Role Idea: Fugitive

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Elephant Hell
Elephant Hell
Townie
Elephant Hell
Townie
Townie

Role Idea: Fugitive

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:02 am

Post by Elephant Hell »

The Fugutive is someone which has escaped from prison or committed a crime and is on the run from the police. Mechanics-wise, they would be similar to a Hider - each night they can choose another player to hide with to avoid being killed that night. However, there are four main differences:

1) They can hide with anti-town roles without being killed (perhaps they can hide safely only with the Mafia and not Serial Killers).

2) Hiding also 'protects' them from investigations, in that any player investigating them whilst they are hiding will not receive a result.

3) If they hide with, or are investigated by, a Cop or other law-themed role (such as an FBI Agent) they are imprisoned (mechanics-wise, they die).

4) For fear of being recognized they cannot hide with the same player twice.

They would probably be either pro-town (because they have to wait for the commotion and the violence to stop before they can quickly and quietly escape without much fuss) or a Survivor (because they want to survive, obviously).
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:50 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

I don't see how this role works out as pro-town. The only use for their power is to ferret out the investigators. They can't find out who scum is with their ability, so I don't get the pro-town alignment.

A survivor though, would work out.
Blank.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:57 am

Post by Primate »

SV: It's unightkillable. It's not the most useful pro-town ability in the world, but it's not too bad.

Role itself seems ok. Not simple enough to become a standard, just enough of a stretch from a normal ability/flavour for it to feel natural, useful, has play nuances to use. I don't mind it. The fact that they die if the person they hide with is investigated is a little clunky, but it's a perfectly flavourful extension of the original hider mechanic, and cool enough to keep in.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

I think a Survivor-alignment would make more thematic sense.

It is a good role idea.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:43 am

Post by Zindaras »

It seems like a pretty cool twist on the Hider role.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:09 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

It sounds good, either as pro-town or as survivor.

Is the role a miller? (That is, someone who looks guilty to cop invetsigations?) That would make sense, and wouldn't be an unfair disadvantage if you're immune to cop investigations while hiding.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:31 am

Yosarian2 wrote:Is the role a miller? (That is, someone who looks guilty to cop invetsigations?) That would make sense, and wouldn't be an unfair disadvantage if you're immune to cop investigations while hiding.
No, it's not a Miller. They die upon a successful investigation.

ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:Is the role a miller? (That is, someone who looks guilty to cop invetsigations?) That would make sense, and wouldn't be an unfair disadvantage if you're immune to cop investigations while hiding.
Puts a new spin on the term 'death miller'.

I like the role, by the way.
#greenshirtthursdays
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
Ah, interesting, I missed that.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:54 pm

Post by IH »

I think it'd be kinda interesting if the person the cop caught him with was either blocked or killed also...

You know, for hiding the person or such.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Elephant Hell
Elephant Hell
Townie
Elephant Hell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Elephant Hell »

Being RBed is probably enough.

Anyways, I have a few other rough ideas:

1) The
Overworked Cop
(could also be used for Docs). Each night they choose two people who are added to a list of players the
Overworked Cop
wantsa to investigate. They'll investigate the player at the top of the list each night (once a player is investigated they're removed from the list).They must submit two players if they want to investigate anyone.

2) The
Surveillance Cop
can bug a player's phones each night to see if they contact anyone else during the night (mechanics-wise, if they're part of a group of players, such as Masons, Cults or Mafia as well as the linked roles of Siblings and Lovers). Not too sure whether this one's balanced.

3) The
Paramedic
can choose one player each night to protect from one daykill the following day.

Not sure how good these are.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 am

Elephant Hell wrote:Being RBed is probably enough.

Anyways, I have a few other rough ideas:

1) The
Overworked Cop
(could also be used for Docs). Each night they choose two people who are added to a list of players the
Overworked Cop
wantsa to investigate. They'll investigate the player at the top of the list each night (once a player is investigated they're removed from the list).They must submit two players if they want to investigate anyone.

2) The
Surveillance Cop
can bug a player's phones each night to see if they contact anyone else during the night (mechanics-wise, if they're part of a group of players, such as Masons, Cults or Mafia as well as the linked roles of Siblings and Lovers). Not too sure whether this one's balanced.

3) The
Paramedic
can choose one player each night to protect from one daykill the following day.

Not sure how good these are.
After a certain time it would become pointless for an Overworked Cop to keep submitting names because they'd never be able to use them. I think I've seen something similar - a role when at the start of the game the player (mith?) submitted a list of all the players in the game in order of who he would most like to investigate, and each night got a result on the next person from the top of the list.

I don't think the Surveillance Cop is well-balanced, because there are so many more mafia than masons. At least with regular cops you can have millers, godfathers and the like, whereas here if you get a guilty result you can be almost certain it's scum. I think it's a bit too unbalanced.

Paramedic spoils the surprise of daykills, which is a large part of why I like them. I guess it's fine mechanically though.
#greenshirtthursdays
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:33 am

ChannelDelibird wrote:After a certain time it would become pointless for an Overworked Cop to keep submitting names because they'd never be able to use them. I think I've seen something similar - a role when at the start of the game the player (mith?) submitted a list of all the players in the game in order of who he would most like to investigate, and each night got a result on the next person from the top of the list.
This is called the Methodical Cop.

I don't think a Surveillance Cop is necessary unbalanced, but I don't like it that much anyhow. Outing a Mason group isn't that bad for the town. The cop's inability to distinguish between mafia and masons can hardly be considered a disadvantage.

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't much care for the Surveillance Cop, but the Overworked one is a good variant. Players will also drop off if they are killed, and presumably the cop can blank investigations on people if something happens to make the investigation moot? Not sure what that would be, but I'd hate to investigate someone N3 when they said something D2 that made us 100% sure they were town/scum.

Paramedic is okay, but fairly useless given the rarity of daykills and the additional metric that they have to pick the person who will be daykilled before the daykill is made. A 50% chance to block any daykill made, or a one-time 100% rescue shot, might be better balanced.

I think I like the Fugitive idea, though it seems more like a Survivor than a pro-town role.
Retired as of October 2014.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

Oops. I misread point 3 for survivor and I thought he'd be dead. Hence not unnightkillable.

Agree with CDB here that surveillance cops are probably unbalanced.

I'd probably put the overworked cop in only to balance an underpowered scum, perhaps... I can't really think of a scenaio to put him in.
Blank.
livingod
livingod
Goon
livingod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:48 am

Post by livingod »

Surveillance cop: Say he investigates someone, say person X. He gets reported back that Person X has been in contact with V, W, Y, and Z. Hmm, a five man mason group, suspicious. They can't be masons, they have to be the mafia or cult. So now not only did our cop find one scum, he found ALL of the scum. VERY overpowering.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:51 am

Livingod - the description is that the Surveillance Cop is only told whether their target contacted anyone, not who they contacted.
#greenshirtthursdays
livingod
livingod
Goon
livingod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 am

Post by livingod »

Aha!
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:58 am

However, to an extent you can get more than one scum with one investigation.

If I was the Surveillance Cop, I might claim as soon as I had one result. With the statistical probability that I am more likely to have found a mafia than a mason, I would say "Player X, you conducted night talk last night. Why, and who with?". If they're a mason they can confirm themselves and the town gets a bit pissed off, but if they are scum, they are forced to claim mason or something stupid. So even if one of their scumbuddies backs up the mason claim, as soon as one dies the other's down the toilet.
#greenshirtthursdays
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:00 am

Post by IH »

Oh. Sounds kinda like a tracker, but to a different/lesser extent.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Elephant Hell
Elephant Hell
Townie
Elephant Hell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:09 am

Post by Elephant Hell »

Mr. Flay wrote:I don't much care for the Surveillance Cop, but the Overworked one is a good variant. Players will also drop off if they are killed, and presumably the cop can blank investigations on people if something happens to make the investigation moot? Not sure what that would be, but I'd hate to investigate someone N3 when they said something D2 that made us 100% sure they were town/scum.
Players would drop off if they died, but other than that the Cop would be stuck with their list.
Paramedic is okay, but fairly useless given the rarity of daykills and the additional metric that they have to pick the person who will be daykilled before the daykill is made. A 50% chance to block any daykill made, or a one-time 100% rescue shot, might be better balanced.
I like those ideas better than my original one, although if I ever used the original Paramedic it would probably be in a game with a day-SK, who has a motive to kill every day.
I think I like the Fugitive idea, though it seems more like a Survivor than a pro-town role.
If I ever use it I'll probably use it as a Survivor rather than the pro-town version I suggested initially.
I'd probably put the overworked cop in only to balance an underpowered scum, perhaps... I can't really think of a scenaio to put him in.
I'd probably add him in as an addition to an ordinary Sane Cop as an alternative to a non-Sane Cop.

A few other rough roles:

The
Achilles
is a Serial Killer with full nightkill- and investigation-immunity. However, there is also another player out there, a randomly selected Innocent (Townie on this forum) who is their
Achilles Heel
and may or may not know that they are that role. If the
Achilles
targets them the
Achilles
dies instead and that player survives.

The
Shoplifter
is an Inventor who can steal an item from a list they're given in their role PM and fence it off to another player each night. However, if investigated on any night they give another player an item the item is lost permanently. They appear as innocent to Cops, but possibly with a small note to the effect that they're a local smalltime criminal.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”