pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4944 (isolation #200) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Post by pieguyn »

more comprehensive thoughts on the game:

first off, I don't think this setup was as town sided as people think it is. I think the setup was *probably* more town sided than not, but I don't think it was ridiculous. the majority of the town's power, when you really get down to it, was condensed into the two mason roles. after that, honestly, most of the other roles were really meh null roles that don't *really* accomplish much. any of them could just as easily have been scum roles, and, outside of the tracker, which, well, we saw what happened there, and the N4+ redirector which isn't bad if it makes it that far, none of them could really do much of anything. it was likely a scum kill might have been blocked, but that's about it

you have to keep in mind that 1. scum are bound to find at least some PRs early on if they get ran up and forced to claim, and 2. there are two kill sources in the game. scum *did* out the tracker on the first day. ideally, the tracker would have been dead immediately. it was because scum got paranoid of it being protected rather than so much as attempting to kill it immediately that it was able to live and do so much damage to the scum team. plus, in the first place, scum being lynched D1 put scum at a disadvantage right from the get go. if Constantine didn't misstep in the way that he did, the entire point is moot because they can kill it anyway (even N1 if they see it fit, since the strongman went through everything). I think that if, for instance, Nacho got deadline lynched D1 and scum opted to kill Chandra N1 after she was outed, it would have been a completely different game: three of the scum would have been in a fairly good position to get far into the game, given that none of them had really been wagoned or pressured up to then, and the only major roadblock they would have really suffered after that in terms of town power would have been the mason team which would have amounted to 3 clears total after Gin and Sonic died. it is also, in general, very difficult for something like a tracker to get even one guilty in a setup of this size: barring additional information gained when massclaim happens if it even gets that far, they have to specifically investigate the person who performs the kill, which on N2 was a 1-in-17 chance

essentially, town's major power advantage came from this, the tracker going GODMODE and getting two guilties, and the mason team playing very well in that they survived three days without being ran up or nightkilled (with two kill sources), and similarly clearing people who didn't get ran up or killed. as another example, if Gin and Sonic got ran up any further to the point of having to claim on D1 or vig killed on N1, it would have been a fairly different game as well

in general, I really do not think scum was screwed from the get go like people seemed to think they were - even *with* the scum lynch, they should have been able to recover to *some* extent, and the tracker royally fucking them over was a situation that, objectively speaking, was very, very unlikely to happen in a vacuum

I also should mention (in my opinion at least) 4 scum in this case was necessary in a 20p game with a vig in it. if there were 5, worst-case, the game could have ended on N3. the setup was designed primarily around scum survival - it was key for them to not bus and not put themselves at too much of a disadvantage early on. on the other hand, a scum team that *did* survive well enough would almost certainly be able to win the game. I talked about this a bit in the dead PT but the dayvig was intended to activate D6 at the very earliest and most likely around D7, and it wasn't really as hard to get as people seemed to think, for a few reasons (at that point you'd likely only need 4 people marked total, plus in a MYLO scenario it would have been fairly straightforward to just keep no lynching and marking people *if* there was anyone unmarked remaining), but it would up being a moot point anyway. either way, if it made it to LYLO scum would have a pretty much guaranteed win without having to actually do anything by just bussing all the remaining scum partners if necessary until there were no town left. the strongman was there primarily in order to allow the scum team an emergency brake if there became a situation where the mason team had too many clears, since it was likely one of the protective roles in the game would have still been around to keep them around longer.

if I had to run the game again, I probably would have either made Sumire a full strongman or at least gave her more shots. just 1-shot was harsh in hindsight. or potentially give Awai an ability of some kind. not sure exactly what the best way to go about it would be.

now, onto the actual play: I thought this game was going pretty well until near the end of D1. after that, this turned into one of those spamfest games where it's basically impossible to keep up with the game or have any form of proper discussion. I have literally 0 idea why you all had to spend 30+ pages running around in the last 12 hours of D1... -.- I thought the Nacho lynch D2 was hilariously bad, and that there were people writing it off as "lol, he was scummy" was even worse when Nacho had the best player reads at that point in the game (Xtoxm and Jazzmyn as scum) and he really wasn't acting in a way that had explicit scum motivation. I think I can say this objectively when Empire who was watching the game was saying similar things and there were people such as Benjamin Applebaum complaining about the lynch in the game thread. aside from that, I generally thought both sides were doing OK in that town wasn't hilariously wrong on any of their consensus town reads, whereas scum was off the radar for the most part. after that none of it even mattered because Chandra getting 2 guilties ended up blowing the game wide open anyway.

last, I still entirely disagree with Wisdom's assessment that the game was breakable for so many reasons it's not funny, but I don't think it's particularly productive to discuss it in thread - I am more than open to discussion via PM if you want to talk about this. another thing I should mention was that Bitmap and Bins' roles confirming each other's flavor existed in the game, but not confirming alignment, should have been a blaringly obvious indication that there might exist scum who weren't aligned with Shiraitodai in canon even if you didn't know that I did it before (even if you don't recognize the premise that, theoretically speaking, you can't just make assumptions like that), except no one knew about it because Bitmap was fake claiming that his PM confirmed Bins as town. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (fun fact: as I said, I RNG fakeclaims. if either Toki or Ryuuka would have been one of the fake claims, their role would have just been made a scum role instead and the setup would likely have been slightly tweaked to account for it, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. what could have been -.-)

regardless of what you thought of the game, I hope it was at least somewhat enjoyable. thanks everyone for playing. \:D/ and extra thanks to my replacements for replacing in when they did; I'm not sure what I would have done without you all. hilariously, Skybird won, without a single post in the game thread. I haven't had that happen before but I think that's pretty lol.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4945 (isolation #201) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Post by pieguyn »

lastly, 200 modposts. holy crap.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4948 (isolation #202) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 2951, Nachomamma8 wrote:Yesterday, I ended with my vote on scum. You ended with your vote on town. Today, the only thing you've done is push me for being "not town nacho": you have no case because "you don't need good cases to lynch scum", but unlike in corpse party where we were inconsistent, never there, never scumhunting, played like garbage, I have made pushes, I've saved town, and currently would be lynching scum if it wasn't for your stupid as shit push on me.

this post is Hilarious in Hindsight
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4976 (isolation #203) » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:15 am

Post by pieguyn »

IKA PLS

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”