I have been itching to post this for a while...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:53 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

JESUS F'ING H. CHRIST.

Fine.

I would not
actually
"rat out" cult-mates if I were to be recruited to a Cult. That is a stance I have
tried
to exhibit so that
I do not become cult recruited.
I really would much rather have never been forced to admit this, because now my threats will be seen as hollow in the future, and I will have that much less control over my games in the future. Thanks you
ever so much
for starting this thread.

I do, however, find it rather ironic that people are bashing me for something I
have never even done
. Even in scumchat games, which require little time and effort (much unlike forum games), I have never been so rash so as to out any of my partners. I have entertained the thought in fancies, I admit, but since when did Mafia Scum become the thought police?

I am thoroughly disgusted by the use of Cults. I do not think they should be a part of the game, but I also would not ruin a game solely because of the fact that I hate cults. I
do
play to win no matter what my win condition, but I
will
say this much:

I should
never
have to feel embarassed for winning a game. If I were to be recruited to a Cult and subsequently "win", I would be
too embarrassed
to count it as an actual win in my statistics. This in itself is an indicator that there is certainly something wrong with Cults.

I will still try to remind myself to write that essay on why I do not think Cults should be a part of Mafia, however.

Edit: In response to Flay, I have also considered asking to be replaced immediately upon being recruited, but after discussing this with a few scumchatters, I believe this would become a more-than-reliable tell in games with Cults that I (or whoever replaced me) was recruited, so I do not think that would be an entirely viable option.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:55 am

Post by Zindaras »

*sad*

I was totally planning to recruit you if I ever got the opportunity.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:59 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

PJ, you obviously have strong feelings about being a cult recruit, but would you feel the same way if you were a Vampire?

That is, you're told that you're a townie, but if you get targetted by the mafia then you become one of them and join the mafia. It would still require changing your alignment midway though the game, but you'd join the mafia instead of the cult.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:59 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Hi PJ. Glad to see it was a ruse, but now you see the peril of metagaming for future advantage; you can't really control your own future here... I was pretty sure it was all a lie anyway, but was willing to play along/discuss the hypothetical.

By the way, I didn't think people were bashing you, so much as being frank about what they'd do if you
did
do such a thing. Since you haven't, it's all hypothetical, and I will personally tear the first person to ban you from a game based on this thread a new one.

Still want to see that essay, though. :D
Retired as of October 2014.
TheEyeOfMordor
TheEyeOfMordor
Goon
TheEyeOfMordor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:01 am

Post by TheEyeOfMordor »

I have put cults into 3 of my completed games so far and as of yet they haven't managed a single recruit between them.
Usually I have Masons immune to culting and sometimes other roles are too, for instance in one game of mine the Pope(Cult Leader) could not convert heathen priests, which had some town power roles.
In the name of Mark Lazarus....
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:13 am

Post by EmpTyger »

Flay:
Mr. Flay wrote:I'm not sure why you see it as "screwing you over for good play", when there's every chance they're rewarding you (and themselves) for your good play, because it made you a good recruit possibility.
Let’s say that there’s player X and player Y, both townspeople, against cultists C1 and C2. X being the superlative mafia player that they are, cleverly analyzes the game and identifies C1 and C2 as antitowns. The town lynches C1 on D1, and C2 on D2. However, in the intervening night, the cult recruits X. So X has gotten their teammates killed by playing the best as they could. (Temporarily ignoring the factor of whether X’s actions made them more or less likely to be recruited.) Y, who did not play optimally, comes out ahead. (We can even call this pj’s Paradox, so that he gets *something* out of this thread.)
Mr. Flay wrote:EmpTyger, I'm completely opposed to declaring games "cult free", just like I am for declaring them "scum mason free" or "Godfather free" or anything else. AFAIK, cults are outside the parameters for "Normal" games, so anyone who wants to avoid them entirely has the option to play just those style of games. Obviously an Open game would declare if it had a Cult Recruiter.
Yeah, I know. There are oodles of problems with the idea, but I figured it was worth mentioning in case there was some workaround I couldn’t think of.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:24 am

Post by mith »

pj wrote:I would not actually "rat out" cult-mates if I were to be recruited to a Cult. That is a stance I have tried to exhibit so that I do not become cult recruited. I really would much rather have never been forced to admit this, because now my threats will be seen as hollow in the future, and I will have that much less control over my games in the future. Thanks you ever so much for starting this thread.
pj, I guessed it was something along those lines, but I felt the question needed to be asked because in my view there are actually two different ethical problems here:

The first is: Is ratting out your cult-mates acceptable? Everyone seems to agree that the answer to this is no, which is good. This is the one thing I've banned people for in the past.

The second, though: Is it acceptable to make threats of this nature at all, even if you aren't going to carry them out? And here I also say no. To me, this is similar to a threat like "Don't lynch/recruit/kill/vote/whatever me, or I'll come to your house and beat you up". You may not actually intend to do it, and most people may know you don't intend to do it, but if even one person takes the threat seriously, I can't consider it a "fair" play.

In general, I agree with you on cults. We've had a whole Ethics thread about them, and maybe it should feature more prominently in how-to-mod type things on the wiki. (On the other hand, after the ethics discussion I deliberately put recruiting zombies in MeMeMeet Mafia - though in that case it was very much thematic, and I think the way they recruited eliminated many of the potential ethical problems.) I look forward to your essay.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Previous thread on balancing cults: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4130
Also, PJ last September in that thread (just in case anyone thinks he's not being consistent) wrote:Best way to balance cults:

Don't use cults.
:lol:
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:10 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Late entry.
Zindaras wrote:
Fiasco wrote:No, it's clearly unethical. You can't rat out your partners; it ruins the game.
It may be unethical, but there's no rule against it, so he is allowed to do it.
Actually I explicitly banned this in the ruleset of my fifth game.

Not that I would have tolerated it prior to this. I insist that players have a responsibility to use common sense no matter what the ruleset, and that actually has been added to my ruleset also.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 am

Post by Glork »

Mr. Flay wrote:By the way, I didn't think people were bashing you, so much as being frank about what they'd do if you
did
do such a thing.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:14 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

For the record, PJ and I were partners in the game in question. We both hate cults primarily because their existence wrecks scumhunting to a great extent.

But yeah, we decided that due to PJ's well-known public loathing for cults, the best way to get cult not to target us (we were scum) was to make a fuss. And boy did PJ make a fuss :)

If we were recruited, I'm 98% certain PJ wouldn't have ratted us out. And since that matches what he's saying here, I think everyone should give him the benefit of the doubt and turn this into a discussion on the hypothetical issue at hand.

Personally, I don't think it's ethical to rat your team out. Replacement, as Flay said, is the preferable alternative. Preferably a subtly carried out replacement, not one that makes the happening obvious.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:19 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

Dont cults usually DIE if they try to recruit scum? You should have been begging to be recruited.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:22 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

Not necessarily, and since we were the only remaining scum, we'd have been outed in the eyes of all other cult members.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:28 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

They should die, otherwise they become a cult cop which is even worse. See Wheel of Time for an example.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am

Post by Glork »

Mr. Flay wrote:They should die, otherwise they become a cult cop which is even worse. See Wheel of Time for an example.
In the game in question (Two-Headed Mafia), the cult leaders found two of the members of our 3-giant mafia (Pooky/Adele, then Glork/MoS) because they tried recruiting us.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 am

Post by Seol »

If PJ's threat was something that would only have ruined the game for the cult, that, in my opinion, is fair game. Trouble is, Mafia doesn't work like that - the threat is one of wrecking the entire game. Indicating you're willing to wreck the entire game because of a legal in-game action is, I have to say, massively offensive - even if you're not intending to follow through. I appreciate the thought process (and, FWIW, I dislike cults immensely too), but if an action is that taboo (and it is), then threatening it is taboo too.

ie I agree with mith.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:29 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

if I can restrict the Cults' choices by threatening to rat them out upon recruitment, I have just given myself that much more control of the game
Then if you didn't like being mafia, would you agree it would be ok to threaten mods that you would out your scumbuddies if they made you mafia?

Sabotaging a game like this is completely and totally unacceptable. I am shocked to hear it coming from a respected player like PJ.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:33 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

petroleumjelly wrote: TSQ, you might as well name this thread "The Entirity of Mafia Scum v PJ". Thanks.
PJ, It was never my intention to call you out, or make this you v. everyone else. I deliberately edited names out of posts in order to discuss this without people feeling personally attacked.

I apologize if I have failed in that purpose.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

I think I should point out the irony of PJ's actions in that game. Because he made such a fuss about, I would've been recruited and as such the cult would've won if kleb hadn't forgotten to send in a choice that fateful Night.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

mith wrote:The second, though: Is it acceptable to make threats of this nature at all, even if you aren't going to carry them out? And here I also say no. To me, this is similar to a threat like "Don't lynch/recruit/kill/vote/whatever me, or I'll come to your house and beat you up". You may not actually intend to do it, and most people may know you don't intend to do it, but if even one person takes the threat seriously, I can't consider it a "fair" play.
1.) I have not advocated my "I'll rat you out if you cult recruit me"
except
for
during
a mafia game (or when people question me about such an on-going game). I would of course have
liked
people to have assumed that I am not a wise cult recruit target in any given game (because I would much rather avoid recruitment if at all possible), but it's not as if I start every game with the qualifier "Don't recruit me, or I'll rat you out", specifically because I am using the statement as a strategic means to better my chances in a given game.

2.) I do not consider my "threat" particularly egregious, although I can understand the "shock".

->
A.
These statements are made
in-game
, and they are to remain
in-game
. I do not carry grudges across games, nor would I threaten someone physically for something which happened in a game (such as the "or I'll beat you up" example mith portrays).

->
B.
As such, I use my threat as a
tool
at my disposal. I consider it similar to:

~ "If you try to lynch me today, I will do all that is in my power to have you nightkilled by so-and-so."
~ "If you do not answer my question, I will kill you tonight [with my Vigilante power]."
~ "If you try to track me tonight, I will give you a posting restriction."

In each case, you are using
words
as a
tool
in order to do what is possible to
restrain
or
deter
somebody from taking an action which you do not want to occur,
in the context of the game
. Thus, I consider saying:

~ "If you try to recruit me tonight, I will rat you out tomorrow" as a means to restrain somebody from trying to recruit you, I consider it fair game. After all, I am
trying
to fulfill my winning condition.

Of course some players are going to see this as "fighting dirty", but the fact is, I am trying my damnedest to win with the
win condition that was given to me
, and if I find making in-game threats as necessary and proper to achieve that end, I will do so.

GreenLiquid: Telling a mod
before the game
, therefore, "don't give me this role or I'll [blankity-blank-blank]" is not an option. You do not yet have your winning condition,
and
you are not yet in the context of a game. The two do not compare.

TSQ: I know you meant well, but considering 34 players+ participated in 2-Headed Mafia (and others have presumably browsed it), it was obvious that somebody was going to make a reference to me eventually, if not immediately.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

the easiest way to solve the whole dilemna is to consider your alignment unchanged while still doing the best you can for the cult.

In a realistic gameplay standpoint, you don't really "win" by being turned into the mindless slave of a cult leader.. if your cult wins, you shouldn't consider that a win. If your cult loses, and your original alignment you should consider that a win.

However you still must play as well for the cult as you possibly can because you are the helpless slave of your cult master it would be completely out of character to do otherwise.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Post by GreenLiquid »

Telling a mod before the game, therefore, "don't give me this role or I'll [blankity-blank-blank]" is not an option. You do not yet have your winning condition, and you are not yet in the context of a game. The two do not compare.
But they do. Making these statements is blackmailing someone: the only difference is who you're blackmailing. You either don't like cult role so blackmail cult leader or don't like mafia and blackmail the mod. And in game/not arguments are moot. You're not using it as a strategy, you're using it because you hate the role.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

No, GreenLiquid, they don't.

By threatening the cult
in game
, my
purpose
is to try to win the game with my
win condition as presented to me
. It may be the case (in fact, it is the case) that I hate cults.

But that does not invalidate the strategies I use in games to achieve the ultimate goal of fulfilling my win conditions.

You are essentially saying:
GL, essentially wrote:You hate cults, so you can't possibly be using strategy when you use threats against cults.
Try looking in the Logical Fallacies section of the Wiki before making that attack on me again. I should give you a Mr. Yuck sticker for even going there.

Furthermore, there is a LARGE difference between
in-game
threats and
out-of-game
threats. I should not need to explain this again.
GreenLiquid wrote:Making these statements is blackmailing someone: the only difference is who you're blackmailing. You either don't like cult role so blackmail cult leader or don't like mafia and blackmail the mod.
Blackmailing (which is actually the incorrect term here; I want to say "coercion", but that doesn't really fit the bill either) is FAIR GAME so long as it remains completely in context of the GAME.

For example, I couldn't use photographs from outside circumstances to threaten somebody "If you do X, I will reveal these photographs which could ruin your
actual
life", but saying something like "If you do X, I will reveal in-game information about you which will be to your detriment" is perfectly acceptable. I am using the
tools
available to me
in-game
to
affect
people's choices to
my advantage
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:20 pm

Post by Fiasco »

PJ, do you disagree with the principle that it's unethical to make a threat that you can't ethically follow through on? I think that's a good principle -- for all the people in that game knew, you were actually going to ruin it, and I think it's unfair for you to benefit from that possibility.

I'm glad you don't actually think outing your cultmates is OK. I object to people lying about ethics (or strategy) issues in Mafia Discussion, but I can understand why you did it.
PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:In a realistic gameplay standpoint, you don't really "win" by being turned into the mindless slave of a cult leader.. if your cult wins, you shouldn't consider that a win. If your cult loses, and your original alignment you should consider that a win.
Well, realistic bishops have no problems walking in main compass directions, but that shouldn't affect the rules of chess.
Last edited by Fiasco on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:22 pm

Post by MrBuddyLee »

Basically, the logical conclusion derived here is that you should ignore such threats, because if the player actually carried them out, their reputation would be ruined.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”