Quick question

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:50 am

Post by itlepip »

In post 24, PokerFace wrote:
kuribo wrote:Petition to make me the official ambassador for MS to other sites

DEAR TOURNAMENT PIGS

YOU WILL PERISH IN FLAMES

FUCK YOU FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

YOURS IN CHRIST
KURIBO

I am willing to sign this petition

second.
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:35 am

Post by Sméagol »

So... Does this mafia community tournament, also accept
mods
from other sites? or do they nly have mods of their own? (That would seem biased)
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
: none
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 26, Sméagol wrote:So... Does this mafia community tournament, also accept
mods
from other sites? or do they nly have mods of their own? (That would seem biased)

not entirely sure but the set up is matrix 12 so it's semi open
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:26 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

dom im so salt that i didnt get picked for rep. rip me
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

Post by wgeurts »

MS didn't sent a rep.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:52 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

our home site did
TheMainMan
TheMainMan
Ninja
TheMainMan
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:23 am

Post by TheMainMan »

Hi guys :)

I'm Thingyman.

mafiascum is of course invited to participate in this tournament. There are currently 135 confirmed communities participating, including the largest Spanish, Italian, Indonesian, Danish, Swedish communities etc. We have anything from poker sites to manga sites to roleplaying sites to sports sites to pokemon sites. It's a really big mafia world out there, and it's been fantastic to see how bonds have been formed between communities throughout these past several years now. Last season even spawned 3 romantic relationships, imagine that :D
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 am

Post by wgeurts »

I don't see why MS shouldn't send anyone.
If the mods don't have any issues someone could run another thread where people could sign-up and be voted on, it wouldn't even have to be one the mods. I would offer to do this if I wasn't going to be away for a few weeks soon.

Honestly this whole thing seems pretty sweet. We are like one of the main Mafia sites so it makes sense, someone's got to show them how it's done and we may even attract more users to this site.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:16 am

Post by callforjudgement »

There are two main styles of Mafia, which tend not to mix well. The easiest way to think about it is that one's based around dayplay, and one's based around night actions. Mafiascum users should be pretty familiar with dayplay-based games, but the night-based games don't have much to resemble it; they aren't necessarily "role madness" but are typically at least somewhat Open, have what we'd consider breaking strategies, and often have free amounts of private conversation. Typical play involves identifying someone who's easily confirmable as town, then everyone claiming to that person privately, at which point the game basically becomes a logic puzzle. (About the closest I've seen Mafiascum get to that style of play is One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which is still not really that close.) Most sites fall into one or the other, although a few (such as EpicMafia) do both.

I'm not sure how this problem would be solved in a cross-site tournament. If you drop Mafiascum players into that style of night game, they'll find it very hard to scumhunt because nobody else is trying to, and players who are unprepared for that sort of game may well end up throwing it because they didn't realise that they had to fakeclaim in their first post (especially as scum, but sometimes even as town). If you drop players from a night-action-heavy meta into a White Flag, they'll be utterly confused about what they're meant to do and how it's possible to gain any information at all. I guess middle grounds do exist, but I'm not sure they'd be satisfying for either side.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

I've played on several sites in the past and most of them have games that are pretty much like MS games (half the time the setup was actually one designed on MS). The main difference between them is the Day Phases are much shorter, and some of the sites use QT's still so scum have Daychat by default. I think our phase lengths are the most deterring thing to outsiders thinking about joining us, but Newbies and Opens give them a good way to transition into this site's meta without being completely lost.

Town of Salem is the only time I've seen mafia games where players can communicate privately to anyone they choose (beyond neighborizers and the like).

As far as what's in these tournament games, iirc they're a version of semi-open where the hosts name all the kinds of roles that could be in games, but beyond that the exact setups aren't known. Or at least that's how it was last time I looked at one of them.

P.S. Mafiascum actually has sent reps to these tournaments in the past.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 am

Post by itlepip »

Just send Kuribo and then make sure he at least sends pics of the trophy back here.
TheMainMan
TheMainMan
Ninja
TheMainMan
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:55 am

Post by TheMainMan »

In post 26, Sméagol wrote:So... Does this mafia community tournament, also accept
mods

These games will be automated Matrix12 setups (semi-open) that are heavily inspired by the popular Matrix6 setup, except it's for 17 players and have added a few roles. The mod's role in these types of games is thus very limited; The mod doesn't need to resolve any night actions or design the setup, their only role is writing flavor and taking care of game integrity. However, currently there are various mods signed up to take care of these games, and they come from several different sites, so we are definitely open to this, for sure.

In post 33, callforjudgement wrote:There are two main styles of Mafia, which tend not to mix well. The easiest way to think about it is that one's based around dayplay, and one's based around night actions. Mafiascum users should be pretty familiar with dayplay-based games, but the night-based games don't have much to resemble it; they aren't necessarily "role madness" but are typically at least somewhat Open, have what we'd consider breaking strategies, and often have free amounts of private conversation. Typical play involves identifying someone who's easily confirmable as town, then everyone claiming to that person privately, at which point the game basically becomes a logic puzzle. (About the closest I've seen Mafiascum get to that style of play is One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which is still not really that close.) Most sites fall into one or the other, although a few (such as EpicMafia) do both.

I'm not sure how this problem would be solved in a cross-site tournament. If you drop Mafiascum players into that style of night game, they'll find it very hard to scumhunt because nobody else is trying to, and players who are unprepared for that sort of game may well end up throwing it because they didn't realise that they had to fakeclaim in their first post (especially as scum, but sometimes even as town). If you drop players from a night-action-heavy meta into a White Flag, they'll be utterly confused about what they're meant to do and how it's possible to gain any information at all. I guess middle grounds do exist, but I'm not sure they'd be satisfying for either side.

This is a good concern. Not only this specific concern as it relates to mafiascum users, but just the general concern of different sites having to compromise and play a setup that some of the communities aren't used to.

The way we battle this is to have a different setup each year. So first season had 25-man custom-designed semi-open setups, second season had 13-man near-mountainous games (only cop included as special role), and this season is Matrix12.

To address your specific concern: These tournaments have definitely favored players that are more about solving the game during day and not relying on roles and private communication etc. The games and the types of players that generally sign up for these games definitely align well with the mafiascum style of play. That isn't to say that there aren't a few players each season that are maybe wanting to no lynch Day 1 or who are used to the whole game mainly taking place during night, and they have had to adapt, which can admittedly be frustrating, but as you say those games do tend to be breakable or can easily suffer from game integrity issues, which is why they aren't fit for a championship format (in my opinion, at least).
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:59 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

Yo thingy could I play in the game withouta site to represent??
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 am

Post by PantherPunt »

I think this is a pretty awesome deal and think an MS rep would be great. Some players on here better than most others I've seen on other sites

Thor was actually the first person to come to mind among those I've played with but I know there are a bunch of heavy hitters
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:06 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 35, itlepip wrote:Just send Kuribo and then make sure he at least sends pics of the trophy back here.

Well i mean

You realize of course that my balls would be on the trophy
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
TheMainMan
TheMainMan
Ninja
TheMainMan
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 am

Post by TheMainMan »

In post 37, Dwlee99 wrote:Yo thingy could I play in the game withouta site to represent??

Hey Dwlee99

Unfortunately not :/. All representatives need to be picked and supported by a community. The concept is sort of elitist in that sense, which is regrettable, but the overall result and outcome of the first two seasons have definitely been that communities have been brought closer together, which is for sure a net positive. And it's just a whole lot of fun cheering for a representative along with the rest of your community :)
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

In post 40, TheMainMan wrote:
In post 37, Dwlee99 wrote:Yo thingy could I play in the game withouta site to represent??

Hey Dwlee99

Unfortunately not :/. All representatives need to be picked and supported by a community. The concept is sort of elitist in that sense, which is regrettable, but the overall result and outcome of the first two seasons have definitely been that communities have been brought closer together, which is for sure a net positive. And it's just a whole lot of fun cheering for a representative along with the rest of your community :)

rip in me losing rep for my site
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 40, TheMainMan wrote:

Hey Dwlee99

Hey thingy can I be ms rep without them "approving" it?
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by PantherPunt »

I'd approve just based on your avi
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 43, PantherPunt wrote:I'd approve just based on your avi

Fuck the steelers

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Post by PantherPunt »

But I'm pretty sure site mods would have to agree to participate and hold a poll/vote for rep.

Thingy is very official about this tourney from what I gather
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 44, kuribo wrote:

Fuck the steelers

Sorry you're a fan of baltimore Cleveland or Cincinnati. Or are otherwise just a jealous hater
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 46, PantherPunt wrote:
In post 44, kuribo wrote:

Fuck the steelers

Sorry you're a fan of baltimore Cleveland or Cincinnati. Or are otherwise just a jealous hater

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Post by talah »

Holy shit, I'd volunteer for a multi-site tourney and I'd revert to my old ways of being suspicious of everything.

You make a typo, you're scum shitbag.

(I'd just have to watch out on my own typos but I could probably cover for myself. Hey hypocrisy doesn't make me scum.)
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by talah »

Send Majiffy too because then if I'm bored I could awkwardly interact with him instead.

<3

Return to “Mafia Discussion”