Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 897, Shadow1psc wrote:Alright, so this is where I ended up in SoM-less reanimator. It draws well and doesn't often leave me without something to do. I'm either ramping up with pilgrim and draws, pitching key things with Scholar (who can also beat face, but probably shouldn't be), or even hardcasting Sigarda to kick things off. I think dissipate helps a bit, but it can be slow, so I'm not sure if I'd keep it.

Tips on the mana base (it seems to work much better than my Green/Red/Black experiment) or early game improvement?

deck here: http://mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/173178

If it were me, I'd want to splash red over green- gives you extra stall power with Arc Trail/Pillar of Flame, and gives access to Desolate Lighthouse and Faithless Looting, which seem really good. Plus, Forbidden Alchemy seems better than Amass the Components for this deck. Dissipate seems like it's too slow; I'd run Lingering Souls for chump blockers in that slot instead.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

i tried running red, I found faithless looting underwhelming. Arc Trail is leaving (I -LOVE- arc trail. The only reason I'm coming up with a new deck is because of the cripple budget delver is taking). You're right about forbidden alchemy being the card I want though, cheaper and definitely more efficient than amass. When I did my gatherer search I looked for things that say draw/discard. So that's a good get definitely. Lingering souls instead of Dissipate is great early game, absolutely dead card past turn 4-5, but I realize I'm looking for the early game improvement here, so maybe that IS the answer.

I hope to god BoP is getting reprinted in RtR, that would also change the deck up a little.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Lingering Souls isn't really dead late game- it still chump blocks. But as a card that keeps you alive until you can cast Unburial Rites, it's definitely superior.

Faithless Looting is difficult, since it's CD on the first cast, and CN on the flashback, but it digs and ditches pretty well. Tracker's Instincts could be good, too, but has the chance to wiff.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think you'd probably be better served only running one of each reanimation target (or picking 2 and cutting down to just four total reanimation slots.) so you can run some more defensive spells. I'd consider timely reinforcements.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 903, Thestatusquo wrote:I think you'd probably be better served only running one of each reanimation target (or picking 2 and cutting down to just four total reanimation slots.) so you can run some more defensive spells. I'd consider timely reinforcements.

Griselbrand was just thrown in there for fun, I settled on 2 each of the angels, and it seems to be the right number to make sure I have one as a turn 4-5 target. Any less and run the risk of just never seeing one in a lot of games it feels like. The land base feels fluid and on the nose. I got rid of Think Twice completely, and I'm thinking mulch is even not needed as a 4-of. Timely Reinforcements isn't being reprinted, so that's out, and is the same reason I'm not just running Birds (yet).

If I cut down to 3 mulch instead of 4, I have 4 slots available for some kind of defense. Dissipate back in?

Spoiler: Deck
Lands:

3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sunpetal Grove
2 Woodland Cemetery
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Forest
4 Island
3 Plains
2 Swamp

23 Lands

Creatures:

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
4 Civilized Scholar // Homicidal Brute

14 Creatures

Other Spells:

3 Mulch
4 Defy Death
4 Unburial Rites
4 Forbidden Alchemy
4 Lingering Souls

19 Other Spells
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Shea's suggestion is a good one; you generally only need about 4 targets, and the rest should be defense and dig. Timely Reinforcements is good; Midnight Haunting is good, too. Dissipate I think is going to be too slow in the meta; when you're facing down a lot of aggro, Dissipate stops one threat if they don't have Cavern of Souls. Lingering Souls and Timely Reinforcements can block over several turns until you get your fatties out.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:36 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 905, Sudo_Nym wrote:Shea's suggestion is a good one; you generally only need about 4 targets, and the rest should be defense and dig. Timely Reinforcements is good; Midnight Haunting is good, too. Dissipate I think is going to be too slow in the meta; when you're facing down a lot of aggro, Dissipate stops one threat if they don't have Cavern of Souls. Lingering Souls and Timely Reinforcements can block over several turns until you get your fatties out.

Again, unless I missed something, Timely Reinforcements is not legal in less than 12 hours. I thought about midnight haunting, but I can also hard cast a turn 4 sigarda, which if anything would maybe cause me to up that by 1, and then I only have 4 real 'reanimator' targets in 2x avacyn and 2x gisela.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 am

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 906, Shadow1psc wrote:Again, unless I missed something, Timely Reinforcements is not legal in less than 12 hours.

Pretty sure M12 doesn't rotate until October.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 907, InflatablePie wrote:
In post 906, Shadow1psc wrote:Again, unless I missed something, Timely Reinforcements is not legal in less than 12 hours.

M13 is legal tomorrow.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Fair, but the suggestion still stands, if maybe not that specific card. With mulch and draw the number of reanimation targets you have are excessive and I think will generally cause you to draw too many of them over the course of the game (read: 2.) Your deck really should be winning with one target on the field, so you need to play D and dig until you can drop your game changer, and I think having more defensive spells with win you more games than the extra reanimation targets, but what do I know.

Its obviously ultimately your call.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #910 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 908, Shadow1psc wrote:
In post 907, InflatablePie wrote:

M13 is legal tomorrow.

Core sets don't rotate with the new one anymore. They rotate with their block. So in October with RtR, Scars Block and M12 rotate out.

Also, it's like a 0.25 uncommmon. Shell out the dollar for the playset, you cheap fuck. :P
Last edited by bv310 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #911 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Oh wow, m12 and m13 are both legal until Scars rotates? That's... odd, is that recent?. Either way, I don't plan on investing in m12 the same way I don't plan on investing in anything SoM. I'd just have to replace it sooner rather than later anyway.

As far as multiple reanimation targets, it's always nice to have options. Having Avacyn and Sigarda on the field at the same time is even something pretty desirable, if the opponent still feels like fighting that (Terminus, Day of Judgement, w/e). Terminus in particular I'd be worried about, but that's what sideboarding is for I guess. In my test draws, I really like the flow of the deck with 6 angels, I think it's just something I'm convinced about, but I do now have 4 slots open (I got rid of think twice and a mulch).
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #912 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am

Post by bv310 »

It's been that way for a few years now.

Also, see the edit above, you cheap fuck.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #913 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 am

Post by AGar »

In standard, M12 doesn't rotate out until October 5th.

What is the point of having Civilized Scholar, to be honest? It's not really going to reliably flip I don't think, so I don't think you're using it to be aggressive (which you really don't want in this deck anyways). and it's not exactly great for getting those creatures into the graveyard. I'd more aim for something like Armored Skaab, that can sit back and defend and mills 4 when it comes into play in this deck.

Similarly, I don't think Pilgrim is going to really help you ramp all that quickly, because unless you put Cavern in, you really don't want to try hard-casting your Angels. Mana Leak and Vapor Snag don't rotate until October and odds are more often than not, actual ramp decks are going to have their fatties out first.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #914 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 am

Post by InflatablePie »

What're some good cards for a mostly casual GW Tokens deck? Preferably cheap (ie not Garruk/Ajani) and nothing from Scars block since it rotates soonish.

I'm asking because the part of me that loves silly combos is laughing hysterically at Cathars' Crusade + Fungal Sprouting + Essence of the Wild.

Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #915 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 912, bv310 wrote:It's been that way for a few years now.

Also, see the edit above, you cheap fuck.

This has a little more to do with OCD than anything. If I buy anything from M12, I will be compelled just to order the complete m12 playset of unc/com so I can make a binder for it like I have for ISD block. Now you've got me thinking it's a good idea, when my m13 set will be here in a few days... *twitch*
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #916 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:15 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 913, AGar wrote:In standard, M12 doesn't rotate out until October 5th.

What is the point of having Civilized Scholar, to be honest? It's not really going to reliably flip I don't think, so I don't think you're using it to be aggressive (which you really don't want in this deck anyways). and it's not exactly great for getting those creatures into the graveyard. I'd more aim for something like Armored Skaab, that can sit back and defend and mills 4 when it comes into play in this deck.

Similarly, I don't think Pilgrim is going to really help you ramp all that quickly, because unless you put Cavern in, you really don't want to try hard-casting your Angels. Mana Leak and Vapor Snag don't rotate until October and odds are more often than not, actual ramp decks are going to have their fatties out first.

Civilized Scholar isn't relying on the flip, I like his ability (and playing him turn 2). The nut draw would be something like Forest, Hinterland Harbor, Sunpetal Grove, Pilgrim, Scholar, Defy/Unburial and any angel. If you don't pull two more lands by turn 4 (odds are you'd pull one), you would have used scholar to pitch unburial turn 3 and you can pitch/reanimate your target turn 4. If you're stuck with defy death, you pitch the creature turn 3 and beat face if its available. You're not using Scholar with the thought of trying to get in with him. It'd be a rare plus, I just like the free card advantage per turn.

Maybe he's not the most elegant solution, but he's also a body. Mulch + Forbidden Alchemy is great though.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #917 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 am

Post by AGar »

I think Skaab fits the purpose of the deck personally, especially with the defensive capabilities. Pretty much the same thing as Scholar, just up front instead.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #918 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 917, AGar wrote:I think Skaab fits the purpose of the deck personally, especially with the defensive capabilities. Pretty much the same thing as Scholar, just up front instead.

I will try it!
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #919 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

Post by dramonic »

In post 914, InflatablePie wrote:What're some good cards for a mostly casual GW Tokens deck? Preferably cheap (ie not Garruk/Ajani) and nothing from Scars block since it rotates soonish.

I'm asking because the part of me that loves silly combos is laughing hysterically at Cathars' Crusade + Fungal Sprouting + Essence of the Wild.

increasing devotion =D
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #920 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Skaab seems so mediocre.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #921 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Skaab is really mediocre, unless you're really taking advantage of the mill. I was sorta working on a casual deck that used Armored Skaab to set up Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm, but outside of that, I doubt I'd play it.

It may work in reanimation, I guess, but I'd play Thought Scour first.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #922 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Post by bv310 »

In post 916, Shadow1psc wrote:
In post 913, AGar wrote:In standard, M12 doesn't rotate out until October 5th.

Civilized Scholar isn't relying on the flip, I like his ability (and playing him turn 2). The nut draw would be something like Forest, Hinterland Harbor, Sunpetal Grove, Pilgrim, Scholar, Defy/Unburial and any angel. If you don't pull two more lands by turn 4 (odds are you'd pull one), you would have used scholar to pitch unburial turn 3 and you can pitch/reanimate your target turn 4. If you're stuck with defy death, you pitch the creature turn 3 and beat face if its available. You're not using Scholar with the thought of trying to get in with him. It'd be a rare plus, I just like the free card advantage per turn.

Maybe he's not the most elegant solution, but he's also a body. Mulch + Forbidden Alchemy is great though.

If you want his ability, run Merfolk Looter. Scholar is overcosted for the effect.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #923 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Post by bv310 »

Also, CUBE IS BACK. We need to take over a Cube queue tonight.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do

Post Post #924 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 919, dramonic wrote:increasing devotion =D

oh sweet jesus I forgot about this card

cathars -> essence -> devotion -> flashback -> fungal

I know that takes multiple turns even with enough ramp (plus removals and counters) but if I ever pulled that off...

[edit] 1x 44/44, 5x 39/39, 10x 38/38, 22x 28/28 - inb4 terminus?

[edit2] after quickly putting together a deck and looking at my curve... I don't have enough card space for all the cards I want. ;_; EDH time?

Return to “The Arcade”