GTKAS - Norinel

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

GTKAS - Norinel

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 am

Post by Andycyca »

Hi! You may write a short "about me" before starting.

Where are you from?
What is your best skill?
What's your best accomplishment on MafiaScum?
What is your hobby?
What's the most important thing in a friend?
What's the most important thing in a co-worker?
Do you have any long-term project? Which one?
What other internets do you recommend us?
Best thing about being a Mafia player?
Could you please tell us a joke?
You have $20k and a big house. Would you host a Meet? If yes, who would you invite first?
Favorite...
...alcoholic drink?
...non-alcoholic drink?
...food?
...musician (yes, includes composers and performers)?
...movie?
...actor?
...actress?
...mafia role?
...mafia alignment?
...card game?
...online activity?
...game (pen-and-paper, electronic or whatever)?
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:36 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Where are you? Please provide space-time coordinates.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Post by Drench »

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man?
join your union
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, then where's the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked? Give your answer three times fast.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Post by Talitha »

Are you a guy?

Are you sure?
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Post by xofelf »

hi?

if i post questions in your thread, will you post them in mine?

If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be and why?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Post by JDodge »

xofelf wrote:if i post questions in your thread, will you post them in mine?
On a scale of 1-10, how much does this scream "attention whore"?
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 am

Post by xofelf »

JDodge wrote:
xofelf wrote:if i post questions in your thread, will you post them in mine?
On a scale of 1-10, how much does this scream "attention whore"?
Why thank you, JD. Coming from you this is almost a compliment as you are more insulting to everyone else. Though it's not attention more than it is i like to ask and answer questions... that's all.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Post by Norinel »

Andycyca wrote:Hi! You may write a short "about me" before starting.
I am really old by site standards (Pre The Crash, and of the generation that says the 2003 Crash was the only crash that ought to be called The Crash) presently on hiatus from playing, though I still follow discussions and stuff. So a lot of you don't really know me, but I might start playing again once I figure out what's going on with my life.

Where are you from?

Born in Michigan, presently in North Carolina.

What is your best skill?

Analytical problem solving, especially when dealing with systems that act predictably. It's why I like programming and why I like the game mechanic & night game side of Mafia.

What's your best accomplishment on MafiaScum?

Getting the Newbie Queue off the ground. I wasn't the best List Mod, but I snuck some terminology in there that's still used to this day- C9 and IC are both mine.

What is your hobby?

Right now, it's gaming offline with friends. Rock Band has been popular, but Dominion and other board games are where it's at right now.

What's the most important thing in a friend?

For a non-close friend, the ability to do things together and have fun. For a close friend, the ability to make the other person better- either by supporting them, challenging them, or helping them reach their goals.

What's the most important thing in a co-worker?

Basic responsibility. If I send you an e-mail asking you to do something, you do it or tell me as soon as you can that you can't. Reminders should be unnecessary.

Do you have any long-term project? Which one?

Right now, it's putting my life together for the next few months. Not in a bad sense as much as a graduating-and-moving sense. Afterwards, I'll probably find random creative stuff- maybe more Mafia stuff, maybe writing, who knows.

What other internets do you recommend us?

jayisgames.com, thedailywtf.com, playthisthing.com, boardgamegeek.com

Best thing about being a Mafia player?

Crazy Internet discussions that matter.

Could you please tell us a joke?

So this guy who tells all the "an X walked into a bar" jokes walked into a bar. He looked around for a punchline.

You have $20k and a big house. Would you host a Meet? If yes, who would you invite first?

Sure. I'd post a general thread to invite everyone, but probably PM/e-mail a lot of the greats from my "generation"

Favorite...
...alcoholic drink? Don't.
...non-alcoholic drink? Sprite's classic. Don't know why anyone needs anything else.
...food? This one particular brand of egg noodle.
...musician (yes, includes composers and performers)? An old friend who did the whole acoustic guitar around a campfire thing. I like his rendition of Tribute better than the original.
...movie? I don't do Bests Ever for this sort of thing; the best I saw in the last year or two was Dark Knight.
...actor? Don't watch enough to decide.
...actress? Ditto.
...mafia role? Doctor
...mafia alignment? I don't play evil enough, and it's far less stressful.
...card game? Masquerade
...online activity? Surfing jayisgames and playing whatever comes up just enough to get a taste.
...game (pen-and-paper, electronic or whatever)? The Game (or its variants, puzzlehunts and such) would have to be at the top of my list, just to pull in the "whatever".
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by Adel »

what is your working definition for "normal mafia game"?

What do you think of the deep south mechanic?

Which deadline policy would be least likely to produce a slow and dull 12 player mini normal mafia game full of lurking:
a. no deadlines
b. 2 calendar days for each living player
c. 1.5 calendar days for each living player; unused days left over when the lynch occurs are added to the next day's deadline.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:43 am

Post by Norinel »

DrippingGoofball wrote:Where are you? Please provide space-time coordinates.
A dorm room in a North Carolina university.
Drench wrote:Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man?
Not a Family Guy fan, but the video made me smile.
Sudo_Nym wrote:If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, then where's the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked? Give your answer three times fast.
Peter Piper's pants pocket, Peter Piper's pants pocket, Peter Piper's pants pocket.
Talitha wrote:Are you a guy?
Yup.

Are you sure?
Ha.
xofelf wrote:hi?
Hi!
if i post questions in your thread, will you post them in mine?
To be honest, I'm not too much of a GD fan outside of a handful of threads I keep an eye on, and GTKAS isn't one of them.
If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be and why?
For a nonobvious one, I'd do clairvoyance.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by Drench »

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled advertising droid?
join your union
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 am

Post by Norinel »

Adel wrote:what is your working definition for "normal mafia game"?
Whatever mith says it is. Personally, the "normal mechanics" side of normal is more important than "no flavor". I approximately define normal mechanics as, essentially, nothing the players need to be advised about before the game: the public ruleset should be functionally standard except for a few cases which are generally the mod's call, (Deadline policies, twilight rules, etc.) and the vast majority of roles should be things we've seen before. But I'm all for spicing it up with 2-3 roles that people haven't seen before, so long as they're combinations of mechanics that are common.
What do you think of the deep south mechanic?
My biggest concern is that there needs to be a stronger precedent for how role actions work, so that you can have a closed Deep South game and players know approximately what to expect. My second biggest concern is that I hate with a burning passion arbitrary timing-related mechanics (Like a lot of people implement twilight, which is a whole other issue) because they punish people who are in obscure timezones or only get on daily or so. A properly designed semi-open game eliminates both of those issues, and would be interesting enough to try.

I also don't think Nights are bad for pace or anything. I enjoy having a 3-4 day break whether I'm modding or playing, and the large amount of new information gives people something to get initial momentum.
Which deadline policy would be least likely to produce a slow and dull 12 player mini normal mafia game full of lurking:
a. no deadlines
b. 2 calendar days for each living player
c. 1.5 calendar days for each living player; unused days left over when the lynch occurs are added to the next day's deadline.
I think I was doing scaling fixed deadlines pretty early, (Starting with Himalayan Mafia in 2006) and I have no intention of going back; the only reason my non-Newbie games haven't since then was that I forgot to warn people in signups. So a's right out.

B vs. C- I think the worst day for running up against a fixed deadline is Day 1, so the potentially longer future days aren't a significant reward. I don't know if people would go for them anyway, though, and I also think an 18 day Day 1 is a little short by my standards anyway, which'd make me tend towards B. Either way, though, I think any fixed deadline policy goes a good way towards enforcing pace (Since you know how far into the day you are), and refinements aren't nearly as significant.
Drench wrote:Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled advertising droid?
Heh.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:21 am

Post by Adel »

I starting thinking about what you said about timezones.
  • c.1. 1.5 calendar days for each living player; unused
    days
    left over when the lynch occurs are added to the next day's deadline.
    c.2. 1.5 calendar days for each living player; unused
    hours
    left over when the lynch occurs are added to the next day's deadline.
Do you think that c.2. would be more fair or less fair to players in minority time zones?

~~~

What do you think of Ayn Rand's Obectivism?

What is an example of a Universal Truth?

What does your favorite axiom taste like?

What do you think of this excerpt from Anathem by Neal Stephenson?:
“I have a few Laterran friends now,” I said, “and one of them, the other say, was telling me about a philosopher named Emerson who had some useful upsights about the difference between poets and mystics. I’m thinking that it’s just as applicable in our cosmos as it is in his.”

“I’ll bite. What’s that difference?”

“The mystic nails a symbol to one meaning that was true for a moment but soon becomes false. The poet, on the other hand, sees that truth while it’s true but understands that symbols are always in flux and that their meanings are fleeting.” [...] “Anyway, my point is that guys like Flec have a weakness, almost a kind of addiction, for the mystical, as opposed to the poetic, way of using their minds. And there’s an optimistic side of me that says such a person could break that addiction, be retrained to think like a poet, and accept the fluxional nature of symbols and meaning.”

“Okay, but what’s the pessimistic side telling you?”

“That the poet’s way is a feature of the brain, a specific organ or faculty, that you either have or you don’t. And that those who have it are doomed to be at war forever with those who don’t.”

Return to “General Discussion”