The Mafiascum Archives (Idea)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Good idea, or not? You decide.

Bad!
4%
Well, maybe. Just maybe.
No votes
Not bad.
No votes
Sounds good!
56%
I like it!
36%
I don't much care one way or the other.
4%
Other (please specify).
No votes

Total votes: 25

Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:53 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Rainbow Brite wrote:i don't think being the biggest bastard mod is something we should be celebrating...
Actually, I do...so long as the game is still fair, anyway. Proper bastard moddetry is a good skill, that keeps the people guessing.

Anyway, it is probably something that should be noted in this kind of list, so people can look at the most bastardest mafia games so they know what to look out for.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't see any point in trying to "move" games to a Hall of fame forum. We're not under any space limitations here, as far as I know (unlike GL, which has deleted scads of old games).

Using the Wiki would of course be cool (and I'll help out in any way I can), but it is off-forum, as someone mentioned, and somewhat less likely to be visited. On the other hand, it's MUCH easier for someone to update the "main post" when voting changes. Maybe a sticky thread with the title, with a link to the Wiki page, which in turn links to all of the best of show games. The thread could contain the voting, since all of the games you want to read would be just two clicks away, and you wouldn't have to scan through 27 pages of 25 posts apiece....

For what it's worth, a lot of the theory pages on the Wiki make reference to games already, either directly by link, or by having a short page about the game itself. And those wiki pages would be much easier for a cadre of bored volunteers to make start=nnn links that jump to the beginning of each day. Game results could probably be posted in small text/black-on-black, to avoid spoilers.
Retired as of October 2014.
Ghyrt
Ghyrt
Goon
Ghyrt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Post by Ghyrt »

Mr. Flay wrote:Using the Wiki would of course be cool (and I'll help out in any way I can), but it is off-forum, as someone mentioned, and somewhat less likely to be visited. On the other hand, it's MUCH easier for someone to update the "main post" when voting changes. Maybe a sticky thread with the title, with a link to the Wiki page, which in turn links to all of the best of show games. The thread could contain the voting, since all of the games you want to read would be just two clicks away, and you wouldn't have to scan through 27 pages of 25 posts apiece....
So... is there gonna be a sticky? I said I'll help.
[i]"Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean."
---Aldous Huxley[/i]
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Post by GreenLiquid »

I'm not sure. If anything, this is going to be a community thing, so we'll have to agree with mith and organize something. Also, in case it wasn't apparent yet, I'll help too.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
help im a bug
help im a bug
Goon
help im a bug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:25 am

Post by help im a bug »

I think it would be interesting if there were division by type of role--have a section of games where SKs played particularly well, where masons did, where doctors did, so that if you get a particular role you can look there for inspiration.
oh no
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 am

Post by Thesp »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Rainbow Brite wrote:i don't think being the biggest bastard mod is something we should be celebrating...
Actually, I do...so long as the game is still fair, anyway. Proper bastard moddetry is a good skill, that keeps the people guessing.

Anyway, it is probably something that should be noted in this kind of list, so people can look at the most bastardest mafia games so they know what to look out for.
There's a difference between not including a doctor in a game and including deathmillers in a game. One keeps people on their toes, and the other actively spites the players for playing well and thinking critically, celebrating the moderator instead of allowing players to flourish and thrive.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Gleeman
Gleeman
Townie
Gleeman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:21 am

Post by Gleeman »

I didnt take the bastarady moding to mean a spiteful mod, I took it as a moderator that created a set up that constantly surprised the players, making them constantly adjust their thinking and reasoning, really confusing the hell out them basically :)
But I think this should be a wiki thing.
A page, with a list of classic games (good to read, great twist or whatever) a list of games that shows great play and reasoning by the players(town or mafia) and a list of innovative games, or games that are considerably different than standard mafia.
I'd be on a panel to help out in some shape or form.
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:22 am

Post by Macros »

Fnuh, that was me, keep forgetting to sign out of gleeman.
Oh the huge manatee!!
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Thesp wrote: There's a difference between not including a doctor in a game and including deathmillers in a game. One keeps people on their toes, and the other actively spites the players for playing well and thinking critically, celebrating the moderator instead of allowing players to flourish and thrive.
(shrug) A good bastardmodded game keeps players on their toes, keeps them guessing, stops the obveous stratagy from always being the best, and keeps the game balanced.

For example, the first time someone put a scum mason into a game, that was good bastardmodding. The first time someone used a miller, that was good bastardmodding. The game where Dragon Phenox invented the insane doc (who actually kills people instead of protecting them; was basically a vig but didn't know it) was good bastardmodding. Now, it should be something that can be played around and beat by good play and by clever players, or can be abused by especally clever and lucky scum players; one good bastardmodding game will keep the players on their toes for the next ten games they play.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”