Mini 1140 - Mafia Mishmash...Game Over!!

havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Mini 1140 - Mafia Mishmash...Game Over!!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:14 am

Post by havingfitz »

Welcome to Mini Normal 1140 - Mafia Mishmash.

Thanks to reviewers Hoopla, SpyreX and MichaelSableHeart and to whomever I borrowed and tweaked my rules from.

Something’s not right in your town. Murders are occurring. Old ladies are falling and can’t get up. There may be weapons of mass destruction hidden in the area (though I doubt it). You need to band together with your fellow town members and eliminate the cause of all the mischief before the cause of all the mischief eliminates you!

Player’s alive:

3. Regfan

5. Maxous

6. vollkan

11. subgenius *

Players dead:

banned loser
- Weak Doctor,
Lynched Day 1
2. pappums rat
- Vanilla Townie, shot dead Night 1

12. tclawren
- Town Sledgehammer, stabbed too much Night 1

1. Andrew94
- Serial Killer,
Hung till dead on Day 2
4. Surprise_Carcinogen
- Town Cop,
Shot Night 2.
13. Haylen
yura-chi
- Mafia Godfather
Lynched Day 3.
8. Scott Brosius
curiouskarmadog
- Vanilla Townie,
Shot Night 3.
7. Hinduragi
CryMeARiver Truant
- Mafia Goon
Lynched Day 4.
9. bgg1996
- Vanilla Townie,
Shot Night 4.

Links of interest:
* Indicates the number of prods a player has received.

Spoiler: RULES
Rules To Not Break:

1. Mafia is a game. Please try to have fun while playing it. Blatant personal attacks on other players will result in warning optional modkill and auto-loss to the offending player.
2. You have been given a win condition and it is your job to try and fulfill it. Do not deliberately play against your win condition and/or deliberately hurt your faction with your play.
3. Do not quote your role PM. Do not quote from any mod-provided private QT. Both these will result in modkill and auto-loss.
4. Talking about the game outside the thread or any mod-provided QT is forbidden. Unless the offense is incredibly minor (i.e. brief mention of the game without discussing any of its content), this will result in a modkill and auto-loss.
5. If you have the ability to edit or delete your posts, do not do so, this will result in a modkill and auto-loss.
6. Unreadable text is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to cyphers, incredibly small text and invisible text.
7. Dead players may not speak in the thread once they are dead. Not even a simple “Bah” post.

Rules Of Voting And Deadlines:

8. Votes must be bolded and in the form
Vote: Havingfitz
. I suggest using the vote button when placing your vote to ensure it is formatted properly and easily noticed.
9. You have the option to
Vote: No Lynch
10. Unvotes are not required but should be bolded when used.
11. A lynch occurs when a majority is reached. For an odd number of players, this is (n+1)/2. For an even number of players, this is (n/2)+1. For example, Day 1 will have 13 players alive, and ((13+1)/2) = 7 votes to lynch.
12. After a lynch or no lynch occurs the thread will be locked once I announce the result. Posting can continue until the thread is locked.
13. Day 1 will last 3 weeks. All future days will last 2 weeks. All nights will last 72 hours.
14. If no player reaches a majority of votes by the deadline on a given day, No Lynch will occur.
15. If a player does not submit a night action by the end of any given night, they will not act that night.

Rules Of Activity And Prods:

16. If a player goes 72 hours without posting in-thread, they will be prodded. If they do not post in-thread within 24 hours following a prod, they will be replaced.
17. Please let your mod know if you will be on V/LA – post it in-thread and bolded.
18. Players are allowed two prods. Player replacement takes the place of a third prod.
19. Players may request a prod on another player if a player has gone without posting for 72 hours and I have missed prodding them.

Rules Unrelated To The Previous Categories:

20. Though I am the mod, I'm not exempt from making mistakes. If I screw up something, please PM me and point it out.
21. My color is
blue
. Do not use it.
22. Vote counts will be posted at my discretion and by request if necessary.
23. Anything game related that needs brought to my attention (ie votecount and prod requests, v/LAs, etc) must be bolded and preferably start with “Mod, “

Spoiler: Sample Vanilla Town PM
Hi. Welcome to Mafia Mishmash. Please see your role PM below:
Rolename: You are a Vanilla Townie
Abilities: Each day you may discuss with your fellow players and vote to lynch someone. You have no other special powers.
Win condition: You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Please confirm to me via PM stating your role name. Thanks.
Last edited by havingfitz on Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 am, edited 58 times in total.
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 am

Post by havingfitz »

PMs going out now. The game will begin once I have received ten confirmations.

havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Post by havingfitz »

That's ten. I'm opening the post for play and will give more modly info tomorrow....it's late here and time for sleep.

subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Post by subgenius »

Then the game is afoot.

After slaughtering a goat earlier today and examining its entrails, I have determined that one of the murderers has more numbers than letters in his name. The goat entrails have never lead me wrong before, Therefor...

VOTE: bgg1996
tclawren
tclawren
Goon
tclawren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Post by tclawren »

I'm super excited about this, it's been a while since I've played a serious game of mafia. :P

I detest RV's so I think I'll keep my vote in my pocket. (I know what they're supposed to do, I just don't think it really does it.)

Looking forward to outing some scum. :wink:
Looking for a hydra partner. Must be someone I respect as a player and a person. PM me if you're interested.
tclawren
tclawren
Goon
tclawren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Post by tclawren »

Also you can just call me token if you want.
Looking for a hydra partner. Must be someone I respect as a player and a person. PM me if you're interested.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Post by Surprise_Carcinogen »

Vote:tclawren

Avoiding rvs is complete lack of progress, and so...:D
"But he will not be drinking delicious juice, oh no. He will be choking down a world of hot piss and it will serve him right for liking all those dumbass movies unironically." - Dave Strider
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Post by Regfan »

tclawren wrote: I detest RV's so I think I'll keep my vote in my pocket. (I know what they're supposed to do, I just don't think it really does it.)
:wink:
I couldn't agree with this more, I don't see any real logic behind random-voting in an attempt to gauge reactions as people know that's the intention is.

Lets get the ball rolling, I have some questions for all of you:

1. What's your time-zone
2. Have you played with anyone in here before, if so what was their play-style like? (Remember you can't mention ongoing games)
3. Do you prefer being town or mafia generally?
4. How often are you likely to post?
5. Do you generally like leading or following?

As for the answers to my own questions:

1. GMT + 11, I live in Sydney Australia thus my posting schedule will be different to yours.
2. I don't believe so, correct me if I'm wrong though.
3. Town for sure, I thoroughly enjoy scum-hunting.
4. Quite often, likelyhood is once or twice a day.
5. Leading without a doubt.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:08 pm

1. A vaguely relavent question. Mountain GMT - 7
2. Metagaming is at BEST as illogical as RVS, if not a LOT less so.
3. Irrelavent. Everyone is going to say "Town" to keep suspicion off of themselves. In keeping with this, I shall say Mafia.
5. I disagree with the concept of anybody 'leading' the town, since that's kind of a scum-tell.
"But he will not be drinking delicious juice, oh no. He will be choking down a world of hot piss and it will serve him right for liking all those dumbass movies unironically." - Dave Strider
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by Regfan »

Surprise_Carcinogen wrote:2. Metagaming is at BEST as illogical as RVS, if not a LOT less so.
Not at all, metagaming certaintly isn't concerete or something you would base a case of, but it's still highly relevant to the game.
Surprise_Carcinogen wrote:3. Irrelavent. Everyone is going to say "Town" to keep suspicion off of themselves. In keeping with this, I shall say Mafia.
Assuming everyone will say town is a horrible assumption to make, I've seen and played in several games where people have stated scum or third party, again it's not something I'd use to base a lynch but it allows discussion to get started.
Surprise_Carcinogen wrote:4. How often are you likely to post?
Any particular reason you don't want to answer this?
Surprise_Carcinogen wrote: 5. I disagree with the concept of anybody 'leading' the town, since that's kind of a scum-tell.
If leading a scum-tell, and following is a scum-tell then what do you consider not to be one?
tclawren
tclawren
Goon
tclawren
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Post by tclawren »

1. Eastern Time USA GMT-5
2. Nope.
3. Hmm... this question is going to spark debate about the summiness of the responses. Not sure if it will actually help though. Regardless the answer is town. My scum game needs work.
4. hopefully pretty regularly. School will start up again Monday so probably every night or so when that hits. Of course there will be the occasional night off.
5. The idea of one person leading is really silly. Everyone should think for themselves. That doesn't mean you can't try and persuade others, but ultimately there shouldn't be a "leader" and there shouldn't be any "followers." Ideally.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes. That is also an adequate description of RVS.

3 is, simply put, a GREAT excuse for Wine in Front of Me, and not REALLY able to be anything but muddying the waters.

I forgot to answer 4. I'll post fairly often. I'm on pretty well every day for at least 4 or 5 hours sitting here and hitting f5, heh.

I didn't say following was a scum-tell, but leading the town certainly is. Making a case =/= leading.
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Post by subgenius »

1. EST
2. Negative
3. I haven't played enough games to have formed an opinion on this yet.
4. Pretty frequently.
5. I haven't played a ton of games, so I'm still working on this. On the one hand, you can't have a town full of leaders, but sheeping can be dangerous depending on who's doing the leading. That said, I prefer to do my own work when scum hunting.

I've played 2 full games, if anyone is wondering.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Post by vollkan »

First off, a public service announcement for those who I haven't played with before:
1) I use a points system to keep track of scumtells. Each person has a score ranging from 0 = absolute town, to 100 = absolute scum.
2) Each person starts at 50. A score of 50 means "I do not see a preponderance of town-ness or scumminess". Thus, a score of 50 does not mean "I have no opinion on this person". The reason I emphasise this will become clear in 3.
3) I am extremely sceptical of towntells and more-sceptical-than-average of scumtells. The towntells part is the big thing - it is extremely difficult for people to go below 50. It's not impossible - but it is really difficult (ie. "X is being really logical and posting a lot" will never be a towntell for me)

At this point in time, the points scale is:
PlayerScore
Andrew9450
pappums rat50
Regfan50
Surprise_Carcinogen50
Maxous50
Truant50
curiouskarmadog50
bgg199650
Magnetic50
subgenius50
tclawren50
yura-chi50

Regfan wrote: I couldn't agree with this more, I don't see any real logic behind random-voting in an attempt to gauge reactions as people know that's the intention is.
What do you think RVs are meant to achieve?
Regfan wrote:

1. What's your time-zone
2. Have you played with anyone in here before, if so what was their play-style like? (Remember you can't mention ongoing games)
3. Do you prefer being town or mafia generally?
5. Do you generally like leading or following?
1. GMT+10
2. I've played a large number of games with CKD. I can't really define his playstyle, other than saying I think he's a good player.
3. Mafia
4. I tend to make a small number of large posts, especially as there becomes more material to read - unless I feel that I am onto something really good.
5. I don't care either way about "leading" (my playstyle means that I sometimes do end up leading, but it's rarely intentional). However, I hate following.
Truant
Truant
Goon
Truant
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Post by Truant »

1) CST
2) I might've played with a couple people on a different account
3) Doesn't matter, I die as both anyways.
4) Not as often as a lot of people, working odd hours affects that, which means my CST isn't exactly "accurate".
5) Depends on the game; without a leader that I trust, I'll try to lead since if pressure isn't applied in a cohesive way it's easier for scum to slip through the cracks.

Vote: tclawren
Since if you're not going to vote, your vote should at least be on your sleeve and not in your pocket.
RAWR!
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Post by Regfan »

Tclawren: The idea of one person leading is really silly. Everyone should think for themselves. That doesn't mean you can't try and persuade others, but ultimately there shouldn't be a "leader" and there shouldn't be any "followers." Ideally.
Where did 'one person leading' come from, everyone does indeed think for themselves though every player has a tendancy to lead or follow in the game of mafia, thus what the question is about.
Suprise_Carcinogen: I didn't say following was a scum-tell, but leading the town certainly is. Making a case =/= leading.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm used to the idea that if someone is leading they're doing so by pushing a case.
Volkan: What do you think RVs are meant to achieve?
I think RV's are used to gather reactions from players as well as sparking discussions around these votes, though I've never seen these discussions lead to the catching of a mafia.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I have played in two games on this site. In one of them, mafia was caught first day thanks to RV reactions. Also, the arguments and discussions of RV don't ONLY apply day 1. Who dies on night 1 can also be used to build a case.

And no, making a case isn't leading. Although, to be honest, you've taken on the role of 'leading the town' and are also asking some seriously leading questions at this point, MOST of which accomplish NOTHING. So far, we've learned very little, since any answer given can be taken either way. And, WIFOM arguments put me ill at ease.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by Regfan »

Suprise_Carcinogen: I have played in two games on this site. In one of them, mafia was caught first day thanks to RV reactions. Also, the arguments and discussions of RV don't ONLY apply day 1. Who dies on night 1 can also be used to build a case
Can you show me a link to this game please?
And no, making a case isn't leading. Although, to be honest, you've taken on the role of 'leading the town' and are also asking some seriously leading questions at this point, MOST of which accomplish NOTHING. So far, we've learned very little, since any answer given can be taken either way. And, WIFOM arguments put me ill at ease.
Do you think the questions harm us? You didn't answer my question though, what do you believe to be leading if not making a case (Questioning people? If so how is that scummy?).

As for Wifom, I think it's severely over and misused.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:20 pm

As for WIFOM, I think it's severely over and misused. <---- Explain this more please.

And yes, they do harm us. Questions that muddy the water, and can be used as either proof positive or negative waste time, and can easily be used to form cases either way.

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=16073 Scum dead D1
pappums rat
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Post by pappums rat »

subgenius wrote:Then the game is afoot.

After slaughtering a goat earlier today and examining its entrails, I have determined that one of the murderers has more numbers than letters in his name. The goat entrails have never lead me wrong before, Therefor...

VOTE: bgg1996
oh my god, this is sheer brilliance. what a perfect way to find scum. i agree with the case on him and will vote accordingly.

vote bgg1996

vollkan, your points system seems to contradict what the guy in your avatar is yelling.

1. i prefer to keep my whereabouts a mystery.
2. i replaced into mini 1086 after vollkan had already died.
3. both have their ups and downs.
4. as often as i can.
5. i generally just rant and rave and if someone agrees with me then great, otherwise i will be right with or w/o other people. if a player is obvtown though i will follow them.

also,
hos tclawren
for not joining rvs.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Post by vollkan »

pappum wrote: vollkan, your points system seems to contradict what the guy in your avatar is yelling.
My avatar is meant to be expressing anger at the use of "gut". FWIW, if I have a schtick on this site, it's for hating gut-based play.

Among the justifications for my points system is that it directly ties every single suspicion I have to specific reasons. (eg. if I find something scummy, I say why and then say, eg,
+5
. What this means is that my suspicions are always clearly linked to specific reasons.)
Pappums wrote: also, hos tclawren for not joining rvs.
Why do you think this is scummy?
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Honestly, I ALWAYS consider refusing to RVS to be at least a little scummy. Not enough to suspect someone on it's own, but still a point to look back at in the future.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 pm

I should say, refusing to partake of rvs is a little scummy because it prevents us from getting a read on that person. "I refuse to partake of RVS" is a nice way of saying "lurking time!"
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Post by Regfan »

@ Suprise_Carcinogen: I just spectated that game posted, and the lynch on mafia day one had nothing to do with RVS so, again can you show me a game where RVS directly led to a lynch of mafia D1?

As for Wifom, I believe people often rule comments of as 'Wifom' without fully reading into them, a lot of comments that can be considered Wifom by some player are actually highly logical posts. Let me see if I can find the comment I made about this about a year ago at this site, should have it up in my next post.
Surpise_Carcinogen: And yes, they do harm us. Questions that muddy the water, and can be used as either proof positive or negative waste time, and can easily be used to form cases either way.
If you don't think they're relevant wouldn't you just ignore them if someone were to bring them up for a case, infact wouldn't they allow misleading information for someone to attempt to abuse thus allowing you to find a scum-tell on someone that does so?
Pappumsrat: also, hos tclawren for not joining rvs.
I didn't join the RVS either, how come you have a HoS on him for that but not on me?
I should say, refusing to partake of rvs is a little scummy because it prevents us from getting a read on that person. "I refuse to partake of RVS" is a nice way of saying "lurking time!"
Not participating in the RVS doesn't mean you're not attempting to contibute and are lurking, that's a false assumption.
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Post by subgenius »

vollkan wrote: My avatar is meant to be expressing anger at the use of "gut". FWIW, if I have a schtick on this site, it's for hating gut-based play.

Among the justifications for my points system is that it directly ties every single suspicion I have to specific reasons. (eg. if I find something scummy, I say why and then say, eg,
+5
. What this means is that my suspicions are always clearly linked to specific reasons.)
Hm, seems like a pretty powerful tool for giving your completely subjective observations a false air of objectivity. I do not like it. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it in action for at least a little while, but I trust well reasoned cases better than I trust a tally of isolated scum tells.

@pappums
I appreciate that you respect my divination skills to such an extent that you will follow my lead even while directing an HoS at somebody else. Why would you not vote for your own suspect? Did you slaughter your own goat, or did you use an ouija board?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”