Mini 1376 - Mafia by the River (Game Over)

Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Mini 1376 - Mafia by the River (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Post by Tierce »

Life in Woodland Creek is not eventful. A small town that time forgot sixty years ago, it is a serene hideout for those whose lives do not require a daily commute to the big city beyond the mountains. Everyone knows everyone and no one locks their door at night; even crime seems to be unaware of this little town's existence.

Until now. Last Sunday, Mr. Wheeler missed the morning service. Then the town meeting that evening. When he did not drop by the store the following morning, Mrs. Jones sent her daughter to check on the house across Main Street.

Little Rose's horrified scream would change Woodland Creek forever.

Welcome to...
Mafia by the River

Game status:

Game Over

Moderator:
Tierce
Reviewers:
Cogito Ergo Sum, Regfan, Vi

Original Playerlist:

1. charter*
  2. deadjoker*
  3. FaerieLord
  4. havingfitz (replaced rapidcanyon D1 who replaced FourTrouble D1)
  5. Gregory*
  6. HerrRudi
  7. image*
  8. mykonian
  9. DeasVail (replaced obliteratedbyfireflies D1)
  10. ChannelDelibird*** (replaced Peabody D1)
  11. Nachomamma8 (replaced Coron D2 who replaced Redcolbalt D1)
  12. Shadoweh
  13. snifit

Spoiler: Living
  1. havingfitz (replaced rapidcanyon D1 who replaced FourTrouble D1),
    Vanilla Townie
    , survived Day 5
  2. Gregory,
    Vanilla Townie
    , survived Day 5
  3. Nachomamma8 (replaced Coron D2 who replaced Redcolbalt D1),
    Vanilla Townie
    , survived Day 5
  4. Shadoweh,
    Vanilla Townie
    , survived Day 5

Spoiler: Dead
  1. deadjoker,
    Vanilla Townie
    , lynched Day 1
  2. HerrRudi,
    Mason
    , died Night 1
  3. charter,
    Vanilla Townie
    , lynched Day 2
  4. FaerieLord,
    Bodyguard
    , died Night 2
  5. mykonian,
    Mafia Roleblocker
    , lynched Day 3
  6. DeasVail (replaced obliteratedbyfireflies D1),
    Follower
    , died Night 3
  7. image,
    Mafia Roleblocker
    , lynched Day 4
  8. snifit,
    Mason
    , died Night 4
  9. ChannelDelibird (replaced Peabody D1),
    Mafia Goon
    , lynched Day 5

Replacements:

• callforjudgement
    rapidcanyon

ChannelDelibird

Events:

Last edited by Tierce on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am, edited 28 times in total.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Post by Tierce »

Game Rules

(shamelessly stolen from Magua and callforjudgement)

General Rules

1. The site-wide rules apply. Read them, know them, love them, do not break them.
  2. Play to win.
  3. Do not edit or delete your posts in this thread. If there is a problem with a post, such as incorrect formatting, ask me to fix it for you.
  4. Do not quote communications outside the game thread, including role PMs, quicktopics, etc., in the game thread. This specifically includes PM timestamps. Paraphrasing is allowed. If in doubt, ask.
  5. Do not use cryptography, invisible text, tiny text, or the like.
  6. Do not use any form of provable randomness. Claiming you rolled dice and acting on that is fine. Using dice tags is not.
  7. Do not impersonate or pretend to be the moderator. If I edit a post, I will use the ooc tag. Do not use this tag.
  8. Unless the moderator has specifically told you it is allowed, do not talk about this game outside of this game thread until it is completed.
  9. Do not bring outside factors into this game. This includes, among other things, making bets, promises of real life rewards, etc.
  10. Claiming scum by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with others is not, regardless of the truth of this claim.
  11. Pretending to break a rule will be treated the same as breaking the rule.
  12. We're all here to have fun. Tempers may flare, but avoid personal attacks and keep it civil.
  13. Breaking one of these rules may, at my discretion, result in a modkill. If you are modkilled, you will become a Neutral Survivor, and thus automatically lose. Modkilling may or may not end the game day.
  14. I reserve the right to change the rules. Rule changes will be posted in thread.

Activity Rules

1. If a player goes 72 real life hours without posting, they may be prodded at my discretion, or upon being asked by another player. Prods will be announced in thread.
  2. If a player does not respond to their prod within 24 real life hours, is prodded twice in the same game-day, or three times in total within the game, they may be force-replaced at my discretion.
  3. If you will be V/LA, please alert me in the thread or via PM.
  4. Each game day will have a deadline of fourteen real life days.
  5. In the event deadline is reached before a lynch has occurred, there will be
    No Lynch
  6. Each night will have a deadline of three real life days.
  7. If a player has a night action, but does not submit a choice before deadline, they will perform no action.

8. I may extend deadlines in the event replacements must be found, at my discretion. This will be announced in thread.

Voting Rules

1. Votes must be at the beginning of a new line and bolded, and in the format of VOTE: Player name or
    VOTE: Playername
    . Abbreviations, missing punctuation, and misspellings will be accepted as long as it is obvious to me who is being voted for. If I perceive it as a vote, it counts as a vote.
  2. Unvoting is nice, but is not necessary.
  3. Once a majority of votes is reached (# of players / 2 + 1, rounded down), that person is lynched.
  4. All living players, including the lynchee, may continue to post until I lock the thread.
  5. If you are dead, that is it. Do not post. Not even a "Bah" post.

Setup Rules

• As a Mini Normal game, the exact details of this game's setup are not public. However, you do know the following facts about the setup:

1. At least 12 of the 13 players have an explicitly normal role, from the following list: Vanilla Townie, Sane Cop, Doctor, Vigilante, Roleblocker, Mason, Innocent Child, Jailkeeper, Tracker, Watcher, Gunsmith, Miller, Bodyguard, Role Cop, Doublevoter, Hider, Neighbor, Neighborizer, Jack of All Trades, Serial Killer, Mafia Goon, Mafia Traitor, Mafia Godfather, Mafia Framer, Mafia-aligned versions of above roles, possibly with an explicitly normal modifier: Even/Odd Night, Non-Consecutive Night, X-Shot, Bulletproof, Neighbor, Compulsive, Macho, Weak, Backup (with or without primary role present). It is possible that all 13 players have a role on this list; it is also possible that the 13th player has some other role with "basic" Mafia traits.
  2. There are either 1 or 2 anti-town factions consisting of 2 or more players; and either 0 or 1 anti-town factions consisting of a single player.
  3. The only possible win conditions are the Town, Mafia/Werewolf, Traitor, and Serial Killer win conditions. (So no jesters, lynchers, survivors, or cults.)
  4. At least 1 player will get the Vanilla Townie role PM, which looks like this:

Sample Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:Welcome,
[Player Name]
, you are a
Vanilla Townie

Abilities:

• Your weapon is your vote; you have no night actions.

Win condition:

• You win when all threats to the town are eliminated and there is at least one town-aligned player alive.

The game thread is here.
Please confirm your role and alignment via PM.

Good luck.
Last edited by Tierce on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Post by Tierce »

Role PMs are being sent out. Please confirm via PM stating your role and alignment.
The game will begin once 11 players have confirmed.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Post by Tierce »

Day 1 starts now.

Votecount 1.0

(13)
Not voting
- charter, deadjoker, FaerieLord, FourTrouble, Gregory, HerrRudi, image, mykonian, obliteratedbyfireflies, Peabody, Redcolbalt, Shadoweh, snifit

With 13 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch.
The deadline is September 22 at 1:30 AM GMT (DST). Countdown to deadline: (expired on 2012-09-22 01:30:00)
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Post by charter »

Vote Deadjoker

Die scum
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Post by Peabody »

vote charter

Because we are arch enemies. (Not really)
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Post by image »

Vote: charter

Trying to push for a quicklynch on Deadjoker, are you? Seems pretty scummy to me.
"Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about?"
--The Doctor
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Post by Peabody »

In post 6, image wrote:
Vote: charter

Trying to push for a quicklynch on Deadjoker, are you? Seems pretty scummy to me.

unvote; vote image
FourTrouble
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Post by FourTrouble »

@Peabody

Why precisely are you voting for image? I get it had to do with what image said, but I'm not sure I get what's scummy about that.
FourTrouble
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Post by FourTrouble »

In post 5, Peabody wrote:
vote charter

Because we are arch enemies. (Not really)

In fact, this seems kind of scummy - why would you provide a reason (even if it was a joke) while simultaneously retracting it? It's like you're trying to justify your actions, but your reasoning is flimsy and superficial. It's the same thing you did regarding image - you quoted him as your justification, but didn't clarify the thought-process behind your vote.
Peabody
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Peabody
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Post by Peabody »

I wanted Charter to know it was a joke. We had a bad tunnel war on each other last game, and by adding (Not really), I was telling him no hard feelings.

My vote on image was because I thought he was being serious in his accusation against Charter. Now I see he was joking. Legitimate concern over a wagon during RVS is a scumtell.
unvote

FourTrouble, you didn't know my reasoning before this post, so how is it possible to say it's flimsy and superficial?
deadjoker
deadjoker
Goon
deadjoker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:05 pm

Post by deadjoker »

Hi charter.
So much for the thereafter.
obliteratedbyfireflies
obliteratedbyfireflies
Goon
obliteratedbyfireflies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Post by obliteratedbyfireflies »

I think this is what is called rvs or rqs? Not really for it but I understand the reasoning behind it. I find it odd that "mafia scum" opposed to me "townsperson" wouldn't know this.
deadjoker
deadjoker
Goon
deadjoker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Post by deadjoker »

In post 12, obliteratedbyfireflies wrote:I think this is what is called rvs or rqs? Not really for it but I understand the reasoning behind it. I find it odd that "mafia scum" opposed to me "townsperson" wouldn't know this.

RVS/RQS is a clutch used by lazy players. The very small and short lived mini-wagon on charter already gives us some information to work with. I also find it curious that you felt the need to mention "mafia scum" and "townsperson".
So much for the thereafter.
obliteratedbyfireflies
obliteratedbyfireflies
Goon
obliteratedbyfireflies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Post by obliteratedbyfireflies »

It was pertinent to the argument I will clarify I was responding to peabody I think I should have mentioned that I just sort of scanned through the thread and saw that he said he thought it was a serious accusation. That is definitely "my bad" not sure if I explained thoroughly.
HerrRudi
HerrRudi
Goon
HerrRudi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Post by HerrRudi »

VOTE: obliteratedbyfireflies for that atrocious run on sentence
FaerieLord
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
FaerieLord
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Post by FaerieLord »

Vote: Myk
Feels so god, man
(1:07:08 AM) Xdaamno: alcohol
(1:07:11 AM) Xdaamno: solves this problem
(1:07:13 AM) Xdaamno: woohoo
FourTrouble
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Post by FourTrouble »

@Peabody

1. You contradicted yourself. You say you voted for image because you "thought he was being serious" in his accusation of charter. I'm not sure I understand how that makes sense, given the fact you also state your vote on image was a "joke." Townies tend to be more consistent than scum, so this could definitely be construed as a minor scum-tell.

2. The following statement you made - "Legitimate concern over a wagon during RVS is a scumtell" - besides the fact that it is OMGUS (and particularly scummy OMGUS since you didn't even vote for me), this statement is scummy because you are trying to get me off your back by threatening me. I consider threats a major scum-tell (why would a townie ever need to threaten someone?), so I'm not sure why you're even suggesting I'm scum-telling at the same time that you unvote instead of applying further pressure.

We'll see how these points turn out, but for now, I'm definitely placing a FOS on you.
FourTrouble
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
FourTrouble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Post by FourTrouble »

I'm not a huge fan of random voting - it makes more sense to have a reason behind votes, as far as I'm concerned. For example, I'm not sure why a run-on sentence is worth voting someone, but I guess this early people are looking for any minor detail to latch onto.

@deadjoker

What information does the mini-wagon on charter give us? You say it has given us "information" to work with, but you don't actually offer any suggestions or serious analysis. It's like you were about to offer a potential lead, and then suddenly decided to keep your thoughts to yourself, as if your thoughts didn't have any value. I'll be honest, from my perspective, I get the feeling you are worried your interpretations of the mini-wagon will be construed as scummy. Townies usually don't worry about APPEARING scummy, whereas one of the biggest scum-tells is people putting too much effort into appearing pro-town. This seems like a case where you attempt to appear pro-town (suggesting we have information to work with), while at the same time taking no positions, and offering no real leads or information. Maybe you can explain why you kept your interpretations of the mini-wagon to yourself? Or explain what "information to work with" you were referring to?
snifit
snifit
Mafia Scum
snifit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Post by snifit »

Vote: deadjoker

Vote2: FourTrouble

You're both wrong about things. Cut it out.
Gregory
Gregory
Goon
Gregory
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Post by Gregory »

4 posts, no vote?

vote: fourtrouble

oh and snifit, does your post mean you have 2 votes or, vote/unvote vote?
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:23 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 16, FaerieLord wrote:
Vote: Myk
Feels so god, man

I think I get what you mean and I know it's a "random" vote, but feel free to explain this sentiment to me. A game is as good a place to do this as anywhere.

In post 18, FourTrouble wrote:I'm not a huge fan of random voting - it makes more sense to have a reason behind votes, as far as I'm concerned. For example, I'm not sure why a run-on sentence is worth voting someone, but I guess this early people are looking for any minor detail to latch onto.

@deadjoker

What information does the mini-wagon on charter give us? You say it has given us "information" to work with, but you don't actually offer any suggestions or serious analysis. It's like you were about to offer a potential lead, and then suddenly decided to keep your thoughts to yourself, as if your thoughts didn't have any value. I'll be honest, from my perspective, I get the feeling you are worried your interpretations of the mini-wagon will be construed as scummy. Townies usually don't worry about APPEARING scummy, whereas one of the biggest scum-tells is people putting too much effort into appearing pro-town. This seems like a case where you attempt to appear pro-town (suggesting we have information to work with), while at the same time taking no positions, and offering no real leads or information. Maybe you can explain why you kept your interpretations of the mini-wagon to yourself? Or explain what "information to work with" you were referring to?

ok, two things. One, please get an avatar, helps everybody a lot to know people from each other. It just makes the thread a bit more readable, esspecially with rereads.
Second: I might be a bit busy and rather rushed, but that second alinea already starts to take the block of text form that makes it rather hard to work through. Since this is the start of the game and you are a townsperson after all, let me put a bit of work in and analyse this stuff.

First sentence, nice use of a rhetorical question, makes me want to read on. For a bit. Like the quotation marks, clearly give away what you mean there. Second sentence is a great core.

Then we get a horrible line full of comma's that actually argues your point you gave in the first sentence but doesn't add anything of value. Shorten it or cut it, this only makes people not want to read what you are writing.

Fourth is more of the same, won't convince anyone because it's in the middle of a huge block of text, doesn't add anything new. "from my perspective" isn't a good thing to use here cause it weakens the weak thing you said already. It makes the argumentative value of the sentence even lower as the first thing another person will think is: "well, that's your perspective, why should that be mine as well?"

I like how you tell what tells you are going to look for (overacting), I agree with it. Fine. Could have used a new alinea, since the next sentence (where you argue deadjoker is indeed doing this) brings a new piece of evidence. It's connection with the "information" is a bit loose. New subject? new alinea.

Last questions are in principle good, rhetorical in use again because you imply deathjoker won't have the answer. At least, I think he won't. You could again have made this more readable by placing each on a new line, new alinea, since they are the conclusion to your case:

Can you explain why you kept your interpretations of the mini-wagon to yourself?
And can you explain what "information to work with" you were referring to?

All in all, I like what you are saying, it's as good a case as you can bring on page one. But please try to make it easy to read by everybody. Nobody likes blocks of text.

And a bit of a tip from an experienced player: people are more likely to read your case if you end it with a vote. On page one, the above would clearly have been enough for a deadjoker vote:

vote deadjoker
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 20, Gregory wrote:4 posts, no vote?

vote: fourtrouble

oh and snifit, does your post mean you have 2 votes or, vote/unvote vote?

Second that question.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 am

Post by charter »

Wagon on Four, all aboard!
Unvote, vote Four
Tierce
Tierce