Mewbie: 2092 [Finished]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:28 pm

Post by Somnus »

I guess. I mean I kind of find full reads-lists pretty cringe. Like once in Day 1 is fine. I feel like it's something where people will look at you kind of funny if you do it several times a day on Day 1 outside of the Newbie Queue.
GoldfishFromTheMoon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/He/They/Xe

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:31 pm

Post by GoldfishFromTheMoon »

In post 750, Somnus wrote:I guess. I mean I kind of find full reads-lists pretty cringe. Like once in Day 1 is fine. I feel like it's something where people will look at you kind of funny if you do it several times a day on Day 1 outside of the Newbie Queue.
I very much agree, especially early game which is when most people seem to do it because half the players are a null anyway.
GoldfishFromTheMoon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/He/They/Xe

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:34 am

Post by GoldfishFromTheMoon »

I'm putting down a vote in case I don't have time tomorrow morning,
VOTE: Ryno56

I'm really really sorry if you are town, for what it's worth I like you as a person but you seem scummy this game, sorry.
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:38 am

Post by Somnus »

I'm really sorry too. Don't hate me.

VOTE: Ryno56
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:39 am

Post by Somnus »

Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 am

Post by Ryno56 »

I just came on to place my vote. Damn it, good play Somnus. I was THIS close to voting for you, but you outplayed me, and the rest. Well played!
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:27 am

Post by Somnus »

Thank-you and good game, Ryno. You two didn't make it easy by any stretch. No one in this game really did.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:28 am

Post by Ryno56 »

You really went hard on this last day.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:29 am

Post by Ryno56 »

It was like you came out guns blazing, expecting a fight
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:32 am

Post by Somnus »

Only other eLo I was in was over in like 10 posts, which was actually longer than I was expecting, considering both townies were tunneling on each other hard late Day 3. This was rough.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:39 am

Post by Ryno56 »

I think I should have put far more weight on the RCE-Goldfish interaction. If that was faked, it would have been genius.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:39 am

Post by Ryno56 »

I think I was on the right track with a few ideas, but I also learnt a lot whilst playing. I come out of this with more of a respect for the game of Mafia itself, as well as forum Mafia. Thanks to everyone who provided the opportunity for me to play, and to Malakittens for hosting!
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:43 am

Post by Somnus »

I'll post my overall thoughts at some point when the thread re-opens.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:56 am

Post by Ryno56 »

I still want to know why Goldfish scumread me the whole game, I never really got a good answer for that besides it being a gut feeling
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:56 am

Post by Ryno56 »

Being on the RCE bandwagon and the furtive nightkill was good evidence for me being townie. Not 100% solid, but those were good arguments in my favour.
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:03 am

Post by Somnus »

I'll let her answer that, but before I dip out until much later on today, I'd say:

1.) I agree with the fact that you putting Enigma at E-1 probably should have given you a lot more townie credit than it did.

2.) Disagree that the furtive nightkill makes you look good. I've either night-killed or been a part of 8 nightkills after somehow rolling mafia in all 3 games of mafia I've played, and more of them have town-read me than not. All 3 players in my 1st game that I night-killed town-read me, and 2 of the 3 nightkills in this game were townreading me when I killed them. It's one of those things I said as scum but it was the truth: Night-kill analysis is a pretty small piece of the puzzle and in my opinion, using it as a sole of primary case against someone rather than the things that you can prove they've said and done, doesn't really hold up. Again, just my humble opinion, but I enjoy the strategic discussion all the same.
Ryno56
Ryno56
Goon
Ryno56
Goon
Goon

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:09 am

Post by Ryno56 »

I know what you mean about nightkill analysis in general, but I think what was missing from the conversation is that a confirmed townie (Cat) was NOT killed that night. So the scum was giving up a clearly optimal move in favour of something else. If I was scum, no way would I kill furtive (who had me as locktown) over Cat (confirmed townie). Obviously you can't discount a scum doing that on purpose for WIFOM advantage, but only because it would be such an insane move. If I was scum at that point, I basically had the game on lock by killing Cat.

That's why I thought it was a clear piece of evidence pointing to YOU, who had something to gain by killing furtive over Cat. Furtive was clear that they suspected you.
Somnus
Somnus
Goon
Somnus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:22 am

Post by Somnus »

I checked the wiki to see if there's a name for that gambit where you leave alive a confirmed town PR and kill someone you know is a vanilla townie instead and didn't find it. I might be on to something here. For whatever it's worth, while it was strategic, in my defense, I also thought it would be really really funny. Enigma's style kind of rubbed off on me there, although I imagine he was cursing me out when he saw it...or laughing hysterically.

Anyway, I'll pop back in later today after the thread has been locked/unlocked. Good chattin' with you and good game.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:10 am

Post by Malakittens »

Ryno56 was eliminated. He was a vanilla Townie.
Goldfish was endgamed & he was a Vanilla Townie.

Sommus,Mafia Goon, has survived. Team of RC & Sommus has won

I’ll be making this prettier & changing the title once I’m awake. I really need to sleep I haven’t since Saturday night [unless you’re counting my 1hr stretcher nap on Sunday]
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:50 am

Post by RCEnigma »

Hope you can catch up on your rest Mala and ty for modding. Everyone else great game! You don't generally get player lists in newbie that are this good as people lose interest quick but every new player here is very promising. Scum just caught a lucky break here and Somnus balled out off the back of my exit.

If you want some personal notes on what I thought on your play and things I would look out for going forward I can oblige. Or like general thoughts on town play and scum hunting I can do that too.

Somnus I kept up after I took the L and I get you needing some time to step away after so many scum games. That said I think your town game is going to be pretty hard to get around when you finally roll green.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:14 am

Post by Alianna »

GG everyone!
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:41 am

Post by furtiveglance »

I enjoyed playing this one, well done to the mafia.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:03 am

Post by Alianna »

Scum played this very well. I'm interested to read the PT.
Well done to you too, furtive. Congrats on sniffing out both scumbags this time around.
furtiveglance
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
furtiveglance
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #773 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Post by furtiveglance »

In post 610, Alianna wrote: If Somnus is scum, they had options for who to push today. furtive is the person they accused the most, but they never mentioned townreading you or Ryno and seemed unsure of their townread on me. They may have decided they’d benefit more from just killing furtive, who was scumreading them pretty hard and defending an otherwise easy mislim.
This was the only correct nightkill analysis done after my untimely demise. Sometimes scum just kill people who will push them, simple as.
Cat.Jpeg
Cat.Jpeg
They/she
Goon
Cat.Jpeg
They/she
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: They/she

Post Post #774 (ISO) » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Post by Cat.Jpeg »

In post 747, GoldfishFromTheMoon wrote:
In post 744, Somnus wrote:Give me something though. You don't have to type a novel, but a couple of the traits Cat would recognize and how you tend to play as scum.
Ok,

As scum I wouldn't have claimed at E-2, And I probably would have fakeclaimed a PR in that situation (another thing on that point if I was scum with RCE don't you think I would have claimed tracker since I was the first of us to get close to elimination and the scum probably discussed the fakeclaim together)

The ACPA townblock definitely wouldn't have happened with scum!me, it just looks too suspicious and scum me is pretty cautious.

General tone is a thing.

As scum I'm a lot more confident then as town, being hedgy with my reads and randomly going back on stuff is a town trait for me, scum me likes to come up with more made up reads and analysis and then stick to them.
I didn't say exactly what I view as town traits from Goldfish because:
- I didn't want to sabotage her future games as mafia
- I didn't want her to know so clearly what I thought was townish or scummy from her because then she would be able to manipulate me easier
- It would be kinda hard to put some of the more vague things into words, I just had a vibe that Goldfish was very town this game, at least by the end of the game.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”