Polyamory

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #619 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Actually the law does exist to protect the sanctity of my
religious
ceremony. The Catholic Church sets its own standards for who they allow to be married and the government doesn't get a say in that.

The tax "benefits" of marriage only exist if one spouse has very little income. Otherwise, married people are usually worse off under the tax laws. There are plenty of government favours that work better for unmarried couples than for married ones. I would say the only real benefit from the government is social security and then to a lesser extent the bundle of contracts that establish rights of survivorship and powers of attorney. Most people get married for the concept behind it, not the legal benefits. Otherwise civil unions would be a done deal and the homosexual community would be happy.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #697 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:57 am

Post by HackerHuck »

Nikanor wrote:I'm pretty sure that monogamy is implied when you're dating someone.
This thought process is what that causes many misunderstandings in relationships. While it's been well over ten years since I've been in the dating pool, I would say that is probably not even the majority opinion. I would also wager that the split of opinion differs greatly based on gender, age, and even where you live.

If you assume that dating someone implies monogamy, you are bound to be hurt by someone who doesn't even realise they are hurting you.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #707 (isolation #2) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Nikanor wrote:
HH wrote:This thought process is what that causes many misunderstandings in relationships. While it's been well over ten years since I've been in the dating pool, I would say that is probably not even the majority opinion. I would also wager that the split of opinion differs greatly based on gender, age, and even where you live.
You mean to say that, where you live, most people don't consider dating two or more people at once to be scummy? Assuming you don't live in Bountiful or something, I find that a little hard to believe. And to make myself clear, I don't mean to say that one or two dates can even qualify as a relationship, let alone a monogamous one. After two weeks, though, I would like to able to assume that the person is interested in me enough that she stops dating other people.
Is the reference to Bountiful some kind of Utah/Polygamy thing?

Ultimately it comes down to the definition of 'dating'. Everybody knows what a date is, but dating itself means different things to different people. It's not unlike many things in this world. One tends to assume that others see things the same way as they do, but that's often not the case. You've just said that someone should know in two weeks that they're interested enough to stop seeing anyone else. That's fair, but what do you mean by interested enough? Does that mean she sees you as marriage material or that she just enjoys your company? There are a lot of people who go out on dates even when they're not looking for or even ready for a relationship.

I'm guessing that you're pretty young, since you said that two weeks was enough time, but one or two dates isn't enough. There's obviously nothing wrong with your outlook, but be sure to keep in mind that a lot of people you run across won't have the same mindset. If it's going to bother you that someone is dating others after a couple of weeks, you're going to want to have that conversation sooner rather than later.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #711 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Fate - if you value your job, I'd break it off with both of the work girls. Even if you pick a 'winner' and manage to break it off gently with the other one, it's bound to end poorly for you.

Return to “General Discussion”