Mafia Talking Pre-Game

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Mafia Talking Pre-Game

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

If a game starts with Day, do you believe Mafia should be allowed to talk during the confirmation stage?
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

I generally do, yes. It's not like they can discuss anything game-related, since nothing has happened, and it allows them to sketch some basic strategy even in a Day Start game. Since they're supposed to be the Informed Minority, this seems a very reasonable power boost.
Retired as of October 2014.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

If I may play Devil's Advocate, I say No.

Otherwise, it could really screw the players up, as the mafia could create an elaborate ploy and the townies would say "Well, they couldn't have planned it beforehand because we haven't had a night phase yet".

Then again, how are you going to stop it?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
klebian
klebian
Mafia Scum
klebian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by klebian »

mikeburnfire wrote: Then again, how are you going to stop it?
well, that's a bit strange... how do you stop mafia from talking in the day?
videoguy
videoguy
Townie
videoguy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Post by videoguy »

I think they should be able to talk pre-start even in Day start games. I also think that if the specific mod allows for it, it should somehow be indicated in the rules in post 1.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Post by IH »

MBF wrote:If I may play Devil's Advocate, I say No.

Otherwise, it could really screw the players up, as the mafia could create an elaborate ploy and the townies would say "Well, they couldn't have planned it beforehand because we haven't had a night phase yet".

Then again, how are you going to stop it?
Well then that's the town's fault for believe such a fallacious argument.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:11 pm

Post by Glork »

I generally do. I think it's a general courtesy to give them some time to at least go over some general strategies. I extend the same openness to talk to Masons. I don't see it as being a problem at all. In day-start games, I can't even think of a time that I've been scum and my buddies and I have actually talked strategy.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Mr. Flay wrote:I generally do, yes. It's not like they can discuss anything game-related, since nothing has happened, and it allows them to sketch some basic strategy even in a Day Start game. Since they're supposed to be the Informed Minority, this seems a very reasonable power boost.
Glork wrote:I generally do. I think it's a general courtesy to give them some time to at least go over some general strategies. I extend the same openness to talk to Masons. I don't see it as being a problem at all. In day-start games, I can't even think of a time that I've been scum and my buddies and I have actually talked strategy.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Post by Fiasco »

Not sure I believe in having a confirmation stage in the first place. It seems like another apathizing (is that a word? it should be) waste of time. If people don't post in 2-3 days after getting their role, just replace them.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:41 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I usually do confirmations by PM if it's Night Start, definitely in thread if Day Start. One metagame thing it does is make sure that everybody has posted in the thread once, so that it can come up on their Watched Topics/Egosearch in the future - I choose to believe that it helps keep people participating better.

And anymore, I always try to remember to post in my rules that Scum can talk in the pre-game, since it became an issue in one Newbie...
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:19 am

Post by Primate »

It annoys me when I'm a mafia and we go into D1 without me knowing the roles of my scum-mates. I mean, its nice to know who the godfather is, y'know? If you don't have stuff like that in the PM's, there should at least be a chance for the mafia to tell each other.

Recently saw a flavoured game semi-broken by the mafia just not knowing that their roles were tied together, so when we did a mass soft-claim, they just floundered. Giving them the chance to talk would've removed this annoyance.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:37 am

Post by Thesp »

Primate wrote:It annoys me when I'm a mafia and we go into D1 without me knowing the roles of my scum-mates. I mean, its nice to know who the godfather is, y'know? If you don't have stuff like that in the PM's, there should at least be a chance for the mafia to tell each other.

Recently saw a flavoured game semi-broken by the mafia just not knowing that their roles were tied together, so when we did a mass soft-claim, they just floundered. Giving them the chance to talk would've removed this annoyance.
Agreed with everything here, and with Mr. Flay and Glork. Particularly, it also helps the feel and point of the game (finding links between people) when the links are given at least a couple of days to be established.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:58 am

Post by Seol »

I always
encourage
Mafia to talk night 0, and allow them to share full role PMs (as masons are permitted to do as well). I also agree with IH's comments about MBF's counterargument.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 pm

Post by AniX »

klebian wrote:
mikeburnfire wrote: Then again, how are you going to stop it?
well, that's a bit strange... how do you stop mafia from talking in the day?
Mafias not allowed to talk during the day now? Wow, have I been playing this game wrong. Good thing I'm rarely mafia.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Karo
Karo
Townie
Karo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:40 am

Post by Karo »

Absolutely not.

If I wanted them to talk before the game starts I would have started either with regular night/ cop headstart/ a custom setting, where it is explicitely stated that the mafia can talk until game start.

I like to think it builds tension for the scum who then can't wait for the night to arrive and have a more lively discussion.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:40 am

Post by AniX »

Well, judging from the amount of "sure, why not?" responses, I suggest you amend your policy to let the scum know that.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Post by Adele »

Karo wrote:Absolutely not.

If I wanted them to talk before the game starts I would have started either with regular night/ cop headstart/ a custom setting, where it is explicitely stated that the mafia can talk until game start.

I like to think it builds tension for the scum who then can't wait for the night to arrive and have a more lively discussion.
If you didnae tell me that explicitly in my role pm, I prob'ly wouldnae realise - even if you did put it in the rules. I'm not the most stringentest o' gals at reading them everytime since they tend to be mostly pretty nearly all the same.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 am

Post by Fiasco »

But it makes sense not to talk during pregame unless you have explicit permission from the mod; that way, you can be sure of not breaking the rules, and anyway it seems to me the default rule is you can't talk by PM unless you're mafia/mason and it's night.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Karo
Karo
Townie
Karo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:48 am

Post by Karo »

You have some good points, I didn't realize this is handled differently on 'scum.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:00 am

Post by Fiasco »

Karo wrote:You have some good points, I didn't realize this is handled differently on 'scum.
It shouldn't be. If the rules say "no talking by PM except at night", then talking in the pre-game is breaking the rules.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Post by AniX »

Yeah, but based on this thread, most people seem to support the practice of talking pre-game, so I would assume only the most anal of rule lawyers would go "SEOL DIDN'T SPECIFY PRE-GAME ACTIVITY!" when its quite obvious from his statements in this thread that he would support pre-game activity unless he specifically said otherwise.

Unlike I am completely baseless in my statement about Seol and others in this thread.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Post by AniX »

Fiasco wrote:But it makes sense not to talk during pregame unless you have explicit permission from the mod; that way, you can be sure of not breaking the rules, and anyway it seems to me the default rule is you can't talk by PM unless you're mafia/mason and it's night.
I don't see how something could be the "default rule" when overwhelming response to the inquiry was talking pre-game was cool and, in fact, encouraged activity.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Post by Seol »

There is a good point here, though, in that we probably need additional clarity on the issue. I'm going to take another look at my ruleset to ensure that it does explicitly permit pregame talking.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:13 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

I remember Princess Bride. I wasn't sure whether I was allowed to talk pregame, so I sent a PM. By the time I got the PM back, pregame was over. So yeah, clarity is good.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:59 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

There's a world of difference (and hence confusion) between "scum cannot talk during the Day" and "Scum can only talk at Night". If players learned the former, then talking during pregame in a Day Start game seems totally reasonable to them. Since the shift to starting with Day happened recently, I can see where it could be confusing.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”