Mini 1699 - #swag wars: THE empire strikes back (swaggedout)

RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1575 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:46 am

Post by RedCoyote »

SS 1573 wrote:looking for validation is extremely common. 80% of people intuitively want to follow the lead of others, regardless of if they have opinions.

Of course. I'm not disputing that that's part of the human condition. We're not getting into a psychological debate here over the tendencies toward approval.

My contention is that notscience hasn't led his own fights. Hasn't stood up for his ideas. Hasn't shown me that townie, individualistic spirit ... as it relates to the confines of our specific game of Mafia.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1576 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

psychological principles apply everywhere. unless you can prove that its not fitting of NS's personality it means nothing
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1577 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

like, even in this very game, NS stuck to me for a while because of a lack of direction. the thing that would worry me is a lack of conviction, not a lack of initiative.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1578 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:05 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

In post 1574, fferyllt wrote:
In post 1572, Soft-spoken wrote:
In post 1557, fferyllt wrote:Soft-spoken:

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... er_sort=Go

Wicked's most recent game as mafia. I don't have time to read the game in depth right now. Looking at the iso, some things stand out to me as different from this game. I'm curious if you see them too. I'm going to wait until you reply before I expound.

so far ive noticed he asked questions more frequent, was marginally more defensive, and posted less often in that game. not sure if any of that means anything. about to dig into my "gameview keywords" method.

I think I'm also seeing there is less follow-up, more softballs/shallower pushes, slightly more content that isn't directly related to the game. All of that goes in my "tone" bin.

i didnt see any of that...
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1579 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:08 am

Post by fferyllt »

Am I wrong? I thought it was a subtle difference.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1580 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:32 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 1576, Soft-spoken wrote:psychological principles apply everywhere. unless you can prove that its not fitting of NS's personality it means nothing

I disagree. I mean, I agree, technically, but then there is no thing as scumhunting. I think you're looking at the game through way too broad a lens. Everything could be explained away by saying, "well, psychologically, people do X anyway, so it's null".

But if you're going to get meta, then yes, I have played with notscience on two previous occasions where he has tunnelled - I'm talking hard tunnelled over multiple days, in word and deed (read: vote), not seeking for or caring about validation like he is here - and he flipped town both times.
Vinkah
Vinkah
Goon
Vinkah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1581 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:39 am

Post by Vinkah »

what do you make of #1528 and the conversation ns and I had leading up to that. i really get where you're coming from in terms of thought, rc, but self meta?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1582 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:46 am

Post by implosion »

RC: have you made this kind of not-a-vanilla claim as a town power role getting lynched before? If not (and if you have been in that situation before, which I assume is true), what compelled you to do it in this game in particular?
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1583 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

In post 1580, RedCoyote wrote:there is no thing as scumhunting.

yes. as with everything that is not tangible or provable, everything is context and meta. the perception most people have of scum tells only applies to inexperienced players. if notscience regularly tunnels people early in the game for any reason other than defensive impulse... she is likely to be scum here
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1584 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

he dammit weabo avis always throw me off
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1585 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 am

Post by notscience »

This could just be me but I think my scum meta is more intricate than tunneling or not (which, us wrong seeing as I'm town)

I'd direct you to pie but she's scumreading me and I'm not sure she scumreads me along with a buddy after bins game so.

If you are one for selfmeta, a lot of my scumgame revolves around buddying my friends (which could arguably be said about fery here- me buddying nacho would have come off as off because I'm normally insanely paranoid of him. I wouldn't want pie to get too close and then Tammy hasn't really been a big factor (which also this bugs me btw)). I would join wagons based off of others stances and try to break u fights, taking every instance to make a post with genuine emotion. I would also aim to start some stupid off topic discussions to detract from the point at hand.

So meh.
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1586 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:04 am

Post by Tammy »

I"m not sure what to make of Red's not vt claim.

On the one hand, I kinda like it because as scum he could claim a role in an attempt to get counterclaimed and this leaves it ambiguous. But then that would be obvious too. He might also not be certain what Empire would use. When Mara claimed cop on day one of last swag town, we were able, well implosion I think, was able to prove through trends that the cop claim was extremely unlikely.

However, I don't get why he wouldn't just claim. I doubt very seriously that he has the type of role that becomes less useful if outed, so it's not that. He could just be leaving it to some mystery so that the scum team has a decision to make on whether or not to kill him for the role or someone a bit more dangerous and widely town read.

So yeah, IDK.

Notscience - Why would you expect me to be a big factor if you didn't have me as someone you would expect to take on a leadership role in this game? And how is this any different than We the Purple?

other than that i liked the self meta cuz i'm a sucker for self meta.
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1587 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 am

Post by Tammy »

I feel sure of very few things this game.

I think that SS, ffery and wicked are all pretty decently town.

Everyone else exists in this split pea soup where you guys keep doing things that look like they could be townish and while I like peas, I wouldn't bet that I would like mushy pea soup.

I don't want to lynch implosion because there is a chance he's the vig and even if he is the sk, he wants mafia gone just as badly as we do, and maybe there's a chance we'll figure out if he is town after all. Though him being sk would make so much sense for why I'm having such a difficult time this game. Like I have no scum reads. The closest I have is boonkies and that's in part due to cheetory, and I really don't think boon skies chaoticness looked as town as the last couple games I've seen him in. I also, on a somewhat self-centered note, hate his reasoning for the scum read on me because it feels false. Well I mean, I know I'm town, and I don't feel like I've done any of the things he's accused me of. But not one person call him out or tried to get him to elaborate or pointed out that it was wrong, so maybe I'm just crappier at this than I think I am.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1588 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:47 am

Post by fferyllt »

tammy my takeaway from the whedon game is that his reads as town don't make a lot of sense, tend to be super-reactive, and digging for more from him is usually pointless. In that game, I hated the idea of him making it to lylo. I will probably feel similarly in this one.

Idic
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #1589 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:50 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

I would much rather see RC full claim than half-claim. Not specifying his claim today probably doesn't have that much utility as town but as scum, it can prevent his lynch today and allow him to out a power role tomorrow.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1590 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 1588, fferyllt wrote:tammy my takeaway from the whedon game is that his reads as town don't make a lot of sense, tend to be super-reactive, and digging for more from him is usually pointless. In that game, I hated the idea of him making it to lylo. I will probably feel similarly in this one.

that said, his night actions as inventor had a positive impact on the game, eventually virtually cleared him, saved the IC by wifom about getting protection and enabled the last two town players to be in a neighborhood when the game went to the wire.

Idic
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1591 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

Reading

(V/LA pretty much over)
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
-Wickedestjr
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1592 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

well, i would probably claim the same as RC did as scum or town under duress... hard claiming before your lynch is confirmed seems kinda pointless in a closed setup. im not sure what relevance having a counterclaim or not would even have, as there could be multiple of the role... or none.

im fine with RC half-claiming until we decide to lynch him or dont. the only sway a claim would have on me, is having the relevant information available to us after intent is declared and before the day ends in the case he is a town member that had an impactful night action n1
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #1593 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 1592, Soft-spoken wrote:as there could be multiple of the role

This is pretty uncommon on MS, especially in a normal game.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #1594 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 1587, Tammy wrote:Well I mean, I know I'm town, and I don't feel like I've done any of the things he's accused me of. But not one person call him out or tried to get him to elaborate or pointed out that it was wrong, so maybe I'm just crappier at this than I think I am.

I let boonskies be boonskies sometimes, I don't think his weird reasoning is really indicative of scum and I don't think that me refuting his logic would help him much because the real reason he's reading you as scum is because his gut says so.

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #1595 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

We also have 8 hours left, so we need a lot more urgency in this thread that I can't provide because I will be working soon.

fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1596 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by fferyllt »

vote: redcoyote

Idic
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1597 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

ya im just sitting here waiting for wicked and ffer to progress toward a hammer or put up a fit about the lynch.

P-edit. ok there is ffer. if wicked consents to the lynch ill unvote so he can put it at l-1 while i hammersit awaiting a hard claim.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1598 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

i keep having second thoughts, but the reality i see when i have "third thoughts" is that i would have second thoughts about a lynch on anyone ATM
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1599 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Post by Tammy »

When I clear my mind and go ohm, the two people I feel I'd want to lynch are Vinkah and Pieguyn but I don't feel confident there either so IDK.

I would prefer an actual full claim from Red Coyote though.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”