Newbie 1575 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
prawneater
prawneater
Goon
prawneater
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

Post by prawneater »

Whoa you got Jared615 to change his avatar.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:24 am

Post by Micc »

VoteCount 1.01

jared615 (1)
: Thor665
Thor665 (1)
: Espeonage
bji (1)
: prawneater
prawneater (1)
: jared615

Not Voting (5)
: ocelot, riku, Mikazuki, pirate mollie, bji

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to Lynch or No Lynch.

Deadline
: The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2015-02-19 11:10:00).
Last edited by Micc on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:31 am

Post by bji »

In post 16, Thor665 wrote:2. I can specifically say my vote is not random. I am pretty sure the first one was.

The only thing that happened between your vote on Mollie and your switched vote to Jared was that prawneater voted for Jared.

And yet you claim that your vote was not random.

I am very curious to know what it was about prawneater's vote on Jared that made you change your vote for a non-random reason.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:33 am

Post by pirate mollie »

hi guyz

wats going on
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:35 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 17, bji wrote:
In post 15, Jared615 wrote:
In post 14, Thor665 wrote:
In post 12, Jared615 wrote:Yeah Have fun guys on that mislynch

Do you think you should look town to us?
You don't look particularly town to me - so why should we not vote you?

Also, why have you not placed a vote yet - if you are town and think this is a bad town move, what makes you think all three of the people voting you are town right now?

Look people I'm just getting started.

I have no clue why people are voting for me. I assume its random.

I haven't voted yet cause I'm unsure who I want to vote for

Don't worry, early votes are basically just random, people are just talking and exploring. You will not get lynched just because of these early random votes, even if you did somehow make it to L-1 (i.e. one more vote to lynch), unless you do something to convince people that you really are scum. But you haven't done anything yet.

Like I said, I only voted for you because animated avatars are distracting. I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

But really, don't worry about it. These votes are basically meaningless and there is lots of time left for them to move in Day 1.

I am not quite certain why somebody wld put forth the effort to convince you that they are scum. cld you unpack this for me?
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 am

Post by pirate mollie »

VOTE: bji
whew!
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:41 am

Post by bji »

In post 29, pirate mollie wrote:
I am not quite certain why somebody wld put forth the effort to convince you that they are scum. cld you unpack this for me?

Short answer: I was just trying to be nice.

Full details at the end of .
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:42 am

Post by bji »

In post 31, bji wrote:
In post 29, pirate mollie wrote:

Short answer: I was just trying to be nice.

Full details at the end of .

I meant . My derp is going full blast today, sorry.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 am

Post by pirate mollie »

none of that explains why some1 wld put forth the effort to convince you they are scum tho
whew!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 23, bji wrote:I knew that not enough people had even posted to have caused my vote to have the unintended effect of putting Jared at L-1.

So you checked how many people had posted but not what they had posted?
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:53 am

Post by bji »

In post 33, pirate mollie wrote:none of that explains why some1 wld put forth the effort to convince you they are scum tho

Nobody would do that, and I did not say anyone would. You're misunderstanding my wording, I guess.

Convincing someone of something is not always an intentional act, and in the specific case at hand, it is assumed that it would not be an intentional act.

I was simply trying to reassure Jared that he wouldn't be lynched unless his actions had (intentionally or not, presumably unintentionally at this stage of the game) convinced enough people that he was scum. When he said "Yeah Have fun guys on that mislynch" I read it as an actual belief that he was in danger of being mislynched just because of these early RVS votes. I do not believe that this is the case, and I didn't want him, as a newbie, to feel like he was really in danger of being voted off just because of some innocuous early thread activity. I could see feeling that one is being attacked early as a reason to perhaps give up on the game or the site if you're a newbie who doesn't understand the game and is reacting emotionally. I was just trying to provide some support.
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:57 am

Post by bji »

In post 34, Thor665 wrote:
In post 23, bji wrote:I knew that not enough people had even posted to have caused my vote to have the unintended effect of putting Jared at L-1.

So you checked how many people had posted but not what they had posted?

I didn't count, but I was pretty sure that it was not a sufficient number to actually make my vote put Jared at L-1. It was a gut feeling based on the number of distinct avatars I believed I had seen. If I had accidentally put Jared at L-1, I would have been very embarrassed.

I read the posts but somehow I missed the votes. Not sure how that happened. Probably the dancing avatar distracted me :]

Also, is there a reason that you have not answered my question from post ?
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:02 am

Post by bji »

In post 36, bji wrote:
Also, is there a reason that you have not answered my question from post ?

Ack, there's no question in post 27. Sorry. It was an implied question about why you would change your vote to Jared. To avoid even more confusion, let me state it as an explicit question:

What was your non-random reason, alluded to in post , for changing your vote from pirate mollie to Jared615?
ocelot
ocelot
Townie
ocelot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:07 am

Post by ocelot »

Vote: riku

So this thread is up and running? Excellent.
This is simply a random vote of course, hopefully the rest will join us soon.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:17 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 35, bji wrote:
In post 33, pirate mollie wrote:none of that explains why some1 wld put forth the effort to convince you they are scum tho

Nobody would do that, and I did not say anyone would. You're misunderstanding my wording, I guess.

Convincing someone of something is not always an intentional act, and in the specific case at hand, it is assumed that it would not be an intentional act.

I was simply trying to reassure Jared that he wouldn't be lynched unless his actions had (intentionally or not, presumably unintentionally at this stage of the game) convinced enough people that he was scum. When he said "Yeah Have fun guys on that mislynch" I read it as an actual belief that he was in danger of being mislynched just because of these early RVS votes. I do not believe that this is the case, and I didn't want him, as a newbie, to feel like he was really in danger of being voted off just because of some innocuous early thread activity. I could see feeling that one is being attacked early as a reason to perhaps give up on the game or the site if you're a newbie who doesn't understand the game and is reacting emotionally. I was just trying to provide some support.

what is missing from this post is town paranoia. I guess where I am getting at is that is a lot of assumptions to make about jared but what is missing from this is the scenario where jared might actually be scum. if you find his "emotional response" town then just state it so we can lock you into a read. cos I find it weird that in your response you seem to think he is town but unwilling to state that is what you think i.e. it implies you already know his alignment.
whew!
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:21 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 38, ocelot wrote:

I think only mikasomething has not posted and it doesn't look like they have picked up their role pm. otherwise it wld be bolded I think.
whew!
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:36 am

Post by bji »

In post 39, pirate mollie wrote:
what is missing from this post is town paranoia. I guess where I am getting at is that is a lot of assumptions to make about jared but what is missing from this is the scenario where jared might actually be scum. if you find his "emotional response" town then just state it so we can lock you into a read. cos I find it weird that in your response you seem to think he is town but unwilling to state that is what you think i.e. it implies you already know his alignment.

Whether or not Jared is scum was immaterial to the purpose of my post. My intention was to reassure him, regardless of his alignment, that this is a fun game, and that he should not "give up" immediately because of RVS stage voting. I have no idea what his exact emotional state was, but his quote about "have fun guys" just suggested a certain frustration to me. I wanted to take the edge off of that frustration. It was a public service post, not a game post.

This is my second game, and in my first, I replaced in after the RVS stage was mostly over (or maybe completely over, I can't remember exactly and the end of the RVS stage is a fuzzy line to draw anyway). But my reading of it was that it was a fairly fun time when people were saying fairly silly things and getting to know each other. That game in particular was cat themed and people were making jokes and votes based on other people's cat avatars. My conclusion was that there is a grace period at the beginning of the game when people can make posts that are not expected to be interepreted as being strictly game related. My post to Jared under question here was one such post. My apologies if I misunderstood convention.
Jared615
Jared615
Townie
Jared615
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 am

Post by Jared615 »

MOD I did vote

VOTE: Vote: prawneater
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 36, bji wrote:I didn't count, but I was pretty sure that it was not a sufficient number to actually make my vote put Jared at L-1. It was a gut feeling based on the number of distinct avatars I believed I had seen. If I had accidentally put Jared at L-1, I would have been very embarrassed.

:neutral:

In post 37, bji wrote:What was your non-random reason, alluded to in post , for changing your vote from pirate mollie to Jared615?

So that I could vote someone who already had a vote on them that wasn't me in order to make a larger wagon.

In post 38, ocelot wrote:

What do you think of what has happened in the thread thus far? Some of us are already done with RVS, and are calling people scummy.
You have nothing to add to that other than this post?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 42, Jared615 wrote:
MOD I did vote

VOTE: Vote: prawneater

Votecount has been fixed. In the future, please use bolded text to address me in thread. Thats what I look for, and other players might take your blue as impersonating the moderator.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 22, Jared615 wrote:
VOTE:prawneater

Simply for trying to lynch a townie

On reading, this post stands out. This feels like scum responding to light buddying from a town player. Motivation wise, this pushes two agendas.

1. To appear more town after town bji flips.
2. To further buddy with town bji and gain an ally in the town.

This fits as scum know who town are, so if bji is town then Jared knows this.

Thor will tell you that it is much easier to get people to come with you on a lynch if you get along. (It's one of his strongest scum tactics of being supremely likable.)

Still reading, will probs vote when I'm up to date.
Don't @ me.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 39, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 35, bji wrote:

It's also missing scum alertness. Come and wagon Jared with me.

Unvote, Vote: Jared
Don't @ me.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

no

cos in what world exists does jared's post look like buddying I mean who is he trying to buddy exactly. prawneater? prawneater had just voted him. and no1 else was voting prawneater.

and i don't see how in any way, shape or form jared looks like he knows the alignment of any1 but thanks for ignoring bji whom I actually think does!
whew!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 20, prawneater wrote:
bji wrote:
Don't worry, early votes are basically just random, people are just talking and exploring. You will not get lynched just because of these early random votes, even if you did somehow make it to L-1 (i.e. one more vote to lynch), unless you do something to convince people that you really are scum. But you haven't done anything yet.

Like I said, I only voted for you because animated avatars are distracting. I don't actually think you're scum (until you convince me otherwise :)). I didn't even pay close attention to the previous votes and only noticed afterwards that that put you on three votes.

But really, don't worry about it. These votes are basically meaningless and there is lots of time left for them to move in Day 1.

I don't know if this post really serves town.
UNVOTE: Jared615

It followed on from this post.

He voted prawneater for voting bji.
Don't @ me.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 48, Espeonage wrote:
In post 20, prawneater wrote:
bji wrote:

I don't know if this post really serves town.
UNVOTE: Jared615

It followed on from this post.

He voted prawneater for voting bji.

okay I follow your reasoning here but I read his vote "for trying to lynch a townie" as a post that meant jared was referring to himself not bji since his and prawneater's posts are only 2 minutes apart.
whew!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”