New newbie setups

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #775 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Post by BBmolla »

So glad I'm not a Newbie right now. That system would confuse the shit out of me.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #776 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 733, quadz08 wrote:It's not that complex for me; I've read through Vi/Tarhalindur games and seen some dumb shit. I'm concerned that for someone who's never played srsbsns ms mafia, the possible permutations of the newbie setup might be confusing.

Perhaps I'm overestimating how rough it is, though.

No you aren't. When i joined the site, i followed all the pinned topics saying YOU SHOULD PROBABLY PLAY A NEWBIE FIRST AS IT IS SIMPLE AND SHIT, and the whole variable setup stuff confused the FUCK out of me. If it was more of, you'll have one of these 4 definite setups, with an equal percent chance of each, then it would be less confusing. But Yeah. the 2 of 4 scared me to think about setups till someone in my game made a long detailed post of all possible setups and percent chances of each one.

TBH, of all the games where the setup was either open or semi open that I have played, the newbie was the most complicated for me to understand.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #777 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 742, gorckat wrote:I left out a 2x VT option on my table. My count was for 44 combinations. Did I double count?

If we run 20, 30, 40 games and the overall is balance is there, statistically we would have very few dupe setups. At the point we start having 5x dupes of a setup, if the overall balance is there, it still won't matter if a handful of setups are wildly off because the chance of getting them is so small. At the point we have an idea of what is/isn't working in those setups, they can be treated individually.

With only 6 setups, balance issues are very in the face and certain setups being almost auto-win seems quite frustrating. 44 options will make unbalanced setups fade to some extent, but still be easily modified when needed.

ADD: Overall balance with 44 setups in spite of a handful of unbalanced ones is more acceptable than in the case of 6. Reminds me of the joke about a mathematician, an engineer and a statistician hunting deer together.

They come across a deer in a meadow and crouch down. The mathematician calculates the distance and shot angle, takes a shot and is short, but the deer doesn't run. The engineer scoffs and makes some adjustments for wind, bullet weight, barrel length and takes a shot and is long. The statistician jumps up, "We got it!".

In post 743, quadz08 wrote:That is a particularly good joke, actually.

Made me laugh out loud, but i have a feeling most of the people i know irl wouldn't find it quite so funny.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”