Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1950 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 1948, Claus wrote:Hey! Nice game! I am a friend of MME and was espectating.

Very nice job ICE! I had Regfan as very possible scum (he smelled like Yossarian), but I'm not sure I would have been able to catch you.

In post 1930, Wake1 wrote:I want to know what I did right in this game, so I can put it on steroids.

Please help me, guys.
I used to play a few years ago, so my site meta may be a bit off but I used to be a much stronger town than scum player in the day. So here are my two cents.

Start taking some blame (and no, you are not, you are still trying to blame town for not cooperating with you). You fucked up. Don't try to "look for a silver lining" in your play. You only need one thing: humility. You are asking everyone to see what you did good, but did you stop to see where other people did good? Or, heavens forbid, what they did better than you?

The entire game you were playing by yourself. You complain that you cannot be a team player if people don't help you out. Guess what: to get sympathy, you need to FIRST GIVE sympathy. To get help, you need to FIRST GIVE HELP. Damn, working at health care I would think you would have this down.

So stop trying to think what is this great thing that make you an unique town hero, and start thinking how you can HELP other players. Think about what YOU can do to work together with them. Stop demanding, start giving.

Good luck!
I can help by providing massive amounts of information in my ISO. That suits me.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #1951 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

oh wait i said in the mason qt that ice was town

I think I was trying to appease desp why do I do that
whew!
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1952 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 1950, Wake1 wrote:
In post 1948, Claus wrote:Hey! Nice game! I am a friend of MME and was espectating.

Very nice job ICE! I had Regfan as very possible scum (he smelled like Yossarian), but I'm not sure I would have been able to catch you.

In post 1930, Wake1 wrote:I want to know what I did right in this game, so I can put it on steroids.

Please help me, guys.
I used to play a few years ago, so my site meta may be a bit off but I used to be a much stronger town than scum player in the day. So here are my two cents.

Start taking some blame (and no, you are not, you are still trying to blame town for not cooperating with you). You fucked up. Don't try to "look for a silver lining" in your play. You only need one thing: humility. You are asking everyone to see what you did good, but did you stop to see where other people did good? Or, heavens forbid, what they did better than you?

The entire game you were playing by yourself. You complain that you cannot be a team player if people don't help you out. Guess what: to get sympathy, you need to FIRST GIVE sympathy. To get help, you need to FIRST GIVE HELP. Damn, working at health care I would think you would have this down.

So stop trying to think what is this great thing that make you an unique town hero, and start thinking how you can HELP other players. Think about what YOU can do to work together with them. Stop demanding, start giving.

Good luck!
I can help by providing massive amounts of information in my ISO. That suits me.
The point

You
Currently in COVID hell, population: Entire Household
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1953 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Yeah I legitimately used to suck nuts as scum (my first 2 scum games I was the day 1 lynch) but I sort of "got it" and now seem pretty good (my other 2 scum games were flawless scum wins that included wagons driven by pretty much me).

I still think I'm better at town than scum and this game was a fluke.
Town: 14 wins, 14 losses
Scum: 3 wins, 2 losses
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1954 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 1952, Cabd wrote:
In post 1950, Wake1 wrote:

Please help me, guys.

Good luck!
The point

You
You know Cabd, I don't dislike. But I will tell you that kind of snark isn't going to help me listen to you.

If you find error in my posts, please point them ought with a modicum of general respect. Utter indifference, at worst, is better than snark if your goal is to help me to understand you.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1955 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 1954, Wake1 wrote:But I will tell you that kind of snark isn't going to help me listen to you.
Apparently nothing will, given the multitude of ways players have approached you in postgame.

You're acting like a teenage girl on facebook fishing for compliments. YOU fucked up. YOU need to own up that this was your worst game (if you have one worse than this I'll be amused) Stop asking for "what I did right"
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1956 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Post by mastin2 »

First off, an apology to the town. This game
was
fairly balanced, but then Regfan came in. :P The moment he came in, I knew exactly which faction was winning this game.

Also, Wake. Most of what I want to say to you has been said by others. But basically...
In post 1844, Wake1 wrote:This is why I don't do gambits anymore, or trust my gut. And because Scum love logic, which is why I've never lost as Scum in 5-6 years, what else do you have besides speculation?
You're ignoring the important parts. On the surface-level, a town player will do scummy stuff, and a scum player will do towny stuff.

There's a reason I never scumhunt by the literal word. Because that fight, by logic, is going to end up wrong 90% of the time. The way I scumhunt isn't by some magically-in-tune gut, either, contrary to my reputation for it. The way I scumhunt is by actually trying to figure people out. To understand them at a fundamental level. This goes beyond their alignment. When I try to figure someone out, I'm not just figuring them out as a player in that game. I'm figuring them out as a person, in general, and learning a ton about them.

With that fundamental understanding of who they are as a person, then. And only then. Can I begin looking into understanding them as a player, who has an alignment. This takes time, effort, and practice. But when it works...it works damn-well. I realize that I'm not you, and that you're not going to be able to apply this as well as I do. That's okay. You don't need to be me; you need to be you, and only you know what works best for you. But what you DO need? Is to understand what I'm talking about.

There's a difference between knowing something and actually UNDERSTANDING that something and actually APPLYING that something. The three are entirely different things. You might know that you should be figuring out the person. But do you understand why? (It's because mafia's a social game, a game of humanity, and you're dealing with actual human beings, not statistical numbers, not an equation that you plug in to try and solve.) And even if you do...can you actually apply it? Do you know how?

That's what I'm getting at.

Take it from me.

I was in your boat as a player at a time.

Hell! Just look at the opinions of me. Pre-2010 joindate, do you see many (if any) players treating me like you see, say, a 2013 player treat me? No. (Hell, even a large number of 2011 players treat me not-so-kindly, but they have reasons, too, since my game in 2011 was hit-or-miss.) You don't. Because despite having fought to improve it for literally YEARS, the damage I did to my reputation when I played back in 2010 can never be forgotten. I had the smarts I needed, but my head was in entirely the wrong place. My attitude was not what it needed to be. I heard what people said, but I didn't truly comprehend it, and in part, that was because I didn't want to. Because I wanted myself to be better than I actually was.

My attitude was basically the same as what I'm seeing from you in games you play in now. (Yes, even the bit about being blacklisted. There are plenty of players who blacklisted me, and
they weren't wrong to do so
; I deserved it.) Now, I'm not you. So you might ultimately end up being different. But you need to not discard my words of wisdom if you don't want to repeat your fate, here. As a social game, the main factor determining victory? Isn't skill. Isn't logic. Isn't gut. Isn't gambiting. Isn't roles. Isn't any of that. The main factor contributing to victory is
attitude
, and yours is in serious need of a paradigm shift.

I'm not talking about a minor tweak in your play. I really mean it when I say you need to take a step back, breathe, and totally re-think your approach to the game, because I'm not sure the train of thought you're going down will ever lead to a positive way. The important bits aren't what you did well. But what you did poorly. And as the multitude of responses in here have shown, from the mod, from the scum, from the other town players, from the setup reviewers, hell,
from the listmod herself
...there's a LOT of that. :P

If you blindly try and focus on what you think you did well this game, it's not going to serve you well in future games, because what worked well this game likely won't work well in a future game. What you need. What you really need as a player. Is to think about what MADE the things you did well this game be good. That fundamental drive behind the game is what makes things work. And to also analyze the opposite side. What makes the things that didn't work well this game be bad? Trace it back to the root of the problem. (In this case, a large part of the root problem being your current outlook on the game.)

You can't expect to reinvent your play overnight and have it work. It took me literally years to get as far as I've gotten, and I've still got a lot of progress to make. (I'm no saint, contrary to what my title may imply. :P) You can shift your mindset, and with the altered perspective. With that different view of the game. You can make progress gradually. But it's a long, slow, painful process that takes time and conscious effort on your part to improve. If you want to improve. Really want to improve. You have to accept all this. You have to accept that there are things that you'll need to let go of, and things you'll need to adapt to. The game of mafia is fluid, ever-moving. (I call it the game of humanity for a reason. Just like humanity continues to progress forward, so too does the game.) Meaning that you need to evolve yourself as the game does, too.

And the game on mafiascum.net. Is a game of people interactions. As has been mentioned,
In post 1846, Wake1 wrote:And Garmr, you should have listened. We hadn't lost yet at the start of Day 4, and I sure as hell didn't twist your arm to vote me.
Blaming others is a path to a dark place. That was one of my main shortcomings. I refused to believe that I could be the main problem. While I knew I wasn't perfect. While I knew I was flawed. I assumed that I was not the main cause of the problem. I assumed that others were to blame. I assumed that they were at fault. Not myself. Because while I screwed up, it was ultimately THEM who lynched me, right?

While this can, on occasions, end up being true *coughcoughbbmollaandcooldogIstillwillneverforgiveyoucoughcough*, nine times out of ten...it isn't. There's AT LEAST equal blame...if not more...on the person having taken this attitude. (In this case, you.) Garmr's play wasn't perfect, but it was much better than you've given him credit for.

If you're actually willing to listen, I can say more. I was only skimming the game, so I can't give you much feedback from the time of the game itself. But I only need the post-game to tell you how you can improve, because your attitude in it tells the whole tale. (Yes, I know from experience. :P My in-game personality actually hasn't changed THAT much over the last few years. But if you look at my post-game posting, I'm an entirely different person.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #1957 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 1944, Wake1 wrote:Took what back? (Sorry, I don't know what you're referring to.)
That was @cabd
In post 1945, Cabd wrote:First, yes, it was my own read of her slot as town that caused me to fakeclaim an innocent on her. However, this is why gambits can work, I weighed the risks of being wrong. I didn't spring a guilty tunnel the day before lylo; where being incorrect means a game loss.
Oh yeah that one

I read that game lol
In post 1953, ICEninja wrote:Yeah I legitimately used to suck nuts as scum (my first 2 scum games I was the day 1 lynch) but I sort of "got it" and now seem pretty good (my other 2 scum games were flawless scum wins that included wagons driven by pretty much me).

I still think I'm better at town than scum and this game was a fluke.
I think whether a player is good or bad as scum really depends on the game

I'm gonna say the obligatory "it was really obvious" after looking at your iso a bit. That happens with every single scum lol.

PEdit: I think he's using it as a way to try to improve

You can't have a game where you did literally everything wrong

PEdit 2: MASTINWALL

So many people are getting involved in this postgame lol
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1958 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 1956, mastin2 wrote: I realize that I'm not you, and that you're not going to be able to apply this as well as I do.
I was reading your post, and then came across this. That's an awfully condescending assumption on your part, Mastin. In spite of that I'll still read and consider the rest of your post.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1959 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Post by Wake1 »

I've read through your post Mastin, and much of the points you've brought to the table I do agree with. If you're willing to say more, while discussing it with me, I'd be grateful.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #1960 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 1956, mastin2 wrote:First off, an apology to the town. This game
was
fairly balanced, but then Regfan came in. :P The moment he came in, I knew exactly which faction was winning this game.
I know, right!
In post 1956, mastin2 wrote:With that fundamental understanding of who they are as a person, then. And only then. Can I begin looking into understanding them as a player, who has an alignment. This takes time, effort, and practice. But when it works...it works damn-well.
...and this is why I wish I had more fucking time lol.

I also agree with the entire rest of the post that I don't need to quote.

It goes beyond what I could have put in words.

Mastin you are amazing.

That is all.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1961 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Post by Cabd »

You really ought to have taken your own advice.

In post 2172, Wake1 wrote:I thought my gambit was worth the risk at that time, because I could have taken not one but two NKs that Night, protecting Town. I think I'll stop doing gambits, because they're rarely if ever accepted in general.

As for the insults and personal vitriol, it's not warranted. Being mad over gameplay isn't a good enough reason to personally attack someone. That applies to me as well, and don't even try to make me laugh HP about me deserving insults because my actions "insulted everyone." What a BS excuse to come from someone who keeps up the appearance of being a civil intellectual.

Yeah, I say hurtful, stupid things when I'm stressed, but at least I admit it's all wrong and don't make excuses for it. I'd like to see if Matias, HP, and others can do the same as well. I sort of think they might be too proud or cocksure to do so. You can blacklist me if you want, but it'd be a reckless rush to judgement.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1962 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Post by mastin2 »

To put it another way, Wake.

You're the kind of player that, somewhere down the line? I can see people enjoy playing with. I can see people enjoy having around. I can see being a good person, a good player, a good contribution to the site as a whole.

But that player?

Doesn't exist right now, and won't for quite some time. It won't be easy to get there. But it's not impossible, if you actually take the advice people are giving you to heart. It took me a while to do so. (Most of the things you see me lecture on? Are things that I was lectured on. I ignored them at the time. I heard them. I thought I was listening to them. But I never truly let them soak in. I never truly listened, because I didn't take them to heart until much later.) I screwed up badly in 2010. I also had a ton of screwups in 2011. Hell, I still screwed up once or twice in 2012, too. But as time went on, I did so progressively less and less. That wasn't because I got better at not screwing up. It was because I got better at listening to people and understanding, truly understanding, their words.

There is potential in you. But that potential is currently locked behind a solid block of issues, issues that you'll need to understand, recognize, and try to fix. So do a little soul-searching. I mention above that one of the fundamental things you need to do is to understand a player not only as just a player, but as a person as well. The first player you need to know? The first person you need to truly understand?

...Is yourself. And right now, bluntly, you don't. You might think you do. "How could I not know myself?" But you don't. You won't until you apply the things I said to yourself. Look at who you are. The good, the bad, the in-between. (Often-times, the bad can be turned into good!) And understand it. By understanding yourself. By knowing who you truly are. You'll be able to better approach others and work best with them. By knowing your strengths and weaknesses. By trying to know their strengths and weaknesses. You can bind them together. You can turn mutual strengths to augment each other, and let your weaknesses cancel one another out.

As I said. It's a long road. You won't instantly master it. Hell, I still haven't mastered it! But it's what you need to do. And trust me. You will be glad you did it. Not just as a player. It'll help you as a player, yes. But as a person. Mafia helped turn my life around, from going to a bad place into a better one. And it was for precisely that reason--I learned to understand myself. So I cannot stress that enough. I cannot recommend it to you more, the importance of it.
Know who you are.

And know what you want to become.
My academy.
Agnigi
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1963 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Post by N »

My first normal reviewed game is over already!?

They grow up so fast.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1964 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 1961, Cabd wrote:You really ought to have taken your own advice.

In post 2172, Wake1 wrote:I thought my gambit was worth the risk at that time, because I could have taken not one but two NKs that Night, protecting Town. I think I'll stop doing gambits, because they're rarely if ever accepted in general.

As for the insults and personal vitriol, it's not warranted. Being mad over gameplay isn't a good enough reason to personally attack someone. That applies to me as well, and don't even try to make me laugh HP about me deserving insults because my actions "insulted everyone." What a BS excuse to come from someone who keeps up the appearance of being a civil intellectual.

Yeah, I say hurtful, stupid things when I'm stressed, but at least I admit it's all wrong and don't make excuses for it. I'd like to see if Matias, HP, and others can do the same as well. I sort of think they might be too proud or cocksure to do so. You can blacklist me if you want, but it'd be a reckless rush to judgement.
That I can agree with wholeheartedly.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1965 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Post by mastin2 »

And because you're interested in hearing things more in-depth, Wake...
In post 1849, Wake1 wrote:Also, Infinity, people shouldn't judge people based on how good they are as Scum.
People shouldn't judge people,
period
. This one takes a bit of explaining, but basically? You're judging others. You judged Garmr, you judged ffery, you judge everyone, up to and including me. You're passing assumptions onto them, writing them off. Hell. You're even judging yourself, more positively than you should be. "Judging" might seem to be similar to "understanding" on the surface, but...it's not.

If you know a person. You really know them. You
get
them. You understand that person. Then you haven't passed judgment on them. You've learned who they are. And knowing who they are. You can get better at doing what needs to be done. Working with them as town, identifying them when they're scum, manipulating them when you're scum. All these require you not to arbitrarily make assumptions about a person. (Yes, including assuming that a player is making assumptions. :P You passed judgment on me as having done so.) Instead, they require you to have them, well...pinned down. That what you know is the truth about them, not what you think is the truth about them.
I could almost here the shrieks when I started questioning Ffery, because, *gasp*, she's universally Town. Same with Reg.
Which is because, y'know, she actually
was
town. Yes, Regfan wasn't. But you need to understand that there was a difference between the two. ffery was considered universally town because she was showing her town self through-and-through. Regfan was considered universally town because he manipulated everyone into reading him that way. It's perfectly fine to question why someone's a universal townread. But you're not questioning the townread. (At least, you shouldn't be.) You should be questioning the WHY
behind
the townread. The reason. The fundamental motive, mindset, DRIVE, behind why that townread is so universal. And though it was invisible at the time to the players, in hindsight, the difference between ffery and Regfan was the difference between day and night. (This might seem like something you can ONLY pick up on post-game or if you already know it. But it's not impossible! They exist, even at the time. The key is locking onto them.)
What doesn't make sense is why Ffery didn't go full-blown rage mode the VERY MOMENT I faked a guilty on her. That shit has happened to me, and I raged and got it thrown off.
And again, as has been mentioned before...assuming others are like you won't work. This might be what you would have done. But you needed to understand what ffery would have done. (And ultimately, did.) You needed to understand her as a person, beyond a player who had an alignment, to realize why this wouldn't have happened, ever.
You tell me how I'm supposed to react to that.
Reacting is fine. Overreacting isn't. If you see something, you can push it. But when doing so...you have to have a clear mind on why you're doing it. You have to have a clear idea on what you're pushing, and more importantly, WHY. To have that end goal in sight, and also acknowledging (this is a biggie) that what you actually get might not be what you were expecting. Can't stress that enough. Things won't always work as you expect them to. So you have to recognize they didn't go as you thought they would, and then analyze why not.
I wouldn't have gambitted if I didn't have to feel like this was a popularity contest.
And again. This is the wrong outlook on the game. The game of mafia is not who-waves-the-biggest-dick. It's not whoever carries the biggest stick. It's not whoever is the most famous. It's not whoever has the most glorious record behind their name. Those? Are all meaningless statistics as far as I'm concerned. The game of mafia is about understanding others. The people who're "popular" aren't popular because they aimed for popularity. They are 'popular' because they actually bother to put effort into knowing others and working with them. (Or, as scum, manipulating the players into THINKING they're working with them, when in fact, the scum have the town players on puppet strings.)
In post 1853, Wake1 wrote:And I'm not as bad person, and I'm not a bad player (especially as Scum). All the personal attacks were despicable.
This is another fundamental problem you're having, Wake. You're assuming the people here are attacking your character. Key word--attacking. You're on the defensive, perceiving yourself to need to defend yourself. I can say this with no assumption attached because you might not even realize you've done so but it's exactly what you ARE doing. You're assuming people are attacking your integrity, when in truth...they're not.

They're not trying to
rob
hurt you. They're trying to help you. You're not a bad person, but aspects of your person are bad. (This is true of everyone. The difference is, in good players, said aspects rarely if ever show up. They're...showing up frequently for you, Wake. You don't even realize it, but they're all there.) You're not necessarily a bad player, but your current path is going to lead you to become one, rather than the good player you have the potential to be.
My gut just told me Ffery was too-true-to-be-Town, like Regfan actually was.
You tell me what I should have done with my gut feeling.
Analyze it! Understand why you've had that gut feeling. In this case, there was a kernel of truth to it! Not applicable to ffery, but to Regfan. You can't be narrow-minded in applications of things. If you look at things broadly, it can sometimes just
click
into place.
How the hell else would I have gotten Ffery lynched? I didn't have the time or energy to wade through a popularity contest.
The way to get a player others are reading as town lynched isn't to gambit. Never was, and never will be. Nor is it to strongarm your way through the lynch. Was for a time, but wasn't originally and ideally never will be again. :P The way to get a player others are reading as town lynched? Is to work with them and convince them otherwise on their read.

Recognize why they have that townread. Explain to them that you understand why they concluded that, but respectfully say that you think their conclusion (while not unreasonable) is ultimately wrong. And explain where you're coming from with the contrary. Explain why you see what you see. Be open. Be receptive. And they will reciprocate. I know it's been said, but I need to say it all the same--treat others with the respect you want to be treated with. And it'll make all the difference in the world.

People don't always go along with what I say. But they go along with what I say more often than not, because that's exactly what I do. I acknowledge them. I recognize them. I understand they are people. People who have put their own time, energy, and effort into figuring things out (assuming they're town, that is). People who don't want to see that work wasted. People who don't want it carelessly discarded. So I work with them. I even direct them using their own logic. An example of this applicable to this game is even listed above, if you see where I'm going with this. Say I was a player this game.

You said that you thought ffery was too town to be town. (Okay, so that wording is a fallacy and a strawman of your argument, but just run with the simplification for the time being. :P) Instead of ignoring you, I can acknowledge your existence and your point, going, "That's a good theory, but have you tried applying that logic to Regfan?" Not those exact words. But you get the point. That type of positive reinforcement. That a player has done right in having done what they've done, even if what they did wasn't the correct conclusion.
In post 1854, Wake1 wrote:I called VT cannon fodder. Not you as a person, Ffery. Where I played elsewhere, VTs were always treated as expendable pawns. "Oh, he claimed VT at L-1? Lynch him anyways."
The problem with that is, on mafiascum.net...said "cannon fodder" make up the vast majority of the game. Approximately 50% of the total town in ANY typical game is going to be VTs. Sometimes a lot more! They're not expendable pawns to be discarded. They're
people
. And people? Don't like to be thrown away. There's a reason that this is a common trope in fiction, Wake! Where a previously-antagonistic mook pulls a HeelFaceTurn the moment the villain makes it apparent that said mook is useless. Because, as a person, they don't exactly take kindly to being written off as cannon fodder.

Don't be a bond villain, Wake. :P
In post 1859, Wake1 wrote:When people are innocent, they react aggressively, not defensively or evasively.
This is the opposite of my experience in general, by the way. When a person is innocent, they're trying to figure out how the hell a person thinks/claims they're not. They
don't
know. They have literally no clue more often than not how it'd be possible.

Scum, on the other hand, knowing it's true, will (pardon the term) flip their shit at it. :P
In post 1860, Wake1 wrote:If you don't value a person's opinion, what do you think that person's gonna do?
Again, it's been said, but it needs to be said again. You can apply this to yourself, Wake. No, not "can". Literally need to in order to have so much as a chance at succeeding at the game. You NEED to value another person's opinion. Because if you don't? If you discard them as nothing but a tool, a pawn, a statistic? They're not going to take kindly to it.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1966 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Post by mastin2 »

And I just lost my second post, but basically, it continues through the thread dealing with the things on the other pages you've said and my take on how you can reapply them, only better.

I'll see about reconstructing it tomorrow. Butyeah. There's one thing I wanted to wrap up saying. (It'd have been better if I hadn't lost the part where I describe this concept in detail. :P)

I might not be you, so I can't know you for sure. But I can recognize patterns. I can recognize trends. I can recognize similarities, both in posting, in playstyle, and all-around attitude. So I can recognize when someone is going down the wrong path in life. I can see it, because I understand them. I might not fully, 100%, have the picture of them. But I still get them. So please. Do trust what I'm saying. Please.
My academy.
Agnigi
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1967 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Masin2 wrote: Hell! Just look at the opinions of me. Pre-2010 joindate, do you see many (if any) players treating me like you see, say, a 2013 player treat me? No. (Hell, even a large number of 2011 players treat me not-so-kindly, but they have reasons, too, since my game in 2011 was hit-or-miss.)
This would be me. I've played games with this guy that made my blood boil and swear I'd never play with him again, but it was a while ago so I'd probably be willing to now.

Also, Wake, I know this isn't what you want to hear but I feel like I should point it out because its the truth. You asked what you did right this game? Honestly the answer is pretty much nothing. You lynched no scum, and by the time you actually found any scum you had already dug your own grave. You asked lots of decent questions that could have given town info had they been analyzed and followed up on, but most of your questions, once answered, were rarely discussed later. Furthermore, you asked a plethora of questions that really JUST WERE answered, and that gave not only myself as scum something to attack but other players such as SG and MME reason to find your questions less credible.

Now I'm not saying you did everything wrong this game. However coming in post game to ask what you did correctly, what you did
in this game
to emulate to help you in future town games, well, there isn't much in terms of good play. I'd say your best play was during lylo, you gave me a bit of pause when you had literally called out all scum players at some point until I realized you had also called all 3 town players scum as well. I think had you simply locked down the fact that FROM YOUR POINT OF VIEW Reg and fitz were both more or less guaranteed scum, you would have had a MUCH better time of surviving the game to lynch Reg. Had you lynched Reg you could have literally won the game for town, and we actually hesitated doing the claim because of how powerful your swing was, and due to the possibility that once town realized you were town you could crucify the entire team.

But the point is it was all for nothing because of two reasons, 1) you had dug your own grave and accepted only partial blame for it and 2) you were swinging the scum flail around the entire room, hitting everyone, and giving the actual town nothing worth following. Being that every single one of them were called scum by you at some point during that whole shitstorm none of them were willing to follow you.

Plus you were outplayed. Regfan is really good. There's no shame in losing a 1v1 to a really good player, I swear.
Kid A
Kid A
Mafia Scum
Kid A
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1968 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Post by Kid A »

happy that i was right about ice

wake youve got to understand that everyone else in town is as important as you, its not fair if you lie to give your reads priority over everyone elses
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1969 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Kid A I would suggest for future games if your scum read on someone has a case whoever every single point is an associative tell with another player, you should get that flip. If you got fitz lynched you could have pushed me easily but you did it in the wrong order and that gave me tons of firepower against you.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1970 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 1844, Wake1 wrote:Now I'm inclined to never do gambits even if it costs Town the win.
I'm sure many towns on mafiascum will suffer, as a result.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1971 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 1970, Faraday wrote:
In post 1844, Wake1 wrote:Now I'm inclined to never do gambits even if it costs Town the win.
I'm sure many towns on mafiascum will suffer, as a result.
Would you rephrase that please? I don't want to misunderstand you.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1972 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Post by Cabd »

He's trolling you.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1973 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Post by Faraday »

??? no i was just saying i hope you don't lose your confidence
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1974 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Post by Cabd »

I sit corrected.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”