Favorite Video Game Tournament (Pokémon Wins! + Condorcet)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

How highly do you rate the winner of the tournament, Pokémon R/G/B/Y/FR/LG?

My favorite game!
16%
Not my favorite, but top 5.
16%
Somewhere between sixth and twelfth.
20%
In the bottom half of my top 25.
24%
Outside the top 25.
24%

Total votes: 25

Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #625 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Tamuz wrote:I hate saying stupid things too, good recovery though!
Okay, so if you really want to go down this dumb road, a road that advised you not take on my own will, then I can easily say I've beaten Tetris (i.e. played the game and fulfilled the qualifications needed to end the game->losing) more than a few times.

The point I was making, smartass, was that I wanted to see if the people who were voting Portal 1 had only played it once.
Brandi wrote:Hiraki~ I addressed your point with an analogy, I'm sorry if you didn't get it.
No, you quoted the first part of my post and forgot about the second. I'm not even going to argue with you if this is what I'm going to get.
Brandi wrote: Though your terminology of "main game" feels rather obtuse.
It's justified in the sense that people play the original DMC rather than the Ninja Theory DMC because the original DMC, whilst having the same (or close to the same) system as Ninja Theory's DMC, is preferred because everything in those games are just better. For Portal's example, you could play Portal or another puzzle game. I am puzzled on what Portal has to offer against other games.
Brandi wrote:Portal is game of the year material because it was one of the most original games of its time.
In a sense, sure. But again, as I said with my Half Life 2 correlation, no one says that the Gravity Gun was great. They say that Half Life 2 was great. I feel that the Portal Gravity Gun is the only thing going for the game. If I'm wrong about this, please tell me.
Brandi wrote:Just as well, Portal did a wonderful job of integrating story and gameplay together in a manner that blends them together perfectly.
I just can't agree with you here. The story is literally:
1) Beat the puzzles.
2) Hurray! You beat the puzzles. Escape dying.
3) Kill the thing that tried to kill you.
Brandi wrote:It isn't just a game, it's an experience
Brandi wrote:That said, Portal is far from any of my favorite game
No, this just doesn't make any sense.
Brandi wrote:But just because you can play something over and over out of boredom
No, that's not good replayability. In fact, that would lean toward little to no replayability. I'm not arguing if you can play the game again. Of course you can. The point is that you can play the game again and that it won't be boring or get old.

Saying that Portal is an experience proves that point immensely. I just don't understand how it can be a favorite game if it's really a one-time play and it's quite mediocre by definition.
In post 625, xRECKONERx wrote:Tetris being replayable and presenting a new challenge every time basically just makes it Bejeweled.
You could say that about any game that randomly starts, no?
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #626 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Post by Tamuz »

In post 626, Hiraki wrote:Okay, so if you really want to go down this dumb road, a road that advised you not take on my own will, then I can easily say I've beaten Tetris (i.e. played the game and fulfilled the qualifications needed to end the game->losing) more than a few times.
You've never played tetris, lol.
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
Yiley
Yiley
He/Him
Goon
Yiley
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #627 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Post by Yiley »

Really? Have you even? Tamuz?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #628 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 626, Hiraki wrote:You could say that about any game that randomly starts, no?
...yes.

Which seems to be the key thing you're trumpeting here... that it is random and the difficulty slightly increases each level.
green shirt thursdays
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #629 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Post by Hiraki »

In post 628, Yiley wrote:Really? Have you even? Tamuz?
He's going for the fact that you can win in Tetris.
xRECKONERx wrote:Which seems to be the key thing you're trumpeting here... that it is random and the difficulty slightly increases each level.
No, no, no. I'm saying that Portal is just about the same thing over and over again. I'm okay with this, as I said that the Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series and that is the same method. I don't understand how it could be anyone's favorite game due to the fact that it's not long, therefore it's not hard to forget things that happen in the levels, even if you can't replicate those events right now, and that it's the same thing everytime.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #630 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Round 4:

Match 57:

Tetris

Match 58:

Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen

Match 59:

Super Mario 64

Match 60:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Bonus Match 1:
Vote for up to two.
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

Bonus Match 2:

Pac-Man
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #631 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Post by Brandi »

The point is that you can play the game again and that it won't be boring or get old.
But it does get boring and old, I feel. But if you don't feel that way I can't change that by arguing about it.
how it can be a favorite game if it's really a one-time play and it's quite mediocre by definition.
I feel Portal is a 2 or 3 time play to get the full of it. However, I disagree with this definition and I don't think it's reasonable.
I don't think a game is any worse due to how long it is. I feel that when it comes to certain genre's, such as... rogue-likes for instance, this would be a valid point to live up to. But games that have strong story elements where in beating the game draws a a singular conclusion, replay value shouldn't be a factor as to whether or not it's a good game.

I will double confirm that Portal is still not a favorite game of mine nor is it in my top 10, But I've played a lot of games and that would be hard to make.
I've never liked basic tetris and have never found it fun or worth my time in comparison to pretty much any other simplistic game of its nature.

But see, I realize that arguing something that is ultimately a subjective opinion isn't really worth all of these text walls. We can't agree on basic definitions on what makes a good game.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #632 (ISO) » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

In post 630, Hiraki wrote:
In post 628, Yiley wrote:Really? Have you even? Tamuz?
He's going for the fact that you can win in Tetris.
xRECKONERx wrote:Which seems to be the key thing you're trumpeting here... that it is random and the difficulty slightly increases each level.
No, no, no. I'm saying that Portal is just about the same thing over and over again. I'm okay with this, as I said that the Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series and that is the same method. I don't understand how it could be anyone's favorite game due to the fact that it's not long, therefore it's not hard to forget things that happen in the levels, even if you can't replicate those events right now, and that it's the same thing everytime.
Welp... time to pack up all those old games from the 16 bit era and earlier.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles can be beaten in about the same time as Portal can (if not less time), and has much, much less story involved (Robotnik tricks Knuckles to attack Sonic, and steals Master Emerald, Sonic tries to stop him), do we argue that it's not very good due to it being so short? I mean that's in my top 10 games of all time, and I doubt it's shifting very soon.

I just... I don't get how the "length" of the game is an argument... if we're basing it on that the only games that should come close to the "best" would be RPGs, and while some of them are pretty damn good, some of them (Well... most if we're being honest here) are so ridiculously boring as well.

If your argument is about "Why is Portal still in the tournament at this stage?" You clearly worded it wrong, because you actually were arguing about why it was beating sodding Tetris, and the reason it's beating Tetris is because Tetris is a 2 minute time filler while you're taking a shit, and Portal is a game to play to get an interesting and engrossing story (which you seem to have completely missed as you played it with the sound off or something, I dunno...), with some really fun gameplay mechanics. Plus it does have replayability in the attempts to complete the levels in a quicker time.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #633 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:03 am

Post by Hiraki »

In post 633, PranaDevil wrote:Sonic 3 and Knuckles can be beaten in about the same time as Portal can (if not less time), and has much, much less story involved (Robotnik tricks Knuckles to attack Sonic, and steals Master Emerald, Sonic tries to stop him), do we argue that it's not very good due to it being so short? I mean that's in my top 10 games of all time, and I doubt it's shifting very soon.
No, because there's a variation of what you can do and where you can go and how you can do it.
Prana wrote:I just... I don't get how the "length" of the game is an argument...
Again, it's not the argument. The argument is that it's short and there's little to no replayability value. It's not one or the other, it's the two bundled together.
In post 633, PranaDevil wrote:(which you seem to have completely missed as you played it with the sound off or something, I dunno...)
Please, tell me about this "engrossing" story.
Prana wrote:Plus it does have replayability in the attempts to complete the levels in a quicker time.
Do you really care about speed? Do you play Sonic 3 to see if you can beat your time from whoever knows how ago?

I'm dropping this.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #634 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:38 am

Post by PranaDevil »

In post 634, Hiraki wrote:
In post 633, PranaDevil wrote:Sonic 3 and Knuckles can be beaten in about the same time as Portal can (if not less time), and has much, much less story involved (Robotnik tricks Knuckles to attack Sonic, and steals Master Emerald, Sonic tries to stop him), do we argue that it's not very good due to it being so short? I mean that's in my top 10 games of all time, and I doubt it's shifting very soon.
No, because there's a variation of what you can do and where you can go and how you can do it.
Is there? Not by much, you're still completing the same game in a repetitive manner. What about Mario 1? What variation would there be to that? (Ignore warp pipes because all that does is let you beat the game quicker, which means not really playing the game as such), sure you can stomp goombas a little earlier or later, but the only different might be when the spinys are dropped, everything else is the same, you complete the game in the same order, and there's nothing different on each playthrough, so why is that viewed as a great game?
Prana wrote:I just... I don't get how the "length" of the game is an argument...
Again, it's not the argument. The argument is that it's short and there's little to no replayability value. It's not one or the other, it's the two bundled together.
But there IS replayability... just because "you" don't get the replayability doesn't change whether there is any or not, especially as after a year, chances are you've forgotten enough of the solutions that going back to the game mean it's still somewhat fresh, so yeah, a game that doesn't change can still be fun and enjoyable, and allow you to replay it. Otherwise pretty much all games which aren't open world, and/or have no customization of your character(s) fall foul of the lack of replayability issue. Thus stuff like Mario 1, or basically many old platformers... the Dizzy games on the Amstrad and Spectrum had a single method of beating the game, the replayability was there in working out "how" to beat the game, but once it's done... surely that means no replayability afterwards? The only thing that made it take days, weeks, months, or even years to complete those games was the fact it took forever to load the things to begin with, and when you died you went to the start of the entire game again, if they were released today where you just began at the screen you were on when you died I doubt it would take anyone longer than a day to complete them. There was no alternative to how to beat the game (the grease went on the cart, that's it, it's like an old style point and click without the pointing and clicking, but more platforming), so do we class them as bad games because of it?
In post 633, PranaDevil wrote:(which you seem to have completely missed as you played it with the sound off or something, I dunno...)
Please, tell me about this "engrossing" story.
You mean the story of working out who you are, what's going on, why there's all the text scrawled over various walls (Ratman), the fact that Glados is part human... just because you can dumb it down into three lines doesn't mean it's not engrossing, it means you didn't give it a chance or that it wasn't a type of story you were interested in. Which is perfectly fine, but don't claim it is something is isn't just because you didn't get personal enjoyment out of the plot.
Prana wrote:Plus it does have replayability in the attempts to complete the levels in a quicker time.
Do you really care about speed? Do you play Sonic 3 to see if you can beat your time from whoever knows how ago?
No, I play it again because it's a fun game, much the same as I do with Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3, despite the fact that I know where a good majority of the bonus stuff is now and can do certain levels almost with my eyes shut. But that's because I don't go for the whole "beat the score as a challenge" stuff that some do, I play games because they're fun... thus I play Portal, but avoid Tetris like it's got the plague.
I'm dropping this.
Of course you are, as you had no real argument beyond complaining that Portal was a short game with no variation... while suggesting Tetris was better, despite it being a short game with no variation.

As I say, your argument would have had more clout at a different point in this tournament, you'd have still been wrong, but at least you wouldn't be arguing in a contradictory manner if you were suggesting Portal should lose to, say, Pokemon (which it shouldn't do in my view, but you would at least have had "some" argument as to Pokemon being a better game due to storyline and longevity).
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #635 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 am

Post by BS2000 »

Opinions!
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #636 (ISO) » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Tetris is in no way a better game than Portal. 'nuff said.
Permanent V/LA.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #637 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:28 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 263, quadz08 wrote:motherfuckin' opinions
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #638 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

Match 57:
Portal

Match 58:
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

Match 59:
Super Mario 64

Match 60:

Bonus Match 1: Vote for up to two.
Super Smash Bros.

Bonus Match 2:
Pac-Man
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #639 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Quilford »

BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #640 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Post by BS2000 »

I'm just anti-voting Tetris. Its a cool game, but fuck its vanilla, I don't want it to win.
i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #641 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

re: this whole tetris/portal argument

portal changed my life. tetris did not.
Matias
Matias
Mafia Scum
Matias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #642 (ISO) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Post by Matias »

Portal
Pokemon
SM64
-
Formerly DemonHybrid. I play mafia extremely occasionally. I run the Song Contest. You can find me there.
My GTKAS
My old account
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #643 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 am

Post by mith »

Next round will go up sometime this evening, I think.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #644 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Post by mith »

Previous Results:

Match 57:
Portal
d. Tetris, 21-7
Match 58:
Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen
d. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, 14-10
Match 59:
Super Mario 64
d. Mario Kart 64, 14-10
Match 60:
d. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, 8-5

Bonus Match 1:
(9) d. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver (7), Super Mario Bros. 3 (7), Super Smash Bros. (6), Bastion (5), Sid Meier's Civilization II (5), RollerCoaster Tycoon (4), Chrono Trigger (3)
Bonus Match 2:
Pac-Man
d. Frogger, Centipede, Space Invaders, 15-4-3-2

Round 5:

Match 61:

Portal

Match 62:

Super Mario 64

Bonus Match 3:

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Mario Kart 64
Tetris
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Bonus Match 4:

Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver
Portal 2
Super Mario Bros. 3

Bonus Match 5:

FreeCell
JezzBall
Mahjong Solitaire
Minesweeper
SkiFree
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #645 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Post by mith »

Portal

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Bros. 3
Minesweeper
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #646 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Portal
-

Bonus Match 4:
Portal 2
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #647 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Pokemon
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past
Super Mario Bros. 3
Minesweeper
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #648 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Post by Xalxe »

Portal
-

Bonus 3: Mario Kart 64
Bonus 4: Portal 2
Bonus 5: Minesweeper
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #649 (ISO) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Match 61:

Match 62:
Super Mario 64

Bonus Match 3:
Mario Kart 64

Bonus Match 4:
Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver

Bonus Match 5:
~~
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius

Return to “The Arcade”