Song Contest 62 - Votes and Behind the Scenes!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Post by JDodge »

In post 49, hitogoroshi wrote:I've won with Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire (folk-swing), Hudson Taylor (new folk, maybe folk-pop), The Ditty Bops (bubblegum pop), Beltaine (neoceltic), and Micheal Guy Bowman (electronic). Throw in my second and third placers, we get Less Than Jake (ska), Humanwine (dark cabaret), The Cat Empire (ska/funk), The Planets (orchestral), Matt Dusk (swing), Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (ska), The Format (indie), Toh Kay (hard to classify on his own: a dude with an acoustic guitar), Codeine Velvet Club (alt. rock), Reverend Glasseye and His Wooden Legs (dark cabaret).

A pretty eclectic mix of stuff gets to the top. There are certainly some trends: songs relying solely on the lyrics like traditional folk tend to do much worse, more immediate songs tend to do better, technically impressive stuff often gets very highly rated independently of what CDB would call the "Ipod test". But overall I think SC is only "easy to win" if you happen to have a really great song, which is sorta the idea and a good state of things. I mean, Ebb And Flow won, but I wouldn't say it's because you figured out the secret code of SC or something - you just found an incredible song, y'know?

On that note - I'm going to randomly link this as an example of a song that I love but wouldn't enter in the SC. This isn't being said in a spirit of "YOU PHILISTINES!" - it's just not conducive to the environment of the SC.

I actually disagree with the idea that the SC isn't easy to win - I have methods that I've used in the past to determine whether a song will be popular that have provable success. I would market test it through scumchat (which at the time contained a significant-ish portion of the Song Contest entrant base), use feedback to alter my entries to things that tested better, then went with it.

I used this method from contest 12 through contest 20, during which time I won twice, came 2nd twice, came 3rd twice, and had 3 top 5s (which were my lowest finishes). I then broke it when I entered Janelle Monae (which was entered because hey, free wins) and more importantly Michael Franti in contest 21. Since then, I've continued to have success based off of the knowledge gained through said method of market testing. I feel that if I want top 5 in any given contest, I can get it at the snap of my fingers. Winning takes a bit more effort but I can shop it through similar channels to see if it'll work.

I would highly recommend that people do not use this method in the future - it's really not worth the effort now that we have 60+ contests worth of data to look at if you really want to know what tends to win. In addition, there's no real pooling of standard Song Contest entrants (there is more of a rotating cast as opposed to the same people every time) like there was then, so it's not reliable. There's a very, very distinctive pattern and I'd kind of like to do more data testing (this is where I really wish Pandora's music genome project thing was open-source - if I could look up every winner I think we'd see a pattern of "tags" strewn throughout) on if I ever have the time.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Post by The Mini-Librarian »

My goal this time is to get at least one of you to air guitar my song.
White Room Mafia - A Mini Normal For 13 Players
in day 2
NEED A REPLACEMENT - PM ME
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 49, hitogoroshi wrote:There are certainly some trends: songs relying solely on the lyrics like traditional folk tend to do much worse
This is understandable, but a damn shame. One of the advantages vocals have over instrumentals is lyrics. They provide a means of thematic/emotional expression more powerful and versatile than anything that instrumentals can accomplish.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 52, Scigatt wrote:They provide a means of thematic/emotional expression
more powerful and versatile
different than anything that instrumentals can accomplish.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Post by JDodge »

So remember that whole SC live show thing I wanted to pilot? Still looking for people from somewhere between 6 PM and midnight EST tomorrow as a start time (not sure when exactly, will depend on peoples' availability. We'd be covering SC61 (since it's just a pilot, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's immediately relevant) so people who voted in that contest should be my target audience (or people willing to listen between now and the time we'd be doing stuff). Only necessary software is Mumble.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Post by N »

I'm quietly confident about my entry this contest.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 54, JDodge wrote:So remember that whole SC live show thing I wanted to pilot? Still looking for people from somewhere between 6 PM and midnight EST tomorrow as a start time (not sure when exactly, will depend on peoples' availability. We'd be covering SC61 (since it's just a pilot, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's immediately relevant) so people who voted in that contest should be my target audience (or people willing to listen between now and the time we'd be doing stuff). Only necessary software is Mumble.

Hi

Will probably be at scumhaus if this happens, just fyi
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 54, JDodge wrote:So remember that whole SC live show thing I wanted to pilot? Still looking for people from somewhere between 6 PM and midnight EST tomorrow as a start time (not sure when exactly, will depend on peoples' availability. We'd be covering SC61 (since it's just a pilot, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's immediately relevant) so people who voted in that contest should be my target audience (or people willing to listen between now and the time we'd be doing stuff). Only necessary software is Mumble.

You can call me maybe for this.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 53, quadz08 wrote:
In post 52, Scigatt wrote:They provide a means of thematic/emotional expression
more powerful and versatile
different than anything that instrumentals can accomplish.
Not just different. There are themes/ideas that cannot be expressed without some sort of full-fledged language, but this is getting off topic.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Post by Parama »

In post 57, AGar wrote:You can call me maybe for this.

thou shalt suffer
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

In post 41, Matias wrote:actually previewing it, EPM, I like it for what it is. It doesn't really fit into the mainstream and it seems really carefree. I like more talent-oriented things (Busdriver, Latyrx, Busta Rhymes) but this is just fine. I could put this into my background music and get pumped from it, it's mainly the beat that does it

NOT RACIST

Yeah Busdriver and Busta Rhymes are two of my favorites and I'm well aware of that smarter rap scene but I also really am getting into stuff like my entry. There's this like new wave of rappers who find clever ways to say stupid things and I think he's the forefront of them. His verses are aggressively self-destructive but always with a sense of humor and never with the sense of being intentionally contreversial for the sake of it like Eminem or Tyler the Creator
I play piano and competitive Smash 4 under the tag EPM
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

Also my entry is extremely talented. He's a genius with pop culture references, for instance
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Post by N »

In post 61, evilpacman18 wrote:Also my entry is extremely talented.

Are you entering yourself again?
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by Parama »

In post 61, evilpacman18 wrote:Also my entry is extremely talented. He's a genius with pop culture references, for instance

talent =/= quality
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

In post 62, N wrote:
In post 61, evilpacman18 wrote:Also my entry is extremely talented.

Are you entering yourself again?

Thank you! =)

In post 63, Parama wrote:
In post 61, evilpacman18 wrote:Also my entry is extremely talented. He's a genius with pop culture references, for instance

talent =/= quality

True so I guess it's good that he's got both
evilpacman18
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
evilpacman18
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Post by evilpacman18 »

How the fuck did soneone win with the format?
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 38, Hiraki wrote:
In post 35, Kublai Khan wrote:A better plan would be to change your music choice to something that doesn't suck.
funny

coming from you

Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:48 am

Post by Hiraki »

or

just statistical
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:09 am

Post by Knight of Cydonia »

If I had any idea how to use Mumble, sure.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

In post 66, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 38, Hiraki wrote:
In post 35, Kublai Khan wrote:A better plan would be to change your music choice to something that doesn't suck.
funny

coming from you

It's funny because Hiraki was right about you. :lol:
Permanent V/LA.
Matias
Matias
Mafia Scum
Matias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Post by Matias »

If there's one thing I know about KK's submissions, it's that he always submits something that either outright sucks or is good, but just barely not good enough to get points. He bounces between this frequently, but I don't mind his entries. They're not Sunn O))) bad at least.
Formerly DemonHybrid. I play mafia extremely occasionally. I run the Song Contest. You can find me there.
My GTKAS
My old account
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 am

I think that was Hiraki's point, in part. =P
Permanent V/LA.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 am

Post by Venmar »

Would be cooler and funner if less people trolled.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 70, Matias wrote:If there's one thing I know about KK's submissions, it's that he always submits something that either outright sucks or is good, but just barely not good enough to get points. He bounces between this frequently, but I don't mind his entries. They're not Sunn O))) bad at least.

That's because I try to submit stuff that 1) I like personally and 2) hopefully others haven't heard of. There's been a few entries that I know won't come close to winning, but maybe 1-2 people might really enjoy it (Bob Log III's "Boob Scotch" comes to mind).

If I wanted to win, I'd copy JDodge's strategy of submitting mostly pop entries.

And yeah, Hiraki is mostly right. Still means that I'll give him 0 points for submitting Uemetsu or anything similar to it.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Boob Scotch was a horrible affront to music.
Permanent V/LA.

Return to “General Discussion”