Mega Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Mega Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 9:45 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

I was thinking about this idea for some time now. It's a mafia with more than 100 players. They don't talk in one topic, but in one forum. Everything is like 10 times as much as a mini, so 25-35 scum, 40-90 townies, maybe 10 mods, 10 lynches each day, a lot of kills each night. The lynching and voting would be much different, if there are 10 lynches a day. I would think that rather than more than 50% of the votes for one lynch, more than 5% for the votes would be needed for one lynch, but 10 times a day. This will result in a slight advantage for the mafia, because they can just vote on the same person and he would immediately get lynched. Once a person is lynched, the ones who voted him can't vote for somebody else, unless a new day started of course. The different topics could be: "reasons to vote lawrencelot", "lynch the lurkers or not?", "roleclaims", "main discussion", etc. And some sticky topics: "votecounts", "rules", "results N1", etc.

This is just an idea, I would like to hear your opinion on this. If this idea is completely worked out and there are people who want to mod this, we could ask the admin to make a forum for it (don't think this would happen soon). It would take a lot of time and effort though.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 9:52 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Personally I think 20+ games already suffer from there being too many players to get a good grasp of them until some time in.
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 9:55 am

Post by bigAl »

See this: for a theoretical discussion: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3589

While interesting in theory, I think that it's absolutely impossible in reality. The shear number of replacements alone would be a big bottleneck, let alone finding that many people to sign up.

Also, 25-35 mafia is probably far far too many. For 100 players, no more than 10-15
max
I think would balanced.
Come play Metroplexity! Come play Unangband!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:00 am

Post by xyzzy »

I've often wondered about doing such a game; you'd need to have tons of stuff in it, though.

Two, maybe even three mafia families, multiple cops dealing only with one family, a cult (or three), several mason groups, multiple doctors, and multiple SKs.

It'd be better tournament style: 8 minis, with the winners going on to one larger-than-normal game, perhaps 32 players.

32 players is a lot more manageable than 96... :P
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:22 am

Post by Phoebus »

not going to happen
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:43 am

Post by Aimee »

Oh gosh. It would need its own replacement thread. And think of all the night choices you would get... a bit too unrealistic.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:49 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Actually xyzzy I don't see any particular reason why a 100p game couldn't be vanilla nightless...
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 11:13 am

Post by beanbagboy »

I think that if the mafia members were broken up into many, many families it could work with that many, although I agree it is extreme.

Crazy? Yes. Possible? Yes. Hectic? Yes. Would I try it? Um... *dodges question*
Meh... I got distracted by something shiny, leaving MS. Possibly returnage soonfuls.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Post by xyzzy »

...Hmm. That would work.

Interesting. Now I must attempt this someday.

Is the mafia generally allowed to talk to each other in nightless?
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Some don't like this idea because of the balance, some don't like it because it would take too much effort, and some like it. I expected this. About the balance: I don't think that would be a problem, you could let there be less mafia, and with 10 lynches a day the town has a big advantage during day if 10-20 people are killed at night.

The modding and replacements is the main problem of course. What would happen if you don't replace? The modding could be solved if there are many mods. One mod to send the townie role pms, one for mafia role pms, one to who you can send your night choices if you have a power role, one if you are mafia, one mod to do the votecounts, one to write the scenes, etc.

If anything is well organized I think it would be possible (though it would still cost a lot of effort of course). The replacements may be the biggest problem.
Nightson
Nightson
Goon
Nightson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2007 12:32 am

Post by Nightson »

I don't think it would be that hard. It'd lose half the players in just four game days. Another day or two and you'd be in much more manageable game size territory.
"Faust complained about having two souls in his breast, but I harbor a whole crowd of them and they quarrel. It is like being in a republic." ~Otto von Bismarck
Dr. Blackstrike
Dr. Blackstrike
Goon
Dr. Blackstrike
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2007 12:40 am

Post by Dr. Blackstrike »

Nightson wrote:I don't think it would be that hard. It'd lose half the players in just four game days. Another day or two and you'd be in much more manageable game size territory.
Maybe, but the vote tallies would be a pain.
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.

[size=75] Last edited by Dr. Blackstrike on Sat Sep 05, 2007 8:38 am; edited 1 times in total [/size]
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2007 12:40 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, but how long would those four game days take? And then you'd have a 'full' Large Game ahead of you still (with no idea of the balance at that point). Burnout would be a real problem unless deadlines were crazy tight. You're esssentially talking about a game as big as all of Little Italy right now...

All of that said, I think it'd be possible in six months to a year, given our current growth patterns. I'm just not sure how much fun it would be, and I'd like to see us run a couple of good 30 to 40-player games first. Right this moment, replacements are a huge issue across the entire site...
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Lol. I must make up a law about the frequency with which people come up with completely impractical Mafia set ups, involving scores/hundreds/infinite numbers of players
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2007 7:21 am

Post by xyzzy »

Y'know, you could just force players to put an updated vote count in every post they vote in. Then it's not a matter of counting them, just checking that they weren't wrong.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Yeah, that'll make people more likely to participate :roll:
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2007 8:21 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Nah, I don't think the votecounts are that hard if there are multiple mods. I pictured it this way: if you want to vote a player, you have to make a thread (if nobody else voted him before) in which all votes (and unvotes) for that particular player are placed. The mod can just count the votes in that thread to see how many votes one player has. Then one mod keeps track of 20 players or so. Unvoted is also needed in most normal mafias, but in this one it has to be done in the thread where you voted last, to prevent double votes.
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 am

Post by Macros »

one thread a load of mods. i think it would be doable.
A mod or two for kills/ docs, a mod for cops etc. then all chip in for vote counts, set a thresehold to be lynched, day ends when 80% of players have voted, say a 25% vote or something as a lynchmark.
Oh the huge manatee!!
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 10:41 am

Post by Macros »

oh, but until like day 4, a thread a day.
Oh the huge manatee!!
PurpleKoopa
PurpleKoopa
Townie
PurpleKoopa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 10:48 am

Post by PurpleKoopa »

You can have a zillion mods for something like this, but it won't work. 100+ people is simply way too much work for a player when it comes to reading the thread and stuff. So it's not a matter about mods, it's about the effort required for the players.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

That's why it's not in one thread, but a whole forum. One thread is one discussion, and all threads are part of the same game. Theres also one thread for each player you want to vote on.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 1:16 am

Post by xyzzy »

So, are you saying that if, for instance, someone's suspicious of me, they'd just point it out in a thread all about me?

...Wow. A thread all about me. Gee.
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 3:51 am

Post by Xdaamno »

It could be done in a tournament-kind of manner. For example, there's eight games of twelve players all in their own thread, and when there's say four people left in each they merge into a new set of games, and eventually it'll progress to the 'finals'.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 4:24 am

Post by Primate »

Xdaamno wrote:It could be done in a tournament-kind of manner. For example, there's eight games of twelve players all in their own thread, and when there's say four people left in each they merge into a new set of games, and eventually it'll progress to the 'finals'.
Replacements would make this difficult.
PurpleKoopa
PurpleKoopa
Townie
PurpleKoopa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 10, 2007 5:25 am

Post by PurpleKoopa »

Lawrencelot wrote:That's why it's not in one thread, but a whole forum. One thread is one discussion, and all threads are part of the same game. Theres also one thread for each player you want to vote on.
Yes, but even if you split it up, 100+ people is massive, so the number of threads to be have to read would also be large. A player having to refer to the thread will still have lots of work. Plus, with separation of threads, it feels less like one game.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”