Normal 10 (Intrigue Mafia) - Deadline: March 18th 11am.

cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Normal 10 (Intrigue Mafia) - Deadline: March 18th 11am.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:29 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Current Update:

Day 1. post post post post.

Alive (30):

DOWNTOWN (8):
Sketchwick (replacing ambic)
Angel Fish
CaptainBlicero
d8p
DoomCow
Green Crayons
Nightmare Dragoon
Werebear

EAST-SIDE (8):
Corsato
Darkblade
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Slayer
jeep
PolarBoy
Polotet
Porro

UP-TOWN (7):
Gaspode
Mackay
mathcam
mikegoo
RubberDuck
SaberKitty
warrior4037

WEST-SIDE (7):
Bobacino
Dourgrim
jadesmar
Kelvin
Leonidas
Night Stalker
Tigris
Last edited by cuban smoker on Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:29 am

Post by cuban smoker »

Welcome to small-town Canada, where hockey is a way of life, movies are cheap to film, and everyone has a story. The influence of movies and horrible news has become too much for this little town, and many people are beginning to emulate what they see on TV. Some say there are some extremists who are even willing to begin killing people as part of their craft. The town bands together to eliminate the evildoers; and well, the rest could be its own movie…

Intrigue Mafia

Standard mafiascum rules apply, as well as the following addition mechanics:

We start on Day 1.

Every morning I will post the front page of the paper as my way of communicating the night’s happenings. See down below for your first edition.

You have each been assigned a role, as well as a neighbourhood. The 4 neighbourhoods are Downtown, Uptown, East-Side and West-Side. Each neighbourhood is responsible for electing one of its members to the town council. This will occur at night by secret ballot. Your first election night is tonight. You may vote for one person (including yourself) in your neighbourhood. I will NOT wait to collect all the votes before ending the night. The person in each riding who receives the most votes will be elected to council. The second place person will be elected as vice rep. In the event of a tie for first, no rep will be elected, and in the event of a tie for second, no vice rep will be elected. Terms last for 3 days. Any night following a day where a riding has no council rep OR after the 3 day term is over will be an election night for that riding (different ridings can have elections on different days).

Rep duties: The council rep has 2 main advantages. If at any time all the reps of the council are voting for someone, that person will be lynched, and the day will end. Second, any night following a day where a person was in jail (this may become relevant later), the council may cast a secret ballot for each person in jail, determining what to do with the prisoner. The 3 choices are: Release, Imprison, Execute.

The vice rep has no duties, and no vote on council, except he becomes the rep if the current rep dies, and fills out the remaining term. If a rep is killed the same night he is elected, the vice will serve all 3 days of the term.

If there are less than 2 people on council there is a lack of quorum, and the council’s abilities are revoked until quorum is found.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:17 am

Post by cuban smoker »

The GLOBE and MAIL

Issue 1

TOWN COUNCIL FOUND MURDERED!

The members of the town council were discovered early this morning, their bodies dumped in the back alley behind a local bordello. The mayor was not among the dead, and he is believed to be resting peacefully in his home. Law enforcement officers refused to comment, and it is apparent that no leads have surfaced. However, local citizens are concerned the mafia could be responsible for the killings. One informant, who wishes not to be named, has suggested the mafia are trying to take control of the council.

EMERGENCY ELECTIONS HELD FOR TOWN COUNCIL POSITIONS

Elections will be conducted tonight by secret ballot. Elections are being held in each riding, and the mayor will continue to hold the seat at the head of the council. We will be following the new elections race closely. Look in future issues for election results.

SPORTS: BOX SCORES

In the first games of the season, the Downtown Maple Leafs only managed one goal against the East-Side Canadians, who won the match 3-1. The Uptown Senators edged out the West-Side Canucks 4-3. We look forward to an exciting season!

<< no need to confirm... day has started... just post! >>

edited to fix jeep's typo.
Last edited by cuban smoker on Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:42 am

Post by mathcam »

Yes, yes, yes! Take that, canucks. Off to another undefeated season here in Uptown.

On a more serious note, we have things to discuss.

First, we should discuss (and this applies at least to my neighborhood, but other people are welcome to listen in) whether or not we should discuss who we're going to try to elect in the daytime. We wouldn't want to make clear targets for the mafia...thereby also leaving us without representation for the day. Maybe we can find a way to communicate in secret?

Second, I wonder if it wouldn't be the smartest play to keep the neighborhoods balanced in terms of numbers...it's very unclear to me what kind of special roles are out there. It seems quite likely to me that the strength of some mafia member/team might depend highly on how large their neighborhood is. Consequently, I'm going to vote somewhat non-randomly (see below) from one of the two neighborhoods with 8 people.

Third, the distribution of people into the various neighborhoods looks highly non-random to me, though I might just be paranoid. Look at the abundance of "Po" and "D" names in East-Side, and "M" names in Uptown. This might suggest something in terms of distribution of roles. For example, given that it's non-random, there's a good chance that the mafia are fairly evenly distributed between the neighborhoods. Specifically, it appears to me that perhaps Doomcow was originally in East-Side, when the names were organized alphabetically, but that he was moved to enact some kind of balance of mafia. Of course, this is just a wild theory and should be taken with several grains of salt, though I believe it's better than random.

Vote: Doomcow

Fourth, this is the first time I've been the first non-moderator poster in a thread. This seems like very important information.

Cam
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:43 am

Post by jeep »

CS, I assume there should be a Y on EMERCENC...

One informant, who wishes not to be named, has suggested the mafia are trying to take control of the council.

OK, like the deal with Patrician in Discworld and the watch in Mafia 6, I think we should use a random method for determining council. The NYSE method is definitely a good random method that is easily verifiable. Take the last digit of tomorrow's DJIA, arrange each group in alphabetical order, then count down that many. If it's >9 (or 8 for Uptown and West-side) then we use another index- say S&P500.

Now, for wild theories... without night results, this is tough:

Of 30 people it's somewhat expected that there will be up to 7 bad guys. Two mafia groups are possible as is one mafia group and multiple serial killer type roles...

Bad Guys:
Possibly two groups of 3 with one independant SK type role
Possibly one group of 5 and one SK team (of 2?) with special abilities...

Those are the two I lean towards.

Town Council:
BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR VOTE. I should bold that and make it large, but I won't. You are like the judges in Salem. I know that when I was a judge AND witch, I test voted to see if I could find two other judges. If you are not mafia, I do not suggest that you do that! The town council will be identified (at least mostly id'd) after they cause the first lynch. This is a powerful role for the mafia to get. If you are pro-town and get this role, be VERY certain you want the person you vote for lynched.

Sports: Go east side! Anyone have ideas what this is hinting at? I assume it's good for our group to win.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:45 am

Post by jeep »

Also, the "COUNIL" should probably be Council... doesn't this town have a newspaper editor?

Hmm... could the missing letters mean anything? We'll see if they get corrected or not.

BAH at me previewing my post and not getting in first...

-JEEP
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:49 am

Post by mathcam »

Sorry, got confused for a second. I'll will now unvote my illegal vote for DoomCow and write what I meant to write:

FOS: DoomCow

Jeep, I'm leaning toward your second option of one bigger mafia and some SK's out there, but I"m not sure. I kind of feel like the sports pages were comic relief with no bearing on the game, though I could very well be wrong.

Cam
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:53 am

Post by jeep »

d8p, even if your post is a mistake, it is EXTREMELY unethical to delete posts in mafia games.

Yay! 1st to post!

There was a little more, but I didn't catch it. I assume this was a newbie mistake. Everyone makes mistakes when they are young. Under my guidance, you will grow to be a strong and goo mafia hunter.

mathcam: Why was it illegal to vote Doomcow?

If the newspaper isn't "editted" I will vote randomly between Green Crayons and Mackay, the only two people with both a C and a Y in their names.

-JEEP
d8P
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
d8P
The "I told you so" guy
The "I told you so" guy

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:08 am

Post by d8P »

:oops:
Sorry, I didn't know. won't happen again
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:15 am

Post by cuban smoker »

The newspaper has been edited. :p

Town council results will be announced tomorrow morning. That is, the council will not be a secret body. The council will be composed of the mayor, and up to 4 elected reps. The council requires 3 members for quorum.

DO NOT VOTE FOR COUNCIL NOW! Vote for council at night, and only for people in your neighbourhood. I will NOT wait for council votes before starting a new day.

You may vote to lynch anyody. A town majority still causes a lynch. Specifically,
there are 16 requried to lynch

The purpose of starting during the day was to allow you to run election campaigns and give everyone a chance to post! Yay! I did not expect a lynch to happen today, but you are certainly able and welcome to do so.
Angel Fish
Angel Fish
Townie
Angel Fish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:29 am

Post by Angel Fish »

Query, for the maths types; are we statistically better off lynching, d'you think?

Instinctively I don't like the idea of lynching for absolutely no reason at all. Perhaps I should be more empathetic towards the poor, dead council ;)
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:35 am

Post by jeep »

edited to fix jeep's typo.

They weren't MY typos... :P

d8p, it's ok, as far as I'm concerned. Now you know. Editting and deleting posts are no-nos. Even when you type "goo" instead of "good" like I did. I don't mean to sound like a father scolding his daughter, but... you gotta learn somehow.

OK, so should we lynch someone today? I generally think the town should lynch first day because the town gains information with each person that is lynched. HOWEVER, since we know that this game has no regular townies AND no one has information from last night, we are likely to get more information from the night time actions. So I am leaning slightly towards not lynching today, simply determining who should be on the council.

The fact that the council is known is good for the town. I took the analogy to the Salem judges a little too far, it seems. The mafia cannot secretly get someone other than the decided person on the council. We cannot have any subtle guidance from cop-type roles, so it looks like we essentially vote randomly.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am

Post by Gaspode »

That's a good idea to consider, but maybe we should use this unusual day start to our advantage...this would be a good topic to use to kick-start the discussion. Not only would it help to decide whether or not to lynch, it could start a discussion that could expose some scum. What do you think, town? Lynch or no lynch?
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:47 am

Post by Gaspode »

Sorry, the "idea to consider" is the idea in Angel Fish's post. Jeep posted while I was typing mine.
Darkblade
Darkblade
Goon
Darkblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:48 am

Post by Darkblade »

Go East side! We will crush all in sports!

On a more real note, I think it is important that we choose experianced people for the council over a random vote, as their positions are important to a town victory. I have an idea that will help this process without giving too much away to the mafia. Each person who is interested in being voted should post a small summary as to why they think they are the best at catching mafia. The catch is, the people not running will not post who they are leaning towards. This way, the mafia will have a much tougher time figureing out who are the council members. What do you guys think of this idea?
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:57 am

Post by Dourgrim »

OK... on the lynch vs. no-lynch debate: I think randomly lynching on Day One is usually a good idea, but with everyone having a role, we may not want to do so until we gain the night info a game usually begins us with (i.e. who was murdered, by whom, etc). Therefore I say we do NOT lynch today and instead just take care of the Council elections.

As far as that goes... the problem I see with voting in specific people vs. using a random method is that then we fall victim to campaigning propaganda. Also, simply voting in experienced players gives those players an edge if they happen to be scum. Random is the way to go... although honestly, I have no freakin' clue how to implement jeep's stock market system. :D I must be having a dumb day or something...
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:24 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

I concur with dourgrim, voting based on experience can be very dangerous if these experienced players all turn out to be scum. It may be best to vote for no council the first night so that we end up in a no-quorum situation and voting power remains in the hands of the town for the early part of the game. This doesn't even seem like day one, it's more like "day 0" the way we don't have any information. I say we don't lynch today and wait for a real day one to start making accusations.

Vote: No Lynch

Oh and...My campaign slogan for council. East-siders, a vote for PolarBoy is a vote for me. Catchy eh?
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
warrior4037
warrior4037
Watcher
warrior4037
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:23 pm

Post by warrior4037 »

vote: no lynch
for all the reasons that everyone has said it doesn't really make sense especially if there are a large (but obviously not overly large) number of mafia people. Anyway my campaign slogan is: A vote for me is a really wasted vote... (So don't waste your vote, put it to good use by voting for someone else)
Polotet
Polotet
Townie
Polotet
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by Polotet »

Angel Fish wrote:Query, for the maths types; are we statistically better off lynching, d'you think?

I think there's an article (y'know, on mafiascum.net) that shows it would be better not to lynch. And I don't think it's a good idea to lynch so randomly.
Vote: no lynch
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:29 pm

Post by jeep »

It may be best to vote for no council the first night so that we end up in a no-quorum situation

That is unlikely to be a good idea... it gives the mafia the chance to pick who they want on the council. I think we should come to an agreement on who should be in the council and go from there. Not voting should be considered and then discarded as a bad idea.

-JEEP
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:05 pm

Post by Green Crayons »

Vote: No lynch
; though i do hope that all these roles out there are able to find something worthwhile to go on.

As for the night time voting.. eh. Campaigning is worthless, people (well, at least i am) are going to vote for either A) themself, B) someone they trust the most based on previous games, or, if they're scum C) someone that would probably draw attention away from themself in such an important position.

Yeah. I already have my vote in mind. Not quite sure why we started with a day, either.
mikegoo
mikegoo
Watcher
mikegoo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Post by mikegoo »

you will grow to be a strong and goo mafia hunter.

Thanks Jeep...and I thought you didn't like how I played 8O .
jadesmar
jadesmar
Goon
jadesmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:41 pm

Post by jadesmar »

Let's see, I am rooting for the Canucks? Bah!. Let's try to keep this realistic, eh!. :)
You must be drunk 'cuz you're all blurry.
RubberDuck
RubberDuck
Townie
RubberDuck
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:03 pm

Post by RubberDuck »

Vote:No Lynch
Rubberducky you're the one.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim