever reason, him pressing you some more with a vote, and you saying SHINOBI is the one overreacting? Am I wrong in the progression here?

Because from what I read you look worse off in that exchange.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 am

Post by Shinobi »

In post 125, LexTrew wrote:

In post 96, LexTrew wrote:Shinobi strikes me as town. His frustation seems genuine and I can certainly understand it.

Lol, how? If anything, the fact that he got frustrated with an unerexplained page 1 vote makes him more likely to be scum.

Uh not really, I have seen town get frustated more often than scum. Besides it just looked like he was trying to move the game foward. But I dont like his posts in page 5 at all actually, that unvote is really scummy.

How so?
Kyubey The Kid
Kyubey The Kid
Goon
Kyubey The Kid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 am

Post by Kyubey The Kid »

In post 76, Kyubey The Kid wrote:While I'm not saying Catboi is 100% scum, the fact that he's been the one getting people reactive isn't very pro-town. Spreading confusion and distrust is something that would only be advantageous for scum. Of course, maybe thats just how he plays and we really shouldn't be looking too deep into it, but it certainly looks shady.

You seem misguided. Getting people to react to things is the best way to evaluate them, to try to get a genuine response. Otherwise, in the early game, you have essentially nothing to go on.

That said, how does "getting people reactive" equate to "spreading confusion and distrust"? What does the latter even mean? I don't really know what you're trying to say by this. (I'd argue that confusion and distrust is the default state of the game, but that feels like an unnecessary tangent.[/quote]

Well yeah, but the way you went about it seemed more like you were having fun messing with Shinobi instead trying to clear up whatever confusion he had. It would be really convenient for scum to have people even more confused/distrusting than they'd already be at the start of the game. Of course, like I've been emphasizing all game, it would be stupid of me to take any assumptions I currently have and buy into them without letting the game play out more. It's not that I think that you're scum, it's that out of the banter we've all had going, yours sticked out the most to me as "slightly suspicious". Though the fact that you're calling for Shinobi to be lynched without much proof isn't helping your case. Can you explain your reasoning more deeply?
Scorpious
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 am

Post by Scorpious »

Also, scorp's last post is bad. He should make less bad posts like that one.

what would you rather me say,would you rather me post nothing at all? Damn you for making me phone post..
"Would you like to know more?"

I am like a renaissance artist. People appreciate me more after I am dead

Semi-V/LA on weekends..

People always fear what they don't understand
Scorpious
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 am

Post by Scorpious »

Ebwop- quote is from catboi..
"Would you like to know more?"

I am like a renaissance artist. People appreciate me more after I am dead

Semi-V/LA on weekends..

People always fear what they don't understand
LexTrew
LexTrew
Goon
LexTrew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 am

Post by LexTrew »

In post 127, Shinobi wrote:

How so?

Well, are you scum reading catboi or not?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:55 am

Post by Shinobi »

In post 131, LexTrew wrote:
In post 127, Shinobi wrote:

How so?

Well, are you scum reading catboi or not?

At this point I feel like his lunacy is more likely to come from town than scum, but I'm still not entirely sure because I'm biased against people who try really hard to get their lynches. I have reason to think less of other players than him.
It's clear that me voting him is accomplishing nothing and I feel like I'm wasting it there, so I'm moving my vote elsewhere.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:59 am

Post by catboi »

In post 124, Shinobi wrote:I tried to get an opinion out of you that was anything other than "you're scum because 'reasons.'"
Interacting with you on pretty much any level aside from having you fling scum in my face for every little thing is clearly a waste of time.

If you have any actual questions that aren't meaningless/based on semantics, let me know.

Nah, at this point I'm not expecting a real answer from you, because you're not town. You're made that pretty clear by refusing to answer simple questions and using absolutely terrible reasoning. Just need to help other people see what's obvious to me.
In post 125, LexTrew wrote:Uh not really, I have seen town get frustated more often than scum. Besides it just looked like he was trying to move the game foward. But I dont like his posts in page 5 at all actually, that unvote is really scummy.
Free of context, sure, town get frustrated. Flipping out because someone won't explain a vote on page 2 makes absolutely no sense from a town perspective nor really does any of his targeting of "uselessness" which is an absurd tell to be breaking out within, say, the first 8-9 pages of a game.

In post 126, Spiffeh wrote:@catboi I interpreted the Shinobi 'incident' as him trying to get the ball rolling by asking what "scum line" meant, you avoiding the question for whatever reason, him pressing you some more with a vote, and you saying SHINOBI is the one overreacting? Am I wrong in the progression here?

Because from what I read you look worse off in that exchange.
I avoided the question because I'm under no obligation to explain an RVS vote, especially given not explaining leads to a better reaction than outing half-formed/gut reasoning (which is what you're going to get on page 1/2). And yes, flipping out and voting someone because they won't explain a vote on you, then calling them useless, is decidedly an overreaction. I don't think most town players have such a defensive reaction to a couple early votes. You maybe ought to re-read if you haven't seen that.

Scorpious wrote:
what would you rather me say,would you rather me post nothing at all? Damn you for making me phone post..
Ehh, possibly? It was a weird no content nothing post, if you see someone voting you then address it, just bringing it up is useless.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 am

Post by Shinobi »

Of course you're not.
:D
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Shinobi »

Actually, if I'm not town for not answering simple questions, what does that make RC?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Shinobi »

He might have answered this already but I kind of made that post as a knee-jerk thing.
Oh wells.
I'll look real quick.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:08 am

Post by Shinobi »

Ehhhhh I don't think he did.
I see him talking about RC a little bit but it's about something else.
Kyubey The Kid
Kyubey The Kid
Goon
Kyubey The Kid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 am

Post by Kyubey The Kid »

In post 120, Spiffeh wrote: I am satisfied by this response for now, but why would my reaction to your press deter you?

VOTE: RadiantCowbells

Because if I were trying to set up Catboi as an easy bandwagon later on, then grilling him would be the next logical progression. It would be counter productive to focus on someone only to have it make me look guilty and, by default, him innocent.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 128, Kyubey The Kid wrote:Well yeah, but the way you went about it seemed more like you were having fun messing with Shinobi instead trying to clear up whatever confusion he had. It would be really convenient for scum to have people even more confused/distrusting than they'd already be at the start of the game. Of course, like I've been emphasizing all game, it would be stupid of me to take any assumptions I currently have and buy into them without letting the game play out more. It's not that I think that you're scum, it's that out of the banter we've all had going, yours sticked out the most to me as "slightly suspicious". Though the fact that you're calling for Shinobi to be lynched without much proof isn't helping your case. Can you explain your reasoning more deeply?

I have plenty, if you can't see it, that's largely your fault. If you don't think a continued refusal to answer questions or engage in meaningful dialogue with regards to his reasoning (when he voted me for similar reasons) is scummy, you're not paying attention. Your concerns strike me as largely nonsensical, my job isn't to alleviate his or anyone else's confusion, it's to determine who is scum. I was provocative, I'll admit - but it was with the purpose of trying to suss out his alignment and generate content, not just to aggravate him.

And yeah, more than willing to try to sum things up here in a case so that people understand it. Less than impressed with some of the votes flying around.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 139, catboi wrote:
In post 128, Kyubey The Kid wrote:Well yeah, but the way you went about it seemed more like you were having fun messing with Shinobi instead trying to clear up whatever confusion he had. It would be really convenient for scum to have people even more confused/distrusting than they'd already be at the start of the game. Of course, like I've been emphasizing all game, it would be stupid of me to take any assumptions I currently have and buy into them without letting the game play out more. It's not that I think that you're scum, it's that out of the banter we've all had going, yours sticked out the most to me as "slightly suspicious". Though the fact that you're calling for Shinobi to be lynched without much proof isn't helping your case. Can you explain your reasoning more deeply?

I have plenty, if you can't see it, that's largely your fault. If you don't think a continued refusal to answer questions or engage in meaningful dialogue with regards to his reasoning (when he voted me for similar reasons) is scummy, you're not paying attention. Your concerns strike me as largely nonsensical, my job isn't to alleviate his or anyone else's confusion,
it's to determine who is scum.
I was provocative, I'll admit - but it was with the purpose of trying to suss out his alignment and generate content, not just to aggravate him.

And yeah, more than willing to try to sum things up here in a case so that people understand it. Less than impressed with some of the votes flying around.

No it isn't.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by Shinobi »

And what was so bad about my reads on Spiffeh and vijay?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Post by catboi »

"The purpose of town is not to determine who is scum" - mafiascum user Shinobi, August 29, 2015

The reads were tossed off, lousy, weak, slapshod, and done with extremely tenuous reasoning, much like everything else you've posted. "I like the way both of you are thinking about the game" is fairly meaningless (how? about what?), and being "more interested in moving things forward/scumhunting than sitting around and doing nothing." is both vague and worthless, equating activity, essentially, with being a town-tell (it isn't, scum are going to want just as much as town to move things forward). It's a spectacularly lousy reason to think anyone's town.

In post 135, Shinobi wrote:Actually, if I'm not town for not answering simple questions, what does that make RC?

Somehow didn't parse that this was @ me, right now null, leans toward town slightly. Not really hard for me to understand the way he's playing at all, I suspect we think similarly. Of course, easy to fake the way he's played so far, but I'd expect that to reveal itself as time goes on. He's all about lynching you, which is points in his favor.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 142, catboi wrote:"The purpose of town is not to determine who is scum" - mafiascum user Shinobi, August 29, 2015

Finding scum is only 50% of the game.
The other half is convincing people you're right.
I get the point you're making but, really, come on.

The reads were tossed off, lousy, weak, slapshod, and done with extremely tenuous reasoning, much like everything else you've posted.

Not really.
Let me reiterate this to you a third time:
You were spending time in the thread with an unexplained scumread and you were more content to make snide jabs at people than move the game in any significant direction. It is incredibly basic stuff. I found you to be the scummiest person in the thread at that particular moment and voted you for it.

If you don't feel the need to explain an RVS vote, then how should I ever read you if you won't bother explaining things? Your whole bit about reactions is essentially moot because you have no understanding of my range as either alignment - you're just saying it's scummy because "town wouldn't react that way, only scum would" when you aren't providing examples of me doing either or how it's out of the blue and scummy.

The thing you're saying only applies if you have meta to back it up, which you simply don't have.

Let's break this down:
Shinobi is overreacting to an unexplained vote. <----How and why is this scummy?
Shinobi voted me because he thinks I am useless. <----How is this inconsistent with your earlier posting and how can I only be mafia for thinking it?

I might have overlooked some bits, but those seem to make up the main crux of your case, which isn't really that strong on its own.

"I like the way both of you are thinking about the game" is fairly meaningless (how? about what?), and being "more interested in moving things forward/scumhunting than sitting around and doing nothing." is both vague and worthless, equating activity, essentially, with being a town-tell (it isn't, scum are going to want just as much as town to move things forward). It's a spectacularly lousy reason to think anyone's town.

No, it's not.
Activity and productivity are far more likely to point to townies than scum. Sure, there are
exceptions
, but as far as early game reads go, I think it's a spectacular reason to trust someone rather than someone who boldfacedly does nothing.

Why on earth would you
ever
think nothing/less of people who do stuff? That doesn't really sound like a good idea, tbh.

And as for being "fairly meaningless," there were two bits that I liked about both of them:
vijay's whole line of reasoning seems to be based on prodding Scorpius to do something, which I was already thinking before he actually posted it.
Spiffeh's whole bit on Kyubei refusing to give examples and positioning himself oddly on the whole "you" wagon was spot-on and insightful, and I liked his line of thinking.

In post 135, Shinobi wrote:Actually, if I'm not town for not answering simple questions, what does that make RC?

Somehow didn't parse that this was @ me, right now null, leans toward town slightly. Not really hard for me to understand the way he's playing at all, I suspect we think similarly. Of course, easy to fake the way he's played so far, but I'd expect that to reveal itself as time goes on. He's all about lynching you, which is points in his favor.

Unflipped associatives are bad because, the reality of it is,
Assuming that I'm town, what then?
And what's so easy to understand about his play? I don't really understand it at all - I see an unexplained scumread and a guy that doesn't care about what's going on. What's so towny about that?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by Shinobi »

I cut off the last bit about unflipped associatives.
What I meant to say was that they're bad because you really don't know why he's supporting your wagon, nor do you know if your scumread is correct. Townreading someone for voting someone you want to vote is weak.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Shinobi »

Something that I realized was bugging me that I overlooked:

In post 94, JeanDarc wrote:@everyone
Random/Optional question to answer:
What is your overall experience with Mafia games (in/out of this site)? What is your favourite thing about Mafia (and why)?

What were you intending to accomplish with these questions?
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Post by Shinobi »

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Jean
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Finding scum is only 50% of the game.
The other half is convincing people you're right.
I get the point you're making but, really, come on.

then why even bring this up, unless you're just trying to be a tool?

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Not really.
Let me reiterate this to you a third time:
You were spending time in the thread with an unexplained scumread and you were more content to make snide jabs at people than move the game in any significant direction. It is incredibly basic stuff. I found you to be the scummiest person in the thread at that particular moment and voted you for it.

If you don't feel the need to explain an RVS vote, then how should I ever read you if you won't bother explaining things? Your whole bit about reactions is essentially moot because you have no understanding of my range as either alignment - you're just saying it's scummy because "town wouldn't react that way, only scum would" when you aren't providing examples of me doing either or how it's out of the blue and scummy.

The thing you're saying only applies if you have meta to back it up, which you simply don't have.

Let's break this down:
Shinobi is overreacting to an unexplained vote. <----How and why is this scummy?
Shinobi voted me because he thinks I am useless. <----How is this inconsistent with your earlier posting and how can I only be mafia for thinking it?

I might have overlooked some bits, but those seem to make up the main crux of your case, which isn't really that strong on its own.

This is crap. Apparently accoring to you, all reads are worthless without meta or something? Fact is almost nothing you've done has seemed sincere or borne out of honest scumhunting, and a lot of comes off as exceedingly fake reasoning that doesn't really make sense.

Here's the deal: When I drop a vote like that early in the game, someone can brush it off, or they can do what you did and take it seriously. You didn't need to, but you did, and that in and of itself implies at least some level of nervousness that I've caught on to something. It's not a definitive tell or anything, but it's something I decided to push on, and your reactions have buried you, especially when you decided to vote me for decidedly crap reasoning that was quickly made invalid.

I find the notion that any player could be determined to be "useless"
on freaking page 2 of a game
absolutely ludicrous, the fact is by that point there's barely anything to go on, to think that I stood out in some way in that regard is ludicrous. That's not to mention the fact that no, I had a gut scum read on you and was advancing it at that very moment. Your reasoning was at most tinly-veiled OMGUS. Now, OMGUS voting isn't inherently a scumtell, I think town players do it a lot but the manner in which you tried to advance the vote was weak as hell. If you'd looked like frustrated town who think they're being pushed on a bad case I'd have bought it, but you didn't - you looked like scum trying to attack the people voting you.

The fact that you're trying to ask me these questions that drill down into my reasoning when you were so unwilling to answer them yourself is terrible, also.

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:No, it's not.
Activity and productivity are far more likely to point to townies than scum. Sure, there are exceptions, but as far as early game reads go, I think it's a spectacular reason to trust someone rather than someone who boldfacedly does nothing.

Why on earth would you ever think nothing/less of people who do stuff? That doesn't really sound like a good idea, tbh.

And as for being "fairly meaningless," there were two bits that I liked about both of them:
vijay's whole line of reasoning seems to be based on prodding Scorpius to do something, which I was already thinking before he actually posted it.
Spiffeh's whole bit on Kyubei refusing to give examples and positioning himself oddly on the whole "you" wagon was spot-on and insightful, and I liked his line of thinking.
This is 100% ludicrous dog crap. Suggesting activity is indicative of alignment early in the game is complete nonsense. It's indicative of nothing. Someone simply
doing things
doesn't make them town, and to suggest so is either lazy or idiotic. I lean toward it being scum lazily handing off reads for people who don't deserve them, because as scum you see towniness in everything, even when it's not really there. vijay pressuring scorp because he's not voting anyone is actually fairly weak, anyone can press on that sort of junk
because it's not really a tell

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Unflipped associatives are bad because, the reality of it is,
Assuming that I'm town, what then?
And what's so easy to understand about his play? I don't really understand it at all - I see an unexplained scumread and a guy that doesn't care about what's going on. What's so towny about that?

Wasn't making associations at all - I just like the fact he's read you the exact same way I have, implying a similar line of thinking. I wouldn't expect you to be able to understand it.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Post by catboi »

sad thing is I expect no one's going to read that post given the playerlist

In post 146, Shinobi wrote:UNVOTE:

good lord lynch this
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 148, catboi wrote:sad thing is I expect no one's going to read that post given the playerlist

In post 146, Shinobi wrote:UNVOTE:

good lord lynch this

I just explained this read.
How is this not genuine scumhunting and what reads as "genuine" to you?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”