Open 437: Town of Semi-Nightless Plots (Game Over)

Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #875 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

lol oops I forgot what tag I was using to do that vote, either my mind is telling me that is is wrong, or I'm just not concernating on that bit of it, though I still feel this is worth a shot
VOTE: Greygnarl
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #876 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:22 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Minds are unreliable. Go with my gut.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #877 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 am

Or just look at Mr. K's reaction to this whole shebang.

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #878 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:17 am

Post by Equinox »

Vote Count 4.05
greygnarl (5) - andrew94, Mr.K, seilkops, Voidedmafia, Cheery Dog

Mr.K (3) - Hiraki, Cogito Ergo Sum, greygnarl

Not Voting (0)

With 8 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Thursday, October 11, 2012, at 8:40 PM EDT (UTC-4).[/area]
Mod Notes

Mr.K is V/LA until October 8.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #879 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 am

Post by Equinox »

The deaths of a mafioso and a private investigator had apparently sent the townspeople into a frenzy. greygnarl had, of course, expected this to happen, but the looks he received from the people he had passed by today unsettled him. They could not possibly be accusing him of that murder, could they? As he approached the fountain in the town square, he noted that the gathering was bigger and louder than it had been in previous days. While this, too, was not outside of the realm of possibilities he had considered last night, there seemed to be something wrong with this crowd, but he had to press onward. He had nearly reached the fountain when he recognized a familiar face in the crowd. The butler smiled at him. Of course there was that expectant gleam in his eyes. They had worked so hard together, and he had assured greygnarl that today was a critical juncture.

A loud shout came from behind greygnarl, and, before he could turn around to determine the source, he was pushed over the ledge of the fountain and into the water. He struggled to push away the arms holding him down, but there were so many. As he turned to look for another way to escape, he saw again that smiling, expectant face, the face that had assured him that today was the day that would determine whether they would succeed or fail. He blinked, and the face vanished, leaving greygnarl alone with his assailants. He needed air, but all around him was water, endless water, and the only way to go from the top was down. Down greygnarl went, down and down, away from the things he had not yet come to regret.

greygnarl,
mafia goon
, was lynched on Day 4!

A win condition has been fulfilled!

The victory celebrations lasted for three days. For a long time after that, nothing was heard from the mafia group that once held a tight grip on the town, and its people returned to their everyday lives. Without the constant threat of sabotage and violence, business thrived, and the town prospered more than ever before. It wasn't until several months after the lynchings that the police found the body of an old man at the bottom of a lake some ways away from the town, his feet buried in a cinder block. While this discovery had caused quite a stir, there were no leads, and the news soon faded from the people's consciousness.

A new don sat behind his desk, his hand holding an broken glass. Sometime ago, he had slammed it down in fury and spilled all of his beloved wine when he had heard the news from his subordinates. They were new hires, fresh off the street, and the thing that they had to screw up was this. Not for the first time, he grieved the loss of two good men. However, like all the other times, the remorse did not last long; he had to dispose of them sooner or later, and what better way to have done that than to let the townspeople execute them for their crimes? Now, there was still work to be done. He raised his glass to drink it but sipped at nothing. That was all right. All he could do now, drunk as he was, was to await news of success. Anything less would not be acceptable.

andrew94, Cheery Dog, Cogito Ergo Sum, Hiraki, Mr.K, seilkops, and Voidedmafia,
townies
, survive and win the game for the town!
Last edited by Equinox on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #880 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:37 am

Post by Equinox »

Roles

Mafia Goon: greygnarl
Mafia Goon:
Pressed Bunson
TeChNoWC
Townie: andrew94
Townie: Cheery Dog
Townie: funkybike1
Townie: Hiraki
Townie: Mr.K
Townie: ProsecutorGodot
Townie: seilkops
Townie:
Sisterman
Cogito Ergo Sum
Townie: Voidedmafia

Actions

Night 3

greygnarl kills ProsecutorGodot (successful)

QuickTopics

Graveyard: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/MH2X5qxMtHV3
Mafia: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/2dg95JUVta9A (revealed in post 890)

Thank you all for playing and keeping this active, and special thanks to Cogito Ergo Sum and TeChNoWC for replacing.

Not much to say here, really. Despite the No Lynch on Day 2, town did pretty well. I think the scum did well with what they had; not being able to kill the first couple of Nights did a number on the team, but TeChNoWC managed to last another Day and give greygnarl some extra time to work with.

What did you think of the setup?
Last edited by Equinox on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #881 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Wow wasn't actually expecting that vote change to win this. I just had the same feeling as I was having when I unvoted Godot yesterday that I really just wanted this day to end so I could look at things afresh with something giving more information than an unexpected nightkill.

This was actually an enjoyable game, though it may have come from just getting the win, during some of the earlier days I was finding it a bit dull.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #882 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:22 am

Uh, I guess gg flipping scum also works.

That was a fun game with a very decent standard of play all round.

Mr.K
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #883 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:43 am

Post by Mr.K »

Wow, gg and thanks to andrew94 for pointing out what I first missed (gg's comment that made it seem like Tech is going to flip scum)!

If CES is still curious for some reason, I thought you voted for me because my vote on gg seemed opportunistic at the point when I did it. What I meant by thinking it through was that I thought that at that point someone really had to put more pressure on gg so I did it even though I knew it might have looked scummy. gg said earlier something about how he sees votes as being weapons to add pressure. While I don't necessarily see things the same way, it seemed evident that he did so I used my vote to add pressure. Unfortunately you decided to change wagons so that pressure was a bit useless.

All in all we obviously played very well - just look at the results!

Not sure if I should say anything about the setup since I've only played very basic setups to begin with but I liked it still.
Mr.K
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #884 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 am

Post by Mr.K »

(the first gg is supposed to mean 'good game' - I realize it's a bit confusing with gg being greygnarl as well :D)
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #885 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 am

Mr. K, that wasn't why but that seems like a pretty townie guess.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #886 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Eh, I guess I did alright. I shouldn't have been so...uptight in why I was following CES onto Techno for so long, though.

Mr. K and Cheery were admittedly only side people after about D2, in that I didn't really think of them much (they were just "more-or-less town until further notice"). Most of my attention was on CES, PG, Techno, and GG half the time, and while I'm glad that this didn't affect my play very much, I still think it shows some degredation in my ability that I need to fix.

My only main complaint is really toward PG. I know you were indecisive and all, but I would highly stress that securing ANY lynch the first couple of days is more important than whether or not you think the wagoned people are town. The act of not getting a lynch puts you in a bad light the next day (as you witnessed yourself D3), and it can't always be so easily dissolved like it was, and even if you DO lynch at townie, it can still give you information for your reads (for instance, I think that, if I had been lynched D2, Techno would've looked worse and might've been easier to lynch D3). Of course, that doesn't always mean the benefits outweigh the risks, but in this case I think they do.

I get the feeling that the way Techno interacted with GG D3 (with the whole spat about GG claiming Techno was lashing out, mainly) kinda helped secure at least Techno's lynch. I still maintain that the anger you put into your response to him just didn't feel natural at all, and on reflection GG's own statement felt rather weak on it's own (regardless of whether or not his point was valid). I think the two of you did pretty good, all things considered; it's just some bad decisions that undid you two.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
ProsecutorGodot
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
ProsecutorGodot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #887 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:48 am

Post by ProsecutorGodot »

Huh. Never would've thought greygnarl was the second scum with what was going on.

I've noticed a pattern in my 5 completed games so far: whenever I die, the game ends the next day.

Lesson learned: no-lynch is never an option unless it's MyLo.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #888 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

In post 887, ProsecutorGodot wrote:Huh. Never would've thought greygnarl was the second scum with what was going on.

I don't think he would've escaped more than a day, to be honest. Maybe your death even hastened his (since you were still gonna be gunned after D4 and all).

I've noticed a pattern in my 5 completed games so far: whenever I die, the game ends the next day.

lol.

Lesson learned: no-lynch is never an option unless it's MyLo.

Very much so. I'm sure there's some cases where no-lynch is an option, but those are very few and far between, and in a game like this, doing so on D1 or D2 is a big, fat no-no.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #889 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Post by andrew94 »

My apologies for defending Techscum. i thought he was town T_T
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
greygnarl
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
greygnarl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #890 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Post by greygnarl »

http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/2dg95JUVta9A

Great game. I thought I could've held out longer but I think that my real undoing was going against Techno's lynch for so long.
seilkops
seilkops
Goon
seilkops
Goon
Goon

Post Post #891 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Post by seilkops »

OMG I was right. I was terrified GG was going to flip town or something.

Great game everyone, really enjoyed it.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #892 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I think this game would have played a hell of a lot differently had CES not been so hellbent on getting Techno lynched from day 1.

I therefore congratulate that read.
seilkops
seilkops
Goon
seilkops
Goon
Goon

Post Post #893 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Post by seilkops »

I lol'd at that quick topic GG. Just so you know, my case on you in the start was total crap, I think. I originally was going for a joke, but it was really lame, and no one got it, so it quickly became "this was actually a reaction test". Which it really was not.
seilkops
seilkops
Goon
seilkops
Goon
Goon

Post Post #894 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Post by seilkops »

How do you guys think I did?

@Mod
I really liked this setup and your flavors were pretty nice! Thanks for letting me in this game. Any ideas on what I should improve on?
TeChNoWC
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #895 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Post by TeChNoWC »

In post 890, greygnarl wrote:http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/2dg95JUVta9A

Great game. I thought I could've held out longer but I think that my real undoing was going against Techno's lynch for so long.

That wasn't your undoing. Your major undoing was your scumslip just after my hammer; if I hadn't have said the 'I'm town' thing, it probably wouldn't have been as bad either.

GG, you could have gone a lot further if you hadn't mentioned the superbussing thing when you did. I shouldn't have brought that up in the QT. I knew it would bite you in the arse.

Next time tho, be more subtle about it, and don't do it as soon as a flip (or EVEN worse, before a flip has occured).

IMO, CES really looked like scum to me. If I was another town player (eg Voided) I would have pushed the fuck out of the techno lynch AND a CES lynch MERELY due to association and NOTHING else. It looked like a classic case of 'grind the buddy into the ground for supercred'.

PG kill was dumb, GG. He was your meatshield for a day, EVEN with my death. Read what people say. They thought he was scummy independent of whether I was scum or town. You still could have got that lynch through and you personally wouldn't have had to put the effort in.
"TeCh was a textbook pro-town obv town all-around town townie.
the entire town decided to lobotomize itself and lynch the most obvious townie in the game" crypto
"Techno played a hell of a scum game, one of my best newbie scum players" bv310
"Tech, you carried my fat ass, that Vig shot took more balls then I had" AP
TeChNoWC
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #896 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Post by TeChNoWC »

Oh, and CES and andrew played very well.
"TeCh was a textbook pro-town obv town all-around town townie.
the entire town decided to lobotomize itself and lynch the most obvious townie in the game" crypto
"Techno played a hell of a scum game, one of my best newbie scum players" bv310
"Tech, you carried my fat ass, that Vig shot took more balls then I had" AP
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #897 (ISO) » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Post by andrew94 »

In post 894, seilkops wrote:How do you guys think I did?

@Mod
I really liked this setup and your flavors were pretty nice! Thanks for letting me in this game. Any ideas on what I should improve on?

did you really put a case on me because i put a case on you btw?
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
Mr.K
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #898 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am

Post by Mr.K »

In post 890, greygnarl wrote:http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/2dg95JUVta9A

Yeah, I agree with Tech - to me the biggest mistake was the scumslip and to me there wasn't really any way out of it anymore. Obviously CES felt differently, dunno why!

I also was thinking that CES was starting to look scummier to me when he suddenly hopped onto my wagon. I was still counting on him to realize that I was town but had he pushed far enough to actually get me lynched, I think that "supercred" would have started crumbling pretty nicely. Don't think he would have made it until the end as scum but considering how mindlessly some people were sheeping him, who knows. I WAS considering the bussing possibility now too but I think he did it so early that the disadvantages would have been greater than the advantages.
Mr.K
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Mr.K
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #899 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 am

Post by Mr.K »

Oh yeah, and also the self-vote basically confirmed you... even further imo. I couldn't see any sense in it as town but it could have been a desperate attempt from a scum. Think it might have even worked since you almost got out of the spotlight :P

Return to “Completed Open Games”