Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Mafia 59: Hell on Earth - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:37 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

• Hell on Earth
    Kelly Open Setup 5, and Mafia 59
Hell manifests itself on earth in the form of devastating scum who butcher their victims to unrecognizability. There are 19 of you and only 4 of you have (rather limited) town power roles. The rest of you are mafia (8) or vanilla town (7). No doctor. Your soul cries in anguish. Teeth gnash. You snort bitterly that this should just be called "Town Loses Mafia."

???

Two mafia factions (4 members each) have infiltrated your ranks. They have no special roles, although each faction has a single collective nightkill immunity. As in my other games, they cannot share the win, and thus are each other's irreconciliable enemies.

The town has four special roles, or as I call them, "pieces." There are essentially three cop pieces, and one doctor/blocker/isolater piece:
The picard piece detects borg mafia.
The ripley piece detects alien mafia.
The newt piece may visit someone; if that person is mafia, the newt dies.
The worf piece may detain someone, who will be unable to act that night, and no one will be able to act on this person.

Day start. Full role reveal. Draws are not allowed. I'm going to try autodeadlining game days at four weeks, although extensions will be possible.

Game over!

ALIVE (4):

4. spectrumvoid
5. Nightfall
15. Skruffs (repl. Jules, TheJiveMachine)
19. theopor_COD (repl. Frustian)

DEAD (15):

17. al4xz -
Townie
- lynched Day 1
1. Twito -
Ripley
- killed Night 1
11. Panzerjager -
Townie
- lynched Day 2
10. Smashy -
Townie
- killed Night 2
6. livingod -
Worf
- lynched Day 3
8. Fircoal -
Picard
- killed Night 3
13. Bogre -
Townie
- lynched Day 4
9. Jack -
Alien
- killed Night 4
14. M4yhem -
Alien
- lynched Day 5
18. Akbar -
Townie
- killed Night 5
2. milkman -
Borg
- killed Night 5
7. Yosarian2 -
Borg
- lynched Day 6
3. Battle Mage -
Townie
- killed Night 6
12. ~N9V~ -
Alien
- lynched Day 7
16. Jalyn (repl. Cheesefan) -
Newt
- killed Night 7

Quick links:

Day 2 (page 18, March 1)
Day 3 (page 22, March 14)
Day 4 (page 25, March 27)
Day 5 (page 27, April 4)
Day 6 (page 32, April 19)
Day 7 (page 34, April 29)
Last edited by Kelly Chen on Thu May 10, 2007 4:36 am, edited 31 times in total.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:46 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

ROLES:

Every role PM consists of two paragraphs. One is the role description, the other is the win condition.

Role counts and descriptions:

There are 4
BORG MAFIA
:
W, X, Y, and Z are BORG MAFIA. Each night one of you may attempt to kill another player. Tell me which one of you does it. Special ability: The first time one of you would be killed by ALIEN MAFIA, nothing happens. You do not learn whether this ability has been used.

There are 4
ALIEN MAFIA
:
W, X, Y, and Z are ALIEN MAFIA. Each night one of you may attempt to kill another player. Tell me which one of you does it. Special ability: The first time one of you would be killed by BORG MAFIA, nothing happens. You do not learn whether this ability has been used.

There are 7
TOWNIES
:
You are a TOWNIE. This is HELL ON EARTH.

There is one
PICARD
piece, one
RIPLEY
piece, one
NEWT
piece, and one
WORF
piece:
You are the PICARD piece. You are a COP who may check a player each night to determine whether they are BORG MAFIA.

You are the RIPLEY piece. You are a COP who may check a player each night to determine whether they are ALIEN MAFIA.

You are the NEWT piece. You are a REPORTER. Each night you may VISIT another player. If you die, that player was MAFIA (but you cannot tell anyone); otherwise that player is protown. If you or your target are DETAINED by the WORF piece that night, your visit fails and you will be told this.

You are the WORF piece. You are a JAILER. Each night you may DETAIN another player. This player cannot be targeted by anyone else that night, and this player will also be unable to target anyone that night. This applies to nightkills, investigations, and the NEWT's move.

Win conditions:

For
BORG MAFIA
:
You win when BORG MAFIA make up a majority of remaining players. You also win when BORG MAFIA make up half of remaining players, and at least one protown player is still alive. EVERYBODY LOSES if when all protown are eliminated, BORG MAFIA and ALIEN MAFIA exist in equal numbers.

For
ALIEN MAFIA
:
You win when ALIEN MAFIA make up a majority of remaining players. You also win when ALIEN MAFIA make up half of remaining players, and at least one protown player is still alive. EVERYBODY LOSES if when all protown are eliminated, BORG MAFIA and ALIEN MAFIA exist in equal numbers.

For
everyone else
:
You win when all BORG MAFIA and ALIEN MAFIA are eliminated, and at least one protown player still lives.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:10 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

SPECIAL RULES:

The game starts in day.

All dead roles will be revealed immediately.

This game can't end in a draw. If all pro-town players are dead, and both scum groups have the same number of players alive, they kill each other and everybody loses.

The game will not end prematurely, even if winning has become impossible for certain players (e.g. a single townie having to play kingmaker [may not apply in this setup]).

In general you do not learn why an act failed (e.g., kills can fail due to both the Worf jailer piece and the one-shot scum immunity). You will get "This move was not successful" if I send anything at all. The exception is the Newt reporter piece, who will always be informed of this, since I don't want the Newt piece to mistake his lack of death to be an innocent result on someone.

You will not get any information about
how
someone dies in the night (e.g. who killed them, or whether the newt piece targeted scum and died).

When one scum group has been eliminated, the other scum group may not submit "No Kill" a third consecutive time without some other death occurring first (including modkill). This prevents an endless No Lynch No Kill scenario.

Q: Suppose a Borg tries to kill an Alien. Will the Aliens' one-shot NK immunity be used up if the Worf targets the Borg? Or if he targets the Alien?
A: No. It is only used up when the kill would succeed without it.

Q: Can the Picard or the Ripley investigate someone targeted by the Worf the same night?
A: No, that would not succeed.

Q: If both the Borg and the Aliens target someone targeted by the Worf the same night, does that person die?
A: No. The Worf can stop both kills.

Q: If the Newt targets scum and the Worf targets either, can the Newt die?
A: No, the Newt will be told that the move failed.

Q: Is the Newt reporter the same as the Miriam hider from Mafia 54?
A: No. The Newt can be killed by scum even when he targets town. On the other hand, the Newt doesn't die from targeting someone who dies.

If you have any questions about the mechanics of this game, or any role, or the PMed messages I may or may not send, feel free to ask me by PM or in-thread. There are no secrets.
Last edited by Kelly Chen on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:08 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

STANDARD RULES:

Underlined rules are new.

0. I'm in charge. You can tell me if I've made a mistake, but my decisions are ultimately final. Don't question such in-thread. Also, these "standard rules" are not part of the setup definition and are subject to change.
0a. Use common sense, or ask, when interpreting the rules. Exploiting loopholes in the wording of the rules may be modkillable under this rule.

1. Post at least once every three days. Notify the mod privately or in-thread if you expect an extended absence.
2. If I try to contact you, and can't get a response in 48 hours for no reason known to me, you may be replaced.
2a. If I prod you for lack of activity, and you pick it up, I expect you to post something in the next couple of days. If that's not possible then you should reply to the prod and explain.
2b. If I PM you and ask you a direct question, answer this question. If I ask you "are you still playing?" that is not a simple prod, that is me asking you whether you're still playing.

3. I do not promise to give warning before replacing a player.
4. If you have the ability to submit a night choice, and do not wish to use it, please PM me to say that you don't wish to use it. It'll make things go faster. If you don't PM me at all, I may make a choice for you, and I may consider replacing you.
5. You do not have to unvote. Votes and unvotes have to be bolded. No Lynch is voted, unvoted, and "lynched" as though it were a player.
6. Don't discuss this game outside the thread, except as your role explicitly allows.
That includes excessive raving or complaining about it.

7. Once it has been announced that you are dead,
you must not make any attempt to claim/suggest/joke about any role info you might have.
This is punishable by modkilling someone on your team, or whatever else I feel is appropriate, even if you didn't understand that you broke this rule.
You can only make a "bah" post once you're declared dead.
8. Do not quote, or pretend to quote, any out-of-thread discussion. In particular, do not quote or pretend to quote private communication from the mod.
9. Modkill and deadline policies may be determined on the fly as I think appropriate.
10. Don't edit or delete your posts. I am likely to edit posts to fix tags or remove duplicates for you.
11. Be nice, have fun, and play hard.
11a. Do not post needless vulgarity, personal attacks, or off-topic content.
11b. If you knowingly and blatantly screw over your own team, you will be banned from any game I run in the future.
11c. You don't have a right to play badly. It's not against the rules, but it's not a right. If you suck too hard it may get you kicked out.

Deadline policy for this game:

Every game day will start out autodeadlined at four weeks. I will not automatically push this back for replacements. I may grant extensions if I think the town deserves it. I may move the deadline up if the town is silent. Role claims may prompt an extension.

Vacant positions, their night actions, and votes:

I may make no move. I may make a random move. I may make an obvious move. I'm not inclined to make very stupid or very lucky moves, even when these are selected randomly.

I will not count truly vacant positions towards the total number of players when determining the number needed to lynch. I will not allow a lynch to immediately result from declaring a position vacant.
Last edited by Kelly Chen on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
livingod
livingod
Goon
livingod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Post by livingod »

Yaay, fifth post!
Akbar
Akbar
Goon
Akbar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Post by Akbar »

Random.org says 10

Vote Smashy
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

random.org said 6 for me.
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

Vote: Livingod
milkman
milkman
Goon
milkman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:53 am

Post by milkman »

Vote:Twito
, true story.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:36 am

Post by Jack »

It hasn't started yet guys.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:47 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

Interesting setup. :) Happy to be playing.
Blank.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:44 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

All but two have picked up their roles, so

Day 1

You guys are all visiting this deserted ghost town. You are looking for as yet undiscovered plant species. Your peaceful mission takes a scary turn when someone's pet dog turns up shaved, dead, and pale, wires and widgets sticking out of him, the victim of a botched assimilation job. Someone's pet pig is also found dead, the victim of an acid-laced mauling. Some kind of weird monster head-shaped indentation has been created in the upper part of the pig's facial bones.

This must mean there are borg mafia and alien mafia among you!

With 19 alive, it will take 10 votes to drop somebody into the molten steel pit at the edge of the town.

Go go go!

EDIT: Oh yeah, deadline March 7!
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:34 am

Post by Jack »

Vote:BattleMage

Because I see people do this all the time, but I haven't yet figured out why they post the dice roll in one post and the vote in the next post.
Cheesefan
Cheesefan
Goon
Cheesefan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:34 am

Post by Cheesefan »

Vote Akbar
"Of course, just because we've heard a spine-chilling, blood-curdling scream of the sort to make your very marrow freeze in your bones doesn't automatically mean there's anything wrong."
Twito
Twito
Mafia Scum
Twito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:22 am

Post by Twito »

Vote: Frustian
For being the last one. The mafia always comes last and the best ones first. ME IS THE No.1!
Show
[color=blue]We are all innocent townies and the mod is an evil bastard laughing at us lynching eachother![/color]
I'm at M├â┬®xico as an exhange student and abit inactive.

thesheamuffin: I'm off to masterbate
Uber Timmy: CAN YOU PLAY ONE HANDED
livingod
livingod
Goon
livingod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:12 am

Post by livingod »

Twito: So the scum know that they will be scum before the game starts and thus make sure to sign up last? Scummy!
vote Twito
!!!112
Smashy
Smashy
Goon
Smashy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:13 am

Post by Smashy »

Vote Akbar
. He should have told us that this was clearly a trap.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Quite an interesting set-up. It sounds like we're going to be basically relying on scum helping to lynch people in the other scum group and on scum cross-killings right from the start.

vote:al4xz
. Note this is probably the only time in the entire game I'm going to spell your name right, so enjoy it while it lasts.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:48 am

Post by Battle Mage »

its because originally i was posting in the 'quick reply' box, but then realised that i couldnt use
BOLD
when i was doing so.
This being the case, i had to make a new post in order to place my actual vote.

Jack wrote:
Vote:BattleMage

Because I see people do this all the time, but I haven't yet figured out why they post the dice roll in one post and the vote in the next post.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 am

Post by Jack »

You can just type the tag manually.

Vote:Akbar

So I can unvote and vote whoever votes me for bandwagoning for overreacting later on. And yes that sentence does make sense.
livingod
livingod
Goon
livingod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:33 am

Post by livingod »

BM: The bold tag is actually pretty easy. It's like html, but with []'s instead of <>'s.

BOLD
See?
TheJiveMachine
TheJiveMachine
Goon
TheJiveMachine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 am

Post by TheJiveMachine »

Random Vote: Nightfall
Akbar