Ethics?: Trusting the Mod

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am

Post by Axelrod »

It's been said, but I agree that the solution to not lying to Cops is to inform them up front that their results might not be accurate. Just saying something like "your results are not guaranteed 100% accurate" or "baring GF shenanigans" etc. That might seem obvious, but at the same time, I wouldn't omit such a statement just because everyone knows those are possibilities.

I wouldn't tell someone they are "Masons" with someone else if the other player was non-town, because Mason has a specific connotation to me. I'd just say they can communicate at Night. Scum "Masons" are nasty roles that I don't care for at all.

I don't like the concept of the "death-miller" either, as I tend to rely on death descriptions. I don't think I'd ever have one without giving some kind of warning to the town ahead of time that things aren't always what they seem, or some such nonsense.

Bottom line: People should be able to figure stuff out. Everything should be fair in the end analysis, and not just crazy for craziness sake.
Last edited by Axelrod on Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Well, I agree that people should have some chance of figuring things out. However, telling a person that he's a death miller in their PM means the person can choose to tell telling the town he's a death miller before he dies, which should give the town at least a chance to believe or disbelieve him, so I would consider that fair.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Commodore Amazing
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Out-booyahed

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Commodore Amazing »

I didn't read this thread, but I'm throwing my vote on the "mods should never need to lie to their players" side of the argument.
Osloboditelj
Osloboditelj
Goon
Osloboditelj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 am

Post by Osloboditelj »

I'd say that the descriptions of actions given by the mod should be 100% trustworthy. If there's a chance a vig will miss, don't say "that person will die" or the like. Weasel-wording is fine; in fact, it's the best way to introduce uncertainty without having the players question the mod. The mod should always be telling the truth, but it doesn't always have to be the whole truth.

Also, I like to delineate between flavour and pratical role function in PMs; I haven't actually modded yet, but when I do all flavour in role PMs will be posted in italics, and the rules post will say something to the effect of "all italicized text in your PM is flavour. Any non-italicized text can be trusted completely."
Show
You've got your hands over your ears
You've got your mouth running on
You've got your eyes looking for something
That can never be found - like a reason
Good God I don't need a reason.
warpdragon
warpdragon
Goon
warpdragon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:09 am

Post by warpdragon »

Seol wrote:
Fuldu wrote:But as a general rule, roles and mechanisms that turn the mod into a participant rather than an arbiter seem dangerous.
Worse than the mod registering an alt and playing in the game himself as a neutral (ie, no wincon) character? I was considering doing that once...

...That was a long time ago.
Seen it, or something similar, on a different forum. The game was with puppet accounts, and the mod was a player as his real name. He was known to be scum, but unlynchable until all other scum died. I forgot if he told the town when this was possible or if he made them guess. The days were quick and if noone was lynched, he modkilled. He was able to wifom with his votes to protect the scum. Forgot how it ended, but it looked cool. If any people here remember Electra, she was in it under a different name.
Show
IS: Kiwis get to hunt the natives on Sundays
Tally: kiwis are the natives
IS: Thats the fun part

Mackay: Oh hey, I got sigged! :)

[size=75][i]Edited by Warpdragon[/i][/size]
Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom
Goon
Dr. Doom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Post by Dr. Doom »

I never modded before, but I have GMed lots of RPG-sessions, and there the role is kinda the same: a referee and Information giver. I would always keep the right to withhold information, or to use halftruths so players believe what I want them to believe (especially in a very elaborate set-up). Withhold Information can add to the suspense (and thus fun) of the game.
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom, you are an artist. - Oman
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

I'll be blunt: I've withheld information, not used weaselwords and subsequently 'lied' to players, outright lied to players (such as with not-sane cops), and told players things I wish I hadn't and later overruled myself.

I always try and keep the game running with the flavour the meta-game of mafia has developed. Cops aren't necessarily sane. Roles can be blocked. Mods make mistakes and have to correct them. I try and spare the players all the confusion I can, but I will not hesitate to make decisions on the fly for the purposes of balance and fairplay.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

I agree with CES. I plan on stating that role pms state how the character sees reality, not how it actually is.

In addition, I think death miller is a creative scumchat role that should never be used in a forum game, because it doesn't really have a logical use (i.e. there is no good reason for a mod to add such a role into the game).
Permanent V/LA.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Post by Adele »

2 jobs that a Mod has: (1) Designing the setup and (2) running the game.

(1) Desiging the Setup: If mafia was a boardgame, the mod would be the board. It has the rules - maybe a few surprises - but it's not part of the game, but merely sets the context for it. Bastardmod mafia's a different story, as is Worst Role Ever Mafia, as these are like boardgames that advertise themselves to be capricious. By contrast, if Trivial Pursuit started spitting out wrong answers, that'd destroy the gamejoy.

(2) Running the Game: Here I consider the mod like a courtroom Judge; disinterested (though never uninterested), he should be preserving the stability of proceedings and is essentially an overseer (this in a trial-by-jury, of course; if Rainbow Brite sued me for yesterday's GD insinuations and I areed to being tried by Judge Judy, I could hardly complain if she was, at some point, short with me and didn't listen to the whole story. Like,
duh
. So again, Bastardmod mafia makes bastardmoddery unbastardy)
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:37 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

I think we should start doing these Ethics threads again for IMM. I enjoyed them while they lasted.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:I agree with CES. I plan on stating that role pms state how the character sees reality, not how it actually is.

In addition, I think death miller is a creative scumchat role that should never be used in a forum game, because it doesn't really have a logical use (i.e. there is no good reason for a mod to add such a role into the game).
Eh, I don't know about death millers having no place in forum mafia. I'd just love to see someone try the defense: "Sure, I defended person X! I said X was innocent, and I'm SURE I was right! He must have been a death miller!"

Heh...ok, so it probably wouldn't work as a defense, but it'd be funny to see someone try it, wouldn't it?

In other words, if things like death millers are known to be possible (but very improbable), it adds new layers to the debates and arguments that can happen in games, which seems like it's a good thing.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:I agree with CES. I plan on stating that role pms state how the character sees reality, not how it actually is.

Eh, I don't know about death millers having no place in forum mafia. I'd just love to see someone try the defense: "Sure, I defended person X! I said X was innocent, and I'm SURE I was right! He must have been a death miller!"

Heh...ok, so it probably wouldn't work as a defense, but it'd be funny to see someone try it, wouldn't it?

In other words, if things like death millers are known to be possible (but very improbable), it adds new layers to the debates and arguments that can happen in games, which seems like it's a good thing.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:21 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I kind of think death millers shouldn't be off-limits for forum games, because if it's understood that they are, scum can't claim before dying that they're death millers. They'd never be believed.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 am

Post by gorckat »

What I gather from this thread is that opinions are varied, and mods have very different thoughts on acceptable roles.

Perhaps, when posting signups for specific games, or on a mod's wiki page (if possible), mod's should include some kind of summary like:

-I weasel word. Here's what my cop PMs look like. You'll never know if you're an insane cop. (Or- If I weasel word it means I'm hiding something. Enjoy :twisted:)
-I despise scum masons and will never use them.
-Death millers, however, are bastardmoddery deliciousness
etc...

This lets prospective players double check a mod's history/style and know heads-up what they could be in for (or not in for).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”