Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 948, dramonic wrote:I could be wrong, but I feel like you are gonna get murdered before you can do anything...

I feel like Phantasm is just too strong. It's fairly easy to get it into buffed status. Erasure is not in 2013.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 945, Shadow1psc wrote:Opinions on mono-blue mill post-SoM?

Running stuff like Jace's Phantasmal, Jace (Adept), Mind Sculpt, Dream Twist, Bloody Tome, and shriekgeist. Elixir for obvious utility, I figure Dissipate isn't too slow for this deck so missing mana leak doesn't hurt as much. There's that bounce spell for 1 in the ISD block, name escapes me. It's not exactly vapor snag, but it'll do. Thoughts?

Mill is literally never viable. Like..They print cards for it fairly regularly, and its never really high tier. I don't think these cards are any better than, say, brainfreeze et al, or the merfolk milling option that was in lorwyn, and those decks weren't good.

Furthermore, I don't think the meta is conducive to this sort of strategy. While you're durdling about Delver is just going to be killing you. Wolf Run is just going to be killing you. Zombies is just going to be killing you. In order to beat these matches you need to be playing all sorts of tempo cards yourself, and in which case why aren't you just playing that deck in the first place.

there's not even what I would call a pure control deck that's popular right now which would be your good matchup. The closest is Delverless Delver, and they run the tempo cards that are going to kill you anyway.

Shrug. I think you can build it. I dont think it'll be any good.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:34 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Yeah, I realize the current meta is aggro, tempo, and more aggro. I just wanted something fun and cheap to do in FNM, I can run boros or tokens in any standard competitive scenario.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Well, sure. If you just want a crazy deck to run in standard thats fine. Don't expect it to be particularly good. If you're looking for something fairly cheap to throw together, rogue, and also not that far from being completely competitively viable, check this deck out:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... en-summer/

I'm considering throwing this together myself. It just looks so fun to play. Who doesn't want to drop Craterhoof and pwn??
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Lol... that's awesome. I may build that on MTGO for the price.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mill is generally never viable. Either you have to play Combo with a mill finish, or TurboFog. UG Self-Mill, however, could be quite interesting as a rogue deck. But I think we discussed that already.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I just dont think this format is slow enough for anything other than dedicated aggro or tempo to survive.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've tested TurboFog a bit, and it's actually a reasonable tier 2 deck, but it won't be when it loses Rites of Flourishing. There's enough Fog effects in the current standard to support it. UG Self-Mill is reasonable, too, but it's basically an aggro deck when built right- Splinterfright, Boneyard Wurm, Ghoultree, and Kessig Cagebreakers are a real beating if they're set up.

I have seen some control decks do alright, with Lingering Souls, Timely Reinforcements, and Pristine Talisman, but none good enough to be tier one.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 947, Shadow1psc wrote:Yeah, Erasure is great with think twice/amass/jace's abilities in general. Does losing it hurt
that
much?

This is where I'm currently at. I'll have to play test this when I get home, but I'd like to order my Jace's now so they're here for FNM/Saturday standard. Is there a hard-fast rule about # of planeswalkers in a deck? In a deck like this is Jace a 4-of? I figured 3 was good due to his cost.

Spoiler: Deck

No Mindshrieker?
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

Post by bv310 »

U/G Self-mill is actually pretty fun. My version has Postmortem Lunge for surprise-Cagebreakers
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 958, bv310 wrote:
In post 947, Shadow1psc wrote:Yeah, Erasure is great with think twice/amass/jace's abilities in general. Does losing it hurt
that
much?

This is where I'm currently at. I'll have to play test this when I get home, but I'd like to order my Jace's now so they're here for FNM/Saturday standard. Is there a hard-fast rule about # of planeswalkers in a deck? In a deck like this is Jace a 4-of? I figured 3 was good due to his cost.

Spoiler: Deck

No Mindshrieker?

Hmm. I'm not sure if I like that better than having Jace's Phantasm. Paying 2 to mill one card seems counterproductive, my goal is not to aggro them to death, but it could be an alternate win condition. Flyers are always nice.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #961 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

Post by bv310 »

Have them both.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #962 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

I'd probably sideboard it in if I wanted more bodies and the utility, I don't know what I'd replace in my list currently. Suggestions?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #963 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Silent departure. That card is just not good.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #964 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:58 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Yeah, it's certainly no vapor snag. I never intended it for flashing back, that's for sure.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #965 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 am

Post by dramonic »

Out of curiosity, why no Archive Trap?
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #966 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:46 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

It's not standard legal?
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #967 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 am

Post by dramonic »

So what IS legal then?
I'm really confused <.<
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #968 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

SOM block, ISD block, m12, m13 currently make up Standard.

In October, RTR block will replace SOM, so standard legal sets will include ISD block, m13, RTR block.

Extended (someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's changed since I last played) is now the last 4 blocks? Zendikar, Alara, SOM, and ISD + 2010-2013? Something like that.

Then there's modern, which (again, I don't remember exactly) is anything post 8th(9th?) edition I think. I should probably just look these up...

Oh hey, I was right. One tiny addendum, Modern is any core set after 8th + any block starting from Mirrodin and forward. Modern (currently) does not change, and I would think is named such because Mirrodin was about the time magic became more fast paced. Odyssey and Onslaught were still kinda slow, maybe not as slow as Invasion, but Mirrodin was a definite shift.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #969 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:29 am

Post by AGar »

Modern is named Modern because it's all the cards that use the new card frames (the redesign occurred with 8th Edition).
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #970 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

That also makes sense I guess.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #971 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:05 am

Post by AGar »

Also, since Modern became a thing, I don't think anyone really plays Extended anymore.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #972 (ISO) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

In post 971, AGar wrote:Also, since Modern became a thing, I don't think anyone really plays Extended anymore.

Yeah, I miss the days of just type 1, 1.5 and 2.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #973 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:09 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

So I made that green deck in MtGO, but substituted some things for what's not out from m13 yet. I put in champion of lambholdt and Garruk's horde... makes for hilarious plays. I am now also considering running two Primal Surge. JUST THINK ABOUT IT.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #974 (ISO) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Primal surge seems like such a win more card. I would rather just drop a beater.

Return to “The Arcade”