Newbie 1694 (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1350 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:45 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Yeah with almost and me focused on each other it would have been very hard to lynch BBT. I think day 3 being cut short was very bad for us.
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1351 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 am

Post by Shadow Dancer »

Certainly not if you do not even try...
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1352 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:55 am

Post by chilledtea »

It was with much effort that I came to the realization that MC is town. Coming to the conclusion that almost is town or BBT is scum would have been ridiculously difficult. I am getting the feeling that the informed doesn't understand the uninformed here. How can someone say almost's actions were town when they were blatantly anti-town?

It's difficult, BBT played well that's all I can say. I am not saying it would have been impossible to lynch BBT with his play but on day 4 I could not see him being scum when others did so much more than him. His insta vote on MC, and some other things that he did during day 3 and 4 made me suspicious of him but almost vs MC felt real and the way almost parked his vote on MC was just scummy.

I don't see myself going for BBT on day 4 with the options I had. Also, a town game is not a one person game, even if sometimes it might look like it maybe possible for one person to catch all scum, but others co-operating is very important. I felt that is the reason why so many games end in LYLO/MYLO in favour of scum on MS.
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1353 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:20 am

Post by Shadow Dancer »

Being town is almost never easy.

I may be biased due to lacking a proper town perspective on this game, but again, anti-town and scummy are two different things.
And Toffee did play solid enough that I trusted him to drive this home, but certainly far from flawless. One of the main reasons why I actually went full throttle with the bussing on day 2 was that at that point multiple people had picked up on various legitimately scummy things he had done by that point.

All I am suggesting is a change in attitude. Stop saying the game was unwinnable or that scum deserved the win so much more and that you could have never figured it out or convinced any one. Stop making excuses for the bad outcome and instead see the challenge of anylsing how it could have been averted.
You are also greatly underestimating your power. You were confirmed town on top of that. Without your support, no lynch could have even happened, neither on town nor on scum. In theory you could have shoved anything down town's throat with sheer brute force.
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1354 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:21 am

Post by Shadow Dancer »

anylsing = analysing...
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1355 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:28 am

Post by chilledtea »

That's a great compliment but what I am saying is that with my experience there was no way I could have differentiated between scum almost and anti-town almost. Maybe it would have been difficult for me to differentiate between scum MC and scummy town MC some months back. So I might improve but in this case I can't see it. It wasn't unwinnable but I doubt anyone would have gone for BBT in my place that's all. Like it takes a lot of overthinking to think BBT is scum and that sort of overthinking sometimes leads to bad town play.

Like I would have been really happy if I actually knew what I could have done different. I can't see myself not scum reading almost for hammering laser and scum reading me next.
Ghostwheel
Ghostwheel
Goon
Ghostwheel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1356 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:42 am

Post by Ghostwheel »

In post 1355, chilledtea wrote:there was no way I could have differentiated between scum almost and anti-town almost.

This was why I got frustrated at his play from day 1 lol. When you play in a way that makes you difficult to read as scum (And let's face it, Almost could have been scum this game and had the meta to back up every one of his actions), you make it difficult for me to ever trust you.
shaddowez
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
shaddowez
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1357 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Post by shaddowez »

V/LA on Weekends
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1358 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Post by Shadow Dancer »

I don't think Almost has the kind of meta which is wilfully tweaked to mask his scum play. He seemed to really believe in the things he said.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1359 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Post by chilledtea »

If you were to disregard the result this game was fun and also taught some valuable lessons to the town.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1360 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Post by chilledtea »

Shadow, I would like to know why we don't ever no lynch on day 1. If day 1 almost always results in town lynches, isn't it better no lynch? You get ample information with night kills as well.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1361 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Post by chilledtea »

Also, I am not saying that we should always no lynch on day 1. But if the town is finding it difficult to get a lynch target consensus, it often the case that they compromise on a lynch. A no lynch is never though of.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1362 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

Because a no lynch usually puts town on even numbers and usually results in a free kill for scum.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1363 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Plus, there are plenty of games where scum actually do get lynched on D1. It's not as fruitless as some people try to make it out to be.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1364 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Post by chilledtea »

Scum get plenty of free kills with the mislynches though.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1365 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 pm

If we lynch each day, scum can kill on N1 and N2.

If we no lynch, scum can kill on N1, N2 and N3.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1366 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Post by chilledtea »

Is it impossible for a no lynch to help us in getting better reads or zeroing on scum?
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1367 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Not really because then you're relying on PRs to play optimally and that doesn't always happen either.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1368 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Post by chilledtea »

What about night kill analysis?
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1369 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Also, PRs can make more informed choices after a D1. Without a D1, you're relying on pure luck.

How could you use NK analysis?
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1370 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Post by chilledtea »

Pretty sure that random numbers sometimes give you better results than informed choice. D1 will still exist, its just that a no lynch might be considered as a solution when people cannot properly reach a consensus to whom to lynch.
I feel the strict adherence to "we must lynch" might have created this situation where you reach the mylo/lylo too quickly.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1371 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:07 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

I think having replace flip in a lynch provides more info than another night kill.

And shadow, I have learned my lesson the hard way. At least I feel a bit better about my play knowing BBT actually was scum.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1372 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:08 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

^ in response to one of the dead thread comments.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1373 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:23 am

Haha MC, I'm not sure how valid your reasons were for scum reading me mind :P
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1374 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:31 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Maybe, I don't know I definitely wasn't defending shadow though. I legitimately thought you were scum totally seperate from my feelings about shadow. I just also thought that there was only one scum between you. But there were some things about madonnas slot that put me off and there was something off about your catch up posts. I wouldn't have tried to lynch you so hard unless I really thought you were scum.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”